What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baton Rouge Flooding (1 Viewer)

ATC1

Footballguy
Flood Rescue

Where is that thread asking if you would jump in to rescue your pet.  Another person's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposed to be there next month for an LSU game. Between this and the cops playing pretend stormtroopers I'm kinda rethinking things. 

Edit: didn't mean to come off callous. Hope everybody is safe there. GB that guy saving that pooch. 

Supposed to be there next month for an LSU game. Between this and the cops playing pretend stormtroopers I'm kinda rethinking things. 

Edit: didn't mean to come off callous. Hope everybody is safe there. GB that guy saving that pooch. 
Things will be fine for the game. Not sure what you mean by storm troopers, the cops in BR have been doing heroic duty during the flood. Louisiana is resilient and the games will be emotional affairs after all this.

Things will be fine for the game. Not sure what you mean by storm troopers, the cops in BR have been doing heroic duty during the flood. Louisiana is resilient and the games will be emotional affairs after all this.
There were pictures a few weeks ago of the local cops there in some serious and quite frankly ridiculous riot gear. 

Everything is fine here (Lake Charles area).  Lots of rain but no serious flooding, just the usual low spots.  30 miles east and it's nuts.  Lot's of people I work with are helping in the bad areas. 

I'm an hour away, around Folsom.  I don't flood where I am, but lots of people in this area just moved back into their homes after the last record flooding, only to see their newly rebuilt houses take on water again.  I can't imagine that kind of frustration.  Terrible situation all around.

I'm an hour away, around Folsom.  I don't flood where I am, but lots of people in this area just moved back into their homes after the last record flooding, only to see their newly rebuilt houses take on water again.  I can't imagine that kind of frustration.  Terrible situation all around.
Maybe its time to consider construction elsewhere, or, if folks are emotionally unable to part from their communities, and I can understand that, then they need to conceive of new homebuilding, perhaps homes built on jacks that can jack them up several feet during flood events. 

Anyhow, no criticism meant.  I am sure this is a difficult time, and I am certain folks are getting this all figured out without the help of a buffoon like me.  Hang in there.  Be safe.  Best wishes for a swift recovery.

Maybe its time to consider construction elsewhere, or, if folks are emotionally unable to part from their communities, and I can understand that, then they need to conceive of new homebuilding, perhaps homes built on jacks that can jack them up several feet during flood events. 

Anyhow, no criticism meant.  I am sure this is a difficult time, and I am certain folks are getting this all figured out without the help of a buffoon like me.  Hang in there.  Be safe.  Best wishes for a swift recovery.
No, you're not wrong.  The problem was, in many cases, that these places hadn't flooded before.  I know one elderly couple that have lived in their house for 40+ years and the water has never gotten close to them before that first round of flooding.  Now it's gotten them twice in a year.  I can understand why they didn't think it would happen like this again.  This isn't New Orleans up here. They/we are above sea level, there's just been an insane amount of precipitation.

They moved their furniture back in on Thursday, then took it back out on Friday when the water started rising. 

No, you're not wrong.  The problem was, in many cases, that these places hadn't flooded before.  I know one elderly couple that have lived in their house for 40+ years and the water has never gotten close to them before that first round of flooding.  Now it's gotten them twice in a year.  I can understand why they didn't think it would happen like this again.  This isn't New Orleans up here. They/we are above sea level, there's just been an insane amount of precipitation.

They moved their furniture back in on Thursday, then took it back out on Friday when the water started rising. 
I guess I need to look at a topographical map of the area.  Thanks for the correction.  I probably have a weird and skewed view of things living at 6700 ft. above sea level on top of a hill.  Water literally flows in all four compass directions out of my property. 

FEMA is requiring much stricter standards for rebuilding in these areas.  In some cases, so much stricter that residents can't afford to move back.

We are in Prairieville, a burb of Baton Rouge.

We are dry however there are thousands who are not,. The water is still rising in places.  I had to rescue my sisters family Friday.  Had to go rescue a neighbors dad last night.  I forgot we had a car at a dealership until I saw boats being launched from the parking lot for rescues.  I still have many many friends and family under water.

any of you BR peeps need help? Not even sure I can get out now.

Psycho you hit it on the head.  My wife lost everything in Katrina so when we bought this house she had to have the highest area she could find.  According to the flood maps we were good.  We still are but it got close.  This was a 500yr storm.  I heard on the news that they were still performing calcs but this could be the most rain fall in a short period of time in us history.

Psycho you hit it on the head.  My wife lost everything in Katrina so when we bought this house she had to have the highest area she could find.  According to the flood maps we were good.  We still are but it got close.  This was a 500yr storm.  I heard on the news that they were still performing calcs but this could be the most rain fall in a short period of time in us history.
Good luck ragin, and stay safe.  I'm sure that this is not normal.  500yr sounds possible.  I heard that we had 22 inches of rain overnight for the last one.  Not sure how much hit you guys.  We basically have had two 100 year floods during a one year period, with some time still to go. 

