What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bosa/Chargers Situation (2 Viewers)

Hankmoody said:
It's about the earning power of holding $17M for x amount of time.  1% of $17M is $170k.  If you think you can earn 2% over a 6 month period, well, do the math.
Yeah, but they were never $17 million apart on how much should be paid in 2016 (now plus December) versus early March. They were about $10 million apart at the outset, but that shrunk to about $1.5 million by the time things got really heated. Two percent of $1.5 million is ... well, it would be a big deal to me, but should be small potatoes to Bosa and the Chargers in the context of getting him into camp.

Many pundits called Bosa a reach, but independent scout Frank Coyle (I've been getting his annual reports for probably close to a decade) called him a top 3 overall talent, potential Pro Bowler, with the ability to play either end spot in an even or odd front and comped him with former SF 5 X All-Pro (2 X First-team, 3 X Second-team) Justin Smith.  

Also, one of two blue chip prospects at the DE position (with DeForest Buckner), and the Most Developed. 

Bosa highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HomlbrZz0do

2016 game plan: Mongo see QB, Mongo get QB.

I am now going to look forward to MT and JWB rebuttals which I'm sure will also be interesting. 
Not sure what you are expecting. I have made it clear umpteen times that I blame the Chargers for this fiasco. I also think Bosa was stupid, and those things are not mutually exclusive. Maybe for some reason you think I have been defending the Chargers because I have been posting more about Bosa lately, but that is incorrect. I hold the Chargers much more to blame for this whole fiasco.

Yeah, but they were never $17 million apart on how much should be paid in 2016 (now plus December) versus early March. They were about $10 million apart at the outset, but that shrunk to about $1.5 million by the time things got really heated. Two percent of $1.5 million is ... well, it would be a big deal to me, but should be small potatoes to Bosa and the Chargers in the context of getting him into camp.
Yeah, in the grand scheme it seems to me that while the offset language COULD be real money, the payout schedule is pretty much peanuts compared to the overall compensation.  I think that's why most teams cave on that pretty easily on that and stick harder to the offset language.  

I was going with 15% of 17M which is about 2.5M but I could be missing something.  But some more of that would have been paid  before the end of the following year, so we wouldn't really even be talking about 2% in "interest" more than likely.  Honestly I think it boils down mostly to principle.  People don't like getting less than they think they deserve or less than others in the same position have gotten.  I know it would rub me the wrong way.

Another thing I would like to note is that most of these guys haven't gotten where they are by being pushovers.  These are ultra-competitive people, and I don't think that personality trait is always isolated to the football field.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, that reputation has absolutely KILLED the Patriots.
Teams have reputations which can harm them, whether you want to believe it or not.  AL Davis Latter Year Raiders ring a bell?

The Patriots are a terrible comparison because their frugalness is more about letting young hungry players replace aging vets.  The Pats didn't have a long, public spat with their first round pick, while nickel and diming over some bonus money. The Pats do something every team does, and the players all know it's part of the game.  Also, and I suspect you might be aware of this little fact:  4 rings gets you a little bit of leeway.  

Whatever their reason for doing what they were doing, what the Chargers were trying to do was such a trifle as to be laughable.  That amount of money, in the players hands for that much longer an amount of time, means more to the player than to the team.  It's REAL money to him, it isn't to the Chargers. Well, it better not be, or they are in some real trouble.  

Teams have reputations which can harm them, whether you want to believe it or not.  AL Davis Latter Year Raiders ring a bell?

The Patriots are a terrible comparison because their frugalness is more about letting young hungry players replace aging vets.  The Pats didn't have a long, public spat with their first round pick, while nickel and diming over some bonus money. The Pats do something every team does, and the players all know it's part of the game.  Also, and I suspect you might be aware of this little fact:  4 rings gets you a little bit of leeway.  

Whatever their reason for doing what they were doing, what the Chargers were trying to do was such a trifle as to be laughable.  That amount of money, in the players hands for that much longer an amount of time, means more to the player than to the team.  It's REAL money to him, it isn't to the Chargers. Well, it better not be, or they are in some real trouble.  
The amount they were fighting over was a trifle to both sides.  It was basically just short-term interest on a few million.

The amount they were fighting over was a trifle to both sides.  It was basically just short-term interest on a few million.
Short term interest on a few million to a college kid getting his first job, in an industry where the career expectancy is 4 years, and they make documentaries about how broke all the former players are, is NOT a trifle.  Are you kidding me?

