What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (1 Viewer)

Went with a buddy to an Indian restaurant owned by the family of a guy who used to work with us.  The dad (who was working) recognized us and greeted us as we sat down.  He asked what we wanted to drink and then said "We have some scotch in the back!  I'll grab you guys some!"  He brought out a couple sniffers with some "scotch" on the rocks.  I really don't like scotch, but I didn't want to be rude.  It wasn't bad for scotch.  It really didn't taste like scotch at all!  It wasn't great, but it was way better than any scotch I ever had before.  Being pretty sure it wasn't actually a scotch, I sent a message to our old coworker and asked him what the brand of that scotch was.  He replied "Old Thompson".   :lmao:

No wonder I kind of liked it.   It is one of the cheapest American Whiskey blends you can get.  On the rocks, thinking I was drinking some kind of scotch, it was a pleasant surprise.  I wouldn't recommend buying it though.  Unless you are going to pretend it is scotch.

Well guys, 

Little backdrop. I am a huge BBA Stout beer snob. Love them. Over the last few months though I have been low carb and avoiding sugar, so that killed my hobby :-( 

I purchased my first ever bottles of bourbon last night.

Eagle Rare and Woodford Reserve. I was pumped to see if this could replace my love for Stout.

Unfortunately I was very underwhelmed. Does this mean it's probably not for me or are there huge variance in other brands?
Those are low end bourbons but very solid. I’m not sure how you drank them, but try them with lots of ice. Let it sit for a few minutes and give it a try. It should be pretty smooth and easy to drink. Slowly reduce the ice until you are drinking it neat. You’ll be shocked at how much hair you suddenly have on your chest.

Client just sent me a bottle of Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 24 year old and it arrived Friday. Outstanding.
I personally can’t get into the Orphan Barrel line, but I know many who love it. Nice gift from your client, though!

Y'all need to embrace some Rye here. I mean, in today's day and age, the Scots can stay home, we need 'merican spirits. I get it.

But Rye is where it's at.

:boxing:  
I’ve been advocating ryes for some time in here, agree that ryes are very much underappreciated. Michters rye (Barrel Proof if you can find it) is my favorite “easy to find” rye.

I generally prefer the “spicier” ryes to the “minty” ryes (like high west double rye, for example). 

I’ve been advocating ryes for some time in here, agree that ryes are very much underappreciated. Michters rye (Barrel Proof if you can find it) is my favorite “easy to find” rye.

I generally prefer the “spicier” ryes to the “minty” ryes (like high west double rye, for example). 
I concur with your "underappreciated" comment. And due to your recommendation way earlier in this thread, I have been on a search to try Michters Rye Barrel Proof. I have yet to actually see one here in SE Mich. I have almost polished off a Col Taylor Rye that I have really enjoyed. I will still keep searching for Michters....but any other rye's you'd recommend? (And I agree with your taster preferences - not big on the minty ryes.)

Those are low end bourbons but very solid. I’m not sure how you drank them, but try them with lots of ice. Let it sit for a few minutes and give it a try. It should be pretty smooth and easy to drink. Slowly reduce the ice until you are drinking it neat. You’ll be shocked at how much hair you suddenly have on your chest.
Good advice. I know the kind of BA stouts @steelerfan1 liked and I would say ER is in his wheelhouse. It's just that no bourbon ever quite match the same flavor as a BA stout. The stouts bring coffee and chocolate to the table. That said, I agree that a lot of ice and some time might help him get there. 

Also he might enjoy making a nice bourbon coffee drink 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't like Eagle Rare, you are not a bourbon guy.    Yet.   Give it a few more tries and if you still don't like it, I will be happy to take it off your hands.  
Thanks Doc, I don't believe it's gonna be for me...and a friend from work has already called dibs on said bottle.  ;)

Thanks kutta, tried neat and iced and just not feeling it. On another note though the wife was expecting family in and had an unopened bottle of Cazadores Blanco. I cracked that and really enjoyed that. I guess that is a base level tequila too, so I may explore a bit higher end bottle and see where it leads. Was much more my cup of tea, but I doubt anything will ever touch a good Stout.

