What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unrest in Milwaukee (1 Viewer)

strykerpks

Footballguy
Not one to start, nor participate much in these kind of threads but I live here so here goes.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/crime/2016/08/13/report-1-dead-officer-involved-shooting/88689152/

TLDR, A murder suspect was shot by police on Saturday afternoon. Now locals have set fire to at least one cop car, a gas station and just now an O'Reilly Auto Parts. Fire trucks were not allowed to get to the gas station because locals were firing shots and throwing bricks at the trucks.

Story developing...

Pisses me off these idiots start destroying local businesses. What the hell did the poor business owners do to you? Lock em up and throw away the key.

IS THE FONZIE STATUE OK???
He's cool

That said, it doesn't seem to be overly violent (yet) at this point but it looked bleak there for a while. Multiple businesses have had windows broken out but thankfully no real looting or other crazy violence.

Fire dept now at the scene of the gas station. But now a bank on fire. 

From the mayor

-Officer that shot the suspect had body cam. State will handle the investigation.

-Social media played a part in the large crowd gathering

-A number of cars were damaged by rocks/bricks/fire including police cars

-No others injured so far

From the mayor

-Officer that shot the suspect had body cam. State will handle the investigation.

-Social media played a part in the large crowd gathering

-A number of cars were damaged by rocks/bricks/fire including police cars

-No others injured so far
WW III will be started thru social media at some time in the future. 

gianmarco said:
Now the Brewers, on the other hand.....
Ha because the Brewers aren't good. Thanks ****

Thought you were better than the low hanging fruit but I guess not. Eat a bag of ****s

I'll eat the suspension if that's too far

Last edited by a moderator:
My kids will be up in about 3-4 hours. I'll update what I can when I can but I'm taking the family out in the morning so if other MKE FBGs can help out that would be much apprecieated. 

Yikes, sorry about the joke, wasn't meant to offend at all. Awful situation, sorry you're going through it and best of luck to you and everyone there. Stay safe.

Holy smokes--I checked on this thread earlier and it kinda sounded like things were starting to get back under control--but that now seems like it was the wrong assumption to make.   I certainly hope that things settle down in a safe and sound fashion.  Best wishes to the OP

So like all the other police shootings, I think people should wait until the facts are known, but CNN and MSN are both reporting the guy had a stolen handgun, wouldn't comply with the officer's request to drop the weapon and was shot twice.

On face value, that's about as cut and dry a legit shooting as there can be--let alone a reason to burn your neighborhood down. Maybe the body cam will show something else? 

Meanwhile yesterday two more police officers killed in NM and Georgia  :(

So like all the other police shootings, I think people should wait until the facts are known, but CNN and MSN are both reporting the guy had a stolen handgun, wouldn't comply with the officer's request to drop the weapon and was shot twice.

On face value, that's about as cut and dry a legit shooting as there can be--let alone a reason to burn your neighborhood down. Maybe the body cam will show something else? 

Meanwhile yesterday two more police officers killed in NM and Georgia  :(
If true, it sounds like simple steps could have been taken to avoid being killed. 

This is the top story on CNN, Fox, and ABC. This isn't even on the front page of MSNBC.  Disgusting.

Just read the story:

- Suspect had a stolen gun from a burglary, lengthy arrest record, running from cops

- Supposedly wouldn't drop gun 

- Officer was wearing a body cam

Wouldn't it make more sense to be outraged after the video is made public? 

Just read the story:

- Suspect had a stolen gun from a burglary, lengthy arrest record, running from cops

Why would anyone be outraged based on the reported facts? A criminal had a gun, was fleeing police officers with said gun in his hand, didn't drop the gun and was shot. 

These idiots want to loot and destroy property, let's not pretend there is any reasonable justification for it by calling it a protest.

Why would anyone be outraged based on the reported facts? A criminal had a gun, was fleeing police officers with said gun in his hand, didn't drop the gun and was shot. 

These idiots want to loot and destroy property, let's not pretend there is any reasonable justification for it by calling it a protest.
:goodposting:

When I listen to stories of success from those raised in impoverished communities they have one commonality.  Those folks universally turned their back on most of the cultural mores of their communities and instead adopted and held to belief in education, hard work, dedication to family, respect for elders and for the law, and that deferred gratification will pay off.  They did not respect lawlessness or ignorance nor entitlement.  They certainly did not participate in looting, in disrupting their communities with protests about a criminal coming to a hard end.  They had the intelligence to discern between bad ends and institutional injustice.  (A few Rappers aside, they being the exception which proves the rule.)

Yikes, sorry about the joke, wasn't meant to offend at all. Awful situation, sorry you're going through it and best of luck to you and everyone there. Stay safe.
Yeah that was pretty penis-y of me. My apologies to you as well.

As I said in my PM, I was no better than the idiots who did this last night. Can't take out anger on the innocents.

My brother in law is a captain for the MFD truck on Teutonia not far from here. Responding to actual fires takes about 5-10% of his crew's time. 90-95% is first responder services, much of which is responding to gun violence. They are often seen as the enemy in these neighborhoods for the most part, even though their main job is saving lives. They are frequently in hostile situations while trying to administer first aid, rarely have police support (they can't carry guns themselves, but are given vests), frequently shot at while administering first aid in the midst of an ongoing hostile situation. He said in almost all cases these days they have about 30-40 people standing around filming them with phone cams while they work. When the victim they are treating dies (very common), its time to wrap him up, head down, no speaking or eye contact and get to the truck asap. Its a very tough job. They sit in the firehouse, wait to hear the gunshots, then get ready for the call that's about to come in.

