What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Malcolm Mitchell Thread (1 Viewer)

So where are people seeing Mitchell go in mocks or dynasty startup drafts? I'd say high WR3 or a little more?
I really like Mitchell going forward, i think NE may have finally drafted a decent WR after so many busts.

Here is a mock from January, my guess would be he likely moves up a bit after peformaing well in the SB

http://www67.myfantasyleague.com/2016/options?L=64264&O=17

Pick 4

Marshall, Brandon NYJ WR

Wed Jan 11 9:23:12 p.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 5

Rawls, Thomas SEA RB

Wed Jan 11 10:05:56 p.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 6

Dixon, Kenneth BAL RB

Wed Jan 11 10:12:34 p.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 7

Boyd, Tyler CIN WR

Thu Jan 12 12:20:20 a.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 8

Riddick, Theo DET RB

Thu Jan 12 12:20:21 a.m. ET 2017

-

Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

Pick 9

Abdullah, Ameer DET RB

Thu Jan 12 12:20:21 a.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 10

Mitchell, Malcolm NEP WR

Thu Jan 12 6:41:09 a.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 11

Lee, Marqise JAC WR

Thu Jan 12 6:41:10 a.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 12

Lewis, Dion NEP RB

Thu Jan 12 9:49:36 a.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 12

Powell, Bilal NYJ RB

Thu Jan 12 9:49:52 a.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 11

Henry, Hunter SDC TE

Thu Jan 12 9:49:53 a.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 10

Hill, Jeremy CIN RB

Thu Jan 12 9:52:53 a.m. ET 2017

-

Pick 9

Crowell, Isaiah CLE RB

Thu Jan 12 9:52:54 a.m. ET 2017

-

Any Pats fans know how close to 100% Mitchell (elbow?) was this season?
I know the inj looked really bad and he kept wearing the brace, but I don't think the elbow was much of an issue by the end of the year. He hurt his knee and thats what kept him sidelined at the end of the year.

I personally would much rather have Mitchell then Boyd. 
Agreed.  Not surprised to see Mitchell back in the 7th round given how unproven he remains.  But even in limited time and hurt, he showed a lot more than Boyd ever did.

Of course, all it takes in a particular draft is for one owner to be unusually high on a player...

I know the inj looked really bad and he kept wearing the brace, but I don't think the elbow was much of an issue by the end of the year. He hurt his knee and thats what kept him sidelined at the end of the year.
The elbow likely meant that the Pats didn't design any plays for him early on. Mitchell looked great during the second half and came up big in the super bowl. I'm hoping he's Deion Branch 2.0

What I saw out of Mitchell when he was playing was someone who could be a really good NFL WR, but as always with New England, it all comes down to usage and targets.  I see no reason he can't be their number 2 WR next season behind Edelman, with Hogan being more the guy whose targets fluctuate from week to week based on match-ups. 

Last edited by a moderator:
PPR Dynasty I'm currently drafting, he went 7.7 as WR42.

Williams, Tyrell SDC WR

Fri Feb 10 2:26:16 p.m. CT 2017

-

Prescott, Dak DAL QB (R) 

Fri Feb 10 2:26:53 p.m. CT 2017

-

Winston, Jameis TBB QB

Fri Feb 10 2:30:09 p.m. CT 2017

-

Decker, Eric NYJ WR

Fri Feb 10 2:30:10 p.m. CT 2017

-

Pick made based on Pre-Draft List . 

Bryant, Martavis PIT WR

-

Walker, Delanie TEN TE

-

Pick made based on Pre-Draft List . 

Cobb, Randall GBP WR

Fri Feb 10 4:02:43 p.m. CT 2017

-

Mitchell, Malcolm NEP WR (R) 

Fri Feb 10 4:02:44 p.m. CT 2017

-

Newton, Cam CAR QB

Fri Feb 10 4:02:44 p.m. CT 2017

-

Perkins, Paul NYG RB (R) 

Fri Feb 10 4:19:43 p.m. CT 2017

-

Ryan, Matt ATL QB

Fri Feb 10 4:19:44 p.m. CT 2017

-

Crowder, Jamison WAS WR

Fri Feb 10 11:17:17 p.m. CT 2017

-

Dixon, Kenneth BAL RB (R) 

Sat Feb 11 12:24:45 a.m. CT 2017

-

Funchess, Devin CAR WR

Sat Feb 11 12:25:53 a.m. CT 2017

-

Stafford, Matthew DET QB

Sat Feb 11 7:20:15 a.m. CT 2017

-

jacobo_moses said:
What size of league? Like a 16 team league? Late or what? 
My 10 team PPR league.  I'd be perfectly happy letting him sit on my roster and not use him if he doesn't improve on this past season, but he's shown good hands and other abilities and being used more as the season progressed so no point in selling low.  My thoughts are if you liked what you saw you have to pay because I liked it too. 