Good advice. I know the kind of BA stouts @steelerfan1 liked and I would say ER is in his wheelhouse. It's just that no bourbon ever quite match the same flavor as a BA stout. The stouts bring coffee and chocolate to the table. That said, I agree that a lot of ice and some time might help him get there. 

Also he might enjoy making a nice bourbon coffee drink 
Thanks 80s. Man I miss my beer brother. My direction is going to be a 2 to 6 month aged tequila I think. As soon as I opened the tequila bottle the smell was just much more appealing to me than the eagle Rare was, so I'm excited to see what a decent tequila brings. I am going to have 1 Stout a month now though. They are just too good to give up going forward.

Thanks 80s. Man I miss my beer brother. My direction is going to be a 2 to 6 month aged tequila I think. As soon as I opened the tequila bottle the smell was just much more appealing to me than the eagle Rare was, so I'm excited to see what a decent tequila brings. I am going to have 1 Stout a month now though. They are just too good to give up going forward.
Nice touching base man. A good tequila can be quite a nice drink. It's not as trendy as bourbon or BA stouts but there are some great tequilas to drink. Now you just have to make that 1 stour a great one- you will save some money too. 

Ilov80s said:
Nice touching base man. A good tequila can be quite a nice drink. It's not as trendy as bourbon or BA stouts but there are some great tequilas to drink. Now you just have to make that 1 stour a great one- you will save some money too. 
I will make the Stout count for sure. Will be picking up some Herradura reposado this weekend to try. I'll also stop clogging up the bourbon thread now with non bourbon issues...

Thanks kutta, tried neat and iced and just not feeling it. On another note though the wife was expecting family in and had an unopened bottle of Cazadores Blanco. I cracked that and really enjoyed that. I guess that is a base level tequila too, so I may explore a bit higher end bottle and see where it leads. Was much more my cup of tea, but I doubt anything will ever touch a good Stout.
It was explained to me that Cazadores is quite popular in Mexico. I think it's a good bargain.  There are are also Respasado and Anejo Tequillas, which are aged longer than the Blanco.  Big fan of Tequila "neat".  Fortaleza is excellent and there are many small batch varieties.

Won a free drink as a door prize and tried The Macallan 18 (Scotch).  I don't get to go this high end very often but it was excellent (as was the price).
I just had this for the first time as well! Bartender who knows me as a regular offered free 4-finger pour for 40th birthday. He gave a little taste of the 12-year in comparison, and the 18 is a lot smoother. Only thing I've tasted more expensive is the Van Winkle 10-year, but not free and not nearly as much.

Picked up a bottle of the new Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye (~$70). Barreled in 2009 so it is ~9yrs old and Weighs in at 119.6 proof. 

For those who don’t know, I’m a sucker for BIG whiskey... I like them high proof and bold flavored. I generally drink most bourbon neat, including good stuff that pushes 140 proof. 

WITH ALL THAT SAID: 

Hot DAMN this KC CS Rye is a mouthful! So much flavor. Tons of heat though I expect that to mellow as it’s been opened for a bit. Roasted Baking spices, smoky caramel, just a HINT of dill on the background. That finish though... this #### must have barbs because it grabs onto your palate and Does. Not. Let. Go. So much going on... wow. 

Going to revisit this one today alongside Michter’s BP Rye, and Kentucky Owl Rye (Batch 1) for comparison. 

Picked up a bottle of the new Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye (~$70). Barreled in 2009 so it is ~9yrs old and Weighs in at 119.6 proof. 

For those who don’t know, I’m a sucker for BIG whiskey... I like them high proof and bold flavored. I generally drink most bourbon neat, including good stuff that pushes 140 proof. 

WITH ALL THAT SAID: 

Hot DAMN this KC CS Rye is a mouthful! So much flavor. Tons of heat though I expect that to mellow as it’s been opened for a bit. Roasted Baking spices, smoky caramel, just a HINT of dill on the background. That finish though... this #### must have barbs because it grabs onto your palate and Does. Not. Let. Go. So much going on... wow. 

