What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank Your Top 3 Restaurants in $ Spent in Your Lifetime (1 Viewer)

russinfortworth

Footballguy
50 year old w/ 2 boys. 1 in college and 1 starting 7th grade.  

Last night at dinner we were all discussing how much we go out to eat, and it got me and the wife thinking..........where have we spent the most $ on food/drink?

We came up with the following:

Buffalo Wild Wings (there used to be one 3 blocks from where we lived.  Kids and I would walk there and watch games and dad would have a beer or 2).

Hooters (from when I was younger and went once a week at least with different sets of friends)

McDonald's (just from the convenience/sheer number of times).

Well, I'd have to think of #'s 2 and 3.  #1 is definitely my local Chinese food spot.  When I call in and order, they immediately say "Ahhhhh, Mister "Deepster"!"

(*Sub my first name instead of Deepster)

Qdoba: That's one of my go to places(along with Chik-fil-a) and I often drag my son there with me.  We had a ritual for a few years where he and I would hit Qdoba for dinner after our weekly boy scout meeting.  Good times And good food.  Their queso is awesome.

KFC/Popeye's- whichever one is closest to where we are when we're looking to eat.

Dunkin Donuts

1 cheesecake factory.   Many family celebrations there.  Always good. 

2 goodwood bbq. Great ribs, great service

3 El Torito.  Go to place when kids were young 

italian place I ate at 2-3x week in college

sushi place we've been ordering from and eating in for pretty much a decade now... the kids love it.

burrito place near my HS.

Wawa is probably #1 if it counts. Even if I just limit it to the subs, excluding drinks and all other food, it would probably stay in the top 3. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dinner for 6 at French Laundry the day after I married my wife.  We treated friends who were a huge help in wedding planning.

Total bill including wine: North of $2,100

That one meal probably beats my cumulative amount at any other restaurant.

If we're going adult lifetime, #1 is McDonalds easy.  Between high school, college, wife loves McDonalds as well, so we've gotten it far too much when just the two of us are eating, we need a quick meal with the kids, or we're on a road trip and want something familiar away from home.

I might guess that #2 is Taco Bell.  I probably averaged three trips a week from the day I got my drivers licence, until I started college.  Still ate it consistently all throughout.

No idea on #3.  I would think pizza, but I haven't been overly loyal to any one place and like to mix it up.  As much as I would wish it was a decent restaurant to bring some class to my list, it would probably be another fast food joint.

Scoresman said:
Dinner for 6 at French Laundry the day after I married my wife.  We treated friends who were a huge help in wedding planning.

same guy has Per Se in NYC... pretty much the same result for me.

there's another place (Bouley) that was our go-to "special occasion" spot where each meal was 3-400... put a bunch of those together and maybe that place.

McDonald's 

Chilis (worked there for 3 years)

number 3 is hard.  Mexican restaurants as a whole are probably the winner, but it's split up between like 10 different ones.

May have to go Taco Bell 

Subway - worked there in high school and ate there pretty much every day

Chilis - worked there my entire time in college - so ate there pretty much every day.

3rd would probably be Cinco Amigo where I went to college.  Pretty much 90% of the money spent there was on Margaritas or Dos Equis.  My wife and I went just about every day before our shift at Chilis started and had a few drinks before going into work.

Fogo de Chao by a mile. Approx five years after I left Brazil one of the waiters at Fogo de Chao in New York recognized me from the place I used to go in Sao Paulo :bag:

RUSF18 said:
Wawa is probably #1 if it counts. Even if I just limit it to the subs, excluding drinks and all other food, it would probably stay in the top 3. 
This.

Feel bad for you poor SOB's who don't live near a WaWa.

Probably Domino's pizza.  We grew up in Michigan, every Friday night was pizza night.  Most often we'd walk to Little Caesar's but occasionally Dominos, on special occasion we'd get Pizza Hut.  We kept the tradition with our kids and the most common places are Domino's and Papa John's, occasionally we'll spring for Marco's. 

Other than those, McDonald's as I grew up about 100 feet from one and we went there way too often.  Taco Bell might be close, and then there's Chi-Chi's where we'd go for special occasions.

In November 2003, a month after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, Chi-Chi's was hit with the largest hepatitis A outbreak in U.S. history, with at least four deaths and 660 other victims of illness in the Pittsburgh area,[7] including high school students who caught the disease from the original victims.[8] The hepatitis was traced back to green onions at the Chi-Chi's at Beaver Valley Mall near Monaca, Pennsylvania, about 30 miles (48 km) northwest of Pittsburgh.[9] Chi-Chi's settled the hepatitis A lawsuits by July 2004.[10] At the time the suits were settled, Chi-Chi's already had only 65 restaurants, less than half of the number from only four years before.[11]
:X  

:yes:   :X  

we rarely eat fast food (other than pizza) now but we didn't have healthy habits growing up. 

plus, when we go out to eat we try different local places, but those won't ever add up to top 3 over our lifetime.
i assume you've been to chuckwagon, everything else local isn't as good.

