Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
top dog

Bourbon guys

4 hours ago, heckmanm said:

What's a good cheap-ish bourbon for cocktails? Leaning toward Wild Turkey 101 for a cranberry-based drink I'm tinkering with

Rittenhouse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big League Chew said:

heading to ontario over the weekend. is there anything special or unique up there i should be on the lookout for

Any of the BTAC releases

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WampusCat43 said:

You still live in NKY?  I'm in Ft. Thomas.  New Riff is a two-minute drive.  I was impressed by the bourbon, given how young the place is.

Yep. Just a little past you in Crestview. I was glad they could convert those old buildings by the 12th street bridge to rickhouses.

9 hours ago, heckmanm said:

What's a good cheap-ish bourbon for cocktails? Leaning toward Wild Turkey 101 for a cranberry-based drink I'm tinkering with

Buffalo Trace

Eagle Rare

4 Roses

Bulleit

i think any of those are good enough to drink neat but not terribly expensive that you don’t mind mixing them

Finally got my email invite to the Vault and was somewhat disappointed in the selection, only about 20 bottles to select from and of the only true top shelf left were Pappy 10 and the William Larue Weller.

Settled on a bottle of Weller 12 and only cost me 32 bucks, seems somewhat like a waste considering what you have to spend to get gold key access.

Tried Blanton's for the first time on Saturday night.  Holy cow is that stuff smooth.

• Like 1

Just now, Big League Chew said:

yeah i was in shock. dude probably finished half the bottle in a minute

Different type of shot might be justified at that point IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big League Chew said:

probably a good reason not to have quality stuff out for joe shmoe 

Yeah rookie mistake by the host 

Picked up some 1792 Small Batch to try out for the cheap weekend drinker rotation.  I'd rank it not badly, but definitely a notch or two below Buffalo Trace for the price point.  I really wanted Eagle Rare, which they usually have but were out of. Next time. 

4 hours ago, Big League Chew said:

was at a party saturday night. guy had a great selection of bourbons out for everyone. some random dude just starts taking shots of the blantons

Was finally able to pick a bottle of Blanton's up today. We plan on doing body shots with it. Merry Christmas to me

What’s the deal with this idea of putting some lemon in your bourbon? Twice in the last week or so I’ve been suggested this. Once by a bartender who seems to know her stuff and a coworker who I don’t know much about his cred. 

6 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Picked up some 1792 Small Batch to try out for the cheap weekend drinker rotation.  I'd rank it not badly, but definitely a notch or two below Buffalo Trace for the price point.  I really wanted Eagle Rare, which they usually have but were out of. Next time. 

I opened up a bottle of Eagle Rare tonight.

Decided I'd rather relax and enjoy it than sweat the MNF game and Michael Thomas with his magical football semi-final implications.

And guaranteed myself at least one Win. 

• Like 1

Comparatively Low key year for me, got a WLW, a couple W12 and a 6pk of OWA.

cheers to all 🥃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, Big League Chew said:

was at a party saturday night. guy had a great selection of bourbons out for everyone. some random dude just starts taking shots of the blantons

This happened to me when I was doing a tasting for my BIL at my house last Christmas.  We were tasting the various ones I have and I was telling him about them.  I don't remember what we were currently tasting but my 21 year old nephew comes over and says, "Hey can I try some of that?".  Reluctantly I pour him some in a glass.  He shoots it like it is fireball.  "Damn uncle Tom!  That is smooth!".  Needless to say that was the last one he "tasted".

• Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, top dog said:

This happened to me when I was doing a tasting for my BIL at my house last Christmas.  We were tasting the various ones I have and I was telling him about them.  I don't remember what we were currently tasting but my 21 year old nephew comes over and says, "Hey can I try some of that?".  Reluctantly I pour him some in a glass.  He shoots it like it is fireball.  "Damn uncle Tom!  That is smooth!".  Needless to say that was the last one he "tasted".

Opposite for me at my SIL's on Thanksgiving.  They have a tradition of everyone doing a shot of Fireball or something similar.  BIL had an airline bottle of Eagle Rare and offered that to me.  I spent a good 10-15 minutes on my "shot" that day.

38 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

How’s Bakers?  Never had it, saw it the other day

Very tasty

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Very tasty

Probably be my next bottle then.  Told FIL to get me bourbon for Xmas, not expecting anything good but we’ll see.  Basil Hayden’s is about half gone and I have some buffalo trace for cocktails so gonna need a bottle soon

also keep forgetting I have like a 50 year old handle of Canadian club in the basement  that I won in a white elephant last year 

Just now, Dan Lambskin said:

Probably be my next bottle then.  Told FIL to get me bourbon for Xmas, not expecting anything good but we’ll see.  Basil Hayden’s is about half gone and I have some buffalo trace for cocktails so gonna need a bottle soon

also keep forgetting I have like a 50 year old handle of Canadian club in the basement  that I won in a white elephant last year 

I love Trace and their whole line. My SIL works for their parent company and she moves a lot of bourbon. I like Basil a lot too even though it's a bit lighter than most modern bourbons. Not sure if dollar for dollar Bakers is on the level of Trace or Basil, but I do remember thinking it was a very nice bourbon. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, Megla said:

Finally got my email invite to the Vault and was somewhat disappointed in the selection, only about 20 bottles to select from and of the only true top shelf left were Pappy 10 and the William Larue Weller.

