What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Williams, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Mike Williams Poised For Red-Zone Success

Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Mike Williams could be a serious breakout candidate this season. With the team moving on from Tyrell Williams this offseason, Mike Williams is now the clear-cut No. 2 wideout on the roster, and owners should expect that he'll see liberal use on game day. Williams made huge leaps last year, especially in the red zone, and with running back Melvin Gordon now continuing to hold out, Williams is expected to see even more chances. It's a prime situation for the young receiver, and he'll get his first crack at it on Sunday when the team faces the Colts. Expect big things from him this year.--Billy Stonick - RotoBaller

I haven't heard a single thing about this since it happened, and I didn't see it or hear any kind of analysis whatsoever. Is it bad? Did he come back into the game? Any insights here?

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

As if the Hunter Henry knee injury weren’t problematic enough, Chargers’ HC Anthony Lynn said today he is concerned about WR Mike Williams’ knee as well.

Gilbert Manzano @GManzano24

Anthony Lynn was asked if he's concerned about Mike Williams' availability for Sunday: “Absolutely. We signed a wide receiver (Anthony Johnson). Just in case. Just don’t know.” #Chargers

Bump Inman

I'm actually thinking Travis Benjamin is the play here.  I know he's the intermittent deep threat, but several factors make me think he is a possible good stash here.

A - Remember when Benjamin blew up for 4-5 weeks a year or two back? He has posted big numbers before, and much like DeSean Jackson and players of that ilk, he only needs a play or two.

B - Injury concerns (and other miscellaneous factors)....and its a laundry list.    HUNTER HENRY gone, Melvin Gordon gone until later...AT BEST, Eckeler could well go down at any minute as he hasn't proven to be the bastion of health in his career.... INMAN has only flashed at times.

C - KEENAN ALLEN - Uhh, his injury concerns deserve the letter "C" all their own.   Imagine if Allen gets another injury.  I see the appeal of Inman in that sense, but give me the big play guy Benjamin, especially if Mike Williams is gimpy.

This could well all blow over in a week or two, but as a Williams owner in 2 leagues I'm getting trigger finger thinking about Benjamin.

TZM

Strange that they haven't said what it is. By Wed you usually have a sense of what the injury is. Maybe a mild MCL sprain?

I'm actually thinking Travis Benjamin is the play here.  I know he's the intermittent deep threat, but several factors make me think he is a possible good stash here.

A - Remember when Benjamin blew up for 4-5 weeks a year or two back? He has posted big numbers before, and much like DeSean Jackson and players of that ilk, he only needs a play or two.

B - Injury concerns (and other miscellaneous factors)....and its a laundry list.    HUNTER HENRY gone, Melvin Gordon gone until later...AT BEST, Eckeler could well go down at any minute as he hasn't proven to be the bastion of health in his career.... INMAN has only flashed at times.

C - KEENAN ALLEN - Uhh, his injury concerns deserve the letter "C" all their own.   Imagine if Allen gets another injury.  I see the appeal of Inman in that sense, but give me the big play guy Benjamin, especially if Mike Williams is gimpy.

This could well all blow over in a week or two, but as a Williams owner in 2 leagues I'm getting trigger finger thinking about Benjamin.

TZM
This is a pretty bad take.

This is a pretty bad take.
And that is a pretty bad justification as to why.

Regardless, Mike Williams was extremely TD dependent last year. I was fortunate to snag him as my WR3 in 2 leagues, unfortunately, both are PPR leagues.

But like I said, this (and Williams injury) could well blow over in a week or two.  I never said I thought Benjamin was a long term answer, and I'll never think so. But as a short term fill in for Williams if he misses time,  he may be a band-aid solution.

The leagues I play in are "START 3WRS" and the majority of owners are reasonably on top of things.  All these waiver wire flashes of the week are long gone. Players like DJ Chark, Hollywood Brown, John Ross, Terry Mclaurin,  DK Metcalf, ............ ALL these types of players are long gone in my leagues.

So desperate owners are looking at the Travis Benjamins and Preston Williams-es of the world. In MY leagues anyway.

I know most leagues are of the "start 2 WRs + flex" variety, but our waiver wires are already barren. In deeper leagues, Benjamin may be worth a speculative add.

TZM

EDIT - I wrote he was "TD dependent" last year........ Thats not a good way of putting it.

I think he was a bit TD "heavy" last year.  I believe he had 10 TDs, and I feel that might have been a touch high.  I'm expecting more in the 6-8 range.

TZM

Coach Anthony Lynn told reporters Friday that Mike Williams (knee, questionable) is a game-time decision for the Chargers' Week 2 matchup against the Lions.

Lynn specifically noted, "I just need to see that he can go out and play, and not hurt himself ... He has a couple more days, so we'll go day by day." Lynn also didn't reject the idea that Williams could be on a snap count if active. Williams is incredibly difficult to trust this week in any fantasy format. Expected the Chargers' passing game to heavily flow through Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler with Hunter Henry (knee, out) and potentially Williams sidelined.

SOURCE: Eric Williams on Twitter.

Sep 13, 2019, 3:26 PM ET

Mike Williams (questionable, knee) is expected to play Week 2 against the Lions.

ESPN's Adam Schefter is hearing Williams, who closed the week with a limited practice after logging absences on both Wednesday and Thursday, will be limited to red-zone work Sunday in the Motor City. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport wasn't as rosy on Williams' outlook, calling him a true game-time decision, though the third-year receiver supposedly looked "good" at Friday's practice and escaped structural damage to his injured knee. Williams' presence, even in a limited capacity, comes as a downgrade to Keenan Allen, who will already have his hands full going against All-Pro corner Darius Slay.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 15, 2019, 7:58 AM ET

Mike Williams caught 3-of-7 targets for 45 yards in the Chargers' Week 3 loss to the Texans.

Williams looked healthier Sunday than he did in Week 2, but he ultimately continued to work well behind Keenan Allen (17 targets) in Philip Rivers’ pecking order. Rivers sailed a pass out of the back of the end zone on Williams’ most fantasy-friendly target of the afternoon. The Chargers have clearly emphasized Williams as a key red-zone option with Hunter Henry sidelined, although their tendency to not feed him any type of high-percentage targets will continue to make him a bit of a boom-or-bust option moving forward. The good news is that things could lean towards the ‘boom’ side of business in next week’s matchup against the Dolphins.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:11 PM ET

Mike Williams (back) did not practice Wednesday.

Williams has had serious back issues in the past, but the primary injury he's been playing through in 2019 has been a knee issue. The Chargers haven't commented on the injury, and it could just be minor, but it's definitely worth monitoring on Thursday and Friday. The Chargers have been riding Keenan Allen and Mike Williams through three weeks, and Williams has just missed out on bigger games.

SOURCE: Chargers on Twitter

Sep 25, 2019, 6:38 PM ET

Mike Williams (back) remained sidelined on Thursday.

It is not a good sign that Williams' back issues have returned. A "limited" Friday practice would change things, but he is on the wrong side of questionable for Sunday's road trip to Miami. With Travis Benjamin (hip) also sidelined, the Bolts could be extremely thin behind usage superstar Keenan Allen.

Sep 26, 2019, 6:41 PM ET

Mike Williams (back) won't suit up Sunday against the Dolphins.

Travis Benjamin (quad) is doubtful. Keenan Allen is expected to work with Dontrelle Inman and Geremy Davis in 3-WR sets. Inman is set up well against the Dolphins' underwhelming secondary CBs, as Xavien Howard is expected to shadow Allen. Of course, the Chargers' No. 1 WR is plenty capable of dominating this matchup, and Allen figures to continue to see an absurd amount of targets with each of Williams, Benjamin and Hunter Henry (ankle, out) sidelined.

SOURCE: Chargers on Twitter.

Sep 27, 2019, 2:33 PM ET

Mike Williams (back) was limited in practice on Wednesday.

This is a positive first step for Williams, who missed Week 4 because of this injury. Williams' injury is still a concern since he has battled a back issue for seasons now, but this limited practice gives him a shot at playing Week 5 against the Broncos. Williams' practice report on Friday should dictate whether Williams suits up or not. Travis Benjamin (hip) was also limited on Wednesday.

SOURCE: Chargers on Twitter

Oct 2, 2019, 7:02 PM ET

"Paging A.J Green's GM........A.J. Green's GM to the white courtesy phone, please."

Last edited by a moderator:
He feels like one of those guys that will burn up a roster spot for years and never amount to anything.   Hopefully I am wrong but I wish I would have sold him sometime in the last year.

He feels like one of those guys that will burn up a roster spot for years and never amount to anything.   Hopefully I am wrong but I wish I would have sold him sometime in the last year.
He is extremely talented but you cant show off that talent on the sidelines.  I was hoping for big things this year from him in redraft, now I'm just wishing he has a big game or two and I can unload him.

Mike Williams (back) got in another "limited" practice on Thursday.

Williams appears poised to return after missing Week 4. He will be a low-end WR3 for the Bolts' hosting of the Broncos.

Oct 3, 2019, 6:29 PM ET

Mike Williams (back, questionable) told ESPN's Eric Williams that he'll suit up Sunday against the Broncos.

Specifically, Williams said, "I'm playing. I'm solid." The Chargers will welcome back Williams with open arms considering Dontrelle Inman (quad, IR) is out for the foreseeable future and Travis Benjamin (quad) is sidelined. Mike will continue to dominate red zone usage as long as Hunter Henry (knee) also remains out of the picture. He's set up well this week against a Broncos defense that is expected to shadow Keenan Allen with Chris Harris.

SOURCE: Eric Williams on Twitter.

Oct 4, 2019, 4:39 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Mike Williams (back) is expected to play in Week 5 against the Broncos.

It's a sigh of relief as the Chargers will likely be without both Dontrelle Inman (quad, IR) and Travis Benjamin (quad, doubtful). With Broncos shutdown corner Chris Harris expected to follow Keenan Allen around the field, Williams' 6'4/218 frame will come in handy both downfield and in the red zone. He's RotoPat's WR42 for Week 5.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 6, 2019, 1:23 AM ET

(deleted) 

dont want a particular charger fan to get all hot and bothered from facts 

Schefter reported today that there was concern about his knee from the Chargers
another charger made of glass. was on my avoid list. I dont draft 24 year olds with herniated discs 

He has a knee issue right now, which has nothing to do with a herniated disc. Are you congratulating yourself here?
no. just pointing out it's not his first go around with injuries. hes not a very reliable fantasy asset 

You may actually have been right about an injury in this forum (though missing 1 of 4 games so far might be a bit early to call it). But I know that is a rarity. So... congratulations?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread