What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (3 Viewers)

stopped by the in-laws late thanksgiving to finish the games

they popped open a jack daniels single barrel for me

drank half the bottle myself :thumbup:

For all the fancy crap I talk myself into buying and trying, there is still something to be said for a nice bottle of jack single (especially barrel strength). :thumbup:  

For all the fancy crap I talk myself into buying and trying, there is still something to be said for a nice bottle of jack single (especially barrel strength). :thumbup:  
they were drinking regular jack when I got there, someone finished it then they brought out that bad boy. they tried to push the coke on me I said nope this here deserves some ice only :wub:

When we sold 

VA703 said:

When we sold our company we bought a barrel of Jack to celebrate - got 246 bottles out of it. We got to pick the barrel through a taste test. It was really amazing how different the individual barrels taste. We gave bottles to all the employees and the big shots at the company that bought us.

I've got about 25 bottles left and I'm slowly making my way through them...

When we sold 

When we sold our company we bought a barrel of Jack to celebrate - got 246 bottles out of it. We got to pick the barrel through a taste test. It was really amazing how different the individual barrels taste. We gave bottles to all the employees and the big shots at the company that bought us.

I've got about 25 bottles left and I'm slowly making my way through them...
how much for a barrel?

Local liquor store has been holding back their limited stuff all year and will be releasing it next Friday on first come first served basis. Lots of Pappy BT Antique Collection, PHC 24yr Bourbon, Michters 10, EH Taylor Seasoned Wood, etc etc etc.... 

Some buddies and I who enjoy cold weather camping are going to post up Friday afternoon at 4pm or so after work and spend the night for kicks. Turns out there's a low of 24 that night...  Zero Gravity chairs, sleeping bags, wool blankets for sleeping. Big overhead propane heater for kicks. Folding table with cards and an assortment of good whiskey for drinking through the night. Should be a good time. 

Goal is a PVW 23 or 20.... won't be upset about a 15, BTAC William Larue Weller or George T Stagg. GF is coming out at 5:30am with breakfast and to jump into line (at the end) to try to get me something good as well. :lol:

Freely admit we are idiots. :)

Local liquor store has been holding back their limited stuff all year and will be releasing it next Friday on first come first served basis. Lots of Pappy BT Antique Collection, PHC 24yr Bourbon, Michters 10, EH Taylor Seasoned Wood, etc etc etc.... 

Some buddies and I who enjoy cold weather camping are going to post up Friday afternoon at 4pm or so after work and spend the night for kicks. Turns out there's a low of 24 that night...  Zero Gravity chairs, sleeping bags, wool blankets for sleeping. Big overhead propane heater for kicks. Folding table with cards and an assortment of good whiskey for drinking through the night. Should be a good time. 

Goal is a PVW 23 or 20.... won't be upset about a 15, BTAC William Larue Weller or George T Stagg. GF is coming out at 5:30am with breakfast and to jump into line (at the end) to try to get me something good as well. :lol:

Good grief.  How much do you plan to drop?  I'd love a bottle of that Michters but there is zero chance I'd wait all night for one.  Good luck!

Good grief.  How much do you plan to drop?  I'd love a bottle of that Michters but there is zero chance I'd wait all night for one.  Good luck!
Everything will be at retail and it will be one bottle per person.. once you purchase you can go to the end of the line and try again. With the conditions as they are, I find it hard to believe we won't be first in line.

Hoping to snag a PVW 23 (retail about $250 - Value $1800ish). If I'm lucky enough to get one i'll likely attempt to swap it out for a PVW 15yr, a Stagg, and a William Larue Weller or 2x 15yr PVWs.  They claim they have "multiple cases" (3 bottle cases) of some BTAC bottles, so apparently there's a lot to be had. Hoping the GF gets something BTAC (maybe ER17 or Handy) for getting out there early as well.  If the cold weather keeps the worst of the crowds away, might get a 3rd bottle of something interesting by going back through the line again....depending on what they have and how many folks are there. 

Honestly, the camping out will be a great time with this crew. All well equipped for cold weather camping and are pretty much my best buddies who get together to drink brown water regularly. Should be a ton of fun. Not to mention most are military, take Aikido or Krav Maga, and are 6'3"-6'5" powerlifters so any line jumping shenanigans should be entertaining. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds like a blast.  You dont happen to live in Chicago do you??

