Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
top dog

Bourbon guys

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Megla said:

One was in Jan and was a Weller Special and only had like 4 choices, nothing of merit really

That one was my 2nd. I got a Full Proof out of it. I think I got screwed on the first one when they canceled my order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ron Swanson said:

That one was my 2nd. I got a Full Proof out of it. I think I got screwed on the first one when they canceled my order.

Got my 3rd today so you should be getting one soon although the pickings were slim, most of the good stuff was sold out already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm checking out a flyer to a charity event on Superbowl Saturday.  Prices seem steep to me for a small sample of bourbon, etc - but remember it is for charity.

$10 will get you Weller 107, Kentucky Owl Confiscated or Michter's Bourbon 10 year

$15 will get you Angel's Envy Bourbon Cask Strength, Pappy Van Winkle 15 year, Garrison Brother's Cowboy Bourbon (2019) or Mortlach 15 Game of Thrones.

$20 will get you Whistle Pig Boss Hog (Samurai or Mauve) or George Stagg.

$26 will get you Heaven's Door 26 year or Compass Box Tobias and Angel (actually $25)

There are others (like Laphroaig 18, Edradour 22, Nikka 21 and Dalmore 17), just hit the highlights.

So, maybe eight samples for $100?  Interesting afternoon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DropKick said:

So I'm checking out a flyer to a charity event on Superbowl Saturday.  Prices seem steep to me for a small sample of bourbon, etc - but remember it is for charity.

$10 will get you Weller 107, Kentucky Owl Confiscated or Michter's Bourbon 10 year

$15 will get you Angel's Envy Bourbon Cask Strength, Pappy Van Winkle 15 year, Garrison Brother's Cowboy Bourbon (2019) or Mortlach 15 Game of Thrones.

$20 will get you Whistle Pig Boss Hog (Samurai or Mauve) or George Stagg.

$26 will get you Heaven's Door 26 year or Compass Box Tobias and Angel (actually $25)

There are others (like Laphroaig 18, Edradour 22, Nikka 21 and Dalmore 17), just hit the highlights.

So, maybe eight samples for $100?  Interesting afternoon.

Weird. Not sure how this works but Weller 107. PVW 15, and Stagg (Sr, not Jr.) are a bargain combined tasting here.Boss Hogg a huge value for rye guys. Kentucky owl and Garrison are red herrings IMO but potentially some solid tastes here especially for charity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 1:24 PM, Kiddnets said:

good thread - Holiday score - 

Woodford 123 proof bottle

Whistle Pig Straight Rye 15 yr old - Vermont Estate Oaked

Knob Creek single barrel 

Above will be my special occasion bottles for the year - my usual is Woodford Reserve and Bullet 

Also recd a cocktail shaker, old fashioned syrup and a variety pack of Woodford bitters flavors (Orange, Cherry, Chocolate) - whats the go to best recipe out there for an old fashioned?  

 

Bourbon, simple and bitters :shrug:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Weird. Not sure how this works but Weller 107. PVW 15, and Stagg (Sr, not Jr.) are a bargain combined tasting here.Boss Hogg a huge value for rye guys. Kentucky owl and Garrison are red herrings IMO but potentially some solid tastes here especially for charity.

Michrers ten is good deal as well. Can you get more than 1 in a category. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DropKick said:

So I'm checking out a flyer to a charity event on Superbowl Saturday.  Prices seem steep to me for a small sample of bourbon, etc - but remember it is for charity.

$10 will get you Weller 107, Kentucky Owl Confiscated or Michter's Bourbon 10 year

$15 will get you Angel's Envy Bourbon Cask Strength, Pappy Van Winkle 15 year, Garrison Brother's Cowboy Bourbon (2019) or Mortlach 15 Game of Thrones.

$20 will get you Whistle Pig Boss Hog (Samurai or Mauve) or George Stagg.

$26 will get you Heaven's Door 26 year or Compass Box Tobias and Angel (actually $25)

There are others (like Laphroaig 18, Edradour 22, Nikka 21 and Dalmore 17), just hit the highlights.

So, maybe eight samples for $100?  Interesting afternoon.

I’m still slowly working my way through the bottle of Boss Hog (Mauve) my wife got me Father’s Day. It is absolutely amazing. I’d easily pay $20 for a swig of it, charity or not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 11:11 PM, Dan Lambskin said:

Bourbon, simple and bitters :shrug:

lol - thought there were some spins on the usual....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:19 PM, DropKick said:

So I'm checking out a flyer to a charity event on Superbowl Saturday.  Prices seem steep to me for a small sample of bourbon, etc - but remember it is for charity.

