What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

28 hour special on ESPN (1 Viewer)

Tool

Footballguy
Why? The tidbits i've seen have been pretty dumb. Wouldn't 2 hours (max) have been enough?

because it's espn. what are the chances nfl network outdoes them with a 30-hour Michael Irvin alcohol-infused screaming and laughing binge with snippets of fantasy expert Michael Fabiano dropping knowledge with his super sleeper suggestion of taking your league by total surprise in drafting some guy name Odell Beckham Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched for 20 min. last night and 20 min today.

It's the worst thing I've ever seen ESPN produce, and that's saying something. There was more Frank Caliendo drivel than any fantasy analysis I ever saw. Absolutely freaking ridiculous.

They would've been better served waiting to do this 2 weeks from now, AFTER all the pre-season games have been played and do some sort of mock draft with fantasy analysts breaking down the picks. It would've taken forever, but ATLEAST it would've pertained to Fantasy Football.

Doing it now BEFORE PRESEASON WEEK 2 is completely pointless (there are still many preseason camp battles that will be ongoing until after 3rd preseason games), and that is evident they are using this ridiculous marathon as a publicity stunt for their new FF app, which stinks anyway.

I'm recording the final segment on ESPN, a mock draft.  Matthew Berry will have been up for over 40 hours straight. I'm hoping it devolves into fantasy sports insanity.

"And Matthew, who will you take at #8 overall?"
"Robert Aguayo. I'm feelin it." *passes out and falls out of chair.

It's the worst thing I've ever seen ESPN produce, and that's saying something. There was more Frank Caliendo drivel than any fantasy analysis I ever saw. Absolutely freaking ridiculous.

I have no clue why they bring Caliendo around for anything.  Turned away from it when it opened with him last night.  Turned away from it this morning when it was on the flagship and I just wanted to watch SportsCenter.  

I have no clue why they bring Caliendo around for anything.  Turned away from it when it opened with him last night.  Turned away from it this morning when it was on the flagship and I just wanted to watch SportsCenter.  

I was telling some friends last night - if ESPN feels compelled that they NEED to have Caliendo on this program, have him on at like 3 AM when NO ONE sober or conscious is watching and do that filler crap then.

They had Frank Caliendo dressed as himself normally impersonating John Madden with a horrible Vince Lombardi actor talking about the legacy of Brett Favre, at 8:30 PM on a Monday when there is nothing else on TV during primetime.

WTF does that have to do with anything to do with Fantasy? It's stupid and asinine. Ridiculous

I won't be watching it due to conflicts with my schedule (as well as not really being a fan of ESPN in general to start with)--but my guess to why there are doing it is that they are betting big on fantasy football. ESPN has been a major drag for Disney and its stock the last few years.   High costs and shrinking viewership have really hurt them.    They have routinely let a lot of their high priced personalities leave to try to reduce these costs.   However,  one person they gave a really big multi-year extension through is Matthew Berry (they signed him through 2021).   My guess is that ESPN is planning on featuring a lot more fantasy football content this season for two reasons:. 1). To see if they can generate viewership though the world of fantasy sports and 2) to try to get some return on investment for all the money they just dumped into Berry and the rest of their fantasy division.  

I was telling some friends last night - if ESPN feels compelled that they NEED to have Caliendo on this program, have him on at like 3 AM when NO ONE sober or conscious is watching and do that filler crap then.

They had Frank Caliendo dressed as himself normally impersonating John Madden with a horrible Vince Lombardi actor talking about the legacy of Brett Favre, at 8:30 PM on a Monday when there is nothing else on TV during primetime.

WTF does that have to do with anything to do with Fantasy? It's stupid and asinine. Ridiculous
Even worse, it's asiten!

I watched for 20 min. last night and 20 min today.

They would've been better served waiting to do this 2 weeks from now, AFTER all the pre-season games have been played and do some sort of mock draft with fantasy analysts breaking down the picks. It would've taken forever, but ATLEAST it would've pertained to Fantasy Football.