I like the good stuff as much as the next guy but what is everyone's favorite cheap bourbon?  I have been leaning towards Evan Williams Green Label lately. 
I used to drink a lot of more expensive bourbons (never limited stuff), but now I pretty much just go with what most would call "cheap" bourbons. $15-30 a bottle will buy you some damn good bourbon. Frankly, if it's got the word bourbon on the bottle, it's probably pretty good and worth sipping on. Just a matter of personal taste, really.

My top "go to" bourbons are probably Wild Turkey, Evan Williams White Label, and whatever MGP Rye is on sale and/or available (Bulleit and Dickel mostly). I even like to keep a handle of Evan Black handy (I don't mind Green, but I refuse to buy 80 proof whiskey under any circumstances, I'm morally opposed).

Turkey, in particular, is just an amazing bourbon that I think has been really underrated by it's white trashy reputation. It's not just for drunks and frat boys looking to let loose. It's got rich caramel and vanilla flavors with a nice spiciness that, imo, make it even a little better than all of the very good $25-30 bottles out there. 

Along the bottom shelf, even stuff like Ancient Ancient Age 10-star, Ezra Brooks, and Virgin Bourbon are all pretty good. And of course, any time you see a cheap bottled in bond bourbon, just go ahead and get it. It's good.

Ever try one of these

http://www.deepsouthbarrels.com/create_products/10-Liter-Barrel?c=234153&n=1451973

Turns out my nephew's wife has a uncle who sales them and got my dad one, he put Jack in it for 3 months prior to Thanksgiving and there was a noticeable mellowing
I have not, but there is a good group of folks who use those, as well as oak sticks you can slip into a bottle and let sit. 

You have to be careful because there is a rapid pickup of flavor given the smaller bottles that can cause the hooch to get overly oaky pretty quick. 

Final list of bourbon available for the sale Saturday. Looks like we are posting up camp around 10am Friday :lol:

Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year

Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 Year

Rip Van Winkle 10 Year

William LaRue Weller 12yr BTAC

Thomas Handy BTAC

Sazerac Rye 18yr BTAC

George T Stagg 15 Year Barrel Proof BTAC

Eagle Rare 17 Year BTAC

Barterhouse Orphan Barrel 20 Year

Yamazaki 12 Year Japanese Single Malt

Weller Antique 107

Elijah Craig 18 Year

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Black Maple Hill

KY Spirit ***signed by Jimmy Russell

Yellowstone Select Bourbon

Whistlepig 12 Year Old World Rye

WL Weller 12 Year

Stagg Junior

Parker’s Heritage 24 Year

Jefferson's Wood Experiment

Angel’s Envy Cask Strength

Woodford Masters Collection

Four Roses Elliott’s Select

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

EH Taylor Straight Rye

EH Taylor Single Barrel

Elmer T Lee Single Barrel

Knob Creek Limited Edition 2001

Booker’s Rye Limited Edition

Sazerac Rye

Michter’s Barrel Strength Rye

Blood Oath #2

George Dickel 17 Year
Some real duds in there, but some gems too. Hoping for the PVW20 and the GF getting in line at 6am will score a BTAC as well...will see. 

Was looking at some Pappy prices yesterday . .

15 year for around $1,400 and the 20 year around $1,900 - crazy. Empty bottles on EBay selling for $50.

Final list of bourbon available for the sale Saturday. Looks like we are posting up camp around 10am Friday :lol:

Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year

Rip Van Winkle 10 Year

Thomas Handy BTAC

Sazerac Rye 18yr BTAC

Eagle Rare 17 Year BTAC

Weller Antique 107

Elijah Craig 18 Year

Black Maple Hill

WL Weller 12 Year

Stagg Junior

EH Taylor Straight Rye

EH Taylor Single Barrel

Sazerac Rye

Blood Oath #2

George Dickel 17 Year
Some real duds in there, but some gems too. Hoping for the PVW20 and the GF getting in line at 6am will score a BTAC as well...will see. 
Which store is doing this? Sounds like y'all are in for a good time! 

Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year

Rip Van Winkle 10 Year

Thomas Handy BTAC

Sazerac Rye 18yr BTAC

Eagle Rare 17 Year BTAC

Weller Antique 107

Elijah Craig 18 Year

Black Maple Hill

WL Weller 12 Year

Stagg Junior

EH Taylor Straight Rye

EH Taylor Single Barrel

Sazerac Rye

Blood Oath #2

George Dickel 17 Year
Only one bottle per person right?

