What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately Eagle Rare is no longer easily available, Publix has stopped getting it, and ABC is getting very limited monthly.
That is insane... it's everywhere here. I know it's your jam, GB. Let me know if you ever need a couple 1.75L's (generally $50-55) or 750mls ($30ish) sent your way. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Buffalo Trace needs to be mentioned in this thread.
BT is a tasty younger version of Eagle Rare (7-9yrs old - same mashbill). Provides a very solid value. I target good single barrel selections / store picks to use for folks who want to mix (while it's still plenty good to drink neat or on the rocks, IMO). 

I love trying to find the best bourbon for the money.  My list goes:

Buffalo Trace

Eagle Rare

Elijah Craig

Four Roses

Bulleit

Maybe Eagle Rare goes on the top of the list.  Need to do another taste test. 

I love trying to find the best bourbon for the money.  My list goes:

Buffalo Trace

Eagle Rare

Elijah Craig

Four Roses

Bulleit

Maybe Eagle Rare goes on the top of the list.  Need to do another taste test. 
Interesting side note on your rankings

Four Roses makes Bulleit's bourbon, so props on your palate for bucketing them together. Also, BT and ER are the same mashbill/distillery with just a couple years between them, so also nice consistency. EC being the lone Heaven Hill distillate, lands squarely in the middle of the pack. Do you know if you were tasting EC12 or EC Small Batch? 

This would be my ranking of these as well, except with ER atop this heap. 

Not looking forward to the prices of the Buffalo Trace OFC
Old school White Corn recipe... should be interesting. I wasn't a huge fan of Woodford's experiments with white corn, but just about anything Buffalo Trace releases under the EH Taylor line is gold, so I'm sure it'll be tasty. 

EDIT: Wow I didn't realize they were doing a full OFC line. I had heard about an EH Taylor OFC release that was going to be White Corn based... but hadn't heard about this luxe release. That's something I'm not even going to try for :lol:

Thanks for posting that [icon].  Just forwarded the link over to the guys at Southernsmoke.org.  Seems like that is a very good fit.

And how the Hell do you find OWA 107?  That was my regular drinker until it vanished off the shelves about a year ago.

As stated above by some folks, there is a lot of remarkable stuff out there that's easily available at a great price. You could do a LOT worse than grabbing a bottle of

1) blantons (single barrel, high rye mashbill : ~9yr : $50)

2) eagle rare (single barrel, low rye Mashbill : 10yr :  $30)

3) Larceny or Old Weller Antique 107pf (wheated mashbill : ~6-8yr : $22-30) 

For $100-110 you're trying the 3 basic different styles of bourbon. From there you can get a nice idea of where your palate sits. 

Do you already drink your scotch neat, or do you use water/Ice? 
Thanks, I will see if I can't find these to get started.

I typically drink my scotch neat.  Occasionally but rarely one ice cube.

[icon] said:
Interesting side note on your rankings

Four Roses makes Bulleit's bourbon, so props on your palate for bucketing them together. Also, BT and ER are the same mashbill/distillery with just a couple years between them, so also nice consistency. EC being the lone Heaven Hill distillate, lands squarely in the middle of the pack. Do you know if you were tasting EC12 or EC Small Batch? 

This would be my ranking of these as well, except with ER atop this heap. 

Eagle Rare could go as number one on the list. I haven't had it in awhile. I have EC small batch on my shelf. Is EC 12 better?  The Bulleit 10 year is noticeably better than the standard Bulleit 

Living along the KY bourbon trail, I have to agree with Buffalo Trace. 

Angel's Envy is very good.

A name to file away and keep in mind for later: Dueling Barrels.  It is coming and is based from the Hatfield/McCoy feud in the eastern KY region. It will have bourbon, LEGAL MOONSHINE, and beer, whiskey.  I have been on the front end of a sample test and I think people will like it. 

I absolutely love these threads. A few years back there was another of these that turned me on to some incredible tastes. Eagle Rare, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace are all great drinks in front of an open fire, my preferred setting.

2 James makes a really good bourbon: Grass Widow. It's really scarce though and not easy to get ahold of. It's not on the level of a Blantons or EH Taylor, but it's really well done.

Thanks for posting that [icon].  Just forwarded the link over to the guys at Southernsmoke.org.  Seems like that is a very good fit.

