What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Listening to the entire Metallica 80's catelog (1 Viewer)

While I agree that the early Metallica stuff is amazing--I disagree with the notion that everything else they did sucked.    For example--they did a performance (and then created an album out of it) where they performed a lot of their songs (some early ones) with a symphony from Northern California.  I believe that album was called S&M--but I could be wrong.  That album ranks as one of my favorites that they have ever done--and that was well after the 80's.  

While I agree that the early Metallica stuff is amazing--I disagree with the notion that everything else they did sucked.    For example--they did a performance (and then created an album out of it) where they performed a lot of their songs (some early ones) with a symphony from Northern California.  I believe that album was called S&M--but I could be wrong.  That album ranks as one of my favorites that they have ever done--and that was well after the 80's.  
It was S&M - Symphony & Metallica. It even had a couple new songs.

Metallica is the most overrated band in the history of music.

Plus I have never seen the public turn on a band quite like what happened with dooshy Lars and the Napster fiasco. 

As wrong as wrong can be. But I'm pretty much in agreement with the premise of the thread in that I have no interest anything after Master of Puppets.
For the most part, I agree.  And Justice For All was their last "great" album.

I could listen to Master of Puppets practically every day and never get sick of it........absolute masterpiece.    Ride the Lightning isn't far behind.

I like about 10-11 songs from Black Album, Load and Reload combined.  The rest is just filler......

As wrong as wrong can be. But I'm pretty much in agreement with the premise of the thread in that I have no interest anything after Master of Puppets.
And Justice for All was a pretty GD good album and they were still not quite over the top mainstream like they would when the Black album explodes in 1991. 

AJfA made them accessible to a much wider audience and I understand the distaste for so many wannabee fans that would follow. I was very young when the Metallica albums were unleashed in the early 80s, I wasn't exposed to them until probably some time after Master of Puppets but before AJfA. 

I feel the same way about Guns n Roses. I had AfD close to when it was released in '87, even when W2tJ hit MTV months after the album was out, still was awesome getting to enjoy that album without everyone listening to it until Sweet Child was released and then everybody and their mom n dad started listening to them or got offended by them real quick and the rest is history...and they obviously date way before that as people in Los Angeles would know them as the Gunners I think a year or two in the club scene out there. 

As bands get bigger and audiences wider they tend to lose some of their edge and appeal to those who love them from the start or in the beginning. Metallica did not have a large audience to start and I am very appreciative of the fan base who was with them to start 30+ years ago, we're talking stone wash denim jackets with a lot of patches and a lot of black t-shirts, the burn outs!

I didn't much care for Justice. Didn't care for the material and the mix is terrible. I wasn't even put off by the One video after them being so adamant about not taking part in the MTV thing. Just never went in for the record. It sounds ham-fisted to me relative to the three before. Might also have something to do with me mostly moving on from metal around that time. Though I did see one of the S&M shows and saw them play acoustically at the Bridge School Benefit in the '90s. Both meh.

I liked Death Magnetic.  Not as much as the first four, obviously, but more than the black album.  It had some good stuff on it.  :shrug:

I liked Death Magnetic.  Not as much as the first four, obviously, but more than the black album.  It had some good stuff on it.  :shrug:
agreed.

Metallica's downhill slide started with "The Unforgiven" and raged on with "Nothing Else Matters". ballads? seriously? i can understand a band evolving and trying to connect with a wider audience, but that was such a departure from what they had been it turned a lot of hardcore fans off.

also, "And Justice for Jason" is a pretty good listen if you ever wanted hear that album with bass. completely different animal.

agreed.

Metallica's downhill slide started with "The Unforgiven" and raged on with "Nothing Else Matters". ballads? seriously? i can understand a band evolving and trying to connect with a wider audience, but that was such a departure from what they had been it turned a lot of hardcore fans off.

also, "And Justice for Jason" is a pretty good listen if you ever wanted hear that album with bass. completely different animal.
It was Bob Rock.  Everything he did with them was awful.  He convinced them that they needed to sell records to teenage girls, and they did.  

And Justice For All was their last "great" album.

I could listen to Master of Puppets practically every day and never get sick of it........absolute masterpiece.    Ride the Lightning isn't far behind.

I like about 10-11 songs from Black Album, Load and Reload combined.  The rest is just filler......
Pretty much my opinion too. Still remember joining a tape club so I could get their first 4 albums on cassette all at once.

early Metallica is my go to music when I need to focus and get #### done at work. 

@jvdesigns2002 thanks for mentioning that S&M album....I'm giving it a listen right now.

I like the Black album.  Had never listened to Metallica before that came out.  Made me dig into their back catalogue.  Love Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning, enjoy And Justice for All.  Never got into Kill em All.  Did not like Load and stopped listening at that point.  Still listen the "Metallica' as part of a regular listen when I'm music hopping.  I'm glad they went soft and mtv.

I agree the mix isn't good compared to their first 3 albums.   But the material is very good and the Justice songs kicked serious a$$ when played live.
It was mixed with no bass on purpose because cliff button died.

they had needed lay down tracks but didn't put it on the album to honor cliff

agreed.

:confused: metal bands have always had ballads as part of their catalog. Judas Priest, Pantera, Megadeth.... the list goes on and on :shrug:  

:confused: metal bands have always had ballads as part of their catalog. Judas Priest, Pantera, Megadeth.... the list goes on and on :shrug:  
i don't know about "always," at least as it relates to thrash-metal (where i'd place Metallica, and not JP so much).

sure, "Fade to Black" might fit into that category, but it starts to rock a bit more at the end, kinda like "Hollow" by Pantera. and bands like Megadeth, Testament, etc. all began including ballads on albums pretty much post-1991....on the heels or in the footsteps of what Metallica did with the two tracks on The Black Album. all i'm saying is that for hardcore thrash-metal fans, this was anathema at the time.

I like the Black album.   
A lot of "old school" fans love to dog it, but it's a fantastic record, deep tracks and all. Much better than ...And Justice for All, which is hard to get through in one sitting because of how ugly and sterile the production is.  Of course, Master... and Ride... are the best, but the Black Album is comfortably in 3rd, IMO. 

And even though Load and ReLoad both have lots of crap, there are some great song on both: Bleeding Me, Fixxxer, The Outlaw Torn, King Nothing, etc. 

I have a varied "taste" in music, but Master  of Puppets is one of my favorite albums of all time.  :various reasons:

I didn't much care for Justice. Didn't care for the material and the mix is terrible. I wasn't even put off by the One video after them being so adamant about not taking part in the MTV thing. Just never went in for the record. It sounds ham-fisted to me relative to the three before. Might also have something to do with me mostly moving on from metal around that time. Though I did see one of the S&M shows and saw them play acoustically at the Bridge School Benefit in the '90s. Both meh.
YOUR FACE IS MEH

Users who are viewing this thread