What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Williams, NYJ (1 Viewer)

massraider said:
I like Williams a lot, but man, there are three dudes there that can get 8-10 targets a game, and no one would be surprised. 
Totally agree.  Rivers threw so much last year.  Must have been top 3rd.  I will be shocked if any pass catcher other than Henry will be that will be consistent.  I do think Taylor will take his shots though,  so I'd like Williams in best ball formats.

I traded Tee Higgins for him and a 2021 2nd right after a startup. Funny enough, the guy took Williams one pick before I took Higgins. 

I don't feel great about the trade, but I wanted to recoup some future rookie picks that I traded during the startup. 

Is Tyrod Taylor bad news for the fantasy outlooks of Austin Ekeler, Hunter Henry, and Keenan Allen?

Excerpt:

#FantasyHotTaek

Liz: Hunter Henry leading all receivers in targets is the hottest I can get with this squad. However, I think we should talk a bit about Mike Williams. It’s hard to imagine him skimming his ceiling with a checkdown artist like Taylor under center. However, when Herbert — who has a cannon — eventually takes his place as the starter then Williams’ red zone potential should sky. For 2020 I don’t foresee Williams reeling in more than 6 spikes, but for managers in keeper leagues, I’d anticipate double-digit TDs in 2021.

Chargers WR Mike Williams landed hard on an incomplete pass in practice and underwent tests on his shoulder. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Williams' collarbone "checked out fine" after the injury scare, and that the team believes it's not a serious injury. It sounds like Williams escaped a long-term injury. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 23, 2020, 3:43 PM ET

Chargers HC Anthony Lynn said WR Mike Williams (shoulder) could miss the team's season opener. 

NFL Network reports Williams' timeline is 2-4 weeks. Williams' absence would put a damper on Tyrod Taylor's early season prospects, while possibly opening up some targets for Keenan Allen. Williams remains week to week after landing hard on his shoulder during a diving attempt at practice. He remains a reasonable bench stash in hopes he'll return to full health sooner rather than later. 

SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter

Aug 25, 2020, 12:22 PM ET

Chargers OC Shane Steichen was optimistic that Mike Williams (shoulder) will be ready to play in Week 1.

"I think Mike has got that mindset to be ready to play," Steichen said. "We look forward to having him on September 13." Jalen Guyton has worked behind Keenan Allen in the interim, but it sounds as if Williams is leaning towards being available for the Chargers' opener in Cincinnati. The 25-year-old's red zone prowess keeps him as a high-upside flier at his current Average Draft Position (15.01) since his injury discount is baked in.

SOURCE: Gilbert Manzano on Twitter

Sep 3, 2020, 1:09 PM ET

The Athletic's Daniel Popper reports that the Chargers are "preparing for the possibility to playing a majority of September without" WR Mike Williams (shoulder).

Popper added that this was "despite the recent public optimism" around Williams' quick recovery from his AC Joint injury. The Chargers also kept six receivers on their final roster, furthering casting doubt on Williams playing in their first few games. Joe Reed would play a significant role in the offense if Williams misses time. Los Angeles selected the versatile weapon with the No. 151 overall pick in this year's draft. Reed topped out at 679 receiving yards at Virginia but added some rushing production and scored on five kick returns. Look for him to get involved in a number of ways early in his career.

RELATED: 

Joe Reed

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 5, 2020, 8:16 PM ET

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said Mike Williams (shoulder) will "likely" be a game-time decision for Week 1 against the Bengals.

Williams managed to avoid injured reserve to open the year, but the Chargers did keep six receivers on the active roster to prepare for life without him. That aligns with The Athletic's Daniel Popper's recent report that the team is "preparing for the possibility to playing a majority of September without" Williams. Even if the 25-year-old is (surprisingly) available for Sunday, fantasy players can't possibly trust him for his normal amount of reps. Joe Reed and Jalen Guyton would be involved if Williams is declared inactive.

SOURCE: Joe Reedy on Twitter

Sep 7, 2020, 4:41 PM ET

Mike Williams (shoulder) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice. 

The Chargers have already said Williams will be a game-time call for Sunday's sojourn to Cincinnati. With the Bolts breaking in conservative new QB Tyrod Taylor, Williams isn't worth waiting on as a potential WR4/5. Make other Week 1 plans. 

Sep 10, 2020, 6:25 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Mike Williams (shoulder) is out for Week 1 against the Bengals.

This was the expectation among beat reporters, including The Athletic's Daniel Popper who believes Williams could be out "most of September." Williams will need to get in a full practice before confidently starting in fantasy lineups. For now, he's a bench stash with WR3/4 upside whenever healthy. We'll see how the Chargers offense operates with Tyrod Taylor at quarterback and Jalen Guyton as the No. 2 receiver.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 13, 2020, 12:08 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Mike Williams (shoulder) is out for Week 1 against the Bengals.

This was the expectation among beat reporters, including The Athletic's Daniel Popper who believes Williams could be out "most of September." Williams will need to get in a full practice before confidently starting in fantasy lineups. For now, he's a bench stash with WR3/4 upside whenever healthy. We'll see how the Chargers offense operates with Tyrod Taylor at quarterback and Jalen Guyton as the No. 2 receiver.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 13, 2020, 12:08 AM ET
"Williams now likely to play" per Rapoport and Schefter

Mike Williams caught 4-of-9 targets for 69 yards in the Chargers' Week 1 win over the Bengals.

There was bad reporting from both local and national media members about Williams' health. He was able to play most snaps and popped up without much visible pain after a handful of big falls in the season opener. Williams' shoulder appears to be stable right now, which puts him back in the flex mix. With Tyrod Taylor at quarterback, Williams will have bust weeks this season, but his big-play ability makes him a fantasy asset in the right matchups. The Chargers will need those big plays to hang with the high-powered Chiefs in Week 2.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Williams (shoulder) said he emerged from Sunday’s game setback-free.

Williams added he feels “more explosive” after a full week of practice. There were reports Williams would miss most of September, but he’s managed to play through a sprained shoulder. Williams had a team-high nine targets last week and should have a pass-heavy gamescript for a Week 2 matchup with the Chiefs.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 18, 2020, 11:53 AM ET

Mike Williams hurt and and looks like the right shoulder he hurt in camp per Daniel Popper says he can’t move it

Mike Williams (hamstring) remained sidelined at Chargers practice Thursday. 

Williams is looking like a long shot to suit up against the Bucs after pulling up lame vs. the Panthers. If for some reason you had Williams plugged into your WR4 spot, begin looking elsewhere. We should have final word by Friday.  

Oct 1, 2020, 4:38 PM ET

Chargers WR Mike Williams (hamstring) remained sidelined for Friday's practice.

Williams isn't expected to suit up after missing practice throughout the week. Backup WR Jalen Guyton came off the bench for 63-of-78 snaps in Week 3 and will likely replace Williams in a tough spot against the Buccaneers. Keenan Allen remains the direct beneficiary without Williams as the former has led the league in target share since Justin Herbert took over for Tyrod Taylor under center.

SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter

Oct 2, 2020, 1:07 PM ET

Anyone know how significant his hammy is?

Sitting in waivers and wondering with Ekeler out if he gets more play especially now with Herbert catching fire and a nice schedule ahead.

Could b a sneaky add this week while everyone stumbles over Tim Patrick and Scotty Miller.

Anyone know how significant his hammy is?

Sitting in waivers and wondering with Ekeler out if he gets more play especially now with Herbert catching fire and a nice schedule ahead.

Could b a sneaky add this week while everyone stumbles over Tim Patrick and Scotty Miller.
Thinking the same thing in Leagues where he was dropped. I mean, if Herbert can sling it 70 and 50 to Guyton and Tyron Johnson, he has to be salivating as to what he could do with Williams.

Mike Williams (hamstring) was limited in practice Friday.

It's an upgrade from yesterday's DNP, but all eyes will be on Saturday's final injury report. It's likely that Williams is deemed questionable and a game-time call for Monday Night Football. In theory, Williams is an ideal fit with Justin Herbert on vertical shots, but his production will be hit and miss with Keenan Allen soaking up an NFL-high 36% target share. Williams is a no-floor WR4 while dealing with injuries.

SOURCE: Chargers on Twitter

Oct 9, 2020, 6:54 PM ET

Chargers WR Mike Williams (hamstring) is "trending upward" to play Monday night against the Saints. 

Williams is listed as questionable. If he can go against New Orleans, he'll be a volatile WR4 play at risk of in-game injury. If Williams is inactive against the Saints, Jalen Guyton -- who played 85 percent of the team's Week 4 snaps and caught a long touchdown on his lone target -- is a last-ditch fantasy option in deeper formats. 

RELATED: 

Jalen Guyton

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Oct 12, 2020, 11:58 AM ET

Mike Williams (hamstring) is active for Week 5 against the Saints Monday night.

Williams was trending in the right direction all week, and the extra day got him the green light. Williams should be treated as a boom-bust WR3. Inactive for the Chargers are QB Tyrod Taylor, WR Jason Moore, WR Joe Reed, S Jahleel Addae, RG Trai Turner, RT Bryan Bulaga, and DE Joe Gaziano.

Oct 12, 2020, 7:02 PM ET

Mike Williams caught 5-of-8 targets for 109 yards and two touchdown in the Chargers' Week 5 loss to the Saints.

Playing through a hamstring injury, Williams posted his first 100-yard game of the season and secured his first two touchdowns of the year, catching four- and 64-yard scores. The 64-yarder was a busted coverage by CB Patrick Robinson. Williams made another incredible sideline grab late in the fourth quarter with the game tied 27-27 and five seconds to play. Mike Badgley missed the 50-yard field goal that would have won the game. Williams will be a WR3 next week against the Jets and would get a boost up the ranks if Keenan Allen (back) is unable to play.

Oct 12, 2020, 11:42 PM ET

Thinking the same thing in Leagues where he was dropped. I mean, if Herbert can sling it 70 and 50 to Guyton and Tyron Johnson, he has to be salivating as to what he could do with Williams.
Then like a dummy I didn't follow my own advice. Why do I play this game again? Self-inflicted pain? 

Would think local media would be looking at it at least. Bye week may not bring much news though.

He looks pretty darn good out there, this could be the start of a run if he can stay healthy.

Agreed. It didn't look good, but do we know if he walked off the field fine?

As for no reporting, I think you're right that no news is good news, but you never know - reporting was probably focused elsewhere after that wild game. Plus the team has a bye week ahead.
After the post game celebrations / handshakes the camera did cut back to Williams. He was walking unassisted and seemed to be fine. He was shaking his head but as far as I could tell he looked more upset about not getting the first down than his knee.

Total speculation here but my best guess is that not only will he not miss any games, I actually think he’ll enter his next game (week 7) healthier than he entered this one. 

His head smacked off the turf on that great grab to set them up for the FG try too, rough night for him physically. Hopefully the week off does wonders.

His head smacked off the turf on that great grab to set them up for the FG try too, rough night for him physically. Hopefully the week off does wonders.
Almost every catch this guy makes seems rough for him physically, poor dude rarely gets an easy one.

Users who are viewing this thread