What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Product Description: WELLER SPECIAL RESERVE STRAIGHT BOURBON
Item Number: 000003985
Size: 750 ML
Year: n/a
Quantity: 2
Unit Price: $26.99
Ext. Price: $53.98

Thankfully the Pa Liquor board sends out emails when they get limited availability items and they sell them online. They limit the sale to two per customer so luckily I had been able to check my email before they sold out. 
oh, i need to get on that list then...

Not sure if it's been posted in here yet. Did a search for Hulu, and it didn't return any hits. 

Anyway, there's a show on Hulu called "Neat: The Story of Bourbon".  I thought it brought a nice balance of education and nostalgia. Two thumbs up.

Anyone tried the Whistlepig 10 year Rye? I got a bottle, thinking of cracking it open on Christmas with my brother in law.

Any good?

We found Peerless has their bourbon out on shelves now. Had visited their place in Louisville 2 xmas's ago, really liked their rye, and they had a little while before their first bourbon since re-opening the distillery would hit shelves. It's a bit hot at like 110, but really smooth. 

In the "hot and smooth" category, also have this Nikka (Japanese) "From the Barrel" that drinks extremely smooth and is dangerously hot.

Lastly, I'm sure this isn't news to most but I have discovered so wanted to share, Old Granddad 1144 is a fantastic cocktail bourbon. Made blackberry smashes for the wife last night and she was all over it. 

I am jealous.   Blantons is great.  can only imagine how tasty the black would be.  
Have a line on some Blantons (regular) from a liquor store new friend.  Have to be there early Tuesday morning and it's $80?!?.

Not sure if I'll pull the trigger.  They have Eagle Rare $40 and Buf. Trace ($30) (including a handle for $45) in spades.

Product Description: WELLER SPECIAL RESERVE STRAIGHT BOURBON
Item Number: 000003985
Size: 750 ML
Year: n/a
Quantity: 2
Unit Price: $26.99
Ext. Price: $53.98
Got a bottle of it this morning. It just came in and they were opening the box in front of me. There 5 minutes earlier and wouldn't have got it. Out of Blantons, Buffalo Trace and others I wanted to get but they do carry a large selection. First time in the place  20+ minutes away in another town. Gonna call ahead next time and see what's in. Pickings are slim around here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a line on some Blantons (regular) from a liquor store new friend.  Have to be there early Tuesday morning and it's $80?!?.

Not sure if I'll pull the trigger.  They have Eagle Rare $40 and Buf. Trace ($30) (including a handle for $45) in spades.
Just my opinion but Eagle Rare is noticeably better tasting and smoother than Buffalo Trace and worth the $10.   Blantons is noticeably better tasting than Eagle Rare and should be in your liquor cabinet for times when you need a step up from the daily drinker.  

Just my opinion but Eagle Rare is noticeably better tasting and smoother than Buffalo Trace and worth the $10.   Blantons is noticeably better tasting than Eagle Rare and should be in your liquor cabinet for times when you need a step up from the daily drinker.  
That is a good assessment. I usually have Bulleit Rye and Buffalo Trace on hand for cocktails, Eagle Rare for straight and Blantons or Col EH Taylor for when I am stepping it up. 

Larger store had Pappy 10 ($599) & 12 ($649) and George T. Stagg ($?) listed as available on Christmas Eve.  Just window shopping for me until the last is out of college but interesting that they were there for the taking.  Settled for Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (value priced at $32)

Larger store had Pappy 10 ($599) & 12 ($649) and George T. Stagg ($?) listed as available on Christmas Eve.  Just window shopping for me until the last is out of college but interesting that they were there for the taking.  Settled for Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (value priced at $32)
No such thing as Pappy 10 & 12. Those are in the same family but are "Old Rip Van Winkle" not "Pappy Van Winkle".  Pappy is 15, 20, or 23 years old.  And those prices are beserk for Old Rip Van Winkle.  Lot of stores try this though to take advantage of the Pappy thing.  Good bourbons but not in the Pappy or BTAC realm.  That Stagg on the other hand is outstanding.

No such thing as Pappy 10 & 12. Those are in the same family but are "Old Rip Van Winkle" not "Pappy Van Winkle".  Pappy is 15, 20, or 23 years old.  And those prices are beserk for Old Rip Van Winkle.  Lot of stores try this though to take advantage of the Pappy thing.  Good bourbons but not in the Pappy or BTAC realm.  That Stagg on the other hand is outstanding.
Thanks for the clarification.  I was seeing some wild price variations in Google searches and suspected something was amiss.  I'll check out the exact Stagg product and price this evening.

Thanks for the clarification.  I was seeing some wild price variations in Google searches and suspected something was amiss.  I'll check out the exact Stagg product and price this evening.
I've seen the Stagg Sr. between $499 and $699 at some local secondary sellers this year.  List is $119.00. Stagg Jr is a totally different animal (it's in the short bottle)...its a $60 bottle but gets some notoriety because of Sr (tall bottle).

Basil Hayden's is good stuff, especially at that price.  

I've seen the Stagg Sr. between $499 and $699 at some local secondary sellers this year.  List is $119.00. Stagg Jr is a totally different animal (it's in the short bottle)...its a $60 bottle but gets some notoriety because of Sr (tall bottle).
So the Stagg (15 year) was priced at $799.  They actually used the word "Pappy" on the ad for 10 & 12 year, which appears to be highly misleading.  The bottle says "Old Rip Van Winkle" as you said...

I did pick up a bottle of Blanton's for $70 tonight at another, smaller store near-by.  Might be a little more than I'd like to pay but willing to... given the difficulty in finding it. 

So the Stagg (15 year) was priced at $799.  They actually used the word "Pappy" on the ad for 10 & 12 year, which appears to be highly misleading.  The bottle says "Old Rip Van Winkle" as you said...