Is 10 to 12 bottles I would kill for!

Any of the Pappy's

The ER 17 year

AE Cask

KC Limited 2001

WL Weller 12 year

these would top that list

Still haven't been able to get a taste of the WL Weller 12year

Only one bottle per person right?

Is 10 to 12 bottles I would kill for!

Any of the Pappy's

The ER 17 year

AE Cask

KC Limited 2001

WL Weller 12 year

these would top that list

Still haven't been able to get a taste of the WL Weller 12year
My Want list in order. Anything not on this list is do not buy. List is for benefit of the GF who will be in line a ways behind me. 

Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year

William LaRue Weller (BTAC)

Sazerac Rye 18yr (BTAC)

George T Stagg 15yr (BTAC)

Eagle Rare 17Yr (BTAC)

Rip Van Winkle 10 Year

Thomas Handy 15 Year (BTAC)

WL Weller 12 Year

Yamazaki 12yr Single  (Ltd Edit. ONLY!)

Elijah Craig 18 Year

Sazerac Rye

Weller Antique 107

Still never had W12? Inbox me your address and I'll send out some samples of that and other stuff to ya, GB. ,S

Do they sell any of the BTAC at the distillery gift shops?
Noooo... 
Buffalo Trace gift shop is basic stuff that's on the shelves everywhere, plus shirts, candy, glassware, etc. 

Willett's gift shop has "rare" gift shop only releases of Family Estate bottles... but pricing used to be high at 10-12 bucks per year of age, and now it's gotten insane (Recent $15yr release was $300-350 per bottle I think). 

Heaven-Hill occasionally has some rare-ish stuff on the shelves. 

Makers has Makers 46 Cask Strength but that's slated to be wide-scale release soon. Upside is you can hand dip any bottles you buy in red wax. 

Noooo... 
Buffalo Trace gift shop is basic stuff that's on the shelves everywhere, plus shirts, candy, glassware, etc. 

Willett's gift shop has "rare" gift shop only releases of Family Estate bottles... but pricing used to be high at 10-12 bucks per year of age, and now it's gotten insane (Recent $15yr release was $300-350 per bottle I think). 

Makers has Makers 46 Cask Strength but that's slated to be wide-scale release soon. Upside is you can hand dip any bottles you buy in red wax. 
Yea I already have the 46 cask

Thanks for the info

Oh yeah.. on the less insane end of the bourbon spectrum: Sadly Old Grand Dad 114 is being discontinued. RIP what many considered to be one of the last great values in whiskey. If that's your jam, keep an eye open and grab a bottle or two for the cupboard. 

Noooo... 

Got a hand-dipped bottle of Maker's White that I'm going to break open over the holidays.  :thumbup:

Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year

Rip Van Winkle 10 Year

Thomas Handy BTAC

Sazerac Rye 18yr BTAC

Eagle Rare 17 Year BTAC

Weller Antique 107

Elijah Craig 18 Year

Black Maple Hill

WL Weller 12 Year

Stagg Junior

EH Taylor Straight Rye

EH Taylor Single Barrel

Sazerac Rye

Blood Oath #2

George Dickel 17 Year
Soooo...are you first in line??

First. My 4 buddies behind me thanks to mil base internet going down and them getting off early. PVW20 shall be mine. 

They have kept the quantities hush hush, but there are going to be a LOT of disappointed folks if these lines approach what they are supposed to. 

Just hit their growler station for a 64oz founders breakfast stout and and some bourbon cream to go In coffee 

First. My 4 buddies behind me thanks to mil base internet going down and them getting off early. PVW20 shall be mine. 

They have kept the quantities hush hush, but there are going to be a LOT of disappointed folks if these lines approach what they are supposed to. 

Just hit their growler station for a 64oz founders breakfast stout and and some bourbon cream to go In coffee 

Where is this,  someplace big like Buster's or a small place? I'm not going to go,  just curious because this sounds awesome.  

Also founders breakfast stout is probably my favorite beer. It's great with a fine cigar. 

:jealous:

That sounds like an awesome time. I don't think they have anything like that out here in Seattle. Have a great time, and good luck. Post some pictures when you get a chance, would love to see what you end up getting. Yes, I'm living vicariously through you today while I'm stuck working. :thumbup:

[icon] said:

Update?  What did you get? How much did you drink last night?  How cold? Pics?

