What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL trading cards (1 Viewer)

Rhythmdoctor

Footballguy
Anyone here collect nil trading cards?  It's something I started doing last summer with my son.  I will admit I'm addicted.  I think we have 20 rookie autographs at this point.  All I buy is hobby boxes to maximize my 'hit' rate.  If any other collectors are out there, let's discuss.

My sons have been interested recently. They’ve been buying packs at Target or Walmart. Today, I looked up local card shops and took them to one. Brought back memories. Some interesting people in there. 

I still have all of my old baseball and football cards.  I stuck them all up on my son’s shelf for now and we look at them every now and then.  He is four, so he’s more interested in eating the 30 year old gum from the old sealed topps baseball packs.  But it’s cool to see his interest in sports slowly growing.  

I’m hoping to teach him to read the cards and learn about stats and would like to completely avoid the idea of collecting for value.  The card companies totally killed the collectibility of cards around 1995 by flooding the market with a bazillion variations of every card.  It’s impossible to build a complete set now and you’ve got a better shot of winning at roulette than profiting off of a new box of sports cards   

I have a few buddies over each year for a Christmas party and our ongoing tradition is to bust open a box of football cards that someone brings.  We usually randomly pick the packs and trade for favorite players and guys on our fantasy team.  

There are a couple of brands that put out draft cards around this time of year and you can pull two or three autographs out of a 20 dollar box.  I think that’s about my spending limit these days.  And it provides enough of a thrill to get a few autographs.  

I kinda hope this post takes off a bit..  On a personal note, I hadn't bought any cards for years until I thought it be pretty cool to have a couple Rookie cards like OBJ  I did get one card w/ the jersey material of Jimmy Garoppollo  But honestly, I don't even know the best brand an such to purchase

I kinda hope this post takes off a bit..  On a personal note, I hadn't bought any cards for years until I thought it be pretty cool to have a couple Rookie cards like OBJ  I did get one card w/ the jersey material of Jimmy Garoppollo  But honestly, I don't even know the best brand an such to purchase
I used to collect cards, still have a bunch (mostly baseball). Good times. Started collecting mark McGuire’s rookie year and I guess I liked him pre homerun juicing because I had a bunch of his rookie cards. I sold them when he broke the record and they spiked- I got $20 apiece, the only time I feel I was the one doing the fleecing at the card shop. Walked out with a couple hundred bucks. Just like dynasty and the stock market, it’s all about the timing. I remember a customer in the store talking about how in 50 years when that record is still standing how much all those cards would be worth and how I’d be sorry. 

I collected all sorts of cards for most of my childhood. From Michael Jordan's rookie cards to comic cards, the gulf war set, etc. Used to take a bunch in and trade them to the shop, not really thinking about how the shop owners were taking advantage of a young kid. 

I eventually sold a few large boxes, traded them for a PlayStation but kept a small shoe box of the cards I cared about along with a few other large boxes of cards the shop didn't want. I ended up giving those boxes to the nearby thrift store after getting tired of storing and moving them. Kept the small box.

I think that box got stolen from our last move but I didn't realize it until over a year afterwards. The only card I remember now was a 4 player chargers Jersey card that had Drew Brees, Tomlinson, Junior seau, and I think Doug flutie. No idea what that card is worth but I liked it with the Seau Jersey being multi colored (part of the lighting on his shoulder).  

Always thought my kids would have liked going through the collection but they have zero interest in sports cards. 

Was a huge collector of sports cards for around 20 years. Used to go to the hobby shops and a show at least once every other month. I can remember buying wax packs for 50 cents as a kid. Whenever I had extra change- that is where the money went. I sold many items around the time I got married to help pay for our wedding- think I cashed out for about 2K for all but a few items. 

I've got one small box downstairs with some older cards (50s and 60s baseball) that I kept to share with my son. He has shown interest but is more into Pokemon right now.

Was a fan as a child until too many card companies came out. Actually sounds kind of fun to get back into but would not know where to begin.

I collected all sorts of cards for most of my childhood. From Michael Jordan's rookie cards to comic cards, the gulf war set, etc. Used to take a bunch in and trade them to the shop, not really thinking about how the shop owners were taking advantage of a young kid. 