Going to revisit this one today alongside Michter’s BP Rye, and Kentucky Owl Rye (Batch 1) for comparison. 
I  like this too, but went old school last night, good old  7 and 7.  Just like Grandpa use to do. 

I just had this for the first time as well! Bartender who knows me as a regular offered free 4-finger pour for 40th birthday. He gave a little taste of the 12-year in comparison, and the 18 is a lot smoother. Only thing I've tasted more expensive is the Van Winkle 10-year, but not free and not nearly as much.
Maccallan 18 is probably my favorite thing to drink. And it’s so strange how wide-ranging the price is in restaurants. I’ve seen it as high as $80 per glass in NY city. There’s a great steakhouse in Scottsdale (Mastro’s) that has it at $50 per glass. Then there’s The Arrowhead Grill, a really good steakhouse near my house that has it for $23 per glass! I have NO idea how they make money selling it that low, but I get it every time I’m in there.

How was it? Been meaning to try it. I've been to Law's Whiskey House.

Leopold Bro's is another Denver distillery I wanna try.
Oh, boy was it epic. Since the whole thing is sponsored by Mile High Stadium, a bunch of former players were there including Stink himself, Mark Schlereth. Didn't get a chance to say high or get a selfie. 

As for the whiskey. They had three. Yellow label, black label and the maroon label (aged in sherry barrels). Yellow label was OK. Black label was a lot like a scotch and so that was out, but the sherry aged was Muey Bueno. Holy mother of all things good in this world was that amazing. I'm trying to work out a deal to promote them for a couple cases of the sherry aged. 

They brought in this amazing mixologist from St. Louis who made the most incredible old fashions. Oh my was it amazing. 

Couple nights later wound up at this place called the Federal Bar. Charles, the bartender knew his #### backwards and forwards. First gave us some amazing beers to sample (under 7% ABV and under 20 IBU's was the directive) then we moved onto the bourbon. Knew his stuff there too. 

I must say, I was bummed I was coming home a day early when I arrived, but after three days of all the free booze I could drink (or the tax deductible booze at the bar after leaving the event), my liver was happy to get out of there. 

I haven’t had a single thing from Stranahans I’ve enjoyed personally. Just can’t get into the profile. My buddy loves em. 
I thought their yellow label was a great mixing whiskey but at $55 a bottle, I want something way better. But man that sherry aged was amazing. But at $85/bottle, Ignorance is bliss. 

Sad to say I have almost given up on bourbon. I love bourbon but it does not love me.  Every time I drink it I feel like total crap the whole next day. I am not talking having one but 3-4 at a party or wedding.   Can drink beer or vodka all night and never feel the way I do from bourbon.

Sad to say I have almost given up on bourbon. I love bourbon but it does not love me.  Every time I drink it I feel like total crap the whole next day. I am not talking having one but 3-4 at a party or wedding.   Can drink beer or vodka all night and never feel the way I do from bourbon.
That IS sad!! It's weird how alcohol treats us all differently. Admittingly I don't believe I've ever had 4 bourbons in one setting, regardless I've felt okay with them. Depending on what I eat that evening I may get some acid reflux that night. Tequila - I've never had a hangover from. Some of my biggest buzzes have come from beer - which I don't drink all that often. But if I have a 2nd glass of wine, ever, I feel like total crap that evening and some of the next day. All that to say....I feel your pain.

I thought their yellow label was a great mixing whiskey but at $55 a bottle, I want something way better. But man that sherry aged was amazing. But at $85/bottle, Ignorance is bliss. 
I hadn’t tried the Sherry aged! I’m generally not a HUGE fan of finished whiskeys but I will definitely keep an eye out for a sample of it on your recommendation :thumbup:  

That IS sad!! It's weird how alcohol treats us all differently. Admittingly I don't believe I've ever had 4 bourbons in one setting, regardless I've felt okay with them. Depending on what I eat that evening I may get some acid reflux that night. Tequila - I've never had a hangover from. Some of my biggest buzzes have come from beer - which I don't drink all that often. But if I have a 2nd glass of wine, ever, I feel like total crap that evening and some of the next day. All that to say....I feel your pain.
Add red wine to that list too.

