What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need New Luggage (1 Viewer)

What type of luggage is best?

• Hard Shell

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Soft Style

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

glvsav37

Footballguy
Just came back from vacation and the luggage set isnt making it to another one. 

Have 2 sets, both soft style luggage. One set is about 16 years old the other is only about 2—but was a cheap set (5pcs for $150 or something like that). That set is already missing a handle and starting to wear on the back.

We don't travel often (mostly 1x per year), but when we do, my wife is an overpacker...so we tend to jam a lot of crap into these. 

I'm looking at hard shell for durability. But I do like the features of the soft kind, like the outer pockets and ours can link 2 bags together when rolling. I guess the hard shell adds some extra weight overall too. 

Any suggestions? Don't want to break the bank, but I also will spend if it will stay in good shape for a few years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealing with this myself - wife is also an over-packer.  For 10 years we've had all hard shell luggage for the security and protection but finally came to the conclusion that it's a waste to have all hard shell.  Not only is it wasting 10+ pounds on the case but half the things inside are clothes that don't need the protection and a pain to drag around.  I bought a large duffel bag (85 liters and super lightweight) in Paris since we needed another bag and it worked great.  Can put all the clothes/other non-breakables in there and easy to put on top of the rolling hard case to get around. 

we had 2 bags this trip that weighed 48lbs (50 is the airline limit). The soft was great b/c it expanded, but the handles couldn't hack the weight. Also the clips that allow you to combine them started ripping too b/c of it. 

I know, the answer is to tell the wife to take less ####.....but good luck with that. Not as long as we have kids and are gone for 2 weeks in Disney. 

@cstu is the hard shell really adding 10lbs? that sounds like a lot..but don't doubt it. 

My wife just showed me a case that expands into a clothing shelving unit. I want that thing. You get where you are going and then expand it and all your #### is accessible right there. I hate digging through a suitcase. 

The new hard shells are a lot lighter than 10 lbs. Hardshells all the way, but if travelling with the family I'll on occation bring a sportsbag to put dirty clothes in for the return trip.

If you're only using it one or two times a year, I think there's enough durability in a decent set of soft luggage where you won't need to worry about it. I think I spent $300ish on a 3 piece set about 10 years ago and it's still going strong. 

we had 2 bags this trip that weighed 48lbs (50 is the airline limit). The soft was great b/c it expanded, but the handles couldn't hack the weight. Also the clips that allow you to combine them started ripping too b/c of it. 

I know, the answer is to tell the wife to take less ####.....but good luck with that. Not as long as we have kids and are gone for 2 weeks in Disney. 

@cstu is the hard shell really adding 10lbs? that sounds like a lot..but don't doubt it. 
Ours are Samsonite that are 10 years old so like msommer says they are heavier than what is out now.  I think they weighed about 13 lbs. empty.  It looks like the new ones actually weigh less than soft cases but make sure to get 100% polycarbonate, not the cheap ABS that some manufacturers use (something like this).

We have different considerations than other people since we go to Africa a lot and need at least one hard case with a TSA lock.  But I'm now heavily in favor of taking one duffel bag-type luggage for clothing/non-breakable items. 

I used a Patagonia bag extensively for over 10 years.  The pull-out handle thing for rolling it got bent and wasn't working so I walked into one of their shops and they gave me a new one.  High quality and they back their products; it wasn't the first time I've returned a bag or other item for a brand spanking new one.  Great customer service.

Anything new in the luggage game? Need a new set , 360 wheels aren’t working too great after our last trip
Many bags have built in batteries for recharging your phone / tablet.  Beware though, the airlines make you remove the battery pack before being checked.  There was a person on my last flight that did not know how to remove the battery so they would not let him check his bag and it was too big to go into the overhead.  I am not sure what he finally did.

I'll second the Patagonia suggestion.  I have one of their duffel bags and it's almost all I use to travel anymore.

Hard shells all the way if flying.  For car trips the ospery rolling duffels are a tremendous bargain. But I wouldn't dly with them. 

I picked up this Briggs and Riley bag about 6 years ago - Link

It has held up well - for a couple years I was flying 25 weeks/year.  Now I use it weekly and spend 120 nights a year on the road, but majority is driving.

Only recommendation may be a darker color - the olive shows some scuff marks.

If you travel frequently or want it to last, luggage is VERY much a “get what you pay for” game.

Don’t fall into the “5 bags for X” game... when the hell are you ever using 5 different types of bags to travel? :lol:   I’ve packfor 2 weeks into a backpack and carry on bag. Use a shirt envelope for your dress shirts, packing cubes for everything else. Nobody needs a suitcase big enough to fit a body in it. 

Hard shell is as much about durability as it is protection. That said, a GOOD soft shell bag will last you a long time, too. 

I hate the new 4Wheel “spinner” bags. Tilt and pull your bag like a normal person. Also two quality rollerblade wheels will always outlast the 4x 360 spinner wheel setup. Not to mention they’ll roll 10x better on uneven surfaces like cobblestone. 

Focus on fabric/case material, wheels, handles, and zippers. Those are your points of failure. You want robust telescoping handle, roller blade style wheels, thick YKK brand zippers, and robust material with quality stitching. 

I’m no road warrior but I travel a good bit. I’ve got about 100 flights over the last ~decade on my “Swiss army” carry on that I picked up at a Discount store (like TJ Max or Ross) for $50-60. Only issue was some fraying of fabric and one seam giving way.

In prep for a NYC Trip and a 6 City / 4 country blast through Europe next month I refurbed it. Trimmed the fray marks with scissors, using a torch lighter to fuse up anything that might run. Sewed up the seam that was giving way. Then gave it a good scrub down with shout fabric cleaning spray. Looks damn good and Should last me a few more years easy. All key points of failure (handle, wheels, zippers) still work flawlessly. 

My next bag will likely be hard side, but we shall see when that is. 

With baggage fees, and the extra time consumption to check a bag, and renting airBnB with washer and dryer (if needed), we almost exclusively carry on.  We purchased 4 (one for each family member) travelpro international size carry on (two wheel) and are very happy with our purchase.

Wife used to be an overpacker as well until we started going this route.

With baggage fees, and the extra time consumption to check a bag, and renting airBnB with washer and dryer (if needed), we almost exclusively carry on.  We purchased 4 (one for each family member) travelpro international size carry on (two wheel) and are very happy with our purchase.

Wife used to be an overpacker as well until we started going this route.
:thumbup:  

#team2wheelcarryon

My family are a militant “carryon only” crew. It only took 1 trip with everyone waiting impatiently for her bag to come out of a carousel for the GF to get on board. :lol:   

They can learn. She’s an exceptional packer now. :thumbup:  

Users who are viewing this thread