Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Mike Williams, Chargers

2 hours ago, tangfoot said:

It's not snark, JWB.  @ILUVBEER99 made an asinine blanket statement. You know that kind of cheap analysis is bull####.  Every situation is unique and requires specific data points to determine whether or not it is relevant.  To just blurt out that highly drafted rookies who get injured simply need to get healthy is useless.

You're kind of missing the point.  What i meant was you shouldn't judge a player who hasn't really even played because of injury.  Especially when that guy was a top 10 NFL draft pick.  Once the guys you listed (Laquon Treadwell, John Ross, Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson) actually got to play they still didn't show much.  Also, for the most part they weren't considered elite franchise type players coming into the NFL.  They were solid prospects, but not elite like Mike was coming into the league.

As another poster mentioned, Big Mike has shown more elite level skills in 3 games than any of the ones you listed. 

The book is obv still out on him, but so far so good now that he's actually on the field playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SameSongNDance said:

@Just Win Baby

If Allen sits, does Tyrell move into the slot? I think Allen technically has/had the best match-up this week against K'Wuan Williams and I would want to exploit it. Of course I'd start Mike too. 

I’m not sure about that. I don’t recall Tyrell getting many, if any, snaps in the slot in 2016 when Allen was out. I would think Benjamin, Gates, and Ekeler would split most of the slot snaps.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

You're kind of missing the point.  What i meant was you shouldn't judge a player who hasn't really even played because of injury.  Especially when that guy was a top 10 NFL draft pick.  Once the guys you listed (Laquon Treadwell, John Ross, Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson) actually got to play they still didn't show much.  Also, for the most part they weren't considered elite franchise type players coming into the NFL.  They were solid prospects, but not elite like Mike was coming into the league.

As another poster mentioned, Big Mike has shown more elite level skills in 3 games than any of the ones you listed. 

The book is obv still out on him, but so far so good now that he's actually on the field playing.

:goodposting: 

2 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

Also, for the most part they weren't considered elite franchise type players coming into the NFL.  They were solid prospects, but not elite like Mike was coming into the league.

Just for clarity, I think you're misusing the word "elite" here.  Williams was considered to be a prototypical franchise receiver a la Julio, AJ Green, etc.  But "elite" receivers come in all shapes and flavors (Hopkins, Brown, etc).

If that's what you're trying to say then I agree.

29 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

This was far from a consensus opinion. 

Just now, FF Ninja said:

This was far from a consensus opinion. 

Pretty much all respected scouting sites had him as a top level prospect.  

A lot of FF people didn't view him that way though. 

4 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

Pretty much all respected scouting sites had him as a top level prospect.  

A lot of FF people didn't view him that way though. 

I recall reading some scouts saying it was a bad reach for the chargers. I mostly recall the talking heads hyping him just as they always hype key players on championship teams.

3 hours ago, jtd13 said:

I'm pretty heavily invested in BMW in dynasty, but I can't shake the feeling that early this year is a sell-high point. I think I am just gunshy from my recent poor experience with young WRs, but my concern is he's more flashy highlight plays (granted a lot of them in 3 weeks) without the target or snap share to keep it up when everyone is healthy. 

I'd really love to see him finally out snap Tyrell this week. 

I don't get this 

22 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

I don't get this 

The shores are littered with the remains of guys who flashed a bit here and there but never made the leap to stardom.  The most common reason that happens is injury, but there's plenty of other reasons as well.

We all get overly excited when one of the guys we draft goes off on a huge stretch.  You want to ride it out thinking you've got the next Julio, but the odds are actually better that you've got the next Ruben Randall.

From a pure profit-taking perspective, right now is a tremendous time to get a healthy return.  I refuse to own any player named Mike Williams (as a long-time beaten down, suffering Lions fan), but even I'd put it about 2/1 that his value will still increase going forward.  The biggest obstacle he has going forward (from a dynasty perspective) is the healthy return of Hunter Henry.

• Like 1

So Keenan and Benjamin will play.  How do we feel about Mike at this point?

My feeling is that Williams is still a fairly strong play against a weak pass D and hopefully Keenan can at least distract coverage and not be able to fully get open.

Edited by Long Ball Larry

7 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

My feeling is that Williams is still a fairly strong play against a weak pass D and hopefully Keenan can at least distract coverage and not be able to fully get open.