Maybe I should just trying having 1 or 2 bourbons at a time.

I hadn’t tried the Sherry aged! I’m generally not a HUGE fan of finished whiskeys but I will definitely keep an eye out for a sample of it on your recommendation :thumbup:  
I'm in the same boat. I have some Red River from time to time that is finished in Pinot Noir barrels but the finishing is real subtle. This was not as subtle but also much better done. Seems tho that you like something with more bite than the sweeter sherry aged. Definitely sample first rather than drop $80 on a full bottle

I like red wine, but some times I have had some issues with it: wake up in the middle of the night not able to sleep, mind racing. I don't think I have ever had that happen with beer or liquor, but a few times with red wine. It's weird. 

It was explained to me that Cazadores is quite popular in Mexico. I think it's a good bargain.  There are are also Respasado and Anejo Tequillas, which are aged longer than the Blanco.  Big fan of Tequila "neat".  Fortaleza is excellent and there are many small batch varieties.
Thanks DK, wife's brother is always in Mexico and pointed out the same about Cazadores.

:sadbanana:  Condolencez, gb.  You'll get through this.

steelerfan1 said:
Thanks DK, wife's brother is always in Mexico and pointed out the same about Cazadores.
Thirded here. Was told to get a bottle by a Mexican buddy when down there. Have sought it out since. 

Getting ready to buy my next bottle...  People here have been touting Rye so that's the target.  Rye novice and looking for a good combo of quality and price.  I'm thinking Michters right now.  Any strong recommendations otherwise?

Getting ready to buy my next bottle...  People here have been touting Rye so that's the target.  Rye novice and looking for a good combo of quality and price.  I'm thinking Michters right now.  Any strong recommendations otherwise?
I like the High West Ryes, but I am mostly mixing 

Hey @[icon] (well I guess anyone with a good suggestion but thought Id start with the resident expert)

I have a buddy who is a bourbon drinker that has been helping me out a lot lately with odds and ends around the house but refuses any payment.  Would like to get him a nice/semi rare bottle of bourbon.  Im talking something between $2-400 or so.  Selfishly I know we will drink it together too.  Any suggestions?  Im not sure what his favorites are, I just know he likes bourbon.

Hey @[icon] (well I guess anyone with a good suggestion but thought Id start with the resident expert)

I have a buddy who is a bourbon drinker that has been helping me out a lot lately with odds and ends around the house but refuses any payment.  Would like to get him a nice/semi rare bottle of bourbon.  Im talking something between $2-400 or so.  Selfishly I know we will drink it together too.  Any suggestions?  Im not sure what his favorites are, I just know he likes bourbon.
Honestly, there is not much readily available in that price range that’s worth buying... unless you’re willing to go to the secondary market?

If you can find it

Eagle Rare 17 is in that range

Also if you can find it Weller 12 year, it's way below your price point but as a bourbon lover he will be as happy if not more with it than a 400 dollar bottle.

Is there a more overrated Bourbon right now than Jefferson's Ocean??  Way over priced and a total gimmick IMO. 
I've not had it, although I bought a bottle of this for my web guy for some work he did for me. He thought it was fantastic. But he's more of a dabbler in a bunch of different liquors rather than focusing on just one. 

I will say this, the regular Jefferson's I can get for about $30/bottle is pretty outstanding IMO. Particularly for the price. 

Visited Nashville this weekend & on the way home to Cincinnati stopped at a liquor store in KY. Wasn't looking for anything in particular but saw a 1.75L bottle of Eagle Rare. The stores around me rarely have ER anymore so the big bottle was a score. I'd never seen it in that size before!  :thumbup:

Visited Nashville this weekend & on the way home to Cincinnati stopped at a liquor store in KY. Wasn't looking for anything in particular but saw a 1.75L bottle of Eagle Rare. The stores around me rarely have ER anymore so the big bottle was a score. I'd never seen it in that size before!  :thumbup:
Nice and it's usually around 60 to 65 bucks which is nice as well

Users who are viewing this thread