I did pick up a bottle of Blanton's for $70 tonight at another, smaller store near-by.  Might be a little more than I'd like to pay but willing to... given the difficulty in finding it. 
You made the right choice.  Blanton's is great.

Rough going rates right now in secondary Markets shipped... any higher at retail is madness: 

GTS: $400-450
WLW: $650-700
ORVW 10yr: $440ish
VW 12yr Lot B: $475ish
PVW 15yr: $1000-1050
PVW 20yr: $1700ish
PVW 23yr: $1950ish
W12: $150ish

As always, prices can vary based on years as well. 

My Christmas Haul

3 - Bottles of Buffalo Trace

1 - Angel's Envy Rye

1 - Woodford Reserve 90 Proof

1 - Basil Hayden's Dark Rye

and some Scotch that I won't mention here so that I don't get banned. 

I wasn't super excited about the BH Dark Rye since it's a blend with a port but it was a very pleasant surprise. 

My Christmas Haul

1 - Angel's Envy Rye

I wasn't super excited about the BH Dark Rye since it's a blend with a port but it was a very pleasant surprise. 
i got a bottle of jim beam and a bottle of champagne from my aunt.

:mellow:

going to see if i can exchange them at the state store.  ever tried without a receipt?  they have to know that it came from them, right?

i got a bottle of jim beam and a bottle of champagne from my aunt.

:mellow:

going to see if i can exchange them at the state store.  ever tried without a receipt?  they have to know that it came from them, right?
Its not terrible to have a bottle of Jim Beam around for cocktails, or those times when a couple neighbors show up at 2 in the morning and you don't want to pour your good stuff for them ...

As for the champagne (more likely, cheap sparkling wine) ... New Years day mimosas!

A few hours ago 67 bottles of Pappy & Van Winkle just moved for over $56,000 on one of the underground Facebook pages. 

The buyer is very well known, but the seller needed a couple folks to vouch for him. The right people vouched so the buyer was comfortable they were legit (a LOT of Pappy And rare stuff these days is fake). 

Just like... that: 
https://imgur.com/a/rwI21d8

Names in Screen grabs obscured for obvious reasons 

A few hours ago 67 bottles of Pappy & Van Winkle just moved for over $56,000 on one of the underground Facebook pages. 

The buyer is very well known, but the seller needed a couple folks to vouch for him. The right people vouched so the buyer was comfortable they were legit (a LOT of Pappy And rare stuff these days is fake). 

Just like... that: 
https://imgur.com/a/rwI21d8

Names in Screen grabs obscured for obvious reasons 
Had a little "blind" bourbon tasting party last night at our home.   My friend who has 2 bottles of Pappy donated half a bottle.  We had 10 guys and 2 women and 12 bourbons.     Pappy was middle of the road for the ratings.  All the bourbon was 20-50 dollars other than Pappy.   Basil Hayden came in first, Elijah Craig second, Eagle Rare third, Buffalo Trace fourth, Pappy fifth, Makers 6th, Old Forrester 7th, Wild Turkey 8th, after that it did not matter.

Had a little "blind" bourbon tasting party last night at our home.   My friend who has 2 bottles of Pappy donated half a bottle.  We had 10 guys and 2 women and 12 bourbons.     Pappy was middle of the road for the ratings.  All the bourbon was 20-50 dollars other than Pappy.   Basil Hayden came in first, Elijah Craig second, Eagle Rare third, Buffalo Trace fourth, Pappy fifth, Makers 6th, Old Forrester 7th, Wild Turkey 8th, after that it did not matter.
Hopefully it turned out better than the last time I attended one of these. The host began shocking himself with some kind of dog shocker and then went outside in his boxers to practice throwing his axe at a tree. His wife said he wet the bed that night. It was a mess. 

Which Pappy?

Hopefully it turned out better than the last time I attended one of these. The host began shocking himself with some kind of dog shocker and then went outside in his boxers to practice throwing his axe at a tree. His wife set he wet the bed that night. It was a mess. 
Meh. That's called a "Kentucky Quinceanera" where I'm from.

Meh. That's called a "Kentucky Quinceanera" where I'm from.
Was especially awkward for me as he's threatened to kill me before (I thought he was joking) and I later found out it is because he is dead set positive I slept with his wife (I didn't). 

Hopefully it turned out better than the last time I attended one of these. The host began shocking himself with some kind of dog shocker and then went outside in his boxers to practice throwing his axe at a tree. His wife set he wet the bed that night. It was a mess. 
We were only tasting half shots but things did go downhill pretty fast after we got done.

My Christmas Haul

1 - Angel's Envy Rye

I wasn’t a huge fan of the BH Dark Rye. I just really don’t like the finished whiskeys as much as I used to. Heck, I’m even coming off Angel’s Envy rye some, and that used to be my favorite thing in the world.

I’m finding I like the higher proof, spicier whiskies now. The good thing is I don’t drink them as fast.

kutta said:
I wasn’t a huge fan of the BH Dark Rye. I just really don’t like the finished whiskeys as much as I used to. Heck, I’m even coming off Angel’s Envy rye some, and that used to be my favorite thing in the world.

I’m finding I like the higher proof, spicier whiskies now. The good thing is I don’t drink them as fast.
I think that's a pretty natural progression for many bourbon drinkers. 

Initially "smoothness" is what folks are after, but over time many begin to appreciate bigger bolder bourbons.

Im not big on finished bourbons either. 

Had some ole Smokey mango habanero the other day. https://olesmoky.com/products/mango-habanero-flavored-whiskey

Not my cup of tea. But I'm guessing that's not what you meant. 

Users who are viewing this thread