Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
top dog

Bourbon guys

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Megla said:

Mine is correct and my mailing address has changed from the last time you sent stuff

Can send Venmo or Paypal via the addresses I posted. Include name and address and NO mention of alcohol please.  If you need to work something else just PM me . :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

DIMFH :wub:

@CGRdrJoe - is that your label there - are you from Novato?   Just curious as I grew up just outside of Santa Rosa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, acarey50 said:

@CGRdrJoe - is that your label there - are you from Novato?   Just curious as I grew up just outside of Santa Rosa

It is, I’m from so cal but have lived in Novato now for 20 of the last 22 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

It is, I’m from so cal but have lived in Novato now for 20 of the last 22 years.

Ha - I'm the opposite - from up there originally, been in Orange County the last 19 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, acarey50 said:

@CGRdrJoe - is that your label there - are you from Novato?   Just curious as I grew up just outside of Santa Rosa

Damnit, I threw the scissors on there to provide some anonymity but prob shoulda covered last name and city too :lol:  Sorry Joe 

Got Megla's address so these are all packed up. 6 bottles (your 5 bottles + 1 mystery bottle) in bubble wrap, then into bubble mailers. Covered with BBQ Sauce & Marinade stickers to kill suspicion :)

They will go to the Post office after my 2pm call so I'm hoping everyone has them by Friday or saturday at the latest. 

 

Edited by [icon]
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just dropped them all off, it was only a couple bucks more per package to send priority mail so we went with that to make sure you guys got them for the weekend.:thumbup: 

We'll call that "sponsored by the dudes who threw a few extra bucks in". Thanks guys  :D 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Just dropped them all off, it was only a couple bucks more per package to send priority mail so we went with that to make sure you guys got them for the weekend.:thumbup: 

We'll call that "sponsored by the dudes who threw a few extra bucks in". Thanks guys  :D 

Awesome - now to plan the appropriate food pairings to go with the tastings.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping to get the rest of the kits together this week. I'll keep you guys posted. I don't see any reason everyone shouldn't have their bourbon by mid next week, however. 

Curious to get feedback on the Mystery bottle... It's marked with a "?" In each pack. 

LIke last time we'll set up a survey for those taking the blind tastings to get their feedback, then we'll unveil what each bottle was, and how they ranked among our prestigious tasting panel :) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Hoping to get the rest of the kits together this week. I'll keep you guys posted. I don't see any reason everyone shouldn't have their bourbon by mid next week, however. 

Curious to get feedback on the Mystery bottle... It's marked with a "?" In each pack. 

 prestigious 

geez,  If you're gonna call us names

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

that's a good one

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TOP SHELF TASTERS :

Here is the google forms survey to collect your grade for each sample, leave tasting notes, and to rank all samples. 

https://forms.gle/JyVeejy7zw51Kdko7

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you by any chance have the list of the bourbons from the last time you did this - my search skill are weak, trying to see again what there was, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acarey50 said:

Do you by any chance have the list of the bourbons from the last time you did this - my search skill are weak, trying to see again what there was, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/W8zPBoa
 

Batch one (5): 

Weller 12 / Elmer T Lee / Old Fitz / Old Weller Antique Pick / Our Private Eagle Rare Barrel Pick 

Barrel Proof (4) : 

Willett Family Estate 12yr Bourbon  (diff one) / Four Roses OESF Pick / Michters Barrel Proof Toasted Bourbon / Willett Family Estate 6yr Rye (MGP). 
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Freak Show said:

No hurry, but PM me with a total and paypal information when you get a chance.

Same. Unless I missed a post and am being dumb. You rock. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@[icon]

The Eagle has landed! Package received.

It's sitting on my desk at work staring at me. Tempting me...

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kutta said:

@[icon]

The Eagle has landed! Package received.

It's sitting on my desk at work staring at me. Tempting me...

I'm sure a swig or two of 136 proof bourbon wouldn't be noticed on your breath or mood.....  go for it IMO :banned: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 9:10 AM, Freak Show said:

No hurry, but PM me with a total and paypal information when you get a chance.

 

22 hours ago, Instinctive said:

Same. Unless I missed a post and am being dumb. You rock. 

YOu guys haven't missed anything. Hoping to finalize list and prices today! Sorry has been an insanely busy week at work. GOAL is to ship Monday or Tuesday at the latest. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kutta said:

@[icon]

The Eagle has landed! Package received.

It's sitting on my desk at work staring at me. Tempting me...

Great - now I will do nothing but stare out my window hoping that I too receive a package in the mail today. Bye bye productivity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, acarey50 said:

Great - now I will do nothing but stare out my window hoping that I too receive a package in the mail today. Bye bye productivity.

I’m doing the same thing :lmao:

way to go @kutta you’ve ruined 2 of our days so far 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

I’m doing the same thing :lmao:

way to go @kutta you’ve ruined 2 of our days so far 

Shut up dummy cause yours just arrived too!!!

@icon gracias again!

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's my pleasure guys.  I sincerely love sharing this stuff, and love hearing back on how folks love stuff. 

Sorry to even be charging anything, but the GF would murder me if I was just sending out stuff from some of my hard-earned / favorite bottles for nothing :lol:   If anyone is unhappy with what they got for the money I'll gladly send cash back. I want everyone to be happy and get to experience fun new stuff :banned: 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@[icon]Apologies for the delayed response here.  Would still be happy to join and pay for any tier but doubt still desired.  Thanks for coordinating this and had a blast last time with the blind tasting.  

 

Edited by cincredfan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Update on the two remaining blind samplers

Spectrum Sampler: BLIND - $TBD

1) @Redwes25 (added via Kutta) 
2) Instinctive 
3) Nathan R Jessop
4) Freakshow
5) cincredfan

Bucket List Sampler: BLIND - $TBD

1) @Bluesbomber 
2) Man with no Name
3) Mr Roboto 
4) Brutal Penguin
5) Gamma1210 


TIMELINE GOALS:
- Whiskey Selection & Pricing finalized by TONIGHT 8/17.
- Pouring/Packing and Shipping done by Tuesday 8/25.

Payment address (Paypal/Venmo preferred) will be provided when the list and pricing is nailed down. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I downed all the whiskeys tonight. I thought about sharing them, but, nah.

Man - good stuff @[icon] - thanks again for doing this!

@CGRdrJoe and I played FBG poker all night and drank our top shelf selections - it was a great time.

My evals might be a little sketch because, well, I've had a few whiskeys...

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kutta said:

I downed all the whiskeys tonight. I thought about sharing them, but, nah.

Man - good stuff @[icon] - thanks again for doing this!

@CGRdrJoe and I played FBG poker all night and drank our top shelf selections - it was a great time.

My evals might be a little sketch because, well, I've had a few whiskeys...

Well I suppose that's one way to do it :lol: 

Look forward to your guy's recollections. Wish I had known I'd have jumped in on poker and drank with ya 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kutta said:

I downed all the whiskeys tonight. I thought about sharing them, but, nah.

Man - good stuff @[icon] - thanks again for doing this!

@CGRdrJoe and I played FBG poker all night and drank our top shelf selections - it was a great time.

My evals might be a little sketch because, well, I've had a few whiskeys...

My head hurts 😂😂

  • Laughing 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CGRdrJoe said:

My head hurts 😂😂

I’m struggling a bit too...

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jealous of you guys doing the top shelf sampler.  There was some great stuff in there I have had, and some amazing stuff I have yet to.   Didn’t get in because I am not really drinking right now.  When this COVID thing first started and I thought I wouldnt be traveling for a month I said I wasn’t going to drink until I was traveling again....5 months later, here we are.  Ha.  Im going to crack eventually, but if I got a shipment with some of these goodies @[icon] is sending you guys, I wouldnt make it out of my mail room before giving them a try.  Looking forward to everyone’s reviews!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and I think you already know, but the pricing he is giving you guys is crazy good.  To replicate what he is sending the top shelf guys on the secondary market would cost you guys multiples of what you are paying.   

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ditka...mike ditka said:

Oh, and I think you already know, but the pricing he is giving you guys is crazy good.  To replicate what he is sending the top shelf guys on the secondary market would cost you guys multiples of what you are paying.   

Definitely blessed - and honestly it is why I am really thinking of holding off just a little while to try so that I can arrange a time when I can enjoy them with a friend of mine who I know would likely do the same for me were our positions reversed and he received some good stuff to try, as neither of us could really afford to try these at true secondary prices.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 12:51 PM, [icon] said:

Loading up the top shelf bottles and packing them up.... 

https://imgur.com/a/CQ7HYo1

 

 

Packaged received

Plan on having one bottle at kickoff of each of the Jags games so it will be six weeks before I do the survey but will most likely post thoughts on game day while the taste is still fresh in my mind

Thanks again icon

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 10:31 AM, [icon] said:

Update on the two remaining blind samplers
 

Bucket List Sampler: BLIND - $TBD

1) @Bluesbomber 
2) Man with no Name
3) Mr Roboto 
4) Brutal Penguin
5) Gamma1210 


TIMELINE GOALS:
- Whiskey Selection & Pricing finalized by TONIGHT 8/17.
- Pouring/Packing and Shipping done by Tuesday 8/25.

Payment address (Paypal/Venmo preferred) will be provided when the list and pricing is nailed down. 

??? Price???

Going out of state next Monday. Gonna get it by Saturday???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my set on Friday, but not sure I will be able to taste them all until this weekend. Want to be able to give it the time/attention it deserves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2020 at 12:13 PM, [icon] said:

I can do that with the Spectrum. Already expanded Top Shelf to 6 entries to squeeze ya in. That's already about 1/3 of a bottle of a lot of good stuff. :)

Next round of this should be allocated enough spots to do a full bottle of each.  I'm sure you'd get enough interest and plenty would go 2-3 portions for F&F if you end up with trouble filling it and that way your personal stash is unmolested.  Hell I'm not even a bourbon drinker but would get in on this for a couple-three to share with buddies who are.

edit: not meaning to sound ungrateful, I realize it's a ton of effort and @[icon] is doing God's work here.

Did anyone end up bailing on paying?  I'd be happy to pick up someone's slack in any category if so.

Edited by Hankmoody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Next round of this should be allocated enough spots to do a full bottle of each.  I'm sure you'd get enough interest and plenty would go 2-3 portions for F&F if you end up with trouble filling it and that way your personal stash is unmolested.  Hell I'm not even a bourbon drinker but would get in on this for a couple-three to share with buddies who are.

edit: not meaning to sound ungrateful, I realize it's a ton of effort and @[icon] is doing God's work here.

Did anyone end up bailing on paying?  I'd be happy to pick up someone's slack in any category if so.

I have gotten no messages from @[icon] about price to pay, shipping date, etc.

Edited by The Man With No Name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

icon has mentioned he is crazy busy at work...put together top shelf so has a good idea the time sink...involved...guessing pricing shipping will be soonish...speculating if work crazy on a M-F gig...Monday, nutso bonkers...Tuesday...dang some #### went right but...what didn't hella nuts...so by Wed...bourbon time regardless...lol...one of the good things about working in a warehouse 75% of the time it suxor...but ya know it, expect it...do it...hit the clock...fageddabout it...haha off 4 days...what warehouse?   

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sorry guys been slammed!
 

Spectrum Sampler: BLIND - $45

1) @Redwes25
2) @Instinctive
3) @Nathan R. Jessep
4) @Freak Show
5) @cincredfan

Bucket List Sampler: BLIND - $60

1) @Bluesbomber 
2) @The Man With No Name
3) @mr roboto
4) @BrutalPenguin
5) @Gamma1210

Each group will get 5 bottles plus a mystery sampler (same among all 3 groups). Both include at least one "Treat" bottle that goes for several hundred / is near impossible to find. 

 

Please send Venmo (@savard) or Paypal (matt_savard@yahoo.com) for the amount above.
FYI: It costs me about $13 per kit for packaging, bottles, and postage, btw. Sorry, I was hoping these would have been cheaper.

DO include your forum name, real name and address with payment.
DO NOT Mention alcohol at ALL in comments.

Anyone violating the last will be cancelled and barred from future tastings.

Thanks for your patience, guys! 


 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dudes, got my first "vault opening" selection at ABC, chose Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, $140ish.  

It's delicious.  Didn't scroll through the past pages, any of you ladies and gents try it?  Is it worth going back years and picking up a bottle on secondary?  I bought 2 bottles above MSRP, a George Stagg 2018 for $350 (I know, ugh) and Blantons for $100.  Swore I wouldn't do it again but sipping on the Birthday bourbon has my second guessing my resolve.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, got_nugs said:

Dudes, got my first "vault opening" selection at ABC, chose Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, $140ish.  

It's delicious.  Didn't scroll through the past pages, any of you ladies and gents try it?  Is it worth going back years and picking up a bottle on secondary?  I bought 2 bottles above MSRP, a George Stagg 2018 for $350 (I know, ugh) and Blantons for $100.  Swore I wouldn't do it again but sipping on the Birthday bourbon has my second guessing my resolve.  

When did you get the vault invite on the OFBB?

Stagg at $350 isn't too bad...I think list is $179 and secondary is normally $500-$800 ish? I've paid $100 for some Blanton's variants (Gold, Straight from the Cask) and they are worth every penny but regular Blanton's is $60 bottle but a tough find right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

When did you get the vault invite on the OFBB?

Stagg at $350 isn't too bad...I think list is $179 and secondary is normally $500-$800 ish? I've paid $100 for some Blanton's variants (Gold, Straight from the Cask) and they are worth every penny but regular Blanton's is $60 bottle but a tough find right now.

10/11 days ago?  Allowed me to purchase 1 bottle.  All the ORVW and BTAC stuff was unavailable, i'm assuming due to the time of year it is.  They had Blantons for $60 but i've seen overpriced Blantons if I wanted to get I could...but i've never seen the Birthday Bourbon here in SWFL, although i'm somewhat new to the addiction  hobby of collecting Bourbons so it was a pretty easy choice to go with the Old Forester.

