What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need to add 2 DEs to my roster (1 Viewer)

Conanthecontrarian

Footballguy
14 team dynasty league with standard scoring. I took over a team that needs to start 2 DEs, but currently has none on the roster.

My waiver options are as follows, which two would you grab?

Robert Ayers Jr

Connor Barwin

Vinny Curry

Mario Edwards

Dante Fowler Jr

Brandon Graham

William Hayes

Danielle Hunter

Devin Taylor

Mario Williams

Derek Wolfe

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough question in a vacuum.  Really different options here.  I would probably go for the maximum upside because you are already behind the 8 ball.  That being said I would rank this way:

1. Curry/Graham:  Pick the one you have most confidence in.  They should both have a shot at putting up really good sack numbers so go with the one you like best.  I would lean towards Graham because I have been brainwashed for the past few years that if he was just used right he would be a stud.
  2. Fowler:  All reports out of camp is that he is dominating.  I think he has something to prove and Jax defense should be much improved.
  3. Mario Williams:  I just have a gut feel that he has one more good year with something to prove after last year.  He is in a good spot and should be near double digit sacks.
  4. Hunter:  He was explosive last year and all accounts have him improving and getting more snaps this year.  I may be tainted as a Vikings fan.

Tough question in a vacuum.  Really different options here.  I would probably go for the maximum upside because you are already behind the 8 ball.  That being said I would rank this way:

1. Curry/Graham:  Pick the one you have most confidence in.  They should both have a shot at putting up really good sack numbers so go with the one you like best.  I would lean towards Graham because I have been brainwashed for the past few years that if he was just used right he would be a stud.
  2. Fowler:  All reports out of camp is that he is dominating.  I think he has something to prove and Jax defense should be much improved.
  3. Mario Williams:  I just have a gut feel that he has one more good year with something to prove after last year.  He is in a good spot and should be near double digit sacks.
  4. Hunter:  He was explosive last year and all accounts have him improving and getting more snaps this year.  I may be tainted as a Vikings fan.
Thanks for the response. What further information could I provide to make answering my question easier?

Thanks for the response. What further information could I provide to make answering my question easier?
Is it tackle heavy or big play heavy scoring?  Are you set to compete this year or are you trying to build for the future?  Do IDP players score in line with the offensive players or are they afterthoughts?  What is your philosophy on building a team?  Do you want upside and don't mind risk or are you more conservative and want safer players?  

Your best option might be to evaluate the other teams in your league and see if there are any teams with surplus DL that might be willing to trade.  All the guys you have listed have risks and would be hard to solely rely on as your DL.  They could get there but most are unproven and a few are on the back end (Mario Williams).

I actually think you pick up Graham, Fowler, and Mario Williams I think that is a nice mix (for what is available) and should be serviceable.  Although, I think Mario is going to have a good year and many are down on him based on last year.  I would also add Hunter but he is more speculative as he isn't going to get the snap count of the others.

Gally,

Solo tackles are 1.5 pts, Assists are 1 pt. Most other D Stats are 2 pts, except Sacks and Ints are 3 pts. So, I would say neither tackle heavy or big play for scoring. My team is set to compete now (finished 3rd last season).

IDPs (other than Watt) score like average offensive players, so they are kind of an afterthought. Watt put up about 250 pts last season, Mack put up 205 and the remainder of the top 25 DEs put up between 110 - 150 pts. My philosophy on building a team is to have a mix of solid veterans and youth which hasn't reached its full potential yet. 

With IDPs, I prefer steady scorers vs boom/bust guys. I've looked at acquiring guys via trade and this is a league where as soon as I express an interest in a player, I get told I am going to have to overpay to acquire that player. So, obviously they see me as the New Guy and somebody to take advantage of. So, for now, trading is not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gally,

Solo tackles are 1.5 pts, Assists are 1 pt. Most other D Stats are 2 pts, except Sacks and Ints are 3 pts. So, I would say neither tackle heavy or big play for scoring. My team is set to compete now (finished 3rd last season).

IDPs (other than Watt) score like average offensive players, so they are kind of an afterthought. Watt put up about 250 pts last season, Mack put up 205 and the remainder of the top 25 DEs put up between 110 - 150 pts. My philosophy on building a team is to have a mix of solid veterans and youth which hasn't reached its full potential yet

With IDPs, I prefer steady scorers vs boom/bust guys. I've looked at acquiring guys via trade and this is a league where as soon as I express an interest in a player, I get told I am going to have to overpay to acquire that player. So, obviously they see me as the New Guy and somebody to take advantage of. So, for now, trading is not an option.
Since that is what you prefer, I would go with the four I outlined but make sure you get Mario Williams for your solid veteran.  The other four/five guys are all high upside guys that haven't gotten there yet.

Users who are viewing this thread