What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** my spouse watches #$%#$! TV/movies thread (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
lets us commiserate together

if'n a show has B/C list actors, terrible acting & corny dialogue paired with any (or preferably all) of the following: vampires, werewolves, psychics, Stephen King, unexplainable mystical phenomenon taking over electronics/other inanimate objects/people/animals, women falling over while being pursued by an oafish attacker then being slaughtered in a horrifyingly B-movie way while spurting loads of bad special fx blood, terrible acting, terrible acting, terrible acting, terrible actors acting terribly, terrible plots, terrible acting, women falling for the bad boy who looks like a fem and whose 'i'm cocky and cool' acting makes Keanu Reeves actually look like a competent actor, terrible dialogue... then she is all over it.

if browsing through Netflix, etc. and scrolling through movies whose titles we both actually recognize, with actors she knows, she will automatically bypass them for the first 1 star rated "thriller" that involves supernatural phenomena in some way.

"ooh, Ron Stallone and George Eastwood star alongside of Stefanie Johansson in this spy meets vampire aliens from space thriller where the girl falls for a serial killer who rides a three legged cow??!?!!  you probably don't want to watch this but i refuse to consider anything else at this point. :shrug: "

Normally she watches chopped and house hunter ad nauseum and I don't really care. But she's wrecked my Netflix recommendations with all of her Hallmark selections. I swear it's like a half star rating is like catnip.

My wife watches Zoo, iZombie, Forever and assorted Korean Dramas. She's not Korean.

She needed to be convinced for months to start watching Game of Thrones with me, and still refuses to start Breaking Bad. 

I swear it's like a half star rating is like catnip.
and it's not even because friends told her "this movie/show is so bad it's good".  it's just ... this is the most horrible dreck on offer this week.  MUST WATCH.

"we" are currently watching something called Haven (" Aug 22, 2015 - Haven” season 6 has just been cancelled by the Syfy network following its low ratings.) which is terrible. utterly terrible. how it managed SIX seasons of acting and storylines  this terrible is a mystery that only Syfy network fans can possibly explain (thank #### she doesn't know about the Syfy network)

Thankfully my wife and I share an affinity towards awful television; it's about our only pop culture similarity.  Below Deck, Vanderpump Rules, Southern Charm, Chrisley, shows about really obese/white trash people, shows about Amish people, shows about polygamists/wacky religious folks, etc.  I'm a little partial to Food Network and I do like FX/FXX/Comedy Central shows (Sunny, Workaholics, You're the Worst), whereas she's more partial to shows like Roseanne reruns and some show where the New Kids on the Block took a bunch of middle aged superfan women on a cruise.  

Learn to embrace the awfulness, Furley.  Come to the dark side.

Thankfully my wife and I share an affinity towards awful television; it's about our only pop culture similarity.  Below Deck, Vanderpump Rules, Southern Charm, Chrisley, shows about really obese/white trash people, shows about Amish people, shows about polygamists/wacky religious folks, etc.  I'm a little partial to Food Network and I do like FX/FXX/Comedy Central shows (Sunny, Workaholics, You're the Worst), whereas she's more partial to shows like Roseanne reruns and some show where the New Kids on the Block took a bunch of middle aged superfan women on a cruise.  

Learn to embrace the awfulness, Furley.  Come to the dark side.
i'm too much of a TV snob. i watch some of the reality shows (Survivor, the Amazing Race, but at least those are a competition...... that's what i tell myself :unsure: ) and i've sunk so low as to watch Sons of Anarchy but if'n i'm going to watch tv it's live sports, comedy shows, documentaries or movies based in some sort of reality.

My wife only watches "K" dramas now.  South Korean Soap Operas.  She thinks she's learning Korean.

i'm too much of a TV snob. i watch some of the reality shows (Survivor, the Amazing Race, but at least those are a competition...... that's what i tell myself :unsure: ) and i've sunk so low as to watch Sons of Anarchy but if'n i'm going to watch tv it's live sports, comedy shows, documentaries or movies based in some sort of reality.
I loved Sons of Anarchy, that should pretty much tell you it's terrible.  The only "appointment viewing" I watch on TV is live sports for the most part.  You name a good television show from the past ~8 years, and I probably have never seen it.  And I've been to a movie theater twice since 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm extremely lucky, my wife watches what I watch. We have the same taste in TV shows although I do watch a few that she doesn't like Survivor, The Strain and Vikings. Plus all the history, astronomy and other documentaries that I'm into. There were a couple that she kept with after I gave up on like Lost, Life on Mars and some Detroit cop show but it's rare that we don't mutually say enough is enough when a show goes downhill.

Thankfully my wife has a decent taste for shows - her biggest missteps are Grey's Anatomy and that Fairy Tale soap drama on ABC (I forget its name).

While she doesnt watch nearly the TV Dramas that I watch (Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul/Mr. Robot/The Americans/House of Cards/etc...), we actually have a decent amt of shows that we both enjoy/ed together - mainly GoT, Big Bang Theory, Mad Men, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Modern Family, Catastrophe, Jessica Jones,  Preacher, Man in the High Castle, etc...

She has a few shows that we started together that I am not up to date on: Orange is the New Black, Downton Abbey, Outlander, The Office, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

if'n a show has B/C list actors, terrible acting & corny dialogue paired with any (or preferably all) of the following: vampires, werewolves, psychics, Stephen King, unexplainable mystical phenomenon taking over electronics/other inanimate objects/people/animals, women falling over while being pursued by an oafish attacker then being slaughtered in a horrifyingly B-movie way while spurting loads of bad special fx blood, terrible acting, terrible acting, terrible acting, terrible actors acting terribly, terrible plots, terrible acting, women falling for the bad boy who looks like a fem and whose 'i'm cocky and cool' acting makes Keanu Reeves actually look like a competent actor, terrible dialogue... then she is all over it.

if browsing through Netflix, etc. and scrolling through movies whose titles we both actually recognize, with actors she knows, she will automatically bypass them for the first 1 star rated "thriller" that involves supernatural phenomena in some way.

"ooh, Ron Stallone and George Eastwood star alongside of Stefanie Johansson in this spy meets vampire aliens from space thriller where the girl falls for a serial killer who rides a three legged cow??!?!!  you probably don't want to watch this but i refuse to consider anything else at this point. :shrug: "
Your wife's taste in tv sounds awesome.  You sound like an old fuddy duddy stick in the mud and probably don't satisfy her in bed either. 

The House Hunters #### and now some show about a yacht that every week gets rented out.  She was watching some flipping Vegas house show the other day with the main character being an unbelievable d-bag and a wife that looks like she had her nose cut off.

I complain from time to time because:

A) She claims to be a huge advocate of fiction yet watches these shows

and 

B) More and more, the main characters on these shows seem to be just ####ty people with lame ginned up drama.  

My wife watches a TLC reality show about incredibly obese people called "My 600 Pound Life." This isn't just a boring show or a poorly written or acted show.  This show is literally hard to watch. I'm sure some of them have interested stories of how they got that way, but bottom line is it's an unpleasant thing to see. I can't be in the room when she's watching because it grosses me out so much. And it's not like she's just watching five minutes out of morbid curiosity, which I would understand.

Normally she watches chopped and house hunter ad nauseum and I don't really care. But she's wrecked my Netflix recommendations with all of her Hallmark selections. I swear it's like a half star rating is like catnip.
Setup a profile just for her down?

married at first sight.  Just try and top that one, it boggles my mind she watches that crap.

That said it just gives me an added excuse to either hit the garage or basement and watch whatever I want.

My wife tapes a stunning number of shows for later viewing (a smart strategy, in and of itself).  NCIS and a lot of shows like that as well as some of those home repair/shopping shows.  We were going to watch something one night, but we couldn't access the channel because she was taping four other shows at that time.  :loco:   Now that she is retired, she also has a daytime line-up, especially Ellen and a few of the cooking shows.  For all that, she continually gives me grief for the time I spend on the computer, as though my time kibitzing on this site, keeping up with some friends and family via Facebook (NTTAWWT), following the news on CNN etc., and sports on a few sites is somehow inferior to her TV viewing. 

We have been binge watching Game of Thrones together (four seasons completed), so that's something. 

My wife watches a TLC reality show about incredibly obese people called "My 600 Pound Life." This isn't just a boring show or a poorly written or acted show.  This show is literally hard to watch. I'm sure some of them have interested stories of how they got that way, but bottom line is it's an unpleasant thing to see. I can't be in the room when she's watching because it grosses me out so much. And it's not like she's just watching five minutes out of morbid curiosity, which I would understand.
Makes me feel skinny.

Mrs. Servo: Tons of Hallmark movies, some show about midgets, and that museum/history show.

I don't watch the first two as I would "MST" them and my wife hates that. :lmao:  

Setup a profile just for her down?
It's not close to being that important. I think I'm just dumbfounded we can watch Blacklist and Lie To Me together and then she goes off and watches painfully bad garbage. She's also amazed I can stomach musicals, animation, and foreign films with subtitles.

I can deal with her needing to turn on Friends to go to sleep at night. If for nothing else I quickly get baseball because she passes out so quickly.

Flea Market Flip first thing in the morning though? Line, crossed.

mr. furley said:
we've started watching Limitless

i had low expectations going in but so far.. not bad
it's not bad.

but my wife won't watch it.

I feel your pain, furls. after a day at work, dinner, putting the kids down... hope to get a few minutes of quiet "us" time, which is often tv. and it's pretty much the same as trying to decide on take-out with her... she wants me to decide- except that she hates me and antying I'd pick. 

Plus, "based on a true story"

Users who are viewing this thread