Settled on a bottle of Weller 12 and only cost me 32 bucks, seems somewhat like a waste considering what you have to spend to get gold key access.

Damn. Never did get my WLW.  Got a second invite a couple weeks later and it was gone so settled for a Stagg Sr.  

14 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

How much $

Product Description: WELLER SPECIAL RESERVE STRAIGHT BOURBON
Item Number: 000003985
Size: 750 ML
Year: n/a
Quantity: 2
Unit Price: $26.99
Ext. Price: $53.98

Thankfully the Pa Liquor board sends out emails when they get limited availability items and they sell them online. They limit the sale to two per customer so luckily I had been able to check my email before they sold out. 

13 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

How’s Bakers?  Never had it, saw it the other day

It's spicy, so keep that in mind

9 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Damn. Never did get my WLW.  Got a second invite a couple weeks later and it was gone so settled for a Stagg Sr.  

That sucks, I have to say I was very disappointed in the contents of the "vault"

On a happier note just got a bottle of Knob Creek Single barrel Special Reserve as a Christmas Present, gonna have a fire this weekend and crack that bad boy open

7 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Thankfully the Pa Liquor board sends out emails when they get limited availability items and they sell them online. They limit the sale to two per customer so luckily I had been able to check my email before they sold out. 

The reserve has started to become more available here in FL.  I can usually walk into any ABC early in the week and get a bottle or even a 1.75

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

oh, i need to get on that list then...

• Like 1

Not sure if it's been posted in here yet. Did a search for Hulu, and it didn't return any hits. 

Anyway, there's a show on Hulu called "Neat: The Story of Bourbon".  I thought it brought a nice balance of education and nostalgia. Two thumbs up.

8 hours ago, Megla said:

The reserve has started to become more available here in FL.  I can usually walk into any ABC early in the week and get a bottle or even a 1.75

How much is the 1.75?

Anyone tried the Whistlepig 10 year Rye? I got a bottle, thinking of cracking it open on Christmas with my brother in law.

Any good?

34 minutes ago, acarey50 said:

Anyone tried the Whistlepig 10 year Rye? I got a bottle, thinking of cracking it open on Christmas with my brother in law.

Any good?

Probably top of my list right now. I LOVE that stuff!

Crack it open and enjoy!

• Like 1

Got these from a local distillery 

overpriced ($70 for a 2 year and $90 for a 4 year) but the bottles are damn cool and I like supporting local

haven't cracked them yet

• Like 2

Had some Blantons' Black tonight at a Christmas party.  I did not shot it.

Delish.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, acarey50 said:

Any good?

excellent choice

• Like 1

We found Peerless has their bourbon out on shelves now. Had visited their place in Louisville 2 xmas's ago, really liked their rye, and they had a little while before their first bourbon since re-opening the distillery would hit shelves. It's a bit hot at like 110, but really smooth. 

In the "hot and smooth" category, also have this Nikka (Japanese) "From the Barrel" that drinks extremely smooth and is dangerously hot.

Lastly, I'm sure this isn't news to most but I have discovered so wanted to share, Old Granddad 1144 is a fantastic cocktail bourbon. Made blackberry smashes for the wife last night and she was all over it. 

12 hours ago, Hov34 said:

Had some Blantons' Black tonight at a Christmas party.  I did not shot it.

Delish.

I am jealous.   Blantons is great.  can only imagine how tasty the black would be.  

2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

I am jealous.   Blantons is great.  can only imagine how tasty the black would be.  

Have a line on some Blantons (regular) from a liquor store new friend.  Have to be there early Tuesday morning and it's $80?!?.

Not sure if I'll pull the trigger.  They have Eagle Rare $40 and Buf. Trace ($30) (including a handle for $45) in spades.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:58 AM, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Got a bottle of it this morning. It just came in and they were opening the box in front of me. There 5 minutes earlier and wouldn't have got it. Out of Blantons, Buffalo Trace and others I wanted to get but they do carry a large selection. First time in the place  20+ minutes away in another town. Gonna call ahead next time and see what's in. Pickings are slim around here. 

Edited by The Man With No Name
  • Like 1

On December 21, 2019 at 4:40 PM, Hov34 said:

Have a line on some Blantons (regular) from a liquor store new friend.  Have to be there early Tuesday morning and it's $80?!?.

Not sure if I'll pull the trigger.  They have Eagle Rare $40 and Buf. Trace ($30) (including a handle for $45) in spades.

Just my opinion but Eagle Rare is noticeably better tasting and smoother than Buffalo Trace and worth the $10.   Blantons is noticeably better tasting than Eagle Rare and should be in your liquor cabinet for times when you need a step up from the daily drinker.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocHolliday said:

Just my opinion but Eagle Rare is noticeably better tasting and smoother than Buffalo Trace and worth the $10.   Blantons is noticeably better tasting than Eagle Rare and should be in your liquor cabinet for times when you need a step up from the daily drinker.  

That is a good assessment. I usually have Bulleit Rye and Buffalo Trace on hand for cocktails, Eagle Rare for straight and Blantons or Col EH Taylor for when I am stepping it up. 

Larger store had Pappy 10 ($599) & 12 ($649) and George T. Stagg ($?) listed as available on Christmas Eve.  Just window shopping for me until the last is out of college but interesting that they were there for the taking.  Settled for Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (value priced at $32)

• Like 2