Short term interest on a few million to a college kid getting his first job, in an industry where the career expectancy is 4 years, and they make documentaries about how broke all the former players are, is NOT a trifle.  Are you kidding me?
:lol:

Just a college kid getting his first job?  This isn't Little Joey delivering newspapers.  He has a $26MM contract with $17MM guaranteed.  It's less than one hundredth of a percent of his total contract.

Well the Chargers have held the entire $17M this whole time, so they now have 3 free months of earnings already.

But then $1.5M becomes $1.8M.  Then 2% becomes 2.5% or 4% or 8%.  Then 3 months becomes 6 months becomes 18 months.  This is how money managers think.  The actual amount is borderline irrelevant.  $50k is $50k.  Yes, $50k in the context of this $17M is small, but next negotiation it's $75k.  Then it's $150k.  Precedent is a huge part of this and money managers don't ever want to give up opportunities to manage (and earn) money.

:lol:

Just a college kid getting his first job?  This isn't Little Joey delivering newspapers.  He has a $26MM contract with $17MM guaranteed.  It's less than one hundredth of a percent of his total contract.
You're right.  

You are making my point for me.  If it is a laughable amount for Bosa, the Chargers REALLY look bad.  

The chargers look like buffoons, there's no way around that.

I think Bosa takes a slight hit to reputation, but it won't matter if he produces he'll be fine.

Chargers end up being the bigger loser here and it's not close.

This isn't Little Joey delivering newspapers.  He has a $26MM contract with $17MM guaranteed.  It's less than one hundredth of a percent of his total contract.
I think it's a $26 million contract with $26 million guaranteed. The bonus is $17 million, but the salary is guaranteed as well. (And the training camp bonuses from here on out should be givens ... although I guess maybe nothing is really a given when it comes to Bosa and training camp?)

I think Bosa takes a slight hit to reputation, but it won't matter if he produces he'll be fine.

I don't think Bosa will take a hit to his reputation directly because of the holdout at all. Once the games start, his reputation will be based on his on-field play, his (perceived) attitude, his ability to stay out of trouble off the field ... nobody will care about the holdout. Guys like Rivers and Tomlinson and Seau held out all of training camp while Ryan Leaf played his whole rookie preseason (and played very well -- definitely outplayed Peyton Manning). Nobody cares about any of that.

If you think his performance on the field will suffer because he missed camp, his reputation could indirectly be affected by the holdout...

I don't think Bosa will take a hit to his reputation directly because of the holdout at all. Once the games start, his reputation will be based on his on-field play, his (perceived) attitude, his ability to stay out of trouble off the field ... nobody will care about the holdout. Guys like Rivers and Tomlinson and Seau held out all of training camp while Ryan Leaf played his whole rookie preseason (and played very well -- definitely outplayed Peyton Manning). Nobody cares about any of that.

If you think his performance on the field will suffer because he missed camp, his reputation could indirectly be affected by the holdout...
I think we're saying the same thing.

Producing is going to be harder with the missed time.  This isn't a veteran missing some time, this is a guy who has had no adjustment to the speed and size of the league.  It's going to set him back.

He has 4 years though.

Producing is going to be harder with the missed time.  This isn't a veteran missing some time, this is a guy who has had no adjustment to the speed and size of the league.  It's going to set him back.

He has 4 years though.
agreed

One of the issues when he does sign is that he will need a month to get in game shape, seriously. I wouldn't let him on the field until Week 6 if he does sign prior to Week 1. 

I have this bad feeling he will finally sign and rush on to the field and end up hurt. 

He's gonna hurt himself JWB, he missed all of training camp, he can't just walk in and start. I wouldn't let him on the field for at least the first 2 weeks, then a 20-30 play snap count tops the 1st week out.  Yeah he wouldn't be going full strength IMO until like week 5 or 6. 

I'm happy to make you laugh though. 
Out Week 1? 

When HC's interview the players before the draft  

dont they discuss potential salaries at least with Top picks

I know SD has the rep,,   which could make a guy/agent consider the haggling routine

But I think if the media hadnt started talking about "redrafting", Im not so sure he woulda caved

But yeah I swear I heard of a similar issue(s) a few yrs ago

post draft involving more monies than was verbally agreed

Teams have reputations which can harm them, whether you want to believe it or not.  
Heard this same song and dance with regard to Antonio Gates. "Nobody will sign with them the way they treated Gates!!!!". Gates himself didn't care. Exact same BS take, different year.