I'm about ready to flip a coin between him and Callaway at my 2nd flex spot.  Benjamin being back and the chance that the Chargers get up big and the 49ers can't move the ball have me leaning towards Callaway at this point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Invisible. Not sure single catch. 

6 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

So anyway...

maybe he could start kicking and grab a Few points that way.

Just now, JuniorNB said:

Invisible. Not sure single catch. 

From what I have seen, Rivers seems like he is getting pretty locked in on his first read and/or going to Gordon.  But I may have that wrong.

Just seems like there are too many other targets here for Mike to be a reliable start.   Big fan here and will roll him out there in a flex with bye weeks coming, as needed.

So this week he's got the Raiders, who have a poor pass D and have been particularly susceptible to big plays.  Their safeties are old and slow.  Benjamin is out.

I am leery about rolling him out after getting squat last week and leaving Ridley and Davis on the bench, but I am getting quite tempted to put him in again.

• Like 2

Hes a WR3 in an offense that is very pass heavy.  Weapons in an Offense with Rivers at the helm are league winners.  Unfortunately for MW Gordon is eating healthy and Allen is and has been Rivers favorite WR target.  Fortunately Gates is is at the end of the road so there is some room for MW.

Its going to take some time but he is the most talented WR 2 Rivers has had and should be a very good WR for years to come.  Last game he was getting his looks and there was a missed TD hookup if i'm not mistaken

If anyone were to miss some time in the offense that is eating targets currently.....look out

Pulled him at the last minute last week. :D

Of course I proceeded to roll with Kenyan Drake instead :X

He's not really an option for me this week even with the Benjamin news. Unless he truly explodes with high volume and efficiency he is likely on my bench all year behind Josh Gordon and Mark Ingram. If he keeps up with low volume/high TD then maybe he will have value as part of a trade.

My biggest problem with him are his criminal lack of targets (6,2,7,3). He may be talented but it's all about pecking order. I felt the same way about Tyrell when I owned him in the past but I think Mike is well beyond Tyrell as a complete receiver at this stage.

I'm starting him this week over Shepard @ Carolina only because of match ups.

• Like 1

Just traded him and Chris Carson for Henry.

12 team PPR super-flex redraft wr/te combined.

Steep price IMO but @Futz hit it for me. He seems very underutilized. And I think Tennessee is quitely turning the corner. No one is really talking about how they defeated two of the top four finishers from last year.

On 10/6/2018 at 2:25 AM, in2win said:

Hes a WR3 in an offense that is very pass heavy.  Weapons in an Offense with Rivers at the helm are league winners.  Unfortunately for MW Gordon is eating healthy and Allen is and has been Rivers favorite WR target.  Fortunately Gates is is at the end of the road so there is some room for MW.

Its going to take some time but he is the most talented WR 2 Rivers has had and should be a very good WR for years to come.  Last game he was getting his looks and there was a missed TD hookup if i'm not mistaken

If anyone were to miss some time in the offense that is eating targets currently.....look out

Yeah I ended up leaving him on the bench mainly for these reasons.  The targets still just seem too volatile, so while I think his upside is as really upper echelon any given week, his EV is just not quite there for me right now.

22 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Just traded him and Chris Carson for Henry.

12 team PPR super-flex redraft wr/te combined.

Steep price IMO but @Futz hit it for me. He seems very underutilized. And I think Tennessee is quitely turning the corner. No one is really talking about how they defeated two of the top four finishers from last year.

Ouch. That may leave a mark.

2 hours ago, Futz said:

Ouch. That may leave a mark.

Oh #### I just embarked on a Danube river cruise today. No Sunday Ticket  access. Did I miss something? Because I thought I was complimenting you.

3 hours ago, Chaka said:

Oh #### I just embarked on a Danube river cruise today. No Sunday Ticket  access. Did I miss something? Because I thought I was complimenting you.

Not me but the trade. I wouldn't have done it.

4 catches for 60 yards (7 targets) and three yards rushing over the past two weeks. 

Calm before the storm or flash in the pan hot start to the season?

10 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

4 catches for 60 yards (7 targets) and three yards rushing over the past two weeks. 

I wanna say the rest of the year will be like this.   Up and down, Never comfortable starting.  

6 hours ago, Futz said:

Not me but the trade. I wouldn't have done it.

Gotcha. Clearly it didn't pan out today as Tennessee looks as schizophrenic as ever.

But Williams was my WR4 and Carson was my RB5 so I feel that can weather a swing for the fences on Henry turning it around.

He is the 4th or 5th receiving option on a team with a lot of weapons.  It is going to be up and down.

16 hours ago, tangfoot said:

My vote is flash.

Maybe next year when Tyrell is gone... but it'll be hard to trust any third option with Keenan and Henry around.

Definitely too many mouths to feed in this offense. Tyrell Williams & Melvin Gordon are both final year of contract but it'd be pretty surprising to see Gordon leave via FA... if he does Ekeler doesn't have the size you'd normally see for a true workhorse. BMW owners need to see T. Williams leave and it wouldn't hurt to see Benjamin cut (final year 2019 cap hit @ 6+M and only 1+ penalty). Keenan is signed to a very reasonable deal so he's likely to play that out (10M per for 2019 & 2020). Hunter returning will hurt, too... It really needs to be a 3 man show without a stud RB for me to feel really positive about BMW as anything more than a high-upside, low floor WR that isn't P.Riv's favorite binky. A breakout, game-dominating performance maybe puts him in Rivers' crosshairs more? Tough situation... good offense with lots of weapons making the pieces a lot like the Rams - own the QB/RB or suffer the weekly variance. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

Definitely too many mouths to feed in this offense. Tyrell Williams & Melvin Gordon are both final year of contract but it'd be pretty surprising to see Gordon leave via FA... if he does Ekeler doesn't have the size you'd normally see for a true workhorse. BMW owners need to see T. Williams leave and it wouldn't hurt to see Benjamin cut (final year 2019 cap hit @ 6+M and only 1+ penalty). Keenan is signed to a very reasonable deal so he's likely to play that out (10M per for 2019 & 2020). Hunter returning will hurt, too... It really needs to be a 3 man show without a stud RB for me to feel really positive about BMW as anything more than a high-upside, low floor WR that isn't P.Riv's favorite binky. A breakout, game-dominating performance maybe puts him in Rivers' crosshairs more? Tough situation... good offense with lots of weapons making the pieces a lot like the Rams - own the QB/RB or suffer the weekly variance. 

Agreed with everything until you mentioned the rams. Offenses aren't close. Rams have 5 guys you can comfortably start every week. Chargers have 3. 

3 minutes ago, packer_junkie said:

Agreed with everything until you mentioned the rams. Offenses aren't close. Rams have 5 guys you can comfortably start every week. Chargers have 3. 

Fair point. The Rams WRs definitely have higher floors. 

It will probably be next year for BMW.   Tyrell clearly appears to have re-established himself as the #2 WR in LA.   

34 minutes ago, dcgangstas said:

It will probably be next year for BMW.   Tyrell clearly appears to have re-established himself as the #2 WR in LA.   

As he should.  He is very good.  

Edited by DocHolliday

Mike Williams was not targeted in the Chargers' Week 10 win over the Raiders.

He did not gain anything on one carry. Philip Rivers attempting just 25 passes did not help, but Williams made almost no impact in this game. He has now seen four or fewer targets in six straight contests, and he has caught one or fewer passes in five of those. He is not worth rostering in redraft formats.

Nov 11 - 7:10 PM

Mike Williams (groin) was added to the Chargers' injury report on Thursday, getting in a limited session.

The WR5 will likely play through it, but it is something to monitor if you've been forced to use Williams during this week's six-team bye week.

Nov 15 - 5:48 PM

14 hours ago, Faust said:

Fantastic. Thought I was being slick with this guy being a throw in on a trade for Tom Brady. 

Williams (groin) doesn't carry an injury designation into Sunday's game against the Broncos after practicing fully Friday, Eric D. Williams of ESPN.com reports.

Is this guy worth a start this week vs Bungles, especially if you are an OBJ owner who just got blind-sided yesterday? I also have DJ Moore, who right now I am leaning towards, and already am starting Justin Jax in my flex. I like Williams ability and situation but he’s just been so volatile.

19 minutes ago, BigBlue_RI said:

Is this guy worth a start this week vs Bungles, especially if you are an OBJ owner who just got blind-sided yesterday? I also have DJ Moore, who right now I am leaning towards, and already am starting Justin Jax in my flex. I like Williams ability and situation but he’s just been so volatile.

I'd play DJ and not look back. The Bolts might not need to throw much in this one.

My .02 cents

DJ > M Williams is the play that makes the most cents .02. Williams gets so few targets and total yards, but a Red Zone target. Chargers up early and Justin runs out the clock in the 4th.