What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Williams, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Amused to Death said:
He went 1.09 in my recent 10 team standard scoring rookie draft.
Went 1.7 (to me!) In .5ppr 14-team. I know guy after me was gonna take him but he traded down when he knew I wanted him. Otherwise he could have fallen to 9/10 easily. 

I took him 1.6 over Mixon in dynasty.  A little regret today, but I am needy at WR and stacked at RB.  All aboard.

Otis said:
I took him 1.6 over Mixon in dynasty.  A little regret today, but I am needy at WR and stacked at RB.  All aboard.
I play in the same dynasty league as Otis.  He is using "stacked" very loosely here.  

I laughed.  First RB pair that came to mind was Hyde/Abdullah.  Am I close?
He's actually rolling with David Johnson (superb, granted), Hyde, Derrick Henry and Tarik Cohen.  18-man rosters, no PPR.  

Otis also drafted Doriel Green-Beckham last night.  Psyched that he was available.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got him at 4.03 in a keeper league draft where 12 teams keep 8 players each and the rest get thrown back and the draft consists of those thrown back players and the incoming rookies. 

Couldnt resist him at that point when he was still there

He's actually rolling with David Johnson (superb, granted), Hyde, Derrick Henry and Tarik Cohen.  18-man rosters, no PPR.  

Otis also drafted Doriel Green-Beckham last night.  Psyched that he was available.  
You would like to have more depth but DJ, Hyde and Henry is a pretty talented trio for the top of a dynasty RB roster. As for DGB, lol. Also, I don't think the Mike Williams pick helps his dynasty team much either. 

Just got him at 4.03 in a keeper league draft where 12 teams keep 8 players each and the rest get thrown back and the draft consists of those thrown back players and the incoming rookies. 

Couldnt resist him at that point when he was still there
Same format as us. You're lucky Otis isn't in your league. 

Anyway, I had a shot at MW, but opted for John Ross instead.  Maybe I deserve a public flogging regarding this.  Yes?

Anyway, I had a shot at MW, but opted for John Ross instead.  Maybe I deserve a public flogging regarding this.  Yes?
Well...in my dynasty league, I traded for Tyrell Williams  (gave the 13th rookie pick (used on S. Perine)) from the new Mike Williams owner.

Thus, I won't be flogging ya.

Well...in my dynasty league, I traded for Tyrell Williams  (gave the 13th rookie pick (used on S. Perine)) from the new Mike Williams owner.

Thus, I won't be flogging ya.
Any remorse considering Matt Jones was recently cut?  Looks like Perine will be getting lots of time now.

**sorry for hijack**

Any remorse considering Matt Jones was recently cut?  Looks like Perine will be getting lots of time now.

**sorry for hijack**
Well, I began a rebuild last year, thus, I had 9 rookie picks in the 1st three rounds...including:

1.01 - C. Davis

1.02 - L. Fournette

1.04 - D. Cook

1.10 & 3.04 - Traded for D. Adams - GB

2.01 & 3.01 - Traded for C. Hyde - I'm a believer in him

2.02 - Traded for T. Williams - as mentioned above

2.04 - D. Njoku

I already had A. Abdullah, and I picked up J. Williams - Buf, in the 4th round...thus, I feel ok with my RB's at present. I needed more help at WR.

EDIT: Oh...I also have Rex Burkhead (picked up last season)...but NE RB's always worry me.

In fairness I wanted to draft T.O. or David Boston in that slot but we didn't have a sticker for them.   DGB was the closest I could get to what I was looking for.

Well, I began a rebuild last year, thus, I had 9 rookie picks in the 1st three rounds...including:

1.01 - C. Davis

1.02 - L. Fournette

1.04 - D. Cook

1.10 & 3.04 - Traded for D. Adams - GB

2.01 & 3.01 - Traded for C. Hyde - I'm a believer in him

2.02 - Traded for T. Williams - as mentioned above

2.04 - D. Njoku

I already had A. Abdullah, and I picked up J. Williams - Buf, in the 4th round...thus, I feel ok with my RB's at present. I needed more help at WR.

EDIT: Oh...I also have Rex Burkhead (picked up last season)...but NE RB's always worry me.
fantastic draft!

Love Tyrell long term, but that was a bit pricey.  

Whatevs.  Wouldn't lose sleep over that.  Tyrell could beast it again. Easily. 
IF Mike Williams pans out is there really much to look forward to with Tyrell?   I'm not sure about Keenan's contract but if him/MWill/H.Henry are around don't see much upside with Tyrell.

IF Mike Williams pans out is there really much to look forward to with Tyrell?   I'm not sure about Keenan's contract but if him/MWill/H.Henry are around don't see much upside with Tyrell.
Unless he lights it up.  Guys like that don come off the field. 

Unless he lights it up.  Guys like that don come off the field. 
true.  Just hard to judge Tyrell when he was the only show in town last season.  Keenan was hurt, Henry was a rookie, and they didn't have a #7 overall WR draft pick on the team.

true.  Just hard to judge Tyrell when he was the only show in town last season.  Keenan was hurt, Henry was a rookie, and they didn't have a #7 overall WR draft pick on the team.
Kid is the real deal imo.  He will flourish in this offence.   He is going to get soft coverage.  A lot.  Colour me optimistic. 