$10 will get you Weller 107, Kentucky Owl Confiscated or Michter's Bourbon 10 year

$15 will get you Angel's Envy Bourbon Cask Strength, Pappy Van Winkle 15 year, Garrison Brother's Cowboy Bourbon (2019) or Mortlach 15 Game of Thrones.

$20 will get you Whistle Pig Boss Hog (Samurai or Mauve) or George Stagg.

$26 will get you Heaven's Door 26 year or Compass Box Tobias and Angel (actually $25)

There are others (like Laphroaig 18, Edradour 22, Nikka 21 and Dalmore 17), just hit the highlights.

So, maybe eight samples for $100?  Interesting afternoon.

Been to a number of bourbon tastings.   After 3-4 it won`t matter.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kiddnets said:

lol - thought there were some spins on the usual....

It’s such a basic drink though that once you start tweaking it you enter another drink territory.  You could mess with some infusions or differing bitters I guess

cocktail codex is a good book that goes into the history of the drink and all the variations it spawned

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 1:24 PM, Kiddnets said:

good thread - Holiday score - 

Woodford 123 proof bottle

Whistle Pig Straight Rye 15 yr old - Vermont Estate Oaked

Knob Creek single barrel 

Above will be my special occasion bottles for the year - my usual is Woodford Reserve and Bullet 

Also recd a cocktail shaker, old fashioned syrup and a variety pack of Woodford bitters flavors (Orange, Cherry, Chocolate) - whats the go to best recipe out there for an old fashioned?  

 

I have posted this before in this site  but below is my recipe.  Simple the way it ought to be.

 

Take a sugar cube (or just a teaspoon of sugar if you don't have cubes) and add 2 or 3 splashes of Angostura bitters so the sugar is soaked in bitters.  Muddle the sugar and bitters and then add two shots of Rye*.  Stir mixture together (the sugar doesn't really fully dissolve but will do so overtime as ice melts).  Add ice (I prefer one big ice cube if you have them but otherwise a few cubes) and then stir again (sugar will dissolve at this point). 

Optional to add some orange peal at the end but if you do first twist it over the drink to release the oils into drink.  It is a nice addition and worth it.

Also, optional to add a splash of soda water after Rye to have sugar fully dissolve but don't think you need to or should.  If you order it out a lot of times it has this addition so many people expect it.       

*I think Rye makes a much better cocktail then bourbon as bourbon is just to sweet and the Rye spice improves the drink overall.  This is also true for Manhattans.  My go to Rye for cocktails is Bulleit since it is a very high rye mash bill (95% rye), reasonably priced and widely available.

 

 

Edited by Redwes25
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 2:27 PM, kutta said:

I’m still slowly working my way through the bottle of Boss Hog (Mauve) my wife got me Father’s Day. It is absolutely amazing. I’d easily pay $20 for a swig of it, charity or not.

So it sounds like I could go with the Boss Hog (Mauve), Pappy 15, Stagg (Sr.) Weller 107 and Michter's 10 and be at $75.

Then go home and open this bottle of Eagle Rare because, at that point, it won't matter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DropKick said:

So it sounds like I could go with the Boss Hog (Mauve), Pappy 15, Stagg (Sr.) Weller 107 and Michter's 10 and be at $75.

Then go home and open this bottle of Eagle Rare because, at that point, it won't matter.

Sounds perfect!

And Eagle Rare is not a bad way to finish off the night at all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 8:03 PM, Redwes25 said:

 

*I think Rye makes a much better cocktail then bourbon as bourbon is just to sweet and the Rye spice improves the drink overall.  This is also true for Manhattans.  My go to Rye for cocktails is Bulleit since it is a very high rye mash bill (95% rye), reasonably priced and widely available.

 

I'm a big fan of rye for manhattans, go back and forth on an old fashioned (really not my favorite drink anyway)...but for many whiskey cocktails that use bourbon, I find Old Grand-dad 114 to be great for standing up to flavors and not overly sweet. Love the Bulleit rye rec also - if I'm making a lot of a cocktail and not doing one craft one, I often use Bulleit Frontier bourbon as well for bourbon ones. It also has a very high rye mash for bourbons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kutta said:

Sounds perfect!

And Eagle Rare is not a bad way to finish off the night at all...

