What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Williams, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Allen's contract goes through 2020, but there's an out after 2018.

Benjamin's through 2019, but he could be dumped at the end of the year.

Tyrell is an RFA after this year.

Henry is around until after 2019 season, but Gates is likely done at the end of the year.

If Williams isn't a bust, I think it's likely that he's the #2 option come 2018.

The Chargers have made Benjamin and Tyrell fantasy relevant at points. There's no doubt that if Williams is a player, he will e fantasy relevant as well.

His back injury concerns me more than the 7th round spot he was drafted.  I don't question talent and opportunity.  But that back has so many concerns and questions.  Do they ease him in first year?  Will it flare up?  I was an owner of Eifert.  We see how that went.  Back injuries are no joke.  This is the same back injury that was supposed to put him out the entire year.

Allen's contract goes through 2020, but there's an out after 2018.

Benjamin's through 2019, but he could be dumped at the end of the year.

Tyrell is an RFA after this year.

Henry is around until after 2019 season, but Gates is likely done at the end of the year.

If Williams isn't a bust, I think it's likely that he's the #2 option come 2018.

The Chargers have made Benjamin and Tyrell fantasy relevant at points. There's no doubt that if Williams is a player, he will e fantasy relevant as well.
Gates and Benjamin will be gone next season. Other targets should all return.

Hopefully with Mike playing some late this season to gain experience and then remaining healthy into next season, he could be #2 or #3 on the team in targets next year, depending on how much Henry is targeted. I'm assuming Allen will continue to be #1 in targets.

However, the Chargers are missing a strong pass catching RB right now. When healthy, Woodhead added another dimension to the offense that really helped, and I could see the Chargers drafting/obtaining a strong pass catching RB to complement Gordon this offseason. That would increase targets to RBs and decrease targets to WRs.

Regardless, I felt from the start that Mike's real fantasy value begins in 2018, not 2017, and the injury only solidified that thinking.

Gates and Benjamin will be gone next season. Other targets should all return.

Hopefully with Mike playing some late this season to gain experience and then remaining healthy into next season, he could be #2 or #3 on the team in targets next year, depending on how much Henry is targeted. I'm assuming Allen will continue to be #1 in targets.

However, the Chargers are missing a strong pass catching RB right now. When healthy, Woodhead added another dimension to the offense that really helped, and I could see the Chargers drafting/obtaining a strong pass catching RB to complement Gordon this offseason. That would increase targets to RBs and decrease targets to WRs.

Regardless, I felt from the start that Mike's real fantasy value begins in 2018, not 2017, and the injury only solidified that thinking.
I don't think anyone will accuse you of going out on a limb capping MW's 2017 production based on everything that has happened to date. The point is there is a Top 10 WR asset with, let's say, a 10% chance of producing starter numbers down the stretch. Seems like a reasonable low-risk bet to take if you are in a deep league and have the roster space.

I don't think anyone will accuse you of going out on a limb capping MW's 2017 production based on everything that has happened to date. The point is there is a Top 10 WR asset with, let's say, a 10% chance of producing starter numbers down the stretch. Seems like a reasonable low-risk bet to take if you are in a deep league and have the roster space.
"Starter numbers" is a vague term. If you are suggesting that he could produce as a top 36 WR and thus could be starter worthy in December in leagues that start 36+ WRs, that is certainly possible.

I don't really care about going out on a limb, but I posted right after the draft in this thread that I thought his impact would be limited this season, and that before his injury was known. I thought from the start there were too many others competing for targets, many of whom would be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Plus, his primary skill is winning contested catches, which suggests a need for a certain level of trust with Rivers, and he has had zero time with Rivers to build that to date.

Look, as a Chargers fan, I hope you're right.

Didn't OBJ miss the majority of the offseason leading up to his rookie year before coming in late and having one of the best rookie years ever?

Obviously no one is expecting Williams to be anything near OBJ but I think it goes to show that while it does sometimes matter, sometimes guys just click and training camp and all of that stuff ends up being moot.  Not that it's likely or anything, but it's a possibility.

Didn't OBJ miss the majority of the offseason leading up to his rookie year before coming in late and having one of the best rookie years ever?