And how the Hell do you find OWA 107?  That was my regular drinker until it vanished off the shelves about a year ago.
I stock up when I find it.. A buddy picked up the two 1.75 for me last week from a store pick sale at a local shop that has a good taster (so they usually pick good barrels). I have another local shop a buddy owns who holds them behind the counter. I can go grab them anytime at $29.99. I think he's got 8 bottles back there right now. If you ever need one or two I'm happy to buy and ship (within reason). :)

Same guy usually holds me 1-2 handles (1.75L) and 2-3 750ml of Weller 12 whenever it hits the shelves. Crazy but the handles are going for $250+ on secondary market right now, and I wouldn't sell mine for that. 

My GOAL is to land another WLW this year as I'm down to my last one (about 80% left or so). When the release comes I'm thinking about heading up to my favorite watering hole for whiskey wednesday where they do double 1.5oz pours on wednesday. Their Antique Collection is $20/pour so it would be about $150 for the full bottle. Going to see if my usual girl will sell it to me. Will bring my empty 2015 bottle up there to swap out if she needs a bottle to turn in. Fingers Crossed. 

[icon]By definition, moonshine is illegal, so they are contradicting themselves[/icon]
quality ball-busting.  :D

Definitely a lot of folks in here who know much more than I do and have been in the game a lot longer than I have... but just try to share info/whiskey when applicable.  :P

Unfortunately Eagle Rare is no longer easily available, Publix has stopped getting it, and ABC is getting very limited monthly.
The ABC people told me that they have been getting it in quarterly, because the makers can't keep up with the demand. They don't have enough 10 year old bottles to distribute everywhere on a consistent basis cause they keep running out. At its price point it has become very popular, and they need to make more.

The ABC people told me that they have been getting it in quarterly, because the makers can't keep up with the demand. They don't have enough 10 year old bottles to distribute everywhere on a consistent basis cause they keep running out. At its price point it has become very popular, and they need to make more.
BT is slowly ramping up production, but the bourbon boom is only a few years old, and this stuff takes a decade in oak to make. Stuff we're drinking today is based on Bourbon demand in 2005-6. They have to tread lightly because this boom will likely roll back a bit sometime in the future and they risk running into a glut of excess product like in the 80s/90s.

BT no doubt overships certain markets (I can't swing a stick without knocking over 20 bottles of ER10) while slowing to address new demand in other markets. 

I live about 1/2 hour NW of Omaha, there's a locally made Bourbon called Soldier Valley that I've been enjoying a lot lately. Probably have to special order it if you're not close to NE. I believe it's made in Bellevue, which is the part of Omaha where Offutt AFB is located

Purchased a bottle of Butcher's Bourbon Prime Cut Tennessee Straight Bourbon Whiskey 8yrs old while in Tennessee this weekend.  The local liquor store guy told me it was local, etc.  It tastes "sweeter" than what I am used to.  Just compared it to Angel's Envy and Ealge Rare and I can definitely taste a much sweeter taste.  Is that a difference between Kentucky bourbon and Tennessee bourbon (or are they the same) or is that just something different they are doing?

Almost bought a $300 bottle of WhistlePig at a Tennessee store too.  Forget why it was so special.  It was up on a top shelf and I asked the guy working about it.  As soon as he said $300 my wife was like "seriously?".  I told her it was special and I probably should buy it but she was full of  :rolleyes: .  I decided to pass on it. :lmao:

I need to buy about 5 Gallons of bourbon and I dont want to spend a ridiculous pile of money. If you had to drink a bourbon that was in the 20 dollar a bottle range, what would you pick? According to reviews online seems old fitz and evan williams are ok. 

I stock up when I find it.. A buddy picked up the two 1.75 for me last week from a store pick sale at a local shop that has a good taster (so they usually pick good barrels). I have another local shop a buddy owns who holds them behind the counter. I can go grab them anytime at $29.99. I think he's got 8 bottles back there right now. If you ever need one or two I'm happy to buy and ship (within reason). :)

Same guy usually holds me 1-2 handles (1.75L) and 2-3 750ml of Weller 12 whenever it hits the shelves. Crazy but the handles are going for $250+ on secondary market right now, and I wouldn't sell mine for that. 

