What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (8 Viewers)

They definitely seen freer going forward. 

Under Jose, seemed like only one person was allowed to get forward out of the MF at a time. Now it feels like guys are streaming forward at will.

Of course, Oles tenure hasn't exactly been chock full o' CL teams so far.
No but these are the teams they struggled to beat under Jose.  Under Ole they are scoring 3, 4, 5 goals as they should.

The movement and the rotation going forward is worlds better then it was.  Martial popping up on the right, Rashford getting to each sideline, Pogba roaming and several people crashing the box on a counter.  Its what you are supposed to do.

Jose would get 1 and pack it in.  Ole gets one and sends more forward.  Even in the 2nd half up 3-1, United looked to posses but when it was on everyone still went.  Jose would let 1 go and everyone stays back and watches.

United is 3 behind Arsenal, 8 behind Chelsea, 10 behind Tottenham

United have Newcastle 1/2, Reading (FA Cup) 1/5, Tottenham 1/13, Brighton 1/19 and Burnley 1/29

Chelsea and Arsenal play 1/19...

And United goes to Arsenal and hosts Chelsea

Last edited by a moderator:
Liverpool - 61%
Man City - 35%
Tottenham - 3%
Chelsea 1%

Current title odds, per Oddschecker.

Since it's about 50/50 whether Liverpool get a result Thursday (52% they tie or win) those are likely to move after the match though.  A City win probably pushes it close to even again.

Liverpool - 61%
Man City - 35%
Tottenham - 3%
Chelsea 1%

Current title odds, per Oddschecker.

Since it's about 50/50 whether Liverpool get a result Thursday (52% they tie or win) those are likely to move after the match though.  A City win probably pushes it close to even again.
As soon as they sign American Messi, Chelsea's odds will double!

El Floppo said:
Ole's United keeping a clean sheet!*

*so far. against newcastle.
KEPT A CLEAN SHEET!!!!!

Sloppy game from United.  Back 4 was a little suspect and a top team probably would have made them pay for their mistakes.  But they got their 2 goals and a clean sheet so on to the FA Cup

4 games, 4 wins.  From 0 gd to +11.  3 behind Arsenal, 6 behind Chelsea

Free flowing and attacking.  Nice to see.  Test will be next week vs Tottenham.

KEPT A CLEAN SHEET!!!!!

Sloppy game from United.  Back 4 was a little suspect and a top team probably would have made them pay for their mistakes.  But they got their 2 goals and a clean sheet so on to the FA Cup

4 games, 4 wins.  From 0 gd to +11.  3 behind Arsenal, 6 behind Chelsea

Free flowing and attacking.  Nice to see.  Test will be next week vs Tottenham.
what kind of formation is he running- or is he varying things?

what kind of formation is he running- or is he varying things?
Seems to be lining up 4-3-3 but with Pogba pushed much further forward and the top 3 kind of interchanging.  The big thing he's done so far, IMO, is give Pogba that freedom and also stuck with Rashford up top.  What's funny is, all of a sudden Lukaku is scoring too.  The thing that always irritated me about Jose is how stubborn he is - I get being a defensive minded coach but when your best/better players are attackers it stands to reason that you go with your strength.  He could never do that for some reason.  To me that was what set SAF apart from even Wenger - SAF just wanted to win and would do whatever it took to get it done.  Wenger wanted to play a certain style and the consequences be damned - Jose took that to the nth degree.

I have no idea how Ole will do even the rest of this season but right now it's night and day and you have to give him at least some of the credit.

Re: Today's Man City-RomaPool game:

Man City have a 74% win rate when Fernandinho(😍) plays, 64% when he doesnt.

Re: Today's Man City-RomaPool game:

Man City have a 74% win rate when Fernandinho(😍) plays, 64% when he doesnt.
I'm torn on whether I want him to play or not. Leaning towards wanting him to play, he tends to struggle when he is forced to turn around and face his own goal. Liverpool's pace on the wings should help with that, especially on the City left flank. They have some issues at left back, and it'll be interesting to see if Pep uses Sane to keep Trent/whoever pinned deep on that side.

Team sheets:

City:

Ederson
Danilo
Kompany
Stones
Sterling
Aguero
Laporte
Sane
B Silva
D Silva
Fernandinho

Subs:
Muric
Walker
Gundogan
KdB
Mahrez
Otamendi
Jesus

Liverpool:
Alisson
VvD
Gini
Lovren
Milner
Firmino
Mane
Salah
Henderson
Robertson
Trent

Subs:
Migs
Fabinho
Keita
Sturridge
Moreno
Lallana
Shaqiri

I saw Kompany was starting, and I was ready to call this for Liverpool.

Then I saw Henderson was also starting, and this has draw written all over it.

I'm torn on whether I want him to play or not. Leaning towards wanting him to play, he tends to struggle when he is forced to turn around and face his own goal. Liverpool's pace on the wings should help with that, especially on the City left flank. They have some issues at left back, and it'll be interesting to see if Pep uses Sane to keep Trent/whoever pinned deep on that side.
When it's all said & done, it doesn't really matter when you got "Salasson"...

I saw Kompany was starting, and I was ready to call this for Liverpool.

Then I saw Henderson was also starting, and this has draw written all over it.
Going to be interesting if Klopp is going 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Milner helping Trent with Sane.

The ball in to Robertson leading to the assist will get all the attention, but the TA-A ball to Robertson immediately before was something else.  Smoked it 60 yards on a line and never looked like it was more than six feet off the ground.

The ball in to Robertson leading to the assist will get all the attention, but the TA-A ball to Robertson immediately before was something else.  Smoked it 60 yards on a line and never looked like it was more than six feet off the ground.
Both of those passes were exquisite.

Robertson's touch to Firmino was also beautiful.

I'm on dvr... Kun just scored.

This has been an amazing game so far...Soo many interesting battles across the field macro to micro. That 4-3-3 of Liverpool w the more defensive players really playing like a  3-4-3, and city trying to draw those defensive mfs higher up the field with so much passing in their own box. And almost every spot on the field being contested with individual battles. So much to watch in this one! And that brillaint build up by Salah getting cleared off the line by milimeters! Epic stuff here.

Phew! What a ####### game by both sides.

Milner and hendo in the lineup limited Liverpool going forward, but certainly helped defensively...and pool were so close to scoring a couple more.

And I thought Sane was a little off today... Involved, but a bunch of not quite right touches and final balls...until that great goal.

Wow....game of the year. And Liverpool proved they're still the team to beat, taking it to city in Manchester and looking strong on both sides of the ball.

Exhale....

Milner and hendo in the lineup limited Liverpool going forward, but certainly helped defensively...and pool were so close to scoring a couple more.

And I thought Sane was a little off today... Involved, but a bunch of not quite right touches and final balls...until that great goal.

Wow....game of the year. And Liverpool proved they're still the team to beat, taking it to city in Manchester and looking strong on both sides of the ball.

Exhale....
Agree that it was a thrilling game, especially for neutrals. I think Pep out-maneuvered Klopp tactically, or maybe it was because of team selection. Milner was clearly not ready to come back in the team after his injury, and Fabinho should have started. Both Trent and Robbo were left hanging high, with little to no support provided by Milner/Gini, time after time. Robbo handled Sterling a lot better than Trent could Sane. Sane is quite a player! The team let themselves down, but even so, it required two absolute rockets to beat them.  

Such fine margins in this game. Fernandinho could've been sent off for his "reckless" tackle on Mo early on. I think he's saved by Mo jumping over his raised leg. For the record, I think it was correctly called with a yellow card there, but on another day that could've been red. I think the NBC crew said 12 mm of the ball didn't cross the line on the Stones clearance... Aguero hits a perfect shot, in the only spot he can score, perfect strike by Sane on his goal, and perfectly weighted ball (onside). Lovren loses Aguero on the first goal, and he fails to move up and put Sane off on the 2nd goal...

I haven't re-watched it yet, but that Trent to Robbo to Firmino combo was damned tasty.

ETA: Maybe it was Kompany, not Fernandinho on Mo??

tight tight game. One of Liverpool's shots went post-out...theirs went post-in...what a game. 

Had to watch my recorded version.  The rare highly anticipated game that really delivers.  I'm a neutral, but I'd have to think Liverpool fans would feel about as good as you can after a loss.  They went mano a mano on the road against their only real competition for the title.  And any result would have been fair.  

And because of the energy/tension and because of all the high intensity individual battles, I don't think either team played near their best... But it was all those factors that made the game so inspired and thrilling. And there was still plenty of skill on display.

Charv... Yeah, kompany. And I agree about the yellow. At first I thought it was clean...and it was in an old school way- won the ball and took the player out. But he really jumped into the tackle, which is new-school not allowed, and Salah thankfully rode the tackle (I thought he embellished it at first-hand but if he hadn't gotten off his feet it could've been really bad)

Agree with scoob about Liverpool fans feeling good about that game. They proved they're the elite in the league, where it took something special from City and as charv said some fine margins not going their way to not get points here. 

Do they have any more games left against each other?

Exhale....
How does this change when KDB is back to full fitness?  What's his timeline, btw?  

Users who are viewing this thread