What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (2 Viewers)

To me, Liverpool's vulnerabilities showed again yesterday. Norwich I thought were a team built on pushing the ball long to pukki in space...short game to open up that run for him and then send him.

Over and over Norwich had guys lining up on Liverpool's high line (a defensive tactic that seemed flawed given norwichs main attacking strength), but instead of the short short long passing, they kept going short, square and back instead of just pushing it through. One of the few times they went long, they flat out should have scored.

Credit to them for defending Salah incredibly well (always doubling or even tripling up on him).

And credit to mane for taking that goal really well. The way firminho was playing, I thought he was going to out in 3 or 4...some filth on his touch yesterday.

To me, Liverpool's vulnerabilities showed again yesterday.
I'm sure this varies some depending on where you look, but the expected score from the game yesterday was 2.4 to 0.5.  They had an off day finishing on a wet and bumpy pitch in the wind, but it's not like Liverpool didn't dominate the game.

ETA:  and I'm pretty sure that goal would have been VAR'd for offside had Norwich scored it.

ETA2:  also, the haters going on about Mane's OPI to receive the pass that led to his goal is fair enough I guess.  Now let's talk about the 50x-more-contact rugby takedown of VvD in the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure this varies some depending on where you look, but the expected score from the game yesterday was 2.4 to 0.5.  They had an off day finishing on a wet and bumpy pitch in the wind, but it's not like Liverpool didn't dominate the game.

ETA:  and I'm pretty sure that goal would have been VAR'd for offside had Norwich scored it.

ETA2:  also, the haters going on about Mane's OPI to receive the pass that led to his goal is fair enough I guess.  Now let's talk about the 50x-more-contact rugby takedown of VvD in the box.
I've been talking about the Liverpool's vulnerabilities for a bit now...still dominating games for sure, but regularly allowing opposing teams options that aren't getting taken advantage of. That high line with Norwich players continuously lined up and just waiting for the ball through that never came.

Those are the kind of vulnerabilities I'm talking about... pre-chance that could/should create ways of breaking Liverpool down. Definitely not suggesting teams are dominating or controlling games. Outside of that first City game, nobody's been close.

I've been talking about the Liverpool's vulnerabilities for a bit now...still dominating games for sure, but regularly allowing opposing teams options that aren't getting taken advantage of. That high line with Norwich players continuously lined up and just waiting for the ball through that never came.

Those are the kind of vulnerabilities I'm talking about... pre-chance that could/should create ways of breaking Liverpool down. Definitely not suggesting teams are dominating or controlling games. Outside of that first City game, nobody's been close.
Yeah, we do agree that it seems like they should be giving up more goals. 

At some point though it's hard not to think they're doing something to make other teams uncertain and/or snatch at the chances.  Rewatching the big (offside?) chance yesterday Alisson is right there as soon as he controls the ball.  A good player probably dribbles him instead of trying to pass, but Alisson did throw him off by being in his face as soon as he looked up.  Maybe it's reputational and maybe it's taking just enough time and space away to turn chances into half chances, but it's been pretty consistent now since Alisson (and Gomez) got back into the lineup.

At some point though it's hard not to think they're doing something to make other teams uncertain and/or snatch at the chances.  Rewatching the big (offside?) chance yesterday Alisson is right there as soon as he controls the ball.  A good player probably dribbles him instead of trying to pass, but Alisson did throw him off by being in his face as soon as he looked up.  Maybe it's reputational and maybe it's taking just enough time and space away to turn chances into half chances, but it's been pretty consistent now since Alisson (and Gomez) got back into the lineup.
All of this.

Btw, I saw somewhere yesterday mention something along the lines of Liverpool conceding 9 goals in the last 39 games Gomez has been in the lineup.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, either.  Gomez is incredibly underrated, IMO, and that backline of Robertson/VVD/Gomez/TAA with Alisson is ridiculous.

Alison's been great at mopping up the crumbs that get by VVD. Both so solid and mistake free..just amazing. 

But that offsides play...the Norwich player makes a terrible last touch on that pass to puki to allow Alison a chance (and he played it as perfect as possible). 19/20 that's a goal. 

It, to a much lesser degree, reminds me of LCs title run where bounces and plays just kept going their way, even though on their terms as a counterpunching team. Teams would control games and just miss their high percentage shots while LC would absorb and then finish the handful of chances that they made. 

Nobody's controlling games vs Liverpool, and I agree that the pressure Liverpool puts teams under makes those half and almost chances so much more difficult...but at this level it's incredible that team after team can't capitalize. 

Oof.  Chelsea getting jobbed by the refs here today.
I hate United as much as any sports team since the 1970s Raiders, but I think VAR got that right.  Fred makes contact with the Chelsea player, but probably not enough to call even if they player goes down (which he didn't).  Then the Chelsea player completely clears out Opie, directly allowing the goal.  IMO it's like 20% domino effect and 80% on the Chelsea player.

I hate United as much as any sports team since the 1970s Raiders, but I think VAR got that right.  Fred makes contact with the Chelsea player, but probably not enough to call even if they player goes down (which he didn't).  Then the Chelsea player completely clears out Opie, directly allowing the goal.  IMO it's like 20% domino effect and 80% on the Chelsea player.
Guess we'll have to disagree.  You get pushed in the back and you immediately throw your hands up to try and regain your balance.  If you then run into someone, you're gonna use them to try and right that momentum.  Fred's push absolutely negated Azpi's push in that situation 100% of the time IMO.  But I guess reffing is subjective so...

Either way.  United should've been down to 10 men already with Maguire's crotch kick in the first half.  Can't argue that one.

Guess we'll have to disagree.  You get pushed in the back and you immediately throw your hands up to try and regain your balance.  If you then run into someone, you're gonna use them to try and right that momentum.  Fred's push absolutely negated Azpi's push in that situation 100% of the time IMO.  But I guess reffing is subjective so...

Either way.  United should've been down to 10 men already with Maguire's crotch kick in the first half.  Can't argue that one.
Ooh... didn't see that one.  Did VAR have a look?

Oof.  Just looked that up.  Insult to injury that McGuire got the 2nd.

What a crazy start to Theirry Henry's MLS coaching career for Montreal.

His team did not score a goal the entire preseason.

He lost his best player in Piatti who left the team recently to go back home.

He starts the season having to travel to the hell hole known as Saprissa, where many an MLS team has died.

He was forced to use two subs in the first half due to injuries.

Saprissa is utterly dominating every aspect of the game statistically except 1.

Montreal is some how up 2-0 in the second half.

What a crazy start to Theirry Henry's MLS coaching career for Montreal.

His team did not score a goal the entire preseason.

He lost his best player in Piatti who left the team recently to go back home.

He starts the season having to travel to the hell hole known as Saprissa, where many an MLS team has died.

He was forced to use two subs in the first half due to injuries.

Saprissa is utterly dominating every aspect of the game statistically except 1.

Montreal is some how up 2-0 in the second half.
Ends up 2-2.

End score incredibly flattered Montreal.  Escaping with a point and 2 away goal does give them a chance in the home leg to advance but they were so dominated tonight, it is hard to imagine.  Then again Saprissa has that effect on so many teams so who knows what it will look like back home.

Atlético score 3 unanswered from the 40th onward after letting in a goal in the 16th. They're playing well at home with 4 wins out of the last 5, but they need to be able to score goals on the road.

It looks like they are getting healthier tough too, with Costa, Felix, and Trippier seeing action lately.  Morata going to go a full 90 today.  For a while, they are really thin.  Gotta get Giménez healthy too. I hope he gets available for the return leg at Anfield. He's been on the bench but has yet to play much.

Atlético score 3 unanswered from the 40th onward after letting in a goal in the 16th. They're playing well at home with 4 wins out of the last 5, but they need to be able to score goals on the road.

It looks like they are getting healthier tough too, with Costa, Felix, and Trippier seeing action lately.  Morata going to go a full 90 today.  For a while, they are really thin.  Gotta get Giménez healthy too. I hope he gets available for the return leg at Anfield. He's been on the bench but has yet to play much.
Big win too, as a loss to Villareal would have put Atleti temporarily out of the European spots.  The 3-6 is tight right now.

Yep.  Said no red.  IMO it was just as bad(if not worse) than the Son kick earlier this year.  Especially as it was in the groin.
Stop it.  You can believe McGuire deserved a red.  But Son's was worse.  Son raked his studs up the side of the leg after all momentum had stopped.  If McGuire hadnt caught him in the sack, no one would be complaining.  There should have been a foul called on Chelsea and the momentum was still moving him to where he may have fallen on McGuire.  

I am not saying McGuire didn't deserve a red.  I am just saying Son's was worse.

Azpi stopped before running into the United player then gave him a 2 handed shove.  Fred's push would never be called a foul in those situations.  Azpi's always will be.

Bruno is a stud, I am glad they finally got him and could only wonder what if they had done the deal in summer as they should have.

McT back, Fred doing well.... Lingard and Pereira dropped.... United's MF already looking much improved.  

Stop it.  You can believe McGuire deserved a red.  But Son's was worse.  Son raked his studs up the side of the leg after all momentum had stopped.  If McGuire hadnt caught him in the sack, no one would be complaining.  There should have been a foul called on Chelsea and the momentum was still moving him to where he may have fallen on McGuire.  

I am not saying McGuire didn't deserve a red.  I am just saying Son's was worse.
Studs to nads is worse, sorry.

Bruno is a stud, I am glad they finally got him and could only wonder what if they had done the deal in summer as they should have.

McT back, Fred doing well.... Lingard and Pereira dropped.... United's MF already looking much improved.  
He's a difference maker...from his first game. And at a position they've been desperate for for a few seasons. Really hoping Pogba heals and stays...that's going to be fun to watch those guys.

He's a difference maker...from his first game. And at a position they've been desperate for for a few seasons. Really hoping Pogba heals and stays...that's going to be fun to watch those guys.
Will be interesting to see how (or IF) Pogba fits into the team now.  And who makes way (Fred or McT).  With Bruno they fixed a major hole and if Pogba does leave they still look good in MF.  Bring in Graelish or Maddison (not likely) and they could be fun to watch again.

People love to slight Martial.  But give him credit for having done what he HAS done with Lingard/Peraira in there!  

Will be interesting to see how (or IF) Pogba fits into the team now.  And who makes way (Fred or McT).  With Bruno they fixed a major hole and if Pogba does leave they still look good in MF.  Bring in Graelish or Maddison (not likely) and they could be fun to watch again.

People love to slight Martial.  But give him credit for having done what he HAS done with Lingard/Peraira in there!  
Martial finds great space and makes great runs...usually unrewarded. But he's still questionable with his decision making- especially shoot vs pass vs hold.

ETA.. but him and Marcus with that MF would be pretty stellar 

Users who are viewing this thread