I see it as a good thing.  He isn't a speed guy with more of an underneath and possession style, so taking the roof off the defense only helps him.  
Thinking with Hogan, Edelman, Gronk, and now Cooks, MMs time on the field may be a bit limited.

I feel like Edelman is praised for being a comfort blanket when he's been average at best with 2 great years.  My hope is Edelman is replaceable just like everyone else that's ever come through the Foxborough doors (other than Brady and Gronk).  Hogan takes a huge hit, and then I think it's a fight between Edelman (30) and Mitchell (23) for the other pieces of the pie.  Cooks will get his and so will Gronk obviously.  But after that it's a crapshoot, and I'm leaning towards the rookie who showed promise rather than the older vet who's been good for 3 out of the 7 years in the league.  

I feel like Edelman is praised for being a comfort blanket when he's been average at best with 2 great years.  My hope is Edelman is replaceable just like everyone else that's ever come through the Foxborough doors (other than Brady and Gronk).  Hogan takes a huge hit, and then I think it's a fight between Edelman (30) and Mitchell (23) for the other pieces of the pie.  Cooks will get his and so will Gronk obviously.  But after that it's a crapshoot, and I'm leaning towards the rookie who showed promise rather than the older vet who's been good for 3 out of the 7 years in the league.  
Edelman has averaged 9.7 targets, 6.5 receptions, 70 yards, and 0.36 TD per game since taking over the starting job after Welker left. That works out to an average of 155 targets, 109 receptions, 1120 receiving yards, and 6 TD over 16 games. Edelman's numbers look a lot lower because he's missed a lot of time. Edelman definitely has benefited to injuries to other receivers / targets, but heisstill a fixture in the NE offense.

Edelman does things and has things going for him that Mitchell as yet does not. Brady looks to Edelman a ton and he runs every route under the sun. More importantly, Brady trusts Edelman more than any other receiving option on the team, even more than Gronk. None of those apply to Mitchell. This could be Edelman's last season in NE, but your rationale and breakdown seems out of line with what the Pats do. Edelman will still get his . . . Mitchell is WAY down the food chain.

It's probably safe to say that Cooks and Edelman will be on the field the most and Mitchell and Hogan will be in on multi-receiver sets. Put another way, they aren't taking Edelman off the field in favor of Mitchell. In fact, I would guess Hogan is the guy on 3 WR sets and Mitchell would be added on 4 WR sets. Mitchell definitely loses out with the addition of Cooks. 

According to ESPN's Mike Reiss, Malcolm Mitchell "was kept on the sidelines" throughout spring practices.

The Patriots are cognizant of Mitchell's extensive injury history and wanted to keep him out of harm's way by limiting his reps this offseason. Mitchell promised he'll be a full go for training camp. Mitchell showed potential by snagging 32 catches for 401 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie last year, but there are too many mouths to feed in New England for him to have any real redraft value.

Source: ESPN.com

Jun 18 - 8:43 AM

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 16m16 minutes ago

Source:

The #Patriots are placing WR Malcolm Mitchell on Injured Reserve.

Malcolm Mitchell quietly moves up the depth chart:

Marcus Mosher‏ @Marcus_Mosher Mar 13

#Patriots Current WR Depth Chart:

Brandin Cooks

Julian Edelman

Chris Hogan

Malcom Mitchell

Kenny Britt

Phillip Dorsett

Matthew Slater

Brandin Cooks

Julian Edelman

Chris Hogan

Malcom Mitchell

Kenny Britt

Phillip Dorsett

Matthew Slater
Interesting year coming up for the passing game in NE.  Edleman will be 32, coming off a major injury, and has other injury history (right?).  Hogan hasn't been the picture of health, hasn't ever topped 41 catches, and will be 31.  Britt is, well....Britt.  Same with Dorsett.

Seems like a real opportunity for Mitchell this year.  Of course, the draft could throw that out the window.

Those of you in the know, what are your thoughts on the Pats drafting one of the top WRs in the first 2 rounds?

Brandin Cooks

Julian Edelman

Chris Hogan

Malcom Mitchell

Kenny Britt

Phillip Dorsett

Matthew Slater
Maybe. Mitchell on paper may be up to 4th. I think Britt moves up to 4th. We won't know for a long time. Mitchell hasn't been able to got on the field in over a year. No idea what his outlook is at this point. Said to be a chronic knee issue dating back to his college days. Maybe it gets better, maybe it doesn't, maybe it gets worse. He said at the end of February that he felt great . . . yet he couldn't get activated for the Super Bowl a few weeks earlier. Color me a little skeptical. With every NE off season, a lot can change between now and Week 1.