Wiped. Great times with good buddies though. It got down into lower 20s, but with the heaters provided by the shop, plus our own, we were comfy sleeping in our 10x10 tent with side walls. 

GF showed up at 5:45am with box of Joe and 10 chicken biscuits from Dunkin' Donuts, then jumped in line in 20-something degree weather to grab me another bottle when things went on sale :thumbup:  

I was first and got a PVW20... $350 which is high but not horrible. An employee told us they had two PVW15s, turns out they had one at $250. Second buddy was pissed and went WLW ($100). Other buddies got WLW and ER17 over the lot B 12yr or the ORVW 10yr. Watched things unfold and people grabbed weird crap so there were 4 Thomas Handy BTAC Ryes at $100 when she was up so we grabbed one. 

Then got a text from liquor rep buddy about a 10/12/15yr for sale from a store for $800. Told him I'd take them so I can get buddy the 15 who wanted it. Another guy wants the 10/12 and I'm swapping the 15 for his WLW so alls well that ends well. 

Not sure what I'm going to do with the 20yr. I frankly have no desire to drink it at $350, so I'm likely going to swap it for some bottles I want (thinking maybe WLW, Stagg, and maybe another Michters 10 or Birthday Bourbon.. all stuff I'd drink and enjoy, and would have effectively gotten it at retail. 

Overall a great time with buddies and hanging with random folks as well. 

Wiped. Great times with good buddies though. It got down into lower 20s, but with the heaters provided by the shop, plus our own, we were comfy sleeping in our 10x10 tent with side walls. 

GF showed up at 5:45am with box of Joe and 10 chicken biscuits from Dunkin' Donuts, then jumped in line in 20-something degree weather to grab me another bottle when things went on sale :thumbup:  

I was first and got a PVW20... $350 which is high but not horrible. An employee told us they had two PVW15s, turns out they had one at $250. Second buddy was pissed and went WLW ($100). Other buddies got WLW and ER17 over the lot B 12yr or the ORVW 10yr. Watched things unfold and people grabbed weird crap so there were 4 Thomas Handy BTAC Ryes at $100 when she was up so we grabbed one. 

Then got a text from liquor rep buddy about a 10/12/15yr for sale from a store for $800. Told him I'd take them so I can get buddy the 15 who wanted it. Another guy wants the 10/12 and I'm swapping the 15 for his WLW so alls well that ends well. 

Not sure what I'm going to do with the 20yr. I frankly have no desire to drink it at $350, so I'm likely going to swap it for some bottles I want (thinking maybe WLW, Stagg, and maybe another Michters 10 or Birthday Bourbon.. all stuff I'd drink and enjoy, and would have effectively gotten it at retail. 

I know a whole lot of people who drink whiskey, but you are the only one I "know" who does all this horse trading with it. It sounds totally awesome and totally exhausting all at the same time.

I know a whole lot of people who drink whiskey, but you are the only one I "know" who does all this horse trading with it. It sounds totally awesome and totally exhausting all at the same time.
It's kinda a hobby/game. Once the dust has cleared I may end up With the entire 2016 antique collection for $-50 (as in 50 "profit")

I only really **** around with the big deals during this big bottle season, and only to set up my drinking bottles for the next year. If I was making FBG money I still don't think I could justify spending secondary on these bottles.

It's kinda a hobby/game. Once the dust has cleared I may end up With the entire 2016 antique collection for $-50 (as in 50 "profit")

I only really **** around with the big deals during this big bottle season, and only to set up my drinking bottles for the next year. If I was making FBG money I still don't think I could justify spending secondary on these bottles.
Pricing has gotten crazy.  I have a buddy who does the same as you.  He just picked up a couple bottles of Yamazaki 18 and offered me one.  Ever try it?  Seems to get great reviews but prices are crazy!

Pricing has gotten crazy.  I have a buddy who does the same as you.  He just picked up a couple bottles of Yamazaki 18 and offered me one.  Ever try it?  Seems to get great reviews but prices are crazy!
I'm the wrong guy to ask here as I'm not a big fan of Japanese stuff. I have a Hibiki 12 that I enjoy a lot, but having tried Yamazaki 12, I'm not really a fan. That said, many folks are and Yam18 is very highly respected from what little I know. 

Cant believe you got PVW20 for $350. That's awesome.  Can't even get any here in SC.

Get ready to pay $100 for your Booker's. I guess the bourbon world is heading ### over teakettle towards the hunt for rare and crazy expensive bourbons that people will buy just to say they did. 