He does always point out that there are mostly really very good people living in these neighborhoods, respectful and thankful, trying to build a life under terrible conditions caused by the violent component of their communities.

Yeah that was pretty penis-y of me. My apologies to you as well.

As I said in my PM, I was no better than the idiots who did this last night. Can't take out anger on the innocents.
Emotional time easy to understand.

Have things improved this morning? Has this ended?

Such short-sighted ignorance.  I don't deny the racial and social disparities in certain parts of the city, or the country as a whole.  However, how does this solve anything?  

A community's response to "we want to stop being profiled as violent, impulsive threats by the local police", is let's throw rocks at squad cars, buses, set fire to local businesses in our community and loot.  There response to "we need to solve the educational and social disparities" is to prove how ignorant and unable to have a peaceful protest they are.  Your choices define your character.  They aren't receiving sympathy from anyone.  Now they have one less gas station, beauty salon, liquor store, grocery store and no bus shelters to stand in before having to go to work tomorrow.  The next complaint will be the lack of local businesses and poor property value in their community by the very people who just burned them to the ground.  What ignorance 

I saw a video posted by some random person on one of the fb urban pages showing black people beating up random white people just because. I believe they said something to the effects of that will teach them to come down to Sherman? Not sure if the neighborhood or block is correct, but things are getting sadder in our country by the day and there are people around the world laughing at our chickens coming home to roost.

If I had to guess, all of this isn't because of a justified shooting, but rather after the violent criminal gets justifiably shot when threatening the police, the guy's friends and family immediately start talking and posting to social media that he was just minding his business and such a sweet guy that wouldn't hurt a fly and the racist cops just got out of their car and killed him. People start getting angry, it spreads, and then the low life's take advantage of that unjustified anger and start trashing stuff.

Just think about how quickly :bs: gets accepted as truth on social media or email all the time. Easily debunked garbage is constantly being reposted and getting people riled up. As a society in general we've lost the ability to think critically and wait for the truth.

Such short-sighted ignorance.  I don't deny the racial and social disparities in certain parts of the city, or the country as a whole.  However, how does this solve anything?  

A community's response to "we want to stop being profiled as violent, impulsive threats by the local police, let's throw rocks at squad cars, buses, set fire to local businesses in our community and loot".  There response to "we need to solve the educational and social disparities" is to prove how ignorant and unable to have a peaceful protest they are.  Your choices define your character.  They aren't receiving sympathy from anyone.  Now they have one less gas station, beauty salon, liquor store, grocery store and no bus shelters to stand in before having to go to work tomorrow.  
I think people need to start reevaluating what is going on here in these various incidents:

- role of video. 

- role of social media.

- role of anarchists in protests and social media. 

- disinformation is spread.

In Ferguson the DOJ found no racial motive or civil rights violation. In Baltimore black cops were involved and the prosecution went 0-5 on criminal charges.

If I had to guess, all of this isn't because of a justified shooting, but rather after the violent criminal gets justifiably shot when threatening the police, the guy's friends and family immediately start talking and posting to social media that he was just minding his business and such a sweet guy that wouldn't hurt a fly and the racist cops just got out of their car and killed him. People start getting angry, it spreads, and then the low life's take advantage of that unjustified anger and start trashing stuff.
This is what concerns me ... that these events only (initially) mimic true outrage, but instead are started cynically.

Milwaukee's changed. I remember back in the day, the gangs just used to make prospective female members neck with every member of the gang, fight in the local High Schools gym, drag race, steal bicycles of neighborhood kids, shave the heads of guys who broke the hearts of the gang leaders little sisters and just hang out in the parking lot of local eateries. Now they're looting and shooting?.......Man, I miss the Dukes, Red-Devils, She-Devils and Falcons. 

Just think about how quickly :bs: gets accepted as truth on social media or email all the time. Easily debunked garbage is constantly being reposted and getting people riled up. As a society in general we've lost the ability to think critically and wait for the truth.
No doubt...I think part of Ferguson was that the first reports out of the media likely relied on all of the stuff from people close to Brown and reported it as more of the cop's fault.  When facts came out...it was too late and people already had their minds made up that he was just some good innocent kid.

The article in the OP confirms this. The guy shot had a semi automatic handgun with 23 rounds but the gun was stolen in a robbery that involved 500 stolen rounds. He had a lengthy record. He was told to surrender his weapon. He wouldn't. Meanwhile a woman interviewed said he was a great guy. 

Ultimately there is this belief or theme being disseminated that black men are being executed by the cops without cause or reason.

Just read the story:

What good are "the facts" when I want to riot now?

What good are "the facts" when I want to riot now?
Right. All kidding aside, these situations just "validate" actions in people who are looking for any excuse to behave in problematic behavior. That validation then emboldens others who are less confident and daring into engaging.  

the narrative has changed from cops executing unarmed black men to cops no longer being allowed to ever use their weapons on blacks regardless of the infraction or if a weapon is being carried.  hands up don't shoot has changed to career criminal, fleeing police with weapon, don't shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread