Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread

6 minutes ago, The Gator said:

I hope Liverpool win, but that Chelsea get to 4-3, so that Lampard has to answer questions about leaving Pulisic on the bench to start the game.

Your crystal ball looks pretty good thus far...

• Like 1

Hi Frank, those other players suck. but this CP kid seems ok, but american. is that why you're an idiot?

• Like 2

This does not matter to most of you - but there are a couple of games in our fantasy league with top-4 implications that are hanging by a delicate balance right now...

Just now, The Gator said:

This does not matter to most of you - but there are a couple of games in our fantasy league with top-4 implications that are hanging by a delicate balance right now...

Please, post your rooster.

• Thanks 1

(and ftr, I don't think Frank's an idiot)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Gator said:

Oh really?

(Btw, I got screwed by rotations this week.  AWB and Mendy being rested really hurt me and I had no alternatives.)

Just now, AAABatteries said:

Please, post your rooster.

Fortunately my team is not directly impacted here.

But 1 v. 2 are now separated by 0.27 points.  (I need #1 to win here, and lose next week...)

And Poke was a long shot, but is now a Pulisic assist/goal away from keeping a top-4 spot.

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

(and ftr, I don't think Frank's an idiot)

No, but he has shown to prefer work rate and pressing ability over offensive threat, which is baffling to me at times.  Pulisic might be the most dangerous attacker in the EPL since the restart.  He should absolutely be the first name on the team sheet if he's healthy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Oh really?

(Btw, I got screwed by rotations this week.  AWB and Mendy being rested really hurt me and I had no alternatives.)

:shrug: You could have started Basham, and you would be winning right now...

1 minute ago, The Gator said:

SHU played Monday.  I did not know Monday that Mendy would not play on Tuesday.  

:kicksrock:

well damn.

so lethal

5 minutes... still enough time for CP to score a couple.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, encaitar said:

No, but he has shown to prefer work rate and pressing ability over offensive threat, which is baffling to me at times.  Pulisic might be the most dangerous attacker in the EPL since the restart.  He should absolutely be the first name on the team sheet if he's healthy.

Does he want Lingard?  Gives you lots of work rate and nothing more....

Watching the replay and Kepa absolutely should've saved that.  

Just now, B Maverick said:

Does he want Lingard?  Gives you lots of work rate and nothing more....

Lingard would absolutely be at the top of Frank's team sheet given what I've seen.  

• Laughing 1

Since the break:

Kepa 13 saves, 15 goals conceded.

That does not seem very good.

• Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, encaitar said:

I personally think the anti-American theory is just silly.  Lampard's first and only goal is to win games.  Of course us biased fans will always disagree with the teamsheet. That's normal and expected.  

• Like 3

Kepa it's not very good

2 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I personally think the anti-American theory is just silly.  Lampard's first and only goal is to win games.  Of course us biased fans will always disagree with the teamsheet. That's normal and expected.  

And Lamps should have to answer lots of questions after the game about why CP did not start.

32 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

Everyone is watching the trophy presentation on ESPN+ right now, right?

Didn't watch that one but just in case anybody was wondering, I won't be watching this one either - I don't want to puke all over my living room.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Is that a real thing?  I just assumed it was all a joke - at least in here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AAABatteries said:

Didn't watch that one but just in case anybody was wondering, I won't be watching this one either - I don't want to puke all over my living room.

Leeds (Leeds Leeds) players are walking the stands with the Crowdies now

• Like 1

Wow, ibattle of the top 6 on Sunday:

#3 United 63 / +28 vs #5 Leicester 62 / +28

#4 Chelsea 63 / + 13 vs #6 Wolves 59 / +13

2 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I don't think Pulisic was on the bench today because of anti-Americanism, but I do think there was a period at the start of the season, where Pulisic had not proved himself, and Lampard was not giving him the benefit of the doubt - and part of that was rooted in I-don't-think-Americans-can-play-at-this-level.

But, Pulisic has proven he can not only play at this level, he will be a star at this level.

• Like 1

Just now, Jaysus said:

Does this mean there will be more murders in the stand next season?  If fans are allowed in of course.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

Is that a real thing?  I just assumed it was all a joke - at least in here.

I think historically its been true but more recently  has become an ongoing joke since the US has had recent people show they can play.

16 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Today couldn't possibly have gone worse for me.  Cost me the league barring a miracle next week.

2 goals scored in the United-West Ham game.....my opponent had both of them. (although I did get the assist from Martial)

Bruno Fernandez takes a late yellow.

Poga puts the nail in the coffin by conceding the penalty that leads to the Antonio goal.

Decided to play Mark Noble because I couldn't guarantee that Abraham would play. (Figured  ~2 points guaranteed was better than potentially nothing, expecting I'd get at least a goal  out of Martial, Pogba and Fernandez) Noble does nothing, Abraham scores.

and just to finish me off, late assist for Robertson.

I mean, I'd won like 12 straight games, so :ptts: but still.   Sucky way to lose, as basically zero chance either of the other 2 contenders lose next week.

8 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

And Lamps should have to answer lots of questions after the game about why CP did not start.

I expect he won't feel a need to answer any such questions with anything more than a standard coach's cliche.

1 minute ago, TLEF316 said:

Today couldn't possibly have gone worse for me.  Cost me the league barring a miracle next week.

2 goals scored in the United-West Ham game.....my opponent had both of them. (although I did get the assist from Martial)

Poga puts the nail in the coffin by conceding the penalty that leads to the Antonio goal.

Decided to play Mark Noble because I couldn't guarantee that Abraham would play. (Figured  ~2 points guaranteed was better than potentially nothing, expecting I'd get at least a goal  out of Martial, Pogba and Fernandez) Noble does nothing, Abraham scores.

I mean, I'd won like 12 straight games, so :ptts: but still.   Sucky way to lose, as basically zero chance either of the other 2 contenders lose next week.

I was rooting for you!

After you beat me last week, my only real chance was for you to win this week, and lose next week. But, I think this is definitely  @McBokonon's to lose.

1 minute ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I expect he won't feel a need to answer any such questions with anything more than a standard coach's cliche.

He's gotten his lineup mostly right this season.  There's no way I thought Chelsea would've had a chance at top 4 after losing Hazard, but Frank's been good.  If Chelsea can scrap a point on Sunday then Frank deserves coach of the year votes IMO.  Still shocking to see Pulisic on the bench today.  Maybe he wasn't 100% still.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Gator said:

I don't think Pulisic was on the bench today because of anti-Americanism, but I do think there was a period at the start of the season, where Pulisic had not proved himself, and Lampard was not giving him the benefit of the doubt - and part of that was rooted in I-don't-think-Americans-can-play-at-this-level.

But, Pulisic has proven he can not only play at this level, he will be a star at this level.

I would just say once again that I don't think this season could possibly have gone any better for Pulisic, Lampard and Chelsea.  Even today, he started in the same formation that produced a great result on Sunday, with Mount having a fantastic MOTM performance against United, then brings on Pulisic as a super-sub with immediate effect.  I think he got it perfect.  Liverpool are just too good, and made Chelsea suffer for their defensive mistakes. 

• Like 2

Just now, encaitar said:
4 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

He's gotten his lineup mostly right this season.  There's no way I thought Chelsea would've had a chance at top 4 after losing Hazard, but Frank's been good.  If Chelsea can scrap a point on Sunday then Frank deserves coach of the year votes IMO.  Still shocking to see Pulisic on the bench today.  Maybe he wasn't 100% still.

That could be it.  Whatever the reason, this restart has been crazy with these games every 3-4 days.  Fantastic performances to beat Man City and Leicester, then lose to West Ham 3-2. Run off a couple more wins, then lose to Sheffield United 3-0.  The players' fitness and manager's plan are very hard to read from our vantage point on the couch, and I think we have to give the guy some deference (as you've done.)  We really have no basis to question a lineup decision in retrospect.  

6 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I would just say once again that I don't think this season could possibly have gone any better for Pulisic, Lampard and Chelsea.  

Well... I am not going to go so far as to disagree, however, can you imagine what it would have been like without the plethora of injuries...

18 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:
28 minutes ago, The Gator said:

I would just say once again that I don't think this season could possibly have gone any better for Pulisic, Lampard and Chelsea.  Even today, he started in the same formation that produced a great result on Sunday, with Mount having a fantastic MOTM performance against United, then brings on Pulisic as a super-sub with immediate effect.  I think he got it perfect.  Liverpool are just too good, and made Chelsea suffer for their defensive mistakes. 

Totally agree

Lamps has said repeatedly that CP came in without a break, and having to adjust to the physical demands of the EPL. Not concerned about him starting CP slow at the beginning of the season.

There was an article recently about the work CPs been doing with the chels training staff that CP has credited with his explosion post covid. That, combined with just getting used to a new team, teammates, country, etc...all makes sense imo.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

Well... I am not going to go so far as to disagree, however, can you imagine what it would have been like without the plethora of injuries...

Today is the kind of game where Kante might have made a difference in the midfield.  Maybe not a 2 goal difference (and it could have been more), but they could have used a disrupter in front of the back line.  That said, everyone has injuries and is hurting at this point in the season and I can't say Chelsea have been hit particularly hard.

Just filthy.  Filthy.  

The commitment on the  initial turn on the run for the assist was new.

1 hour ago, Sammy3469 said:

Just filthy.  Filthy.  

The commitment on the  initial turn on the run for the assist was new.

Yeah...Gator's really changed since Covid.

• Laughing 3

Pulisic has played a ton since the break, maybe not 100%, I think it made perfect sense to start with him on the bench today. This weekend is the one that really matters and he’ll be starting 

CP was SO ####### good today.

Almost didn't watch the 2nd half but was hoping CP would sub in. What a great 2nd half of soccer. 🔥 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Pulisic has played a ton since the break, maybe not 100%, I think it made perfect sense to start with him on the bench today. This weekend is the one that really matters and he’ll be starting 

I disagree - not that getting any result against Liverpool is easy but you only have two league games left.  He’d have a week to rest - they only need one point.  If Lampard sat him to rest him I think that was a mistake - although it seemed to be tactics.

5 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

Man, this sounds brutal.

9 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Totally agree

Lamps has said repeatedly that CP came in without a break, and having to adjust to the physical demands of the EPL. Not concerned about him starting CP slow at the beginning of the season.

There was an article recently about the work CPs been doing with the chels training staff that CP has credited with his explosion post covid. That, combined with just getting used to a new team, teammates, country, etc...all makes sense imo.

He's had 10 goals and 10 assists in all comps this year.  I think any US fan would've signed up for that in a heartbeat coming in to the season.  Given that he only started 22 games and played in 32......     WOW!   Unbelievable.   

Now, the goal for the future is to find a way to get him 45 games a year(maybe 36 starts).   I can fully envision him finding 35 g/a if that happens.  Good god that'd be fun to watch as a US fan.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, The Gator said:

Quit Basham him for it.

On 7/22/2020 at 5:09 PM, Jaysus said:

Dirty Leeds

2 minutes ago, Kafka said:

Dirty Leeds

Done Dirt Cheap

I forgot Rio went to United from Leeds like Cantona did.  Thanks Leeds

• Laughing 1

not sure why he's surprised 

@BrianSciaretta: Frank de Boer out in Atlanta. Whoa

• Thinking 1

27 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

not sure why he's surprised 

@BrianSciaretta: Frank de Boer out in Atlanta. Whoa

Bit of a wow for me too. 

Seemed like the unloaded their better players (ATL fans- confirm?), but are now expecting to do just a well?