Doing it now BEFORE PRESEASON WEEK 2 is completely pointless (there are still many preseason camp battles that will be ongoing until after 3rd preseason games), and that is evident they are using this ridiculous marathon as a publicity stunt for their new FF app, which stinks anyway.
Talking about the crappy new version of the app, has anyone figured out how in the hell to email your league from the app?

I see they're pumping First Take talking about fantasy football. Because when I think fantasy football insight, I think of Stephen A and Max Kellerman.

Watched about a minute at two different times last night and had to turn it immediately.  What a train wreck.

Watched about a minute at two different times last night and had to turn it immediately.  What a train wreck.
When you are hyping a 28 hour fantasy football marathon you should actually talk about.... you know... FANTASY FOOTBALL

It's constant inside jokes of the "cast" and oh now that the Titans drafted and signed a big RB, I think they're going to run the ball useless info that any 5th grader could figure out.  But they're "mainstream" so it's a good idea to do a show like that because every 6 hours you might hear 1 tidbit of good info.

Caliendo is the new Chris Berman

Berry is decent, but the rest of these clowns provide useless advice

I see where ESPN.com has a video up of Max Kellerman saying he prefers Olsen to Gronk. Of course First Take had to have some sort of hot take.

:goodposting:

Berry has actual relevant information that I'd want to hear, but it seems as though he has the least airtime out of these jabronis
Berry has relevant info but he never freaking talks about it.  You ever listen to his podcast?  It's nonstop babble with him name-dropping and pushing his book.  I don't care how great his life is, I want some info.  At least Field Yates tries to keep him on topic and Stephania Bell contributes.

Watched about 15 minutes of it earlier.  Now that I've gotten Jemele Hill's and Bobby Flay's analysis I'm ready for my drafts.

Seems to be getting the attention they were looking for as plenty of people are talking about it.  I haven't watched any off it so far.  I just doubt they will give much more insight than what we can find online.

I checked in a few times and all I saw was the following:

Who are the top ten at _________ position?......get a list of 10 players that everyone already knows.

Who are your sleepers?.....get three to five names that everyone already knows.

Who will under perform?.....get three to five names that have already been talked about.

Who will over achieve their adp?....get three to five names that have already been talked about.

Then repeat with a new group of annalists the next hour.  I wasn't impressed.

Love how they had Tom Brady listed as a sleeper. Yeah, no one will know about that Tom Brady guy come the day of your draft.

Also saw they had DeSean Jackson listed as a bust. Going by FF Calc's ADP for standard 10-team leagues, Jackson is going off the board as WR38. Really going out on a limb and calling a guy being drafted as a WR4 a bust.

Yes, I watched about 30-40 minutes of this yesterday and I'm ashamed.

The draft special was purely for entertainment purposes (now its debatable whether or not it was even entertaining). Anyone expecting to learn anything went into it with the wrong expectations. The first hour before they actually started drafting was brutal, once they started the draft it was kind of fun (but still cringe-worthy at times and much too drawn out) - I watched in and out while doing other things. As to only being an 8 team league, who cares? It's not a real serious league. And truth be told, the draft itself was fine, just like your local league - mostly good picks, a few reaches, a few head scratchers... Chad and TO are a pretty comical duo (and they may have been the worst drafters).

As to the whole fantasy experience on ESPN, it's not really designed for us. We know everything they have to say and more. It's for the more casual player or people that will just watch anything fantasy related. Matthew Berry is obviously knowledgeable, but he has to appeal to those who play in office leagues not just to hardcore fantasy addicts. Their "sleepers" and "busts" may seem comical, but you see plenty of that on most fantasy football sites now to be honest, even on this board sometimes.

Been looking and can not find, anybody know where I can see the final draft results? I, like most, turned it off after the first 10 minutes but would love to see the end results.

Someone? Anyone?

Been looking and can not find, anybody know where I can see the final draft results? I, like most, turned it off after the first 10 minutes but would love to see the end results.

Someone? Anyone?
Did you check ESPN's website or google it?  Seems like a good place to start.

Didn't even know this was happening....that said, I can say with 129% certainty that if you are reading this post, you are too advanced to be getting fantasy advice from ESPN.

"You know who I think is due for a big week this week? ANTONIO BROWN. Get him in your lineups people!"

Users who are viewing this thread