What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (4 Viewers)

jesus, how long before Davies is talked about as one of the best LB's in the world?  What an incredible signing and recognition from Bayern to move him to LB

https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta/status/1232421169187446786?s=20
I guess not too long...........................

@stuholden

Alphonso Davies is a world class left back. Top 5 in world soccer right now easy.

=====

@CynicalLive

Alphonso Davies might be the best LB in the world on current form. He’s amazing every time I watch him

Martial finds great space and makes great runs...usually unrewarded. But he's still questionable with his decision making- especially shoot vs pass vs hold.

ETA.. but him and Marcus with that MF would be pretty stellar 
:goodposting:  

Don't forget Greenwood and James, both have pace and Greenwood is the purest scorer of them all.  Start moving the ball with speed and purpose and that front 5 can be as scary as any.

But to your point, yes, both Martial and Rashford need to improve their decision making.  Rashford tends to run himself into trouble when a give and go or an early ball across would free up everyone.  

Pogba was the only one really trying to hit that cutting edge pass.  Now Bruno is the one doing it.  They just need the cross field pass that Rooney and Pogba were so good at to happen (Matic can only pass to his left) and they will start to breakdown most teams quickly.

Rashford Martial Greenwood             (or James)
          Pogba  Bruno                             (Or Mata if someone needs a rest)
                  McT                                     (or Fred, maybe Matic)  
Williams McGuire Lindelof AWB      (Or Shaw, Bailley, Tuanzbee, Dalot)

It Pulisic was healthy it would be a great argument but right now, for me Davies is the best player from Concacaf.
I think I agree, but it is weird how Jimenez is almost never mentioned in these discussions.  I  think most people would have assumed it's between CP and Chucky going into the season.  I give CP a break on the injury, but Chucky may be behind both Jimenez and Vela just when discussing Mexico.  

But it's hard to overstate what Fonzie is doing as a left back.  It's still a smallish sample size, but he doesn't seem to be a downgrade from Alaba at all.  I think he's probably more productive (allowing that I can't really account for defense).

I think I agree, but it is weird how Jimenez is almost never mentioned in these discussions.  I  think most people would have assumed it's between CP and Chucky going into the season.  I give CP a break on the injury, but Chucky may be behind both Jimenez and Vela just when discussing Mexico.  

But it's hard to overstate what Fonzie is doing as a left back.  It's still a smallish sample size, but he doesn't seem to be a downgrade from Alaba at all.  I think he's probably more productive (allowing that I can't really account for defense).
I leave Vela off these lists because he won't play international soccer (I know it should not matter but for some reason it does to me).

But if he did, he would be at the very top with the other names you mentioned, for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Bayern really dinged up in the back or has the emergence of Davies -- my goodness at that burst on the last goal -- caused them to jigger that lineup? Because it looked to me like there were four natural fullbacks in the lineup last night and it wasn't too long ago that Alaba and Kimmich were among the world's best pair of them. Neither played FB vs Chelsea (Kimmich looked uncomfortable, too).

Is Bayern really dinged up in the back or has the emergence of Davies -- my goodness at that burst on the last goal -- caused them to jigger that lineup? Because it looked to me like there were four natural fullbacks in the lineup last night and it wasn't too long ago that Alaba and Kimmich were among the world's best pair of them. Neither played FB vs Chelsea (Kimmich looked uncomfortable, too).
Sule is out, possibly for the season, and Hernandez is just back after a long injury and probably not quite fit.  I did not watch yesterday due to work obligations (thankfully), but in email discussion with a friend of mine in Bavaria he noted that Alaba has moved to Hernandez' spot at left center back for now so they can keep Davies out there, which is quite a compliment, and he has completely justified the decision.  Kimmich is playing more in a Lahm sort of role - with Thiago in the defensive midfield.  

I only got to watch a little of the Bayern game, but from what I saw people need to settle down just a bit on Davies.  Yes, he had a great game and looks incredibly dangerous in attack.  However, Chelsea had ample opportunities to put balls in behind Davies when possession changed hands and Mount and Barkley lacked the speed/decision making to make and sustain those runs.

Had CP, or even CHO played on the left side yesterday, I have zero doubt that they would've attacked that weakness relentlessly with their speed and likely scored multiple times due to Davies' defensive lapses.

So... my take...  Davies is absolutely a world class attacking FB, but until he also can say the same about defense, then I can't/won't call him a top 5 FB in the world.

That Chelsea team on the field yesterday isn't a top 10 side in England, much less Europe.  Don't know if it's all injuries or just lack of talent at important positions, but Chelsea has a lot of work to do to get to Bayern's level right now.

encaitar said:
I only got to watch a little of the Bayern game, but from what I saw people need to settle down just a bit on Davies.  Yes, he had a great game and looks incredibly dangerous in attack.  However, Chelsea had ample opportunities to put balls in behind Davies when possession changed hands and Mount and Barkley lacked the speed/decision making to make and sustain those runs.

Had CP, or even CHO played on the left side yesterday, I have zero doubt that they would've attacked that weakness relentlessly with their speed and likely scored multiple times due to Davies' defensive lapses.

