What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sully - The Movie (1 Viewer)

Joe T

Footballguy
Fewer people will go see this garbage dump of a movie than went to see that dumb concussion movie.

Calling it now.

Fewer people will go see this garbage dump of a movie than went to see that dumb concussion movie.

Calling it now.
It has Tom Hanks so it almost is assured of a $15M+ opening. I know a lot about this event, one of my former bosses was a passenger on the plane, said Sully was very matter of fact about the whole thing, in hindsight it's almost unbelievable as I never hear of a successful water landing involving a commercial airline with lots of passengers. 

They need to sell a movie so I'm sure there is some whipped up drama but Sully IMO wanted zero notoriety for doing this and was upfront in interviews that he was in way seeking the spotlight. That's either true or he plays the humble oh jeez role better than anyone I have ever seen who could pull something like this off. He made this sound routine and not abnormal. 

Concussion was a terrible movie about a terrible event and even the commercials looked very staged to appeal to the Goodell haters and NFL haters in general.  

Looks awesome, can't wait. I love that story and Hanks is perfect for the role. All in. :moneybag:  
Exactly and here is why the movie is likely to open well.  Also it's aimed at adults not children and lately there hasn't been much decent for folks who do like these types of drama or films. 

$15M+ easy. 

I thought Cpt. Phillips was great.
I agree but I don't think this will be on the same level. I would like to see it but I doubt I go to the theater so that might lend some cred to the OP, but yeah I'm going to watch it on HBO or home video or something. 

Or the freebie 2nd feature I like to add to the 1st movie I bought a ticket for.

The guy did a good job but.. it's all a bit much.  Who plays the goose?  Anthony Edwards?

What old white guy from the news doesn't Tom Hanks play in a boring movie?

It's not set for release until Sept 9th?

Minimum 2-3 more weeks of constant commercials that will show more and more of the movie to entice folks. 

Opening weekend of the NFL though is going to limit the audience unless women are attracted to this film which I can't really see why they would but...

$20M+ if they have 3 weeks to pump folks full of ads for it. 

The guy did a good job but.. it's all a bit much.  Who plays the goose?  Anthony Edwards?

What old white guy from the news doesn't Tom Hanks play in a boring movie?
Since you've obviously seen it, does it get more than 2 stars? I dont want to people to feel ripped off. 

They need to sell a movie so I'm sure there is some whipped up drama but Sully IMO wanted zero notoriety for doing this and was upfront in interviews that he was in way seeking the spotlight.
He retired from being a pilot shortly after the event and "wrote" two books and now appears on CBS news as an aviation and safety expert. I don't blame or condemn the guy, but it sure doesn't sound like a guy that wants no notoriety.

My wife saw it last night, said it was very good. But then she likes a lot of crappy movies so YMMV.

I am fascinated by the story and amazed at what he was able to do. 

I was turned off by the preview I saw where the Feds were ripping him for his decision making, i.e., he had time to make it back to the airport. I know they need to flesh out a story but any drama where they paint Sully in even a modicum of bad light is a joke for this true hero. 

An indisputably heroic ten minute event that will most definitely be amazing on the big screen.  Surrounded by.. what?  I wonder if Clint Eastwood's inevitable overdramatization will betray a deeply rooted bias against the feds.. nah

$25M+ opening weekend, this is trending up. American like their hero movies and Eastwood directed, you're obligated as a god American to go see these films. 

Old people will be out in droves. 

Apple Jack said:
A hero story even the most cynical can appreciate, Clint Eastwood directing, Tom Hanks staring....uh, sure, straight to video.
Trouble with the curve is a modern day citizen Kane.  

I liked it. I thought it'd be slow and over-dramatized but the pacing was nicely edited and didn't feel long at all.

Felt like the subject matter wasn't enough to be made into a feature. They had to manufacture drama just to get to 90 minutes. Making the NTSB out to be villains? Come on.

Users who are viewing this thread