Eagle Rare is not a bad way to start the night either. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do y'all think about New Riff?  Had it for the first time a couple weeks ago.  Thought it was tasty.

Oddly enough, the distillery is in Newport, KY, just across the river from Cincy (about 30 minutes from me) and I'd never had it.  Only tried it as a result of a recommendation from a dude in Louisville when I was in town to hit the bourbon trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, doowain said:

What do y'all think about New Riff?  Had it for the first time a couple weeks ago.  Thought it was tasty.

Oddly enough, the distillery is in Newport, KY, just across the river from Cincy (about 30 minutes from me) and I'd never had it.  Only tried it as a result of a recommendation from a dude in Louisville when I was in town to hit the bourbon trail.

Good stuff. I'm just about through a bottle of the Single Barrel. Good sign that it's that tasty after only 4 years. Some great things to come from them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 9:03 PM, Redwes25 said:

I have posted this before in this site  but below is my recipe.  Simple the way it ought to be.

 

Take a sugar cube (or just a teaspoon of sugar if you don't have cubes) and add 2 or 3 splashes of Angostura bitters so the sugar is soaked in bitters.  Muddle the sugar and bitters and then add two shots of Rye*.  Stir mixture together (the sugar doesn't really fully dissolve but will do so overtime as ice melts).  Add ice (I prefer one big ice cube if you have them but otherwise a few cubes) and then stir again (sugar will dissolve at this point). 

Optional to add some orange peal at the end but if you do first twist it over the drink to release the oils into drink.  It is a nice addition and worth it.

Also, optional to add a splash of soda water after Rye to have sugar fully dissolve but don't think you need to or should.  If you order it out a lot of times it has this addition so many people expect it.       

*I think Rye makes a much better cocktail then bourbon as bourbon is just to sweet and the Rye spice improves the drink overall.  This is also true for Manhattans.  My go to Rye for cocktails is Bulleit since it is a very high rye mash bill (95% rye), reasonably priced and widely available.

 

 

Question - if I do this w/o the sugar (so, rye, bitters, orange twist), does that have a name?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heckmanm said:

Question - if I do this w/o the sugar (so, rye, bitters, orange twist), does that have a name?

Swap sugar for sweet vermouth and orange for cherry and you have a Manhattan.  Don't think what you proposed is a drink.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Swap sugar for sweet vermouth and orange for cherry and you have a Manhattan.  Don't think what you proposed is a drink.  

Yeah I know about Manhattans.  Just wasn't sure if there was a name for basically an unsweetened OF.  I guess it's just "Rye with a couple dashes of bitters"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, heckmanm said:

Yeah I know about Manhattans.  Just wasn't sure if there was a name for basically an unsweetened OF.  I guess it's just "Rye with a couple dashes of bitters"

Correct here. Never heard of a rye and bitter only drink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 9:03 PM, Redwes25 said:

I have posted this before in this site  but below is my recipe.  Simple the way it ought to be.

 

Take a sugar cube (or just a teaspoon of sugar if you don't have cubes) and add 2 or 3 splashes of Angostura bitters so the sugar is soaked in bitters.  Muddle the sugar and bitters and then add two shots of Rye*.  Stir mixture together (the sugar doesn't really fully dissolve but will do so overtime as ice melts).  Add ice (I prefer one big ice cube if you have them but otherwise a few cubes) and then stir again (sugar will dissolve at this point). 

Optional to add some orange peal at the end but if you do first twist it over the drink to release the oils into drink.  It is a nice addition and worth it.

Also, optional to add a splash of soda water after Rye to have sugar fully dissolve but don't think you need to or should.  If you order it out a lot of times it has this addition so many people expect it.       

*I think Rye makes a much better cocktail then bourbon as bourbon is just to sweet and the Rye spice improves the drink overall.  This is also true for Manhattans.  My go to Rye for cocktails is Bulleit since it is a very high rye mash bill (95% rye), reasonably priced and widely available.