1) Wendy's

2) McDonald's

3) Pepe's Pizzeria - New Haven 

It's probably pretty obvious which of the three is the best. Pepe's is a warm slice of heaven on a fall day in CT.  

McDonald's by far as the #1.  When I was growing up, it was the only fast food place that we could ride our bike to without crossing a highway or major busy street.  In the last 2 decades, I've maybe eaten there twice a year at most, but loved it when I was a kid.

#2 is probably Chipotle, probably eat there every other week for lunch at work.

No idea on #3, probably either Dominos or Taco Bell (both again from when I was younger).

I just don't go out to eat frequently enough anymore.

oh, i gotcha.  one of the bartenders was a friend of a friend,so never had to spend much.  he used to make me pay for the 1st beer, all beers after that were free, and charged me $1/shot so long as it wasn't anything dumb or expensive.  tip well at the end of the night.  

Scoresman said:

Really? I always pictured you as a Chipotle guy. 

We've been going to our top two places for almost 20 years almost weekly.  We eat out way too much, but the amount of food places serve, we always share entrees between My wife and our 6 kids).

1.  Thai Express - 2 blocks from our house and has the best Pad Thai I've ever had

2.  Amol India- I love curry.

3.  Habaneros- Our favorite burrito place

I spend more money at the grocery store over the course of a year than I do at restaurants. I assume I'm in the minority here?

Just simply due to the multiple places I've lived and turnover of restaurants, I don't think there is  a non-national chain that could qualify.  And due to a lack of sophistication in my palette plus being cheap, fast food will easily top this list.

1. Taco Bell - been the most consistent place from HS, through college, to pre-kids and even now.  Probably haven't gone a month without at least one Taco Bell run in 20 years.

2.  McDonald's - I almost left them off, until I remembered the hundreds of times I ate breakfast there.  That plus the $1 Cokes keep them pretty close to Taco Bell.  I didn't eat there much in college, so it didn't get a good chunk of my prime fast food years which is probably why it isn't my #1.

3. Subway - my wife is not a fast food fan so this is the only quick & cheap place she likes to eat and she's OK with the kids eating it.  Didn't go a ton before getting married, but it's been a staple since then.

I spend more money at the grocery store over the course of a year than I do at restaurants. I assume I'm in the minority here?
This is all about restaurants, so no, I'm sure I eat 3-4xs as much food from the grocery store as I do going out to eat....budgets and all that.

Interesting question.  I gotta think.  Hard to calculate how much I've spent at crappy fast food places.  

1. Local Thai restaurant near my old office.  Went there at least 2x/week for about two years because it was far and away the best place to get lunch for under 12 bucks or so.  Wasn't crazy expensive, but I think I've spent a lot there over time. I still go there when I can and the owner/server hasn't brought me an actual menu in like six years. 

2.  Four Peaks (Tempe).  This is more on hope than anything, because I love this place.  Lived within walking distance for a year and still go quite a bit.  

3.  McDonald's.  Unfortunately, over the last 17 years or so of when I've had a license and spending money, this was probably the fast food place I most frequented and there's no other restaurant that I've gone to which comes close to the first two on my list so, probably, McDonald's falls in the top three. 

We've been going to our top two places for almost 20 years almost weekly.  We eat out way too much, but the amount of food places serve, we always share entrees between My wife and our 6 kids).

1.  Thai Express - 2 blocks from our house and has the best Pad Thai I've ever had

2.  Amol India- I love curry.

3.  Habaneros- Our favorite burrito place
All of these sound delicious. 

I don't know if this "counts," but since I paid for my own college and the college meal plan was like $3500/semester or year or whatever and I generally ate at the same place (rotating menu cooked by monks who cared so it was pretty decent), I guess, technically, that would be my max. 

This is all about restaurants, so no, I'm sure I eat 3-4xs as much food from the grocery store as I do going out to eat....budgets and all that.
I said "spend more money at"... not "eat more food from"... I'm sure there are other people that do, just guessing that its the minority. 

I said "spend more money at"... not "eat more food from"... I'm sure there are other people that do, just guessing that its the minority. 
People would be surprised at how close the numbers actually are.  The grocery store isn't all that cheap either.

I've moved around too much for a single location establishment to compete with a chain. If we're talking one location of a chain, definitely a local spot would compete. 

RUSF18 said:
This should be a stock answer for anyone living within Wawa areas. Same goes for Sheetz.

Users who are viewing this thread