What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Toronto - Recommend what to do in here (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
with wife and 11 year old daughter.  

Working on convincing them to go to the hockey hall of fame.  Will go to Toronto Island.  Possibly Jays game.

Ontario Science Museum?  

What else, what else?

if you are gearing towards toronto island amusement park, its meant for little kids.  11 y/o wouldnt enjoy it much imo.  Canada's wonderland is decent amusement park for older kids.

otherwise science centre is good for that age.  CN tower, aquarium would be good for first time visits.  zoo is pretty good.  jays game for sure.

I was just there last week. We had a few hours to kill and didn't make it into the CN tower. But was able to walk around the area. Rogers Centre is right next to the CN Tower (you could throw a rock from one to the other). If I had it to do over again, I would have got there a little earlier and hit the tower, then catch the game. 

Something I noticed an hour in. The people there are much more diverse than here in the Midwest. And the Offdee average for the women was much higher. Less corn feeding  :shrug:

The Jays are almost completely sold out for the rest of the year, so if you don't have tickets, look ASAP and see if there is a game left when you're there with tickets available, otherwise it's StubHub and paying $40ish for bad seats (I had to go this route today for a couple upcoming games).

The Jays are almost completely sold out for the rest of the year, so if you don't have tickets, look ASAP and see if there is a game left when you're there with tickets available, otherwise it's StubHub and paying $40ish for bad seats (I had to go this route today for a couple upcoming games).
I looked on seat geek last weekend I think and saw some that were ok, but you are right I should be locking this in.

I was just there last week. We had a few hours to kill and didn't make it into the CN tower. But was able to walk around the area. Rogers Centre is right next to the CN Tower (you could throw a rock from one to the other). If I had it to do over again, I would have got there a little earlier and hit the tower, then catch the game. 

Something I noticed an hour in. The people there are much more diverse than here in the Midwest. And the Offdee average for the women was much higher. Less corn feeding  :shrug:
Toronto is by most measurements the most diverse city in the world. Kensington Market takes this to an extreme, if you're interested. The Rogers Centre/CN Tower/Aquarium are all in one area. So is the Steamwhistle Brewery, their tour is excellent, though obviously not for an 11 year old. The Harbour area is a 10 minute walk away as well and has just been revitalized to be very pedestrian/bike/streetcar friendly. You could see what events are on at The Harbourfront Centre or the Metro Toronto Convention Centre - those are all in this same downtown area as well.

Whereabouts are you staying? Places like Wonderland and The Zoo are a long hike from the downtown area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Staying in the distillery district.

and my daughter has learned to accept breweries as part of the drill when we travel ...
In that case, go to Amsterdam Brewhouse. They have good food, it's right on the water and have a good range of beer styles with everything from light lager to double-IPA's and always different seasonals. It's in the same area as Rogers Centre/CN Tower - it's actually in the Harbourfront area. I've taken lots of non-beer lovers here and all liked the food/view/atmosphere.

http://amsterdambrewhouse.com

Missed this thread, but just got to Toronto tonight, never been before  .

I have a work event tomorrow so staying near the hotel tonight, but will be free late afternoon and evening tomorrow. Suggestions?  I'm staying at the Sheraton Centre.  I like food and drink, and exploring neighborhoods in cities that have distinct ones  

TIA!

Missed this thread, but just got to Toronto tonight, never been before  .

I have a work event tomorrow so staying near the hotel tonight, but will be free late afternoon and evening tomorrow. Suggestions?  I'm staying at the Sheraton Centre.  I like food and drink, and exploring neighborhoods in cities that have distinct ones  

TIA!
If you like exploring neighborhoods,  some nice ones close to downtown are King West (King from Spadina to Bathurst - hit Gusto and Bar Buca at King/Portland and Patria near Spadina), West Queen West (Queen from Bathurst to Dufferin - hit the Drake and Gladstone near Queen/Gladstone), Yorkville/The Annex (Hemingways in Yorkville is a good spot), and the St. Lawrence Market area.   Tomorrow is good night to go out - Thursdays in the core during the warmer months are busy.

Not sure what else tourists do here that hasn't been mentioned.  You can visit Casa Loma, High Park out in the West End which has a small zoo, and maybe try to catch a TFC (soccer) game at BMO field.   Also, if you have never done so, a day trip to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake (dinner at Ravine or Peller Estates wineries are sweet) is worth the 1.5 hr drive.

10:00 local time, and 4 "legitimate" and wide ranging responses within 10 minutes. Gotta love this place. I'll apologize while doing hookers and blow in the Rush park, then hit King West. 

Lots of good suggestions in here.  

We're all fans of Greek food in my family, so we always end up in Greektown (Danforth Ave) one night every time we're in town.

Be aware w momofuku that there are multiple levels. the bottom is just the noodle bar. you wont likely know that if u just walk in

If you're into Thai, go to Pai (Duncan Street)

Pizza wise, order a Dr Pepperoni from Maker Pizza.

Go to Nguyen Huong (322 spadina), for the best banh mi outside of vietnam (and it's like 3-4$ for a huge one).

Cluny, in the distillery is nice for brunch/lunch... Like a massive Parisien bistro.

Ethiopian food, go to Ethiopiques on Church St. Crazy authentic, cheap and filling.

........ Just a few budget friendly referalls from a "foodie" that lived in the city for years (me). All super authentic, crazy good, and mostly affordable

Be aware w momofuku that there are multiple levels. the bottom is just the noodle bar. you wont likely know that if u just walk in

If you're into Thai, go to Pai (Duncan Street)

Pizza wise, order a Dr Pepperoni from Maker Pizza.

Go to Nguyen Huong (322 spadina), for the best banh mi outside of vietnam (and it's like 3-4$ for a huge one).

Cluny, in the distillery is nice for brunch/lunch... Like a massive Parisien bistro.

Ethiopian food, go to Ethiopiques on Church St. Crazy authentic, cheap and filling.

........ Just a few budget friendly referalls from a "foodie" that lived in the city for years (me). All super authentic, crazy good, and mostly affordable
hopefully these places are still there, pumped for the food and strip clubs in Toronto!

hopefully these places are still there, pumped for the food and strip clubs in Toronto!
Ethiopiques is no longer there, but the owner opened a new place called "Enat Buna", haven't been yet tho

The rest still exists and is still deeeeelish

TONS of food options in TO, it's like NYC mini... Canoe is good for Canadian type fare, as well.

if you have a vehicle, it's worth the hour fifteen drive to Niagara Falls to hit the Sundowner, if you want elite strip club experience.

expensive, but that's what they're meant for.

there may or may not be a motel next door, for extracurriculars. 

Is the dinner theatre on the west side of town still there? My wife and I went on our honeymoon there and the dinner theatre had a Knights of the Round Table kinda thing. It's near the river.

Is the dinner theatre on the west side of town still there? My wife and I went on our honeymoon there and the dinner theatre had a Knights of the Round Table kinda thing. It's near the river.
yep, sure is. 

at Exhibition Place (a go train runs directly there). it's a cheesy, but fun time. esp if u have kids.

There are some amazing strip clubs and I'm not really a strip club guy. 
I'd like to hear more about this from any of my FBG GBs. Pretend that I'm an ignorant country yokel who loves to throw his excess cash at women and mind altering drugs. Jethro Bodine, maybe. i've heard that the etiquette is way different but I'm totally shuked. I usually just throw singles at the stage until I'm too tired to stay, but that's Candadian bad form? Please advise.

Any restaurant or bar or fun activity recommendations will also merit a like and abiding goodwill.

Fantastic suggestions so far. Seconding a few below and adding some more.

Kensington market was a fantastic suggestion, and would be remiss to not mention the St. Lawrence Market area as well.

If you are into the cuisine, Toronto has one of the more vibrant "Chinatowns" with some amazing restaurants as well as shops to walk in and check out. 

For touristy attractions, the Ripley's aquarium by the CN tower is actually fantastic, but get tickets online to avoid waiting for a looooong time outside. Casa Loma is also a unique attraction to check out, as is the Royal Ontario Museum and Ontario Gallery of Art.

I really loved what Toronto did in the Distillery District as well -- lots of great shops and restaurants there.

The Danforth has some unbelievable greek food restaurants.

Walking around Queen Street West between either Bathurst or Spadina and Avenue Road/Yonge, or checking out the chi chi shops and galleries in Yorkville is great too. The Beaches is another interesting neighborhood to check out though a little off the beaten path from downtown core (as is The Danforth).

pizza at maker pizza and banh mi at nguyen huong (322 spadina) if you want some cheap but amazing food on the go.

i hiiiiiiiiighly suggest the bbq pork banh mi (spicy). large sub runs like 3-4$... and just the experience of the viet lady assembly line is a beauty

Near my training. It wa the one they recommended. 
ah ok, I thought it was by choice... wouldnt necessarily recommend that if you were there to see toronto.

having lived in TO for many years, it kinda sucks in winter. lots to do still, it's just effing cold and wet and meh. 

but spring is apparently well on its way, apparently as of next week, despite that it's -20 right now

As an aside, how many others here were either born in or currently live in the Big Smoke? I knew of Northern Voice from the NHL thread, but good to know there may be others.

Users who are viewing this thread