Guys are lucky to get 2 or 3 contracts their entire career. Maybe you are right and the reason Bosa wasn't signed was because he and his agent were worried because of the deep research they did on the Mossy Cade and Jim Lachey contract negotiations. I think you are just wrong and all that agents consider is the contract in front of him.... and anyone thinking anything else is being ridiculous.

Maybe you are right and the reason Bosa wasn't signed was because he and his agent were worried because of the deep research they did on the Mossy Cade and Jim Lachey contract negotiations.
Not close to what I said.  Not even in the same ballpark.  Impressive!

... but you think the reason he wasn't signed was because of the Chargers "reputation" or because of the contract that was sitting in front of Bosa and his agent?
The dicussion of teams' reputation was in general terms,  I have no idea why you are trying to say that anyone is suggesting that Bosa's contract problem was because of the Chargers 'reputation'.  

To answer your question, I believe Bosa's contract dispute was regarding the payment of the bonus only, I don't believe that the Chargers reputation affected that at all.  

So, no, I don't believe their rep contributed to the messed up negotiations at all, I believe they were able to complete screw up these negotitations on their own.

The dicussion of teams' reputation was in general terms,  I have no idea why you are trying to say that anyone is suggesting that Bosa's contract problem was because of the Chargers 'reputation'.  
Ah, well let me tell ya there are some confused people that post on this board that think "reputation" matters more than the actual letters and numbers on the contract in front of them. Glad to hear you aren't one of them. 

So, no, I don't believe their rep contributed to the messed up negotiations at all, I believe they were able to complete screw up these negotitations on their own.
I still don't understand the heat the Charger's took. Every single article I read said the offer was very, very in line with every other contract offer over the past several years if not a bit better. Yet everyone seems to blame SD and let Bosa off the hook. I don't get it.

I still don't understand the heat the Charger's took. Every single article I read said the offer was very, very in line with every other contract offer over the past several years if not a bit better. Yet everyone seems to blame SD and let Bosa off the hook. I don't get it.
That's true of the offer made around the time of the third preseason game (which was rejected and then eventually accepted with a few meaningless changes), but the offers made before that were not really in line with what other top five picks had received (in terms of the timing of the payment of the signing bonus).

I wouldn't let him on the field until Week 6 if he does sign prior to Week 1. 

I have this bad feeling he will finally sign and rush on to the field and end up hurt. 

OUT for 3 weeks already, OUT again this week. He pulled a hammy early on after he signed or pulled something. I'm not razzing you JWB, when you posted this I probably deserved some laughs. I just thought it was interesting as SD killed at least the first 1/4 of his rookie season. I wonder what the mind set is like for Bosa right now in the locker room. Is he the savior or is he a leader? Has he been named a team captain? I'm just curious how his journey is going. 

OUT for 3 weeks already, OUT again this week. He pulled a hammy early on after he signed or pulled something. I'm not razzing you JWB, when you posted this I probably deserved some laughs. I just thought it was interesting as SD killed at least the first 1/4 of his rookie season. I wonder what the mind set is like for Bosa right now in the locker room. Is he the savior or is he a leader? Has he been named a team captain? I'm just curious how his journey is going. 
I posted :lmao:  in response to your post that you wouldn't let him play until week 6. It wasn't you saying he would be hurt, as he is, it was you saying you wouldn't let him play the first 5 games. You were wrong then and wrong now to bring it back up like you were right. 

As for the Chargers, yes, they were idiots, as I posted at the time. Had he played in week 1, he might have made a difference in stopping KC's comeback. 

I posted :lmao:  in response to your post that you wouldn't let him play until week 6. It wasn't you saying he would be hurt, as he is, it was you saying you wouldn't let him play the first 5 games. You were wrong then and wrong now to bring it back up like you were right. 
That's exactly what happened. They let him out there and he injured himself just practicing...or they held him back which is exactly what I said I would do. 

I was definitely correct in my POV and the results are quite in line with what I said. 

And you glossed over the other side of the coin, his stature in the locker room right now...

Users who are viewing this thread