Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

They had the opportunities to get a 2 goal lead and just screwed it up.  Bruno was off, Pogba with the giveaways.  Martial played well. 

Big chance blown.

:goodposting: several chances to extend th lead.  Fatigue got them I think.

3 goal difference in GD sounds little but with 2 games to make it up it may just completely come down to that last match.

25 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Just feels like a loss

If you really want to know about losses, ask a Spurs fan.

Will be interesting to see if there's any rumblings about Ole if they don't make CL.  Hard to give the guy too much grief considering they haven't lost since January but like you said, this feels like a loss and it comes in the biggest game they've had since the restart. 

One more thing - I hated the way they played the last 10 minutes, just absorbing the pressure.  I get it being down to 10 men but man they were just asking for it.

12 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

3 goal difference in GD sounds little but with 2 games to make it up it may just completely come down to that last match.

Leicester has Sheffield and Tottenham before United
United has Palace and West Ham before Leicester

Anything can happen and I expect it will come down to the final day.  Chelsea is probably the most relieved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Will be interesting to see if there's any rumblings about Ole if they don't make CL.  Hard to give the guy too much grief considering they haven't lost since January but like you said, this feels like a loss and it comes in the biggest game they've had since the restart. 

One more thing - I hated the way they played the last 10 minutes, just absorbing the pressure.  I get it being down to 10 men but man they were just asking for it.

The #OLEOUT grumblings haven't stopped but fate is in their hands now, so if they do not get CL then it may get louder. Now it will be about lack of rotating guys for 5 games.  I would hate to see it though.  He has changed the team for the better.  You can see it, even after going 1 down, they still came back. The next lesson is taking the opportunities when others give it.  Then a window to add quality depth so when guys don't have it or are fatigued, you have similar quality waiting to come on.

Sometimes you have to grind one out and hold on.  Today was that day.  And they were there except for 1 final mistake.   Was that caused by losing Shaw/Williams?  Maybe.  But thats where good teams see it out.

• Like 1

Just now, B Maverick said:

The #OLEOUT grumblings haven't stopped but fate is in their hands now, so if they do not get CL then it may get louder. Now it will be about lack of rotating guys for 5 games.  I would hate to see it though.  He has changed the team for the better.  You can see it, even after going 1 down, they still came back. The next lesson is taking the opportunities when others give it.  Then a window to add quality depth so when guys don't have it or are fatigued, you have similar quality waiting to come on.

Sometimes you have to grind one out and hold on.  Today was that day.  And they were there except for 1 final mistake.   Was that caused by losing Shaw/Williams?  Maybe.  But thats where good teams see it out.

I'm all for keeping him where he is - he's earned it.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Just feels like a loss

Think about this for a moment.  For the last 6 years or so, this was expected and you knew a loss or draw was coming.  Now you are at the point where giving up a goal that late for a draw feels like a loss. 

Progress that winning from that position is expected again.  Its a good feeling and why Ole is the man for the job.

LC have looked like they're going the wrong way. Despite the result today, United have looked improved and more likely to win than lose. Two big points lost today, but I'd still give them the edge.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I think United will make CL - either via the league, or winning Europa.

They deserve the spot on current form, today's result notwithstanding.

• Like 2

Wigan Athletic, whose new owner apparently forced into receivership in a bid to have the club relegated, beat Hull City 8-0 today.  Wigan were bottom of the table at Christmas, but now may survive even if they are assessed the 12 point deduction for going into administration. (it will be tough though)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Wigan Athletic, whose new owner apparently forced into receivership in a bid to have the club relegated, beat Hull City 8-0 today.  Wigan were bottom of the table at Christmas, but now may survive even if they are assessed the 12 point deduction for going into administration. (it will be tough though)

What exactly was the story there?  I never really followed it - I knew they brought in new owners, then went into administration, but never followed up on the details.

5 minutes ago, The Gator said:

What exactly was the story there?  I never really followed it - I knew they brought in new owners, then went into administration, but never followed up on the details.

A couple years ago, the club was sold by its long-time owner to a Hong Kong based company associated with major gambling operations.  In June, it was sold to another Hong Kong based company, seemingly with ties to the seller.  The new owners put the club in administration a month later, which would mean a 12 point deduction if they finish outside the bottom 3 at the end of the season.  Why would anyone buy a club in June then put them in administrative a month later?  The official explanation is "because Covid". The rumors are there were some large unusual bets placed on Wigan being relegated in the Asian betting markets.

https://twitter.com/marksparko/status/1279000646335836163

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pulisic looks like a veteran player out there.

He has really grown into a must-start player for Chelsea.  Hopefully he brings that type of leadership to the USMNT.

12 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Pulisic looks like a veteran player out there.

He has really grown into a must-start player for Chelsea.  Hopefully he brings that type of leadership to the USMNT.

The Chelsea attack is completely toothless without him.

Oh!!!..CP made that look so much easier than it was

• Like 1

No pukki party please.

Perfectly British commentary at the final whistle - "Chelsea have met the minimum requirements."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

31 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Perfectly British commentary at the final whistle - "Chelsea have met the minimum requirements."

Well said, really. They never looked likely to lose, but they also didn't do a whole lot to win. If not for CPs moments of magic and some decent combining with Giroud, they weren't going to score.

And it was another game where their press seemed to work, but they created nothing from it- sloppy and flat.

• Like 2

####### NBC.  There's no Fire app for 'Peacock' and I can't even watch the game on the Fire browser.  So I have to download an app to watch today's games on my phone/tablet and then share it to my TV?  Seriously, how stupid.  

#### you NBC.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

####### NBC.  There's no Fire app for 'Peacock' and I can't even watch the game on the Fire browser.  So I have to download an app to watch today's games on my phone/tablet and then share it to my TV?  Seriously, how stupid.  

#### you NBC.  

:wall:

Looks like its not on Roku either.

I just received an email from NBCSports:

PREMIER LEAGUE PASS UPDATE

We want you to hear it from us first – the Premier League Pass content moves to Peacock Premium for the 2020-21 Premier League season.

Due to this platform change, we will not auto-renew your subscription.

Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered for the rest of this season - but as of July 31, 2020, the Premier League Pass will no longer be available on NBC Sports Gold.

I'm not seeing "peacock" on Google play store either.

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I'm not seeing "peacock" on Google play store either.

Ah...so it's not an app? You have to sign up and stream it through your browser? 

Of course, I'm now not seeing live content like today's games...only recorded stuff.

16 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

#### you NBC.  

I am hoping for something here.

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Ah...so it's not an app? You have to sign up and stream it through your browser? 

Of course, I'm now not seeing live content like today's games...only recorded stuff.

Nm...found the app. 

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Nm...found the app. 

Is the PL content free for today, or do you need to sign up for premium?

5 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Is the PL content free for today, or do you need to sign up for premium?

Looks like you can sign up free to watch today...not sure about the rest of the season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Looks like you can sign up free to watch today...not sure about the rest of the season.

I think its free for today and is only a 1 day event to help the launch.  The rest of the season will be NBCSports and Gold, with gold moving to Peacock next season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Well, then that probably beats a dodgy Russian stream

hmmm...

I already like the quality of the feed better than the NBCSN feed.

I'm just pissed that I can't even watch through browser on my Fire Stick.  Streaming on a phone/tablet and sending it to the TV is much lower quality.

####### wankers.

• Laughing 1

this is even bigger BS than the original switch to NBC gold.

• Thanks 1

:shrug:

I would pay some money to NBC - if they could guarantee I could watch all the games for the team of my choosing.

The Peacock streaming format appears to be light years ahead of the old NBCSN format - with was flash, and won't be capable of being viewed on a chrome browser after this year.

• Like 2

only downside is that there is no "natural" sound available for the game

Yedlin doing Yedlin defending type of things.

9 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Yedlin doing Yedlin defending type of things.

at least he's playing, though.

wonder where he'll end up next season.

Men in Blazers@MenInBlazers

Harry Kane's goal was Giroud-esque. Or what a Giroud goal would look like if it was not scored by a Super Model

:lol:

37 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Men in Blazers@MenInBlazers

Harry Kane's goal was Giroud-esque. Or what a Giroud goal would look like if it was not scored by a Super Model

:lol:

Hope he wasn't hurt.  My fantasy team also hopes he's not hurt.  

I was going to make a joke about the Visit Rwanda sign but then i realized they might have a travel ban in place for Floridians

:kicksrock:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, The Gator said:

I would pay some money to NBC - if they could guarantee I could watch all the games for the team of my choosing.

I don't mind paying for certain things.  But when they won the contract and their marketing was all about being able to watch every game (using NBCSN, CNBC, NBC, etc) every week then slowly moving things behind pay walls.... NBC Gold and now peacock.  Just feels like a slow moving bait and switch.