Obviously no one is expecting Williams to be anything near OBJ but I think it goes to show that while it does sometimes matter, sometimes guys just click and training camp and all of that stuff ends up being moot.  Not that it's likely or anything, but it's a possibility.
That is one thing that pops into my mind when thinking of Williams.  I remember waiting too long to move on OBJ that year thinking that he would have limited impact due to being activated so late.  There aren't many OBJ's, if any, but MW certainly has a high pedigree and draft slot.

That is one thing that pops into my mind when thinking of Williams.  I remember waiting too long to move on OBJ that year thinking that he would have limited impact due to being activated so late.  There aren't many OBJ's, if any, but MW certainly has a high pedigree and draft slot.
he also seems really injury prone.  i would let someone else waste a spot on him

Thoughts on this guy?  Anybody stashing?  I've read comparisons to Mike Evans or Deandre Hopkins.,  Hopefully he will do better than all the other guys named Mike Williams in the league who have failed miserably.

Obviously there are a lot of pass catchers and it is crowded.  How easy is the path to relevance?  Number 7 overall pick in the draft, clearly they saw something in this guy and I think they'll want to see what they got.

Thoughts on this guy?  Anybody stashing?  I've read comparisons to Mike Evans or Deandre Hopkins.,  Hopefully he will do better than all the other guys named Mike Williams in the league who have failed miserably.

Obviously there are a lot of pass catchers and it is crowded.  How easy is the path to relevance?  Number 7 overall pick in the draft, clearly they saw something in this guy and I think they'll want to see what they got.
Redraft I wouldn't expect much. He's firmly entrenched behind at least Keenan, Gates, Henry, and Gordon. Could possibly jump ahead of Ty, but even that seems like some work.

I'm in. Chargers are a mess right now. Williams, Benjamin and Gates are no threats. Henry should be but they just have no clue what to do with him. The offense badly needs a spark but I'm sure they will bring him along slowly. Hoping his raw talent makes it hard to keep him off the field. 

Suggest that you read at least the last couple pages of this thread, where this subject has been discussed already.

Suggest that you read at least the last couple pages of this thread, where this subject has been discussed already.
Thanks for the insight, Superman,.  It's week 5.  News breaks today that the guy is coming back next week.  Wanted to see if anybody shared excitement about him to stash ahead of this week's games.  Thought there would be now some actual discussion of what his relevance is given how the pass catchers on the Chargers have played through the first four weeks of the season.

Thanks for the insight, Superman,.  It's week 5.  News breaks today that the guy is coming back next week.  Wanted to see if anybody shared excitement about him to stash ahead of this week's games.  Thought there would be now some actual discussion of what his relevance is given how the pass catchers on the Chargers have played through the first four weeks of the season.
Yes, it's week 5. IMO the discussion in this thread from the past two weeks is still relevant - nothing has changed in that time. So I suggested you read it. Not sure why you want to take offense at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Williams (back) is questionable for Week 6 against the Raiders.

All signs point to Williams making his NFL debut after sitting out the first five games with a back injury. Williams will have to earn his role in L.A.'s receiving corps, though he's certainly a worthy stash in deeper leagues.

Source: Los Angeles Chargers on Twitter 

Oct 13 - 3:33 PM

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter·

58m

Chargers’ 1st-round pick Mike Williams will make his NFL debut Sunday vs Raiders after battling a back injury since off-season, per source.

Mike Williams (knee) remained limited at Tuesday's practice.

Williams should be fine for Thursday's Thanksgiving game in Dallas. The rookie set career-highs with five catches and 38 yards in Week 11. He's still looking for his first career touchdown.

Source: Jon Machota on Twitter 

Nov 21 - 6:08 PM

Chargers WR Mike Williams was carted off the field with a knee injury in the first quarter of Week 12 and will not return.

He entered the game nursing a bum knee. It's a disappointing development for the seventh overall pick in the draft, who missed the first part of the year with a back injury. Williams set a season high by playing 55% of the snaps last week.

Nov 23 - 5:28 PM

Mike Williams' knee injury has been described as a bone bruise.

He was thought to have suffered a serious injury in Thursday's Thanksgiving game at Dallas, but escaped with his ACL still intact. Williams' injury isn't considered a season-ender, which is great news for the Bolts, who are now right in the thick of the AFC Wild Card hunt. The first-round rookie has logged nine catches for 84 yards over his first six games for Los Angeles.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Nov 26 - 8:51 AM

The Chargers consider WR Mike Williams (knee) day to day.

Williams is believed to be dealing with a bone bruise. We would consider him more week to week than day to day, though the 10-day break following LA's Thanksgiving win over the Cowboys could be enough time for Williams to get healthy for Week 13. His status will be updated when the Chargers return to practice on Wednesday.

Source: Jack Wang on Twitter

With Hunter Henry going down, is there a real chance Mike Williams breaks out now? With Keenan, Hunter, Tyrell, and the RBs it seemed like not enough balls to go around, especially in the RZ which is Mike Williams strength. Has that changed? Recently acquired him and trying to figure out whether this is a better opportunity to sell or see if he can live up to his pedigree

With Hunter Henry going down, is there a real chance Mike Williams breaks out now? With Keenan, Hunter, Tyrell, and the RBs it seemed like not enough balls to go around, especially in the RZ which is Mike Williams strength. Has that changed? Recently acquired him and trying to figure out whether this is a better opportunity to sell or see if he can live up to his pedigree
He is just one Keenan Allen injury away from being a nice WR3 option for fantasy 

He is just one Keenan Allen injury away from being a nice WR3 option for fantasy 

That's an extemely negative outlook. Didn't like him as a prospect, I'm assuming? I thought he was a bit overdrafted at 7th overall, but with his skill-set and size he's intriguing to say the least. Chargers probably just lost 8-10 TDs when Henry went down, no way the corpse of Gates can fill that hole at this point 

Faust said:
Exerpt.

ESPN Fantasy writer Mike Clay projects 38 catches for 457 yards and four touchdowns on 66 targets for Williams now that Henry is out for the year, and I believe that's realistic if he can stay healthy.

"I see a lot of potential," said receiver Keenan Allen, when asked about Williams. "Last year, he had a lot of potential as well, but I could tell he put in a little bit more work this offseason. I think he's ready to go.

"[Last year] He wasn't sure about all the plays. This year, he acts like he's been in the playbook. When he runs routes, he's on depth. Today (Tuesday), he was more physical when he was getting pressed. He looked good."

38/457/4 would be quite a disappointment IMO, as would 66 targets. 

As of now, 136 targets have been vacated from last season (Gates, Henry, Oliver, McGrath, Cumberland, Inman), and the team has only added 3 potential new targets:

1. TE Green, who is known as a blocking TE and was signed to play that role and free up Henry to run more routes.

2. 6th round WR Cantrell, who is expected to be the WR5.

3. 7th round RB Jackson, who is expected to be behind Gordon and Ekeler.

If the team stands pat, I would expect about 60% of those vacated targets (82) to be added to the 23 targets MW had last season... so I would project around 105 targets for him.

Rumor has it that the team may re-sign Gates. If that happens, I would probably lower that to about 50% if the vacated targets (68) and project MW for about 90 targets. 

Either way, I think Clay is far too low in his projections.

Last edited by a moderator:
That stuck out to me too.  Rivers is going to need a new body to rely on in the redzone.  Chances are there if Mike can put it together.  Treating himself more as a professional is a big step
From what I have seen of Mike Williams in college he can work the seams and over the middle of the field. Its dangerous though. NFL defenders just so much better than the college level, but I could see Williams making more hay in that type of role without a receiving TE being available to them. Williams can win that way.

38/457/4 would be quite a disappointment IMO, as would 66 targets. 

As of now, 136 targets have been vacated from last season (Gates, Henry, Oliver, McGrath, Cumberland, Inman), and the team has only added 3 potential new targets:

1. TE Green, who is known as a blocking TE and was signed to play that role and free up Henry to run more routes.

2. 6th round WR Cantrell, who is expected to be the WR5.

3. 7th round RB, who is expected to be behind Gordon and Ekeler.

If the team stands pat, I would expect about 60% of those vacated targets (82) to be added to the 23 targets MW had last season... so I would project around 105 targets for him.

Rumor has it that the team may re-sign Gates. If that happens, I would probably lower that to about 50% if the vacated targets (68) and project MW for about 90 targets. 

Either way, I think Clay is far too low in his projections.
That was my impression as well, and I am not even much of a Williams fan.

Your numbers seem reasonable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread