Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread

Naturally, Leicester and Chelsea are the other two teams in the title race w Liverpool and City. Just like we all had it before the season started.

1 hour ago, Steve Tasker said:

Wenger in

Arsenal achieved more points in the 50 games prior to Wegner's sacking than they have in the 50 games after he was sacked.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Magpies in 11th place with Man U and Spurs in the rearview mirror, just as expected. :bowtie:

• Like 2

:oldunsure:

Well that was an interesting turn of events...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

Not sure how that’s not a penalty given the new rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Looked to be off of TAAs hip and not arm. 

Been waiting for Fab to hit one from there :wub:

• Love 1

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

Not sure how that’s not a penalty given the new rules.

New VAR Rules:

1. Will the potential foul disadvantage Liverpool?

2.  If yes, deny foul.

3.  If No, will the potential foul create an advantage for Liverpool?

4.  If yes, call the foul.

5.  If no, just flip a coin, nobody really cares.

• Laughing 1

"A sensational opening to this game!!!"

:oldunsure:  I think that might be a matter of perspective.

But God I hate Lovren being back there. He makes me nervous everytime he touches the ball. He's going to screw up at some point and give up a great chance for City.

mini-rant - I understand the play on call there - Man City was still in possession and moving forward, but when one of the attackers is yanked down it removes one of the options upfield.  Not a great advantage.

12 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

When did Pitbull start playing for City?

Worldwide.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

Worldwide.

Look for Angelino to play for Miami, where he will be Mr. 305

If that first one isn't a handball, nobody understands VAR. Or at least I don't. Hand and arm stretched out wide, not close to his body in a natural position. And clearly hit the arm. If not then, when?

Fun game though. Thought MC dominated and played very well...lots of good chances, just couldn't finish. Lfc sooooo surgical and ruthless. Defended eell, albeit very deep. Crazy result, imo...but credit to lfc for their finishing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

If that first one isn't a handball, nobody understands VAR. Or at least I don't. Hand and arm stretched out wide, not close to his body in a natural position. And clearly hit the arm. If not then, when?

Fun game though. Thought MC dominated and played very well...lots of good chances, just couldn't finish. Lfc sooooo surgical and ruthless. Defended eell, albeit very deep. Crazy result, imo...but credit to lfc for their finishing.

Agree with all of this.  Should have been a handball and that changed the game.  But, can't say that Liverpool didn't deserve the win either.

30 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Crazy red card here.  He is likely to get a significant suspension I think.  Also for US fans, I am pretty sure that is Timmy Chandler in street clothes in the melee.

https://twitter.com/JOYPAULIAN/status/1193609116180025344?s=20

Lunacy to drop the shoulder on the coach like that. But lol that the coach did sell it quite a bit.

Offending player is going to have a nice season, guy.

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Agree with all of this.  Should have been a handball and that changed the game.  But, can't say that Liverpool didn't deserve the win either.

I said City dominated, but lfc definitely deserved the goals and the win...especially since city were ineffectual with their finishing.

Tfc look ok here 15 in. Very calm and organized. I had figured sea would be all over them

Tfc still look like they're playing without a striker, in a 4-6-0

Caillou w the jumping studs up no call

Seattle on their heels here heading to halftime

And Caillou owning roldan, at least in relative play...not a lot of head to head for the two dcms

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

And Caillou owning roldan, at least in relative play...not a lot of head to head for the two dcms

I agree. 

The running joke online is that Bradley is playing exactly like a guy with $6.5m to gain :)

I think TFC was the slightly better team in the first half.  Game needs a goal either way.

Looks like he's getting ready.

Unless he blows an acl standing up from the bench

W jozy going in, tfc switching from 4-6-0 to a 4-5-1 and already starting to cede the MF to sea

11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

W jozy going in, tfc switching from 4-6-0 to a 4-5-1 and already starting to cede the MF to sea

Make that a 4-4-2? Omar gonzalez pushing up top.

Wow. I think that was Jozys first touch. Goal. Too little too late, but stilll

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Wow. I think that was Jozys first touch. Goal. Too little too late, but stilll

Great header from that far out.  Bullet in the corner.

25 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Nice goal for sea 

The second goal was pretty.  Looked great in slow motion to see the nice inter change and eventual shot.

• Like 1

Great win for Seattle.  Toronto has the same problem the USMNT has.... without Jozy they just don't have the same goal scoring threat.  

Seattle is gonna be party town tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

The last "TWICE!!!!!!!!" up to the heavens makes the whole clip for me :)

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1193592677264220160?s=20

Lot's of great captions for this one, but my personal favorite was "What's your favorite Paddington movie?"*

*  Hugh Grant was robbed of an Oscar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, encaitar said:

Great win for Seattle.  Toronto has the same problem the USMNT has.... without Jozy they just don't have the same goal scoring threat.  

Seattle is gonna be party town tonight.

Got last minute tickets from a buddy. Only been to a handful of games but always a great environment. Closest I have heard a crowd be to a football game in terms of noise, was pretty great. The early start kept it from being a total mess with drunk people.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, The General said:

Got last minute tickets from a buddy. Only been to a handful of games but always a great environment. Closest I have heard a crowd be to a football game in terms of noise, was pretty great. The early start kept it from being a total mess with drunk people.

It must sound different in stadium than on tv. 

On tv it far surpassed any NFL game I have seen, most of which have lots and lots of dead time due to the endless commercials which kill the crowd.  That game today was almost constant loud cheering, chanting, singing etc.

14 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

On tv it far surpassed any NFL game I have seen, most of which have lots and lots of dead time due to the endless commercials which kill the crowd.  That game today was almost constant loud cheering, chanting, singing etc.

It's been 30+ years s III nice I've been to any NFL games (niners) and the sound and look was nowhere near the enthusiasm I've seen at soccer stadiums. Lemme clarify- non NYC stadiums.

On TV, that place was consistently rocking today in a way I've not seen in the nfl, other than 3rd downs at the end of games or after home team scores.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I was opposite side of stadium from where the supporters group was (on the field level below where they put the Toronto people who also cheered the entire game) so maybe a bit quieter down there. Crowd was into it the whole game. Really fun, 2nd and 3rd goals were crazy.

I'm not super into soccer but do enjoy the environment and any championship game is going to be awesome. Love the running clock and pace of the game.

Seahawks games though are the loudest things I have ever been too including concerts. You cannot hear the person next to you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

It's been 30+ years s III nice I've been to any NFL games (niners) and the sound and look was nowhere near the enthusiasm I've seen at soccer stadiums. Lemme clarify- non NYC stadiums.

On TV, that place was consistently rocking today in a way I've not seen in the nfl, other than 3rd downs at the end of games or after home team scores.

It was a great atmosphere. First championship won in Seattle since the hockey team a zillion years ago I believe. Only thing that would have been better would have been Saturday night game at say 6pm. Sunday at noon, WTF MLS.

Come out for a Seahawks game sometime, it's also nuts. Night games are borderline dangerous.

I have seen an MLS game in Portland. That was also crazy. Tiny, tiny stadium. Got a lumberjack walking around with some giant chainsaw. Flares and smoke bombs were going off.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

That is kind of how I view it too.  A good soccer atmosphere is more consistent (due to consistent pace of play) where as good atmosphere NFL games are more like a roller coaster (again due to pace of play).

I have been a Pats season ticket holder and during the moments of action in the games, the place was really loud, but the endless commercials just kill the momentum since there is not much to cheer for while the players stand around waiting for the commercial to end.

Just now, The General said:

I have seen an MLS game in Portland. That was also crazy. Tiny, tiny stadium. Got a lumberjack walking around with some giant chainsaw. Flares and smoke bombs were going off.

From TV viewing, I think Portland and LAFC have the two best atmosphere's in MLS. 

Portland recently expanded their stadium to 25k, but kept all the atmosphere when it was smaller.