They invited me to shop the vault again this last Friday but for wine only.  Mostly Cabs, no Bordeaux that I saw, some looked pretty rare but I didn't know what I was looking at enough to back that assertion.  Up to $700/bottle from what I recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

When did you get the vault invite on the OFBB?

Stagg at $350 isn't too bad...I think list is $179 and secondary is normally $500-$800 ish? I've paid $100 for some Blanton's variants (Gold, Straight from the Cask) and they are worth every penny but regular Blanton's is $60 bottle but a tough find right now.

George T Stagg's (retail ~$89-99) pricing has "Benefitted" by large volume releases the last few years. GTS now runs 300-400 on secondary, so that's on par. 

Blantons for $100 is pretty on-value as well... like Ron said, tough to find! 

OFBB used to be $70-80 retail and $150-175 secondary but secondary has spiked for many releases upwards of $300-350 from what I recall. For me, OFBB is solid 12yr old Old Forrester distillate. It's not really extra aged, or barrel proof or anything other particularly distinguishing features, but it's very tasty.

For me, personally, at the ~$300 secondary range I'm taking GTS (135 proof / 17 years) over OFBB, (100 proof / 12 years).  
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, [icon] said:

George T Stagg's (retail ~$89-99) pricing has "Benefitted" by large volume releases the last few years. GTS now runs 300-400 on secondary, so that's on par. 

Blantons for $100 is pretty on-value as well... like Ron said, tough to find! 

OFBB used to be $70-80 retail and $150-175 secondary but secondary has spiked for many releases upwards of $300-350 from what I recall. For me, OFBB is solid 12yr old Old Forrester distillate. It's not really extra aged, or barrel proof or anything other particularly distinguishing features, but it's very tasty.

For me, personally, at the ~$300 secondary range I'm taking GTS (135 proof / 17 years) over OFBB, (100 proof / 12 years).  
 

Since it seems like you like the high test stuff, what's your opinion on what Barrell Bourbon is doing?  I've had batch 23, the infinite barrell, Rye #2 and dovetail, all I really liked.  Found bottle #9999 of batch 21 that i'm saving for my friend, the fella that got me in to bourbons.  I'm sure you've covered this in the 34 pages of the thread, I suppose I could grab a glass and start reading at some point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Sorry guys been slammed!
 

Spectrum Sampler: BLIND - $45

1) @Redwes25
2) @Instinctive
3) @Nathan R. Jessep
4) @Freak Show
5) @cincredfan

Bucket List Sampler: BLIND - $60

1) @Bluesbomber 
2) @The Man With No Name
3) @mr roboto
4) @BrutalPenguin
5) @Gamma1210

Each group will get 5 bottles plus a mystery sampler (same among all 3 groups). Both include at least one "Treat" bottle that goes for several hundred / is near impossible to find. 

 

Please send Venmo (@savard) or Paypal (matt_savard@yahoo.com) for the amount above.
FYI: It costs me about $13 per kit for packaging, bottles, and postage, btw. Sorry, I was hoping these would have been cheaper.

DO include your name and address with payment.
DO NOT Mention alcohol at ALL in comments.

Anyone violating the last will be cancelled and barred from future tastings.

Thanks for your patience, guys! 


 

Sent mine by paypal. Thanks [icon]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 11:29 AM, [icon] said:

 this is an image the current tentative list:

From Left to Right:
1) 1992 ceramic decanter Old Commonwealth from JP Van Winkle Distillery (link to image since it's decanted)
2) 12yr Van Winkle Lot B - 2017 Release
3) EH Taylor Special Release "Four Grain"  2018 Release
4) Willett Family Estate 11yr #438
5) Willett Family Estate 12yr  #3656
6) BTAC George T Stagg - 2019 Release (124.9pf) 
7) BTAC William Larue Weller - 2018 Release (125.7pf)
8 )BTAC Thomas H Handy Rye - 2017 Release (127.2pf)
9) Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12yr Squat - 2014 Release
10) Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon - 2016 Release
 

 

 

 

:eek::wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, got_nugs said:

Since it seems like you like the high test stuff, what's your opinion on what Barrell Bourbon is doing?  I've had batch 23, the infinite barrell, Rye #2 and dovetail, all I really liked.  Found bottle #9999 of batch 21 that i'm saving for my friend, the fella that got me in to bourbons.  I'm sure you've covered this in the 34 pages of the thread, I suppose I could grab a glass and start reading at some point.  

I've honestly not tried much of the Barrel stuff. I know a couple folks who got really into it. All of their bourbon (from what I understand) is sourced so it varied pretty greatly in flavor/quality. I've heard some batches can be damn good, I just can't speak to them, sorry! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.