I will somewhat echo what Anarchy said, its all about Mitchells chronic knee issue. Were he healthy he could well become the #3 and even future 2 (imho) but the fact he never got on the field last year makes me skeptical he ever will (at least for NE). Its too bad, I really like him a lot but his knee doesn't seem to want to cooperate. As for drafting a top wr in the first couple of rounds anything is possible but they have a lot of holes to fill and I would be very surprised if they did. I could see them taking one later in the draft with an eye toward 2019 when Cooks will likely be gone, Edelman a yr older and who knows with Mitchell.

How positively do we see the Cooks trade affecting his stock? Certainly seems like a good indicator that they think he will be healthy and ready to go in 2018. While obviously not an elite talent, I think the next 1-2 years with Brady he could put up reasonable WR2 type numbers.

How positively do we see the Cooks trade affecting his stock? Certainly seems like a good indicator that they think he will be healthy and ready to go in 2018. While obviously not an elite talent, I think the next 1-2 years with Brady he could put up reasonable WR2 type numbers.
I’m not getting too excited. With Edelman and gronk there at least next year I think the rest of the work gets distributed. I’m not sure but I think the cooks trade was after the Edelman injury. Mitchell/hogan will be the option 3/4 on the team. I don’t know what they’ll do come draft time but you could argue that they take a wr in the 1st or 2nd. I personally wouldn’t move a pick in the first 2 rounds for him. 

Last WR they drafted that amounted to anything was Edelman in 2009 and before that was Deion Branch in 2002. Low odds Mitchell does, but they are due to have one they drafted pan out.

Last WR they drafted that amounted to anything was Edelman in 2009 and before that was Deion Branch in 2002. Low odds Mitchell does, but they are due to have one they drafted pan out.
The good news is he earned Brady's trust and seemed to figure out the offense which is usually the only thing that matters at the position with the Pats (and so many rookies and veterans in the past have not done)...if Brady doesn't trust you you have no chance and as you point out there is not a good track record with young WRs with the Pats...the bad news is the kid can not stay on the field...if he can he has a chance to be a pretty big piece of their offense...the question than becomes will it translate to fantasy success...

Didn't seem to help him before Cooks came to NE.

Didn't seem to help him before Cooks came to NE.
Actually it did...outside of Branch (and it is very close) he had the most impact of any rookie WR in the BB/Brady era...they also targeted him 7 times for 6 receptions in the Super Bowl which is a huge statement...the kid's issue is staying on the field...he has a lot to prove in that area...

Just noticed this -

From Matt Waldman's 2016 RSP:

8. Malcolm Mitchell, UGA (6-0, 198)
If the New England Patriots select a receiver in the
middle rounds of this draft, I won’t be surprised if it’s
Mitchell.    :bow:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Patriots are shopping third-year WR Malcolm Mitchell.

It's an indication Mitchell is on the wrong side of the roster bubble and likely wouldn't make the Patriots' 53 if cutdowns happened today. Per Pelissero's colleague Ian Rapoport, New England is "high" on Kenny Britt as their probable No. 3 receiver during Julian Edelman's four-game ban. Mitchell had a promising rookie campaign in 2016, but he missed all of last year with ongoing knee problems. Mitchell also had balky knees during his college career.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jul 23 - 4:06 PM

Malcolm Mitchell - WR -  Patriots

Patriots WR Malcolm Mitchell underwent a procedure on his knee on Monday.

Good luck with trading him. (NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported on Monday the Patriots are shopping Mitchell.) He hasn't been healthy in nearly two years, and reportedly could miss all of 2018, with the Providence Journal's Mark Daniels adding it's "also possible" Mitchell gets released by the Patriots with an injury settlement at some point in the next few weeks. Mitchell flashed as a 2016 rookie but has long been battling knee problems going back to college.

Source: Mark Daniels on Twitter 

Jul 23 - 6:05 PM

stuckinthemuck said:
He's a truly good guy in real life who sparked great promise in the postseason a few years ago. What a shame. 
Real shame. Just when it looked like they actually drafted a good WR. Still, even if he never plays another down he has his ring and he stepped up big time on the biggest of stages. Wish him the best he's a great kid. 

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago

Clarity of #Patriots WR Malcolm Mitchell: He did have a procedure on his knee but not a surgery. It was more aimed at hoping to accelerate healing. As @TomPelissero reported, they’ve been trying to trade him. It’s clear NE is poised to move on from the player & his health issues.

Users who are viewing this thread