So... my take...  Davies is absolutely a world class attacking FB, but until he also can say the same about defense, then I can't/won't call him a top 5 FB in the world.

That Chelsea team on the field yesterday isn't a top 10 side in England, much less Europe.  Don't know if it's all injuries or just lack of talent at important positions, but Chelsea has a lot of work to do to get to Bayern's level right now.
So you're saying Davies lacks the speed to be a top FB? :confused:

Bayern know they hit the motherload here

=============

@iMiaSanMia

Bayern want to extend Alphonso Davies' contract for 5 more years with a significant pay rise. First talks have already taken place. Davies' current contract expires in 2023 with no release clause

That was kinda my point...he's lightning fast. Having guys get behind him wouldn't be my concern for him.
I know, I was agreeing with you and showing an example.  

People always complain about attacking full backs being out of position but it comes with the territory and coaches understand this.  Davies gives a coach an extra tactical weapon in that he can recover 30+ yards when needed.

I know, I was agreeing with you and showing an example.  

People always complain about attacking full backs being out of position but it comes with the territory and coaches understand this.  Davies gives a coach an extra tactical weapon in that he can recover 30+ yards when needed.
You could say he's almost yedlinesque

Atlanta, NYCFC and Montreal all advance in CCL play, putting MLS teams 3 for 3 so far into the quarter finals.

The Montreal-Saprissa game was a WOOF.  I hate when one team needs only one goal and one team just needs to prevent any goals.  The entire game was Montreal defending with compact lines and Saprissa never figuring it out.  Ended up 0-0 which was enough for Montreal.

Tigres advances after being seconds away from the biggest upset in CCL history as little Alianza from ELS went into Mexico and got the 2 away goals they needed but they just couldn't hang on.   Tigres scored in the 94th minute to advance.  And to make matters even worse for ELS, it was the Tigres keeper who scored the winner off a free kick header.  Just nuts :)

https://streamable.com/pkw4x

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're saying Davies lacks the speed to be a top FB? :confused:
Not at all.  Davies clearly has insane recovery speed, however.....  he was caught up field multiple times that game and if another guy with world class speed(aka Pulisic or CHO) would've had the ball then, he'd have cost his team with the way he was out of position.  His world class speed, on the other hand, allowed him to recover versus guys like Barkley and Mount though.

What I'm saying is he's susceptible to counter from world class wingers.(although that could probably be said about any FB)

El Floppo said:
@otb_lifer rangers through to next round of Europa and back to making the old firm what it was. While they're still far off Celtics lead, Rangers are at least back to second and likely back being innit to winnit for the future.
good lookin' out/notebook  :hifive:

we're visiting summer of '21 (for my daughter's Sweet 16), damn straight i'm aiming for a sit at one of the matches. 

Maybe somebody better informed than me can explain why Zidane subbed off Vinicius last night just when he had Walker/Otamendi/Rodri about convinced that they couldn't deal with him. V is a horse on that wing.

OTOH, very nice substitution by Pep getting Sterling in there when he did. And while my tactical understanding remains at the novice level, it seems that City changed things up in the second half when their old Barca-light possession game was proving ineffectual. Big gamble going toe to toe with Real, who probably love an open game reliant on speed and innovation as much as anyone in the world. And City did it better. Big win.

Europa to reach 16s..

Wolves through on 2-3 loss.

Rona! through.

Wolfsburg (and Brooks) through

Arsenal and United up next along with Celtic, inter and Ajax

Europa to reach 16s..

Wolves through on 2-3 loss.

Rona! through.

Wolfsburg (and Brooks) through

Arsenal and United up next along with Celtic, inter and Ajax
United through with a 5-0 (6-1) beating of Brugge.  Brugge down to 10 men 30 mins in as their defender mistook himself for a keeper and made a great diving save (Intentional handball in the box to deny a goal).  Bruno, Ighalo, McT, Fredx2 all with goals.

Arsenal to extra time.

United through with a 5-0 (6-1) beating of Brugge.  Brugge down to 10 men 30 mins in as their defender mistook himself for a keeper and made a great diving save (Intentional handball in the box to deny a goal).  Bruno, Ighalo, McT, Fredx2 all with goals.

Arsenal to extra time.
Auba in the 113th. Can they hang on?

roadkill1292 said:
Maybe somebody better informed than me can explain why Zidane subbed off Vinicius last night just when he had Walker/Otamendi/Rodri about convinced that they couldn't deal with him. V is a horse on that wing.

OTOH, very nice substitution by Pep getting Sterling in there when he did. And while my tactical understanding remains at the novice level, it seems that City changed things up in the second half when their old Barca-light possession game was proving ineffectual. Big gamble going toe to toe with Real, who probably love an open game reliant on speed and innovation as much as anyone in the world. And City did it better. Big win.
Vinicius doesn't have all the tools calibrated yet, but he constantly creates danger.  Real is struggling to figure out how to adapt to their injuries/aging.  Barca is the same way.  The clasico is going to be interesting, but not pretty. 

Users who are viewing this thread