What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 Hall of Fame class thread *** (1 Viewer)

Injuries cut his career short, but without Terrell Davis, John Elway only has a wedding band on his fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Less than two months after Brett Favre headlined the 54th Pro Football Hall of Fame class, the nominees for the 55th class have been revealed.

Former San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson leads the list of first-year eligibles for the Hall of Fame's 2017 class.

The 2006 NFL Most Valuable Player, Tomlinson was a five-time Pro Bowl selection and six-time All Pro across 11 seasons with the Chargers and New York Jets. He ranks fifth in career rushing yards (13,684), seventh in all-purpose yards (18,456) and third in touchdowns (162).

Every player ranked ahead of Tomlinson on the career rushing and touchdown lists already boasts a bust in Canton.

In addition to Tomlinson, the list of first-year eligibles includes safety Brian Dawkins, defensive end Jason Taylor, quarterback Donovan McNabb, running back Shaun Alexander and wide receivers Hines Ward and Chad Johnson.

Those players will be joined by 2016 finalists such as Kurt Warner, Terrell Davis, Terrell Owens, John Lynch and Don Coryell.

This year's list of nominees consists of 45 offensive players, 32 defensive players, six special teams players and 11 coaches. Those 94 candidates will be reduced to 25 semifinalists in November and 15 finalists in January.

The 15 finalists will be joined by Senior Finalist Kenny Easley and 2017 Contributor Finalists Jerry Jones and Paul Tagliabue when the 48-member Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee meets to vote on the eve of Super Bowl LI.
The above is from a story on NFL.com today. My view:

I think LT2, Brian Dawkins, Jason Taylor, Shaun Alexander and Terrell Owens should make it next year.

Kurt Warner, Terrell Davis, John Lynch can wait. Warner and TD had comparatively short careers and I am not convinced Lynch was legendary enough.

I don't think Donovan McNabb, Chad Johnson or Hines Ward belong. 

The above is from a story on NFL.com today. My view:

I think LT2, Brian Dawkins, Jason Taylor, Shaun Alexander and Terrell Owens should make it next year.

Kurt Warner, Terrell Davis, John Lynch can wait. Warner and TD had comparatively short careers and I am not convinced Lynch was legendary enough.

I don't think Donovan McNabb, Chad Johnson or Hines Ward belong. 
no way Alexander should make it in before TD, and I like SA.

The fan voting over at NFL.com has the top players as such...

• Terrell Davis 3%
  • Terell Owens 3%
  • Ladainian Tomlinson 3%
  • Hines Ward 3%
  • Kurt Warner 3%
Followed by 16 players at 2%.

My all time favorite player, Kenny Easley. He was put forth this year by the veteran's committee. 

Amazing 7 year career. 5 times all-pro. Defensive rookie of the year. 84 defensive MVP. 80s all decade team. Super stud and very deserving. Considering making my pilgrimage to Canton next summer to hear his speech live. 

Wife and I are considering a trip to Canton for the induction ceremony. Found this information via the HOF website. 

https://hofexperiences.com/2017-pro-football-hall-of-fame

Would love to know if the packages they offer are worth it. Can someone just show up and get into hear the speeches? How hard is it to get into stuff like the gold jacket ceremony? Any information that someone has would be appreciated. 

Here is the complete list of semifinalists (names listed in alphabetical order):