 

 

Good recipe but I muddle some cocktail cherries with the sugar and bitters. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 2:26 PM, heckmanm said:

Yeah I know about Manhattans.  Just wasn't sure if there was a name for basically an unsweetened OF.  I guess it's just "Rye with a couple dashes of bitters"

I prefer old fashioneds with no sugar 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My beverage this evening - Black Manhattan

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond Bourbon

Averna Amaro

Fee Brothers (out of Rochester, NY) Aztec Chocolate Bitters

Luxardo maraschino cherry for garnish

Nice spicy winter warmer, like Cherry Coke but with a chocolate twist. The EW does just fine in this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lo Ryedr

2 oz Low Gap Rye

.5 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur

.5 oz Punt e Mes

2 dashes Aztec Chocolate bitters

2 dashes Cherry Bitters

stir all ingredients with ice until chilled and serve in an up glass with a Luxardo Cherry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jules Winnfield said:

Lo Ryedr

2 oz Low Gap Rye

.5 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur

.5 oz Punt e Mes

2 dashes Aztec Chocolate bitters

2 dashes Cherry Bitters

stir all ingredients with ice until chilled and serve in an up glass with a Luxardo Cherry

Every time I have a drink like this, or pretty much any whiskey drink, I always wish I was just drinking the whiskey and not all the other stuff. I’ve stopped making them and ordering them and just keep my drinking simple.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kutta said:

Every time I have a drink like this, or pretty much any whiskey drink, I always wish I was just drinking the whiskey and not all the other stuff. I’ve stopped making them and ordering them and just keep my drinking simple.

I love my rye neat but a Boulevardier or New Friend is a great thing

I love my bourbon neat but a Paper Plane is a great thing

I love my single malt scotch, especially from Islay, neat but a Penicillin is a great thing

A well balanced three or four ingredient cocktail is simple and delicious

Edited by Jules Winnfield
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving to a new house with a wet bar in 4 weeks  :excited:

Will finally be able to justify stocking a bar since I'll have one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jules Winnfield said:

I love my rye neat but a Boulevardier or New Friend is a great thing

I love my bourbon neat but a Paper Plane is a great thing

I love my single malt scotch, especially from Islay, neat but a Penicillin is a great thing

A well balanced three or four ingredient cocktail is simple and delicious

 I hear ya. And a Boulevardier is one of my favs. I just find myself more and more staying away from cocktails and sticking to a whiskey neat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Moving to a new house with a wet bar in 4 weeks  :excited:

Will finally be able to justify stocking a bar since I'll have one.

Drink your bourbon neat and you won`t need a wet bar.:D

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up some Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, after reading it was good on a list of "cheaper" bourbons.  I will say it's not bad!! It has a little bite to it, but good flavor. Decent straight up and good in a mixer. ~$30, I think. Not bad for a standard weekend bourbon. :thumbup: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really liking the Redemption bourbons and ryes. Low price point and very good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

INTERNATIONAL WHISKEY DAY 

International Whisk(e)y Day was first announced in 2008 and falls on 27 March each year.[1] The name is used with the parenthesis to indicate support of Scottish, Canadian, and Japanese whiskies (no e) as well as Irish and American whiskeys

Edited by The Man With No Name
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a fan of 4 Roses small batch but could never find the 4 Roses single barrel...til now. That stuff is no joke. Packs a monster punch. Very good, but I think it crosses my threshold. Maybe again somebody, but not soon. 🥃

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a relative novice to bourbon but last night I nailed a blind tasting of my home stock. 

Included were Larceny small batch, Evan Williams bottled in bond, Pikesville Rye, 1792 small batch, and Woodford Reserve double oaked, in ascending order of preference. Granted these encompass a lot of different styles but I didn’t think I’d actually be able to pick them apart.

Really the double oaked is a different experience than the rest, more of a dessert bourbon, while the 1792 hits some great fruity notes with a nice smooth afterburn. The Larceny was the only one I think I wouldn’t buy again; it’s the same price as the 1792 where I am but for me didn’t offer anything interesting on the nose or the palette.

If anyone knows of any more affordable bourbons  (sub $40) similar to the WR double oaked, I'd love to try some.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buddy just dropped a pint of Eagle Rare off in my mailbox. God Bless America. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Buddy just dropped a pint of Eagle Rare off in my mailbox. God Bless America. 

Those little bottles of Eagle Rare are adorable.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up some Russell Reserve Single Barrel.  Heard it compared favorably to the Pappy 15.  I'll crack it after I finish off this Scotch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, kutta said:

I am really liking the Redemption bourbons and ryes. Low price point and very good. 

I’m a cocktail guy, manhattans, not a big fan of redemption in the mix.

In general I like rye and high proof.  One half exception being Breckenridge...their high proof blend is my go-to so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DropKick said:

Picked up some Russell Reserve Single Barrel.  Heard it compared favorably to the Pappy 15.  I'll crack it after I finish off this Scotch.

Your taste buds will be bastardized after scotch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.