What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sad news, John Saunders, ESPN anchor dead at 61 (1 Viewer)

Wow crazy, definitely liked watching him on Sports Reporters. Was he sick or was this something sudden?

He loved hockey and it's too bad ESPN didn't. I was always surprised he didn't leave for NBC or NHL.

RIP.

Yah Sports Reporters is still part of my Sunday morning routine before the games begin. Will be strange to watch this year.

Damn, I always respected his opinion, & would watch Sports Reporters mainly because of him.  Level-headed always, even when he had a strong opinion.  "Fair & balanced"... he was a throwback; as opposed to modern media .  Bob Ryan next?

Damn, I always respected his opinion, & would watch Sports Reporters mainly because of him.  Level-headed always, even when he had a strong opinion.  "Fair & balanced"... he was a throwback; as opposed to modern media .  Bob Ryan next?

Bob Ley is the last of the level headed, no schtick at Bristol. 

You never heard any fan complain about him. Why? Because the guy was :moneybag:  

This is a huge loss for sports fans, very sad. 

Wow crazy, definitely liked watching him on Sports Reporters. Was he sick or was this something sudden?
A lot of people around ESPN seem pretty blindsided by it so I would guess it's the latter unless it was something he kept well hidden.

Echoing others who said he seemed like a legitimately good guy. RIP. 

You never heard any fan complain about him. Why? Because the guy was :moneybag:  

This is a huge loss for sports fans, very sad. 
Just blended in and did his job very well.  Unlike other ESPN anchors it never seemed to be about him...just the stories he was reporting.

This is really sad news. Great reporter in the classic reporter fashion. Helped make ESPN, the real ESPN, what it is. RIP, thanks for the calls, John.

Uruk-Hai said:
One of the good ones. I remember him on channel 2 in Baltimore back in the early 80s.
I think he was still there when I came to MD in the mid-80s. Solid guy. He'll be missed.

Possible suicide as Saunders just wrote this.

Saunders “confesses about his constant battle with depression and how it nearly cost him his life.” The book, “welcomes readers into the heart of his desperate struggle against depression: from insights into the illness’s root causes to the nature of modern treatments, from both a medical and cultural perspective. His story unfolds as so many of our lives do – among family, friends and colleagues – but it also peers into places we don’t often discuss openly – psych wards and hospitals. Here is the honest story of a public figure facing his own mental illness head on.

Really sad to hear this.  I loved the sports reporters because of him.  He never injected himself into a topic unlike so many others.

Possible suicide as Saunders just wrote this.

Saunders “confesses about his constant battle with depression and how it nearly cost him his life.” The book, “welcomes readers into the heart of his desperate struggle against depression: from insights into the illness’s root causes to the nature of modern treatments, from both a medical and cultural perspective. His story unfolds as so many of our lives do – among family, friends and colleagues – but it also peers into places we don’t often discuss openly – psych wards and hospitals. Here is the honest story of a public figure facing his own mental illness head on.
Yeah, if it's suicide that's not going to be reported.

Users who are viewing this thread