Kid is the real deal imo.  He will flourish in this offence.   He is going to get soft coverage.  A lot.  Colour me optimistic. 
you could very well be right.  i'm kinda indifferent on Tyrell, this season will be huge in defining his outlook.

Love Tyrell long term, but that was a bit pricey.  

Whatevs.  Wouldn't lose sleep over that.  Tyrell could beast it again. Easily. 
Yeah, both of us were a little uncomfortable with the deal...which is usually said to be a good thing...that is, both sides leaving the deal not entirely satisfied.

But, to relate this to M. Williams, I have gone through a lot of early 1st round WR's in my dynasty days. Some panned out great...others, not so great. With the likes of Zay Jones already drafted, I was comfortable trading my 2.02 for a guy who had already produced a very good season in his 2nd year.

If Williams can get healthy and come back strong, there is definite risk in this WR corp, imo...regarding target share.

Of course, things could change in 2018...in dynasty, I am willing to take that risk.

I'm avoiding TWilliams in all drafts this year.  Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there is a reason the Charger FO took a WR with their high first rounder this year, when there were other obvious gaping holes on the roster. Rivers doesn't have faith in TWilliams and I think when MWilliams is healthy enough to be active, TWilliams will be the 6th or 7th best receiving option on this team.  (Allen, Gates, Henry, MWilliams, TBenjamin, Gordon, TWilliams)

I'm avoiding TWilliams in all drafts this year.  Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there is a reason the Charger FO took a WR with their high first rounder this year, when there were other obvious gaping holes on the roster. Rivers doesn't have faith in TWilliams and I think when MWilliams is healthy enough to be active, TWilliams will be the 6th or 7th best receiving option on this team.  (Allen, Gates, Henry, MWilliams, TBenjamin, Gordon, TWilliams)
It seems you are talking redraft. Assuming so, no way Mike Williams (who will miss 4-6 weeks) or Benjamin will get more targets than Tyrell, assuming Tyrell is healthy this season. Also very seriously doubt that both Gates and Henry will get more targets, though collectively TEs will get more... and very seriously doubt that Gordon will get more targets, though collectively RBs will get more. In terms of number of targets per individual player, and again assuming he remains healthy, Tyrell could be as high as #2 this season and could be as low as #4.

Chargers WR Mike Williams (back) has resumed catching passes, but isn't running routes "full speed."

Williams avoided the reserve/PUP list to begin the season, but seems unlikely to be ready before Week 4 or 5. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport previously reported the Bolts were targeting an October return for their first-rounder. Sunday falls on Oct. 1 in Week 4.

Source: Jack Wang on Twitter 

Sep 7 - 3:39 PM

Chargers WR Mike Williams (back) returned to practice Friday.

Williams is out for Week 2, but it's his first practice since going down at OTAs. This puts him on track to beat his October timetable. Williams figures to have a limited role when healthy.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter 

Sep 15 - 4:45 PM

Really quiet in here. Anyone 3-0 looking to stash this guy? He has been practicing all week(non contact) waiting to be cleared. I think we are looking at a early October debut. 

Weebs210 said:
Really quiet in here. Anyone 3-0 looking to stash this guy? He has been practicing all week(non contact) waiting to be cleared. I think we are looking at a early October debut. 
He's entered my head this week. I think back to picking up Beckham for free in 2014 in very similar circumstances, and what impact that had. Of course, the likelihood might be small as Rivers has other good targets, but he's a mildly interesting free pickup right now 

He's entered my head this week. I think back to picking up Beckham for free in 2014 in very similar circumstances, and what impact that had. Of course, the likelihood might be small as Rivers has other good targets, but he's a mildly interesting free pickup right now 
I'd grab him in redraft for sure if you have the room. I'm pretty stoked in dynasty that he might actually be able to contribute for the playoff stretch.

Weebs210 said:
Redraft or dynasty? For redraft, I seriously doubt he is worth rostering this season. For dynasty, I would not expect him to be available; he isn't available in any of my leagues.

The "might" is based on him actually being on the field. I drafted him thinking he was going to go on IR so the fact it seems likely he's a game day active in October is gravy for me.
The point of my question is that he seems to be behind at least 3 WRs, 2 TEs, and 1 RB. So how valuable can he be?

It is going to be very difficult to start anyone in the passing game besides Allen and Rivers for awhile.

So, just to be clear, you are suggesting the Chargers spent the 7th pick in the draft to backup Travis Benjamin?

Until he's on the field he's behind 50 guys. The day he hits the field, I don't think that's still the case.
What they envisioned when they drafted him with the #7 pick is irrelevant, since at that time they presumably expected him to be a full participant in training camp, preseason, and the regular season. He hasn't even made it back to full practice yet.

Even before he got hurt, I felt all along that the role he was likely to have in the offense this year was being overrated, with Allen and Benjamin expected to be healthy. Whether or not he would have been behind Tyrell and Benjamin, both of them if healthy were going to get enough targets to cap Mike's targets.

And you well know that the Chargers do not make smart use of their draft picks, so the fact that they drafted him at #7 doesn't carry a lot of weight. I felt then and now that it was a bad pick.

Users who are viewing this thread