What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Self-help book recommendation? (1 Viewer)

E-Z Glider

Footballguy
Every couple of years I like to read one of these things to keep things in perspective. Not looking for anything super-deep or life-altering, just a friendly reminder to stop and smell the roses, not take things for granted, live in the moment, etc.

Whatcha got?  :popcorn:

How to Win Friends and Influence People - Kind of the holy grail for self help books imo (but I'm more along the lines of you in that it's something I look at every couple of years).  Good chance you've heard of or read this one before.

Influence - maybe a bit too science-y to be 'self-help', but I like science-y

Mate - Have not actually read this one yet but it's on my shelf for when I have some whitespace.  Author is Tucker Max, the guy who wrote the 'I hope the serve beer in hell' books.  He's now married with a kid and blogs about entrepreneurship, among other things.  Needless to say, he has pivoted from the Fratire genre.  

How to Win Friends and Influence People - Kind of the holy grail for self help books imo (but I'm more along the lines of you in that it's something I look at every couple of years).  Good chance you've heard of or read this one before.

Influence - maybe a bit too science-y to be 'self-help', but I like science-y

Mate - Have not actually read this one yet but it's on my shelf for when I have some whitespace.  Author is Tucker Max, the guy who wrote the 'I hope the serve beer in hell' books.  He's now married with a kid and blogs about entrepreneurship, among other things.  Needless to say, he has pivoted from the Fratire genre.  
Time to give the first book another read through.

Maybe not exactly what you have in mind, but I've been reading Waking Up by Sam Harris and I think it's fantastic. (It's actually very similar to Robert Wright's course at Coursera, "Buddhism and Modern Psychology," which I also highly recommend.)

The key to being a better, happier person is not just to do a bunch of preparatory stuff now that will ultimately prove satisfying down the road (since satisfaction is always disappointingly fleeting as we quickly move on to our next set of goals). It largely consists of being a better, happier person in each present moment, right now, from one second to the next. There are some tricks to this (which require practice).

Plus there's a bunch of fascinating stuff on the nature of consciousness, funny observations from split-brain experiments, etc.

May I make a wholly unbiased recommendation of this book:yes:

Granted, it's not "self-help" (it's actually fiction), but it has a life-affirming message about happiness.

I'd also recommend this one...but it's more "survive this" than "happy that".  :shock:

Again, totally unbiased. No personal stake in this at all...  :whistle:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

(Warning: might be super deep and life altering.)
a few things first it is to bad that they start in minny instead of scanny second they call the deep talks chataquas and in bayfield wi there is a place called big top chataqua that is a theater that does not have anyting to do with the price of milk in china but i just know that stuff and wanted to share a little knowledge in your ear take that to teh bank bromigos 

Self hypnosis by Leslie LeCron. 

The beauty of this book is it attempts to help/work out the underlying issues preventing you from becoming who you want to be.

I got 4: 

"Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. Very famous book. Frankl was a psychiatrist who was a Jew in Austria during WWII. He discusses his time in a concentration camp from his perspective of a psychiatrist. The best book I've ever read. Incredibly significant. Not very long either.

"A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle. This one is pretty deep but is a fascinating read. He discusses the growing role of the ego in this world and how we must detach from our ego. Very deep though. I haven't read his other book "The Power of Now" yet, but I've heard that one is pretty good too. 

Third is  "Letting Go: The Pathway of Surrender" by David Hawkins. Hawkins was a psychiatrist himself. Honestly, despite the deep nature of the topic, I didn't find it to be a difficult read. He explains his methods and beliefs quite well. It is a long one, I believe over 400 pages. 

Last one is "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins. He's been on the Joe Rogan podcast a few times. Incredibly inspirational story of a guy who is just an absolute beast. Dealt with child abuse and racism growing up. Was well over 300 lbs and wanted to become a Navy SEAL. Had to lose a ton of weight. Crazy marathon and ultra marathon runner. Goggins has redefined the term "mental toughness" in my view. Couldn't put this one down when I read it. 

Last one is "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins. He's been on the Joe Rogan podcast a few times. Incredibly inspirational story of a guy who is just an absolute beast. Dealt with child abuse and racism growing up. Was well over 300 lbs and wanted to become a Navy SEAL. Had to lose a ton of weight. Crazy marathon and ultra marathon runner. Goggins has redefined the term "mental toughness" in my view. Couldn't put this one down when I read it. 
This is an enthralling book, and it's possibly the only book I'd recommend in audio format over print. The audiobook is read by the ghostwriter, and every so often he pauses and just chats with Goggins about the material as if it were a podast. It's a fun format. I generally dislike audiobooks, but I feel lucky that that's how I consumed this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 4: 

"Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. Very famous book. Frankl was a psychiatrist who was a Jew in Austria during WWII. He discusses his time in a concentration camp from his perspective of a psychiatrist. The best book I've ever read. Incredibly significant. Not very long either.

"A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle. This one is pretty deep but is a fascinating read. He discusses the growing role of the ego in this world and how we must detach from our ego. Very deep though. I haven't read his other book "The Power of Now" yet, but I've heard that one is pretty good too. 

Third is  "Letting Go: The Pathway of Surrender" by David Hawkins. Hawkins was a psychiatrist himself. Honestly, despite the deep nature of the topic, I didn't find it to be a difficult read. He explains his methods and beliefs quite well. It is a long one, I believe over 400 pages. 

I just read “Can’t Hurt Me”. Enjoyed this.

Definitely makes you question your workout regimen :lol:  

Heard about Goggins in this book Living With a Seal it’s mentioned a bit in “Can’t Hurt Me”. Had  some really funny parts. Recommended.

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - by Steven Covey 

Heard/saw this video awhile back and bookmarked it.

How to Have a Good Conversation | Celeste Headlee | TEDxCreativeCoast

When your job hinges on how well you talk to people, you learn a lot about how to have great conversations – and most of us don’t converse very well. A great conversation requires a balance between talking and listening. This balance is important because bad communication leads to bad relationships, at home, at work, everywhere.

Had a good prof in college who stressed the importance of listening and he would give entire lectures and assign homework on listening.  I used it a lot but tend to stray so seeing/hearing this video helps to reinforce one of the best habits a person can hone.  You'll see the positive payback if you become a power-listener.  

The 4 Agreements
This would be my number 1 until the publication of The 5th Agreement which has the 1st  4 agreements and adds the 5th, Be Skeptical, agreement. For me, trying to not take things personally does more to keep my head straight than anything else. Last month I gave a copy of The 5th Agreement to my son for his birthday. Like most of these books I think would probably be just as effective with 20% fewer words.

May I make a wholly unbiased recommendation of this book:yes:

Granted, it's not "self-help" (it's actually fiction), but it has a life-affirming message about happiness.

I'd also recommend this one...but it's more "survive this" than "happy that".  :shock:

Again, totally unbiased. No personal stake in this at all...  :whistle:
Why be coy?  just say the names of the book rather than put a link? 

This is more from a career perspective, but i really enjoyed Robert Igers memoire.  That guy has had one hell of a career.  Knew little about him prior to the book and im not one to admire others but he'd be in my top 10 if i had one.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read “Can’t Hurt Me”. Enjoyed this.

Definitely makes you question your workout regimen :lol:  

Heard about Goggins in this book Living With a Seal it’s mentioned a bit in “Can’t Hurt Me”. Had  some really funny parts. Recommended.
Yep. Goggins is an absolute beast. The pullup record is insane. Never read Itzler's book but heard him on the Rogan podcast talking about living with Goggins. Funny stuff for sure.

Yep. Goggins is an absolute beast. The pullup record is insane. Never read Itzler's book but heard him on the Rogan podcast talking about living with Goggins. Funny stuff for sure.
Reading the Itzler book I legit laughed out loud a few times. A bit repetitive but definitely worth reading. 

Users who are viewing this thread