The problem is the backflow of the canals and bayous at this point.  I am still close to the river near LSU, so we are fine.  My wife's secretary and family lost everything.  I have been cleaning out my house to donate any thing I can.  Helped my brother sandbag yesterday in Ascension.  We think his new subdivision is fine.  A lot of the older neighborhoods close to these bayous are the problem areas.  

Voice of the Tigers Jim Hawthorne needed to be rescued out of his house.  http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_f1780448-626d-11e6-bc1c-4344b004cbb7.html

Good luck ragin, and stay safe.  I'm sure that this is not normal.  500yr sounds possible.  I heard that we had 22 inches of rain overnight for the last one.  Not sure how much hit you guys.  We basically have had two 100 year floods during a one year period, with some time still to go. 
thanks bud.

The problem is the backflow of the canals and bayous at this point.  I am still close to the river near LSU, so we are fine.  My wife's secretary and family lost everything.  I have been cleaning out my house to donate any thing I can.  Helped my brother sandbag yesterday in Ascension.  We think his new subdivision is fine.  A lot of the older neighborhoods close to these bayous are the problem areas.  

Voice of the Tigers Jim Hawthorne needed to be rescued out of his house.  http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_f1780448-626d-11e6-bc1c-4344b004cbb7.html
My subdivision is newer by Manchac.  The older ones behind me are the ones flooding.

If every tourist to LA. could just bring even 1/4 yard of good clean fill with them when they visit we could have that state raised up to a decent altitude in no time.

You can take your dirty fill to Florida.

My wife is from a smaller town east of Baton Rouge and her mom/stepdad have lost everything.  Evacuated early yesterday morning with zero notice, as the night before things were fine.

I know I've only been here a few years and post sporadically but in case anyone cares, we started a GoFundMe:  gofundme.com/2jr963w

Or if you prefer to donate to the Red Cross, here's a link:  http://www.redcross.org/local/louisiana/local-chapters/Louisiana-Capital-Area-West

My wife and kids and I will likely be headed out there in the next several days to help with cleanup. 

My wife is from a smaller town east of Baton Rouge and her mom/stepdad have lost everything.  Evacuated early yesterday morning with zero notice, as the night before things were fine.

I know I've only been here a few years and post sporadically but in case anyone cares, we started a GoFundMe:  gofundme.com/2jr963w

Or if you prefer to donate to the Red Cross, here's a link:  http://www.redcross.org/local/louisiana/local-chapters/Louisiana-Capital-Area-West

My wife and kids and I will likely be headed out there in the next several days to help with cleanup. 
Thanks for the link.  Good folks getting hit by a bad break.  I've got a few dollars to give to such folks.

Sounds like you're close to my MIL.  She's in the Autumview subdivision off 42.  Stay safe.
My brother is in a new subdivision very close to there.  Shadows at Manchac.  He said he gets updates that show he is surrounded by water, but his seems to be holding off the water. He is currently at my house sitting tight.

My brother is in a new subdivision very close to there.  Shadows at Manchac.  He said he gets updates that show he is surrounded by water, but his seems to be holding off the water. He is currently at my house sitting tight.
Yeah my wife's cousins live in that subdivision.  MIL's is down 42 less than a mile close to the Sonic.

Cripes, just learned insurance only covers structural damage to house, covers no furniture, etc. 

Huge bummer... hope all of you that live out that way are doing OK.

Capella said:
There were pictures a few weeks ago of the local cops there in some serious and quite frankly ridiculous riot gear. 
Yeah not sure how this relates in any way to what's going on now, but thanks for stoppin' by.

It's like one second we get good news that Bayou Manchac is lowering, the next hour it is getting backed up from the Amite river and we get back flow on Ward's creek, Dawson's Creek.  (Yes, it's called Dawson's Creek) It runs in the main part on Baton Rouge at Bluebonnet. Going to be a stressful up and down next couple of days for a lot of people.

Hope everyone down there is safe, just unbelievable from I have seen on the news. My son is planning to enroll at LSU in 3 years after he finishes HS. Going to Lambeau in 3 weeks to see the game . Geaux Tigers!

Water heading south to St. Amant neighborhoods.  Prayers and thoughts to the people in the area about to get rising waters.

I can attempt.  I was in that general area this morning.  Shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do.
Thanks, PM sent.  Don't make a special trip or endanger yourself of course.  If you're in the area again and can take a look I'd appreciate it.

Turns out my MIL has a ton of points on Southwest and wants us all out there.  Wife and 5 and 3 year olds head out early next week then I'm there 26th-30th.  

Stay safe y'all.

Hey bud.  Any family or friends affected over here?  Need me to put eyes on a house or anything?

Nirad3,. I will attempt to make it that way today.  Will take some pics if I can get there.

Users who are viewing this thread