What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (10 Viewers)

well, almost time for another Manchester Derby.  2nd leg of the carabou league cup.  City hold 3-1 lead

Ole appears to be going 3-4-2 (or 5-2-2)

De Gea
Lindelof McGuire Shaw
AWB Fred Matic Williams
              :thumbdown:
Greenwood Martial
Really well taken by matic.

City through to the Finals on aggregate 3-2.  United win 1-0 on some great saves by De Gea and some great linesman work for the offside calls.

De Gea had a great day.  Matic looked solid aside from the double yellow.  Encouraging if they can play this hard vs lower teams.

Lingard owes Sterling a gift for not scoring off his mistake. (another game, another reminder he is a league 1 talent)

This Liverpool Southampton match might be pretty good. Soton plays well enough at times to give them trouble and they're just bad enough for Pool to overlook them

I thought ings was brought down there. No reason to dive, as he was through on the GK. 

But that Liverpool goal...the work but Robertson and whoever have that backheel to ox. Lethal.

Wish Liverpool had kept Ings -- he's playing out of his mind now that he's healthy.
I was wondering too. 

But is he the type of guy that would fit in that three headed monster? Dunno. Has struck me as a hard-working, skillful and clinical guy, but maybe not a guy at his best who's going to combine...

And Bam. So lethal...where every other team isn't.

Saints have had their chances, but a slightly off touch here, slightly misplaced pass there...and this is where we are.

And Bam. So lethal...where every other team isn't.

Saints have had their chances, but a slightly off touch here, slightly misplaced pass there...and this is where we are.
The pass from Henderson was inch-perfect.  The defender got his toe to it, but couldn't redirect it.

I love how Liverpool can 1000-pass anaconda teams that Mourinho with 10, and still play direct against teams that push/press.  Having both TAA and VvD able to spray passes over 50 yards makes them really hard to stop.

Outside of the mid-Messi Barca teams I'd put this version of Liverpool up against anyone and be happy to take my chances.  Such a complete team.  Never would have believed anyone could be 22 points clear of 2nd place.

Outside of the mid-Messi Barca teams I'd put this version of Liverpool up against anyone and be happy to take my chances.  Such a complete team.  Never would have believed anyone could be 22 points clear of 2nd place.
They are so good.

I'm still seeing the vulnerability I didn't remember with the invincibles and barcas. I bring up Leicester again...they were great but won as much by their opposition just not getting the final touch right...pretty much all season. It was crazy. Full credit to them for making that happen, but yeah- crazy. This is a much more complete side...much more. But I've mentioned that vulnerability the last month or so, the not getting punished is what reminds me of Leicester.

They are so good.

I'm still seeing the vulnerability I didn't remember with the invincibles and barcas. I bring up Leicester again...they were great but won as much by their opposition just not getting the final touch right...pretty much all season. It was crazy. Full credit to them for making that happen, but yeah- crazy. This is a much more complete side...much more. But I've mentioned that vulnerability the last month or so, the not getting punished is what reminds me of Leicester.
I agree with all this.  Liverpool is as good as any champion in the last 5-6 years in the EPL and they may even be better, but I don't put them up against any of the all time greats yet.

In some ways I'm a little pissed that Man City has fallen off(even though I'm not a fan), because the Man City of the last 2-3 years would've given this Liverpool team a hell of a fight for the title and it would've been a lot of fun.  That said, sometimes it's hard to continue to play so well when everyone around you is playing poorly, so the fact that they haven't is a credit in itself.

Don't want to disagree with the overall point that Liverpool's opposition seem to consistently hurry when they have a shot at goal -- LFC should have surrendered more GA this year IMO.

At the same time...

This team could go 3-10-0 over the last 13 games and still have more points at the end of the year than the Invincibles did.

Don't want to disagree with the overall point that Liverpool's opposition seem to consistently hurry when they have a shot at goal -- LFC should have surrendered more GA this year IMO.

At the same time...

This team could go 3-10-0 over the last 13 games and still have more points at the end of the year than the Invincibles did.
Oh for sure. I really don't want to diminish what they're doing here- sorry if that's what's coming across. They have been incredible, and even while vulnerable. and I use this word pretty loosely...they've just been presenting opportunities to their opposition- so not slamming the door on every game- but all while still dictating the game. That game vs city, I thought city dominated the first half (only time I've seen that vs Liverpool this season) but came away empty and then got sucker punched and body blowed. Iirc, United played well against them too.

Having Allisson and VVD able to shut down everything goes a long way toward enabling free wheeling play. Loved how Liverpool was just trying #### like it was an all star game the last 10 minutes or so.

Having Allisson and VVD able to shut down everything goes a long way toward enabling free wheeling play. Loved how Liverpool was just trying #### like it was an all star game the last 10 minutes or so.
They cover a lot of holes.

But i dont even think they have that many...so cohesive and quick settling their shape. Just amazing.

Watching Monterrey v. Queretaro  and the announcement that Fox Sports is providing CONCACAF Champions League matches this season.  :clap:

:banned:

Think City didn't get another pen on the failed PK because Sterling knocked over the endline.  No chance he was getting to it.  Also he should have been off.

Think City didn't get another pen on the failed PK because Sterling knocked over the endline.  No chance he was getting to it.  Also he should have been off.
That one was a weird call.  Sterling clearly got the ball first and Lloris clearly made contact with him.  Usually it doesn't matter if Sterling hit it 5 rows deep, just the contact without the ball is enough for a penalty.  However, Sterling was clearly going to ground before any contact was made and if that's what the call was, he should've been carded and sent off. 

Ref hasn't been very solid today.

COYS!!

Liverpool's magic number down to 18 with 13 games to play.

Next seven:  Norwich, West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth, Everton, Palace, City.

If they don't clinch @Palace on 3/21(!) they'll have a chance to lock it up @City on 4/4.

COYS!!

If they don't clinch @Palace on 3/21(!) they'll have a chance to lock it up @City on 4/4.
City has Leicester, United and Chelsea away in their next 6 ;)

Halfway through the first half of wolves v United....fun game so far.

And fernandes looks legit
Was entertaining and Bruno looked good.  The break is a good time for him to get settled with his team and start getting some health back.

Rumors Pogba may be fit after the break and the two of them could be fun.  United has the makings of a good to great starting 11 if everyone is healthy. 

COYS!!

Serious question as a fan:

Champions league games starting back up. 

1)  The league is won at this point.  However, with 13 games left, let's assume they win the next 6 and officially win the league.  How hard do you go after the final 7 league games if you still haven't lost?  Or is it more important to rest players and have them completely fit for the CL?

2)  What would you prefer as a fan?  Losing in the CL (at any stage) but finishing the season 37-1-0 or Winning the CL but having one loss and giving up the chance to join the Invincibles?

1)  The league is won at this point.  However, with 13 games left, let's assume they win the next 6 and officially win the league.  How hard do you go after the final 7 league games if you still haven't lost?  Or is it more important to rest players and have them completely fit for the CL?

2)  What would you prefer as a fan?  Losing in the CL (at any stage) but finishing the season 37-1-0 or Winning the CL but having one loss and giving up the chance to join the Invincibles?
Those are some great issues to have.

Doubling with Epl and back to back CL would be pretty epic. 

These are good questions.  But you are missing one, which imo is bigger then the invincibles....  The Treble.  One English team has done it and they are your hated rivals. 

Why are you not going for that?  The league is won.  You are in a good spot in the CL and Klopp seems to be doing all he can to throw away the FA Cup.  I don't get it.

These are good questions.  But you are missing one, which imo is bigger then the invincibles....  The Treble.  One English team has done it and they are your hated rivals. 

Why are you not going for that?  The league is won.  You are in a good spot in the CL and Klopp seems to be doing all he can to throw away the FA Cup.  I don't get it.
I wasn't missing it, but as you said, he seems to not be interested in that.  I do respect his decision to rest the players over break as they are supposed to.  If they can pull off that win, I think they will go for it more. 

But, as great as the CL is, I think a historic 37-1-0 would be an even bigger deal and will be remembered more than 2020 CL champions. 

I wasn't missing it, but as you said, he seems to not be interested in that.  I do respect his decision to rest the players over break as they are supposed to.  If they can pull off that win, I think they will go for it more. 

But, as great as the CL is, I think a historic 37-1-0 would be an even bigger deal and will be remembered more than 2020 CL champions. 
You are prob correct that winning the EPL with 112 out of 114 points would be a bigger deal then a double.  And will definitely add to the discussion of best EPL teams ever (Treble v Invincibles v 112)...

Yeah...I couldn't even tell you what if any else the Invincibles won outside of going undefeated. And yet they're the team I remember more than teams who won doubles or trebles. Liverpool will need a catchy name like the Invincibles though.

Yeah...I couldn't even tell you what if any else the Invincibles won outside of going undefeated. And yet they're the team I remember more than teams who won doubles or trebles. Liverpool will need a catchy name like the Invincibles though.
EPL Title with 90 points, 26 wins, 12 draws.

They didn't win anything else. 

"eliminated in the FA Cup and League Cup semi-finals to Manchester United and Middlesbrough respectively, and at the quarter-final stage of the UEFA Champions League to Chelsea."

So not really that invincible after all?

EPL Title with 90 points, 26 wins, 12 draws.

They didn't win anything else. 

"eliminated in the FA Cup and League Cup semi-finals to Manchester United and Middlesbrough respectively, and at the quarter-final stage of the UEFA Champions League to Chelsea."

So not really that invincible after all?
And yet, they still get to keep the name

I think Klopp is serious about giving his players a break -- Mane has been playing almost non-stop for 18 months -- and also that the completely ridiculous scheduling around the League Cup/World Club Cup has left a bad taste in his mouth.

I'm not expecting anything other than the league, so don't really care too much.  Another CL title or FA Cup trophy would be incredible.

But seriously, I think that gets to the Crux of gianmarcos question- record books vs perceived legacy
It is a good question.  Seems most of the Liverpool fans I know want the EPL title and the rest be damned. Even now they are still quietly anxious about it even with a 22 point cushion.  Which is is understandable.  Not being in that spot (YET,  :censored:  United and Woodward's incompetency may get us there), but seeing a 22 point lead with 13 to go, and knowing how rare some of these things are.?  I dont see why you arent going for it all.

Most seemingly will be happy with the EPL.  Record points for a season seems inevitable and would be icing on the cake.
Invincibles status?
Back to Back CL (and 7th time champ)?
Treble?

FA Cup Trophy would give them 8, tied with Chelsea and Tottenham behind United and Arsenal.

Its a good discussion for sure.

FYI, anyone currently 9th or worse have been mathematically eliminated from winning the title.

I think Klopp is serious about giving his players a break -- Mane has been playing almost non-stop for 18 months -- and also that the completely ridiculous scheduling around the League Cup/World Club Cup has left a bad taste in his mouth.

I'm not expecting anything other than the league, so don't really care too much.  Another CL title or FA Cup trophy would be incredible.
Oh I agree this is a debacle by the EPL and FA.  (And Liverpool for going to a replay  :P ) and I get Klopp's stance.  This is the 2nd time the schedule makers have been out to get him.

Oh I agree this is a debacle by the EPL and FA.  (And Liverpool for going to a replay  :P ) and I get Klopp's stance.  This is the 2nd time the schedule makers have been out to get him.
I don't understand replays in this format.  The schedule is already a bear to work in.  Why add a game?  Extra-time and PKs and be done with it.

I don't understand replays in this format.  The schedule is already a bear to work in.  Why add a game?  Extra-time and PKs and be done with it.
I love replays, even though I get and can't argue against your point. I love them for what I love about the FA cup...a chance for David to face off against Goliath...sometimes even in Goliath's home and legendary field.

I love replays, even though I get and can't argue against your point. I love them for what I love about the FA cup...a chance for David to face off against Goliath...sometimes even in Goliath's home and legendary field.
The money the lower teams can get simply for hosting a big team, then the honor of getting to play in a place like Anfield or Old Trafford... its why they give them as many games as they can in the FA Cup.

I'd much rather scrap the League Cup than get rid of replays.

Users who are viewing this thread