6 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

I don't mind paying for certain things.  But when they won the contract and their marketing was all about being able to watch every game (using NBCSN, CNBC, NBC, etc) every week then slowly moving things behind pay walls.... NBC Gold and now peacock.  Just feels like a slow moving bait and switch.

amen

I would consider paying money for that 'Redzone' type broadcast they do sometimes when multiple games are on at once.  I remember one Boxing Day when they did that and it was heaven.  

39 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

My understanding is that you would not have to pay for both Gold and Peacock.  They moved games to Peacock today as a way of getting people to signup for Peacock.  It was free, and easy (just like Ned's mom).

I have not paid for Gold, or League Pass, or whatever they call it now.  But, I might be enticed to pay for Peacock Premium - if it guarantees I can watch all the matches I want, and not just the ####ty matches (even though there will probably be about 38 ####ty matches I want to watch next season).

As I noted above the NBCSN viewer on the computer runs on flash, and is really a bad viewer, and won't work on Chrome after this year.  The Peacock site is clearly designed for heavy duty streaming - so my assumption is that all of NBC's products will be moving to that platform.  And, so I expect that instead of gold next season, you pay for Peacock Premium - and get PL , plus whatever else NBC offers under the premium banner.

But, I have not looked at any of the details yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Gator said:

My understanding is that you would not have to pay for both Gold and Peacock.  They moved games to Peacock today as a way of getting people to signup for Peacock.  It was free, and easy (just like Ned's mom).

I have not paid for Gold, or League Pass, or whatever they call it now.  But, I might be enticed to pay for Peacock Premium - if it guarantees I can watch all the matches I want, and not just the ####ty matches (even though there will probably be about 38 ####ty matches I want to watch next season).

As I noted above the NBCSN viewer on the computer runs on flash, and is really a bad viewer, and won't work on Chrome after this year.  The Peacock site is clearly designed for heavy duty streaming - so my assumption is that all of NBC's products will be moving to that platform.  And, so I expect that instead of gold next season, you pay for Peacock Premium - and get PL , plus whatever else NBC offers under the premium banner.

But, I have not looked at any of the details yet.

This is my understanding too.  First taste is free, the rest you have to pay for.....

Gold is gone and the League Pass will be contained under Peacock Premium.  I did pay for Gold since there were always 3 or so United games I couldn't watch without it.  At $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year I may look into it, depending on what else is offered. 

I wonder if there is a viable option for them to do a per team package?  I guess it depends on if you can access the free games on Peacock as well as reg tv.  Never checked to see if gold allowed you to watch the tv broadcasted games as well.

In any case, I was more complaining about NBC slowly moving some games behind paywalls when their first two or three seasons had all the games on regular tv.

• Thanks 1

For United, I'd be less concerned about the 3 league matches that would be on Gold, and more about the FA (and I think League Cup) matches that are on ESPN, plus the CL matches that will be on CBS (I think).

We cut the Cable many years ago, but when I think of all the streaming services we pay for- its no longer a cost-cutting measure.  Its simply the way content is best delivered now, and into the future.

But, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney, ESPN, Peacock, CBS Sports - it all adds up.  And I am back to why I hated paying for cable - too many things I'll never watch, and yet I am indirectly paying for.

6 minutes ago, The Gator said:

For United, I'd be less concerned about the 3 league matches that would be on Gold, and more about the FA (and I think League Cup) matches that are on ESPN, plus the CL matches that will be on CBS (I think).

We cut the Cable many years ago, but when I think of all the streaming services we pay for- its no longer a cost-cutting measure.  Its simply the way content is best delivered now, and into the future.

But, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney, ESPN, Peacock, CBS Sports - it all adds up.  And I am back to why I hated paying for cable - too many things I'll never watch, and yet I am indirectly paying for.

:goodposting:

Yeah I was yelling about CBS and BR earlier....

But this is the matchday thread, why aren't people talking about Liverpool gifting Arsenal 2 goals? (Which is ok, as long as LP beats Chelsea next week)

Posted (edited)

Pffftt...Premier League.  What a bunch of cockwombles.

Edited by Kafka

4 minutes ago, Kafka said:

Pffftt...Premier League.  What a bunch of cockwombles.

Big fan of Scünthorpe United?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

This is my understanding too.  First taste is free, the rest you have to pay for.....

This sounds like my crystal meth dealer.

• Laughing 1