My GOAL is to land another WLW this year as I'm down to my last one (about 80% left or so). When the release comes I'm thinking about heading up to my favorite watering hole for whiskey wednesday where they do double 1.5oz pours on wednesday. Their Antique Collection is $20/pour so it would be about $150 for the full bottle. Going to see if my usual girl will sell it to me. Will bring my empty 2015 bottle up there to swap out if she needs a bottle to turn in. Fingers Crossed. 
That's a brilliant idea.  I had WLW for the first time at a bar in Columbia, SC a few months ago and it is my favorite by far.  Heading to NOLA next week and happy to see the place we are going for dinner has it.  Haven't seen it anywhere in FL.

I need to buy about 5 Gallons of bourbon and I dont want to spend a ridiculous pile of money. If you had to drink a bourbon that was in the 20 dollar a bottle range, what would you pick? According to reviews online seems old fitz and evan williams are ok. 
Try Larceny. Very reasonable and very high marks from places that give those marks. It's tasty

A local liquor store bought a barrel of Knob Creek single barrel 120 proof. Got two bottles tonight. Had them both etched. 

"If you're mixing use something else" and "Drinking without permission will be harmful to your health"

Pretty tasty stuff. Barrel was aged 13 years. 

Weller 12yr is hitting around here. Since it's a once a year thing, and I actually enjoy drinking the stuff, I have to run out and grab some while it's hitting. Walk in a shop today and hold the door for a guy wielding this dolly.... nice timing. Grabbed one 750ml bottle (at $59.99  <_< ) and left the rest for others.

HIt two other shops (0 bottles at all this year, 2 bottles and both gone) then hit my favorite spot where my buddy manages and he slides a 1.75L across the counter at me when I walk in. I greatly prefer THAT size at the $60 price point... 

May luck into another bottle or two but that should hold me over for the year with what I've already got on hand. My tastes are trending heavily toward barrel proof stuff these days anyway. 

Weller 12yr is hitting around here. Since it's a once a year thing, and I actually enjoy drinking the stuff, I have to run out and grab some while it's hitting. Walk in a shop today and hold the door for a guy wielding this dolly.... nice timing. Grabbed one 750ml bottle (at $59.99  <_< ) and left the rest for others.

HIt two other shops (0 bottles at all this year, 2 bottles and both gone) then hit my favorite spot where my buddy manages and he slides a 1.75L across the counter at me when I walk in. I greatly prefer THAT size at the $60 price point... 

May luck into another bottle or two but that should hold me over for the year with what I've already got on hand. My tastes are trending heavily toward barrel proof stuff these days anyway. 
I called around just now in NE GA, but it sounds like it hit here a couple of weeks ago.  :kicksrock:

I called around just now in NE GA, but it sounds like it hit here a couple of weeks ago.  :kicksrock:
Yeah unfortunately it's at the point you kinda have to either be there when it hits (as in, within a few hours), or be lucky enough to have it held back for ya by someone at the store. Good news is, there are more good bourbon options than ever before so whiffing on Weller isn't the end of the world. :)

Glenfiddich 15 - Solera Reserve

OK, this isn't a bourbon but by defination a scotch. Throwing it in here because as a scotch drinker this is the most bourbon tasting scotch that I've tried. It's not smokey or peaty like the most traditional scotch whisky. The reason for it having this flavor is because it uses the the Solera aging process with sherry and bourbon casks described below.

If you like bourbon but hestitant on scotch I recommend giving it a try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Solera system:
They take 15 year-old Glenfiddich from ex-sherry casks, ex-bourbon casks, and also ex-bourbon hybrids (ex-bourbon casks that were transferred to new oak barrels for 4-6 months). They then mix these into a giant “solera” vat that still contains whisky from previous batches, which have been mellowing together in the vat. Since the whisky in the vat is not contained in relatively small oak barrels anymore, it does not continue to “age” in the traditional way. The solera vat is never emptied more than halfway, which means there are theoretically molecules of whisky in each bottle of Glenfiddich 15 that were first put into the vat in 1998. As batches are drawn from the vat, they are married for a few months in a smaller cask and then bottled at 40% ABV.

Everyone here in Jax is saying that ABC is the only place in N FL that can carry WL Weller, it that the case in Mid FL?

I like the good stuff as much as the next guy but what is everyone's favorite cheap bourbon?  I have been leaning towards Evan Williams Green Label lately. 

Got a bottle of Henry McKenna Single Barrel BOB and thought it was very good for its $25 price point.

Watched the ballgame at my neighbor's yesterday and he had a bottle of Old Weller Antique out.  That's another good value but probably harder to find than the McKenna.

Glenfiddich 15 - Solera Reserve

OK, this isn't a bourbon but by defination a scotch. Throwing it in here because as a scotch drinker this is the most bourbon tasting scotch that I've tried. It's not smokey or peaty like the most traditional scotch whisky. The reason for it having this flavor is because it uses the the Solera aging process with sherry and bourbon casks described below.

If you like bourbon but hestitant on scotch I recommend giving it a try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Solera system:
They take 15 year-old Glenfiddich from ex-sherry casks, ex-bourbon casks, and also ex-bourbon hybrids (ex-bourbon casks that were transferred to new oak barrels for 4-6 months). They then mix these into a giant “solera” vat that still contains whisky from previous batches, which have been mellowing together in the vat. Since the whisky in the vat is not contained in relatively small oak barrels anymore, it does not continue to “age” in the traditional way. The solera vat is never emptied more than halfway, which means there are theoretically molecules of whisky in each bottle of Glenfiddich 15 that were first put into the vat in 1998. As batches are drawn from the vat, they are married for a few months in a smaller cask and then bottled at 40% ABV.
I think Solera is a best bang for buck kind of scotch. It's my go to scotch. 

Got a bottle of Henry McKenna Single Barrel BOB and thought it was very good for its $25 price point.

Watched the ballgame at my neighbor's yesterday and he had a bottle of Old Weller Antique out.  That's another good value but probably harder to find than the McKenna.
Ha! Jinx... Good call. 
$25 is a great price for that stuff.... I see it as low as $27ish here. One of my go-to's. 

Also agree strongly on the Old Weller Antique at 107pf. Very good flavor and much easier to find than 12yr. I've taken to blinding the two. Proofs up the 12yr and the age smooths out the 107pf. 

As stated above by some folks, there is a lot of remarkable stuff out there that's easily available at a great price. You could do a LOT worse than grabbing a bottle of

1) blantons (single barrel, high rye mashbill : ~9yr : $50)

2) eagle rare (single barrel, low rye Mashbill : 10yr :  $30)

3) Larceny or Old Weller Antique 107pf (wheated mashbill : ~6-8yr : $22-30) 

For $100-110 you're trying the 3 basic different styles of bourbon. From there you can get a nice idea of where your palate sits. 

Do you already drink your scotch neat, or do you use water/Ice? 
So being in Utah my access to various Bourbons is not great.  I was only able to find one of these (Eagle Rare) here locally.  I was trying to find something similar to the other recommendations but I didn't really know what I was doing.  I ended up picking up a local double rye whiskey (High West Distillery out of Park City) that I thought might be similar to the Blantons (no idea if that's accurate).

I've been sipping on them for a week or so now.  I do like the Eagle Rare, but ultimately I think I find it a little too similar to scotch.  Not a bad thing, since I enjoy scotch, but maybe not quite what I was looking for since part of my venture out into Bourbon was to get something a little different since I've been drinking scotch a long time.

The Double Rye was totally different.  I found that pretty cool and maybe a nice advantage of Bourbon.  I don't think I've ever tasted two scotches that were as different from each other as these two whiskeys.  Neat to have those options.

I would say the Double Rye had a much fuller flavor.  Somewhat sweeter, which is kind of what I was expecting out of Bourbon compared to scotch generally being a little more dry/harsh (again no idea how accurate that is).  I enjoyed it more than the Eagle Rare, though it's hard for me to say if that's because I actually liked it better or if it's just because it scratched my itch of being something different.  I will have to ponder that thought tonight over a couple glasses.

The double rye is actually a Rye whiskey (51+% rye grain), which is different than bourbon (51+% corn). Rye will generally be a bolder spicier flavor. If you like that Rye then there are a lot of good options. Pikesville and EH Taylor Straight Rye are two excellent starting points. You can also do a LOT worse than a basic Sazerac Rye which is very affordable at $25ish. 

High west sources MOST of their product... their rye is purchased from MGP from indiana (not a bad thing, they make excellent rye). There was an herbal tone to Double Rye that I wasn't a big fan of, personally... but it's good that you enjoyed it!

Michters 10yr has landed via trade for Blantons Straight From the Barrel. 

Lot of hype/obfuscation behind this brand that I'm not normally a fan of... but having tasted a buddy's bottle, I really enjoyed it. Only Michters in my bar currently is the Toasted, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Had a chance to buy at retail at $129+tax but passed. A trade for a $73 Blantons SFTB was more palatable. 

Users who are viewing this thread