1. Morten Anderson, kicker (New Orleans Saints, 1982-1994; Atlanta Falcons, 1995-2000; 2006-07; New York Giants, 2001; Kansas City Chiefs, 2002-03; Minnesota Vikings, 2004)
2. Steve Atwater, safety (Denver Broncos, 1989-1998; New York Jets, 1999)
3. Tony Boselli, offensive tackle (Jacksonville Jaguars, 1995-2001; Houston Texans, 2002)
4. Isaac Bruce, wide receiver (Los Angeles Rams, 1994; St. Louis Rams, 1995-2007; San Francisco 49ers, 2008-09)
5. Don Coryell, coach (St. Louis Cardinals, 1973-77; San Diego Chargers, 1978-1986)
6. Roger Craig, running back (San Francisco 49ers, 1983-1990; Los Angeles Raiders, 1991; Minnesota Vikings, 1992-93)
7. Terrell Davis, running back (Denver Broncos, 1995-2001)
8. Brian Dawkins, safety (Philadelphia Eagles, 1996-2008; Denver Broncos, 2009-2011)
9. Alan Faneca, guard (Pittsburgh Steelers, 1998-2007; New York Jets, 2008-09; Arizona Cardinals, 2010)
10. Chris Hinton, offensive tackle/guard (Baltimore Colts, 1983; Indianapolis Colts, 1984-89; Atlanta Falcons, 1990-93; Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95)
11. Torry Holt, wide receiver (St. Louis Rams, 1999-2008; Jacksonville Jaguars, 2009)
12. Joe Jacoby, offensive tackle (Washington Redskins, 1981-1993)
13. Edgerrin James, running back (Indianapolis Colts, 1999-2005; Arizona Cardinals, 2006-08; Seattle Seahawks, 2009)
14. Jimmy Johnson, coach (Dallas Cowboys, 1989-1993; Miami Dolphins, 1996-99)
15. Mike Kenn, offensive tackle (Atlanta Falcons, 1978-1994)
16. Ty Law, cornerback (New England Patriots, 1995-2004; New York Jets, 2005, '08; Kansas City Chiefs, 2006-07; Denver Broncos, 2009)
17. John Lynch, safety (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1993-2003; Denver Broncos, 2004-07)
18. Clay Matthews, linebacker (Cleveland Browns, 1978-1993; Atlanta Falcons, 1994-96)
19. Kevin Mawae, center (Seattle Seahawks, 1994-97; New York Jets, 1998-2005; Tennessee Titans, 2006-09)
20. Karl Mecklenburg, linebacker (Denver Broncos, 1983-1994)
21. Terrell Owens, wide receiver (San Francisco 49ers, 1996-2003; Philadelphia Eagles, 2004-05; Dallas Cowboys, 2006-08; Buffalo Bills, 2009; Cincinnati Bengals, 2010)
22. Jason Taylor, defensive end (Miami Dolphins, 1997-2007, '09, 2011; Washington Redskins, 2008; New York Jets, 2010)
23. LaDainian, Tomlinson, running back (San Diego Chargers, 2001-09; New York Jets, 2010-11)
24. Hines Ward, wide receiver (Pittsburgh Steelers, 1998-2011)
25. Kurt Warner, quarterback (St. Louis Rams, 1998-2003; New York Giants, 2004; Arizona Cardinals, 2005-09)
26. Darren Woodson, safety (Dallas Cowboys, 1992-2003)

Huh?

I don't think ESPN's calculator is working.
lol, it was a partial listing he posted. here's the full list. calculator is working fine.

Terrell Davis    6%
LaDainian Tomlinson    6%
Kurt Warner    6%
Steve Atwater    5%
Isaac Bruce    5%
Brian Dawkins    5%
Jimmy Johnson    5%
John Lynch    5%
Terell Owens    5%
Jason Taylor    5%
Hines Ward    5%
Morten Andersen    4%
Torry Holt    4%
Edgerrin James    4%
Ty Law    4%
Darren Woodson    4%
Roger Craig    3%
Alan Faneca    3%
Clay Matthews    3%
Tony Boselli    2%
Don Coryell    2%
Joe Jacoby    2%
Kevin Mawae    2%
Karl Mecklenburg    2%
Chris Hinton    1%
Mike Kenn    1%

5th kicker?

Stenerud, George Blanda, Lou Groza and Ray Guy - so third kicker only guy (Blanda QB, Groza T.)

They voted a kicker over TO
Absurd. In a 25-year career. Andersen led the league in field goals once, and in field goal percentage once. Talk about a compiler. And as a kicker you shouldn't even get much credit for longevity.

Internationally born NFL players in the HoF:

1. Canada - Bronko Nagurski, Arnie Weinmeister
  2. Germany - Ernie Stautner
  3. Guatemala - Ted Hendricks
  4. Honduras - Steve Van Buren
  5. Italy - Leo Nomellini
  6. Mexico - Tom Fears
  7. Norway - Jan Stenerud
  8. Sweeden - Morten Andersen

Andersen was All-Pro 3 times, made 7 Pro Bowls, and was on the Pro Football HoF All-Decade team twice - 1980s and 1990s. All-time leader in games and scoring, only guy who is the all-time leading scorer for two teams.

Definitely not the first guy I would think of if we ever had a discussion about all-time greatest kickers. Why would we have that discussion? But he was pretty solid. Just not a guy that jumps off the page like "oh that guy? no doubt about it, he's a hall of famer." 

Randy Moss is first-year eligible for the HOF next year.    Makes things much harder for a 2018 Bid for Owens.   

Kenny Easley and Terrell Davis were long overdue.   

So looks like people are blaming Morten Anderson for TO not getting into the HOF.
No, we're blaming clueless voters for Morten Anderson getting into the HOF. TO partially hurt his own case, though it's silly that he's not in already. 

I thought Lynch would make it.  Not surprising Dawkins didn't - I'm a huge fan, but didn't think he was a first ballot.  Was hoping he could make it next year, but Lynch getting snubbed hurts next year too.  TO shoulda made it as well.  Maybe they make Moss wait a year - he had his share of bouncing around the league too.

So what? He's played in 382 games. 
Well nobody but Vinatieri is close to that game winning kick number and lots of kickers have had long careers.  I don't necessarily agree with the selection but I don't think it's totally fair to call Andersen a compiler.  He was All-pro three times and made 7 pro bowls. At age 47(!) he was 25/28 on FG's and 24/24 on xp's.  I don't know, maybe there should be exceptions for extreme compiling.  

I thought Lynch would make it.  Not surprising Dawkins didn't - I'm a huge fan, but didn't think he was a first ballot.  Was hoping he could make it next year, but Lynch getting snubbed hurts next year too.  TO shoulda made it as well.  Maybe they make Moss wait a year - he had his share of bouncing around the league too.
I don't understand the whole making a player wait a year nonsense.  Either a guy is a HoF player or he's not.

I think lynch gets it next year. He's been waiting a while and after Moss/Lewis there should be room. 

I don't understand the whole making a player wait a year nonsense.  Either a guy is a HoF player or he's not.
For whatever reason, the media makes a big deal out of players who were "first ballot hall of famers."   This has created a two-tier public impression of the HoF, which voters have bought into.  It's clear many voters consider it a "special honor" to vote someone in in the first year of eligibility, so they reserve that for generational takents.

Don't like it, but it is what it has become.

If it was a different process, maybe.  But with a limited number each time, you kinda have to be judicious about who and when they get in.  Not like they can say 'F it, 20 people all in this year, you're all awesome"

Pretty big fan of this year's HOF class. usually every year there are 2-3 guys I feel aren't worthy, this year, the only guy I'd make an argument against is Warner. In Warner's case, I just think there are WAY too many QBs in the HOF already, and Warner basically had 2 great years in 99' and 01', then 5 mediocre to bad years, followed a couple decent to good years from 07' to 09'. Then again, those great years were both MVP years. 

Andersen is tricky, he's the greatest kicker of all time in my opinion, so if kickers go in, he's the guy who should be at the top of the list. 

Great to see Easley and Davis in there. Those guys were either the best or 2nd best players at their positions for almost their entire careers. Just because they didn't play for over a decade shouldn't have mattered as much as it did. How somebody like Curtis Martin got in before Davis I'll never know. They were drafted together, and Martin was never the better player until Davis was essentially out of the league.

Tomlinson and Taylor were no brainers. 

I'd have liked to see Alan Faneca make it. He was a better player than Will Shields in my opinion. 

Owens will get in, I feel like sometimes they like to make controversial players wait for whatever reason, they did the same thing with Marvin Harrison, and likely will with Moss too.  I also think Mawae and Boselli are just a matter of time. 

I love Steve Atwater, but I think Dawkins is clearly ahead of him, and Darren Woodson probably is too. Lynch is 50-50, but seems more likely since his name is more in the public eye. Among former Broncos, I think Mecklenburg is probably a better bet than Atwater.

Users who are viewing this thread