Beam is also killing the best value in bourbon (OGD 114).

I really hope the hipsters find another hobby soon.

New to the thread, but  some great info.  anyone ever try Jefferson's.  Just got a bottle labeled "very small batch".  Have seen their ocean aged stuff as well so interested on opinions.

Get ready to pay $100 for your Booker's. I guess the bourbon world is heading ### over teakettle towards the hunt for rare and crazy expensive bourbons that people will buy just to say they did. 

Yeah this sucks. I love Bookers. I had Thomas H Handy rye from the camp out and last night I got an idea. Posted up on the bourbon boards that I was looking to trade my bottle for a bunch of Bookers.

I got a range of offers with a mix of older and newer bottles but got one that stood out so I took it:
3 different 2015 releases + 3 different 2016 releases + sample of Bookers 10th anniversary for my Thomas H Handy (paid $100). :thumbup:

I'm good on bookers for a while now. :banned:  

I'm looking for a unique bottle for my FIL.  He's recently gone retro grouch and is trying all the new #### and getting away from the glens and JWB.  

We don't get any super rare crap down in Texas.  Willing to give cash up front. :ctsu:

I'm looking for a unique bottle for my FIL.  He's recently gone retro grouch and is trying all the new #### and getting away from the glens and JWB.  

We don't get any super rare crap down in Texas.  Willing to give cash up front. :ctsu:
Have an idea of what he likes? Price range? I'm sure myself or others in this thread can help you find something. :thumbup:

Have an idea of what he likes? Price range? I'm sure myself or others in this thread can help you find something. :thumbup:
Some observations, now some of this is scotch, but it's just to give a feel.

Favorite High End - Bowmore of various ages see 15 more often

Go to on the rocks - JWB 

Had an affair with irish whiskey and got knee deep in Middleton for awhile.  That's faded somewhat.

Always keeps something smoky/peaty around like laph 10 or similar for randomness.

Texas has been flirting with some distillers, he's a bit meh on the TX brand that is marketed heavy. It's a bit too candy sweet and lacks any finish.  Rebecca's Creek is something that is also gaining steam down here that I find a bit more interesting.  

I mean his range is pretty limited and would appreciate something that he's never likely to get access to here, more for the effort it takes to get it and be happy for it.  

Some observations, now some of this is scotch, but it's just to give a feel.

Favorite High End - Bowmore of various ages see 15 more often

Go to on the rocks - JWB 

Had an affair with irish whiskey and got knee deep in Middleton for awhile.  That's faded somewhat.

Always keeps something smoky/peaty around like laph 10 or similar for randomness.

Texas has been flirting with some distillers, he's a bit meh on the TX brand that is marketed heavy. It's a bit too candy sweet and lacks any finish.  Rebecca's Creek is something that is also gaining steam down here that I find a bit more interesting.  

I mean his range is pretty limited and would appreciate something that he's never likely to get access to here, more for the effort it takes to get it and be happy for it.  
Okay, and you're looking for a bourbon? Sounds like he'd appreciate something with a good bit of oak/age on it, if he's a big scotch guy. Likely not a wheated bourbon as they tend to be softer/sweeter. 

Do you think he'd like barrel proof offerings or prefer things down in the 90 proof range like the Bowmore 15?  

Price range matters a LOT here, especially when talking rare/unique... Sub $100? $100-200? $300-500 range? Where are you comfortable?

Get ready to pay $100 for your Booker's. I guess the bourbon world is heading ### over teakettle towards the hunt for rare and crazy expensive bourbons that people will buy just to say they did

I hear ya. The problem is that it isn't just rare and crazy bourbons. I've been having a heck of a time even finding Eagle Rare which used to be plentiful.

These people need to go back to their Zima or whatever the heck it was before bourbon became hip.  :hot:

Okay, and you're looking for a bourbon? Sounds like he'd appreciate something with a good bit of oak/age on it, if he's a big scotch guy. Likely not a wheated bourbon as they tend to be softer/sweeter. 

Do you think he'd like barrel proof offerings or prefer things down in the 90 proof range like the Bowmore 15?  

Price range matters a LOT here, especially when talking rare/unique... Sub $100? $100-200? $300-500 range? Where are you comfortable?
100-200 is the range I'm in.  And I think he's generally scotch first, but will go for a change-up.  I think the lower proof is fine.  Appreciate help/advice as always.  

Users who are viewing this thread