I eventually sold a few large boxes, traded them for a PlayStation but kept a small shoe box of the cards I cared about along with a few other large boxes of cards the shop didn't want. I ended up giving those boxes to the nearby thrift store after getting tired of storing and moving them. Kept the small box.

I think that box got stolen from our last move but I didn't realize it until over a year afterwards. The only card I remember now was a 4 player chargers Jersey card that had Drew Brees, Tomlinson, Junior seau, and I think Doug flutie. No idea what that card is worth but I liked it with the Seau Jersey being multi colored (part of the lighting on his shoulder).  

Always thought my kids would have liked going through the collection but they have zero interest in sports cards. 
It’s so true about shop owners taking advantage of kids back then.  There were about 6-7 card shops within 10 miles of me in the 80’s and 90’s and only two of them were kind enough to be fair and help me understand the business side of it.  The other shops were all about taking advantage of us. I remember one occasion where I had been given some older cards from a neighbor.  I had no clue what I had, but figured I could use them to get the guys I collected.  I took them to my local shop were the owner proceeded to trade me one card of the player I wanted, Jerome Walton, for 2 Tony Perez rookies from 1965 AND a 1963 Willie Stargell rookie!!!  What a deal for me!   

The other thing that killed the hobby was the collation of the packs and shop owners knowing exactly where the good cards were in each box.  They either took the best cards out and sold garbage to everyone, or saved those best packs for their best customers. Here you have a bunch of kids throwing all of their allowance money against a stacked box with literally zero chance of getting anything. 

Its really a shame that the hobby is barely hanging by a thread at this point because it really was a lot of fun.  Kids got together and traded cards, we all ran sales from our garage or front lawn during the summer, and you really appreciated the photography, artwork and design that went in to the card.  Now it’s just basically a lottery ticket.  I’d love to see a revival, much like the vintage audio and vinyl one currently going on, but I don’t think it will happen.  Oh well, good memories.  All good things come to an end I guess.  

The thing that killed it for me was when companies began selling grading services. This just took all the joy out of the hobby. No longer would you be excited to pull a rookie out of a wax or foil pack. Nope- if you really wanted to return value, you had to send the card off and hope it came back a 9 or 9.5.

This changed the hobby for me. 

You know, the most valuable card collection I probably owned was my garbage pail kids. Sure I had a few baseball cards that were worth a few bucks, but had I held onto those gpkids and cashed out when eBay was still in its infancy....guess I spent too much time on Napster....

I forgot about the gulf war cards, I remember seeing the packs but never bought any. What was it, patriot mussels and skuds?

I buy 2 hobby boxes per year and then get what rookies I missed from eBay or amazon.  Been doing it since 2002 or so.  I went back and bought all the decent qbs/rbs/wrs that I liked from the 90s as well.  So my collection is pretty good from 90s until today.  Got a few really old ones but not many.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Topps 70s and 80s sets up until about 1987 represent good value. Also need to pick up a 1989 Score set.

Most fun I had football card collecting was organizing a full 1989 Pro Set (inaugural year).

Being from the North, I have a good hockey card collection. All pre 1990 as when market became saturated. About 95% complete from 1968 to 1989. 

Be way better if not dumb when young or was that parents that hated sports. Got lucky before card craze of 90s and bought tons from people for dirt cheap. Have been buying and selling since to get collection to where it is with not much investment. Only started to spend money again in last year to complete as seems hard to find people to trade with as your needs go down. Auctions and yard sales have been good a few times. But most hockey is people who have 90s or later and thing almost 30 years and worth something. 

Do have some 2004 NFL cards from trip to MFL draft that year. They gave packs to everyone. Most gave to us Crazy Canucks. 

I don't collect for the hobby anymore but I do buy the cheaper packs at Target.  I still enjoy finding a great rookie in a pack even though I know it won't have great value.

The reason I buy the packs is to acquire the cards of the players on my main dynasty team.  I put those players in the hard stand up cases and then put my team on a table in my man cave.  Starters are to the front and backups a few inches back.  I have (left to right) my qbs, then rbs, then wrs, then TEs.

If my team wins a championship I buy a 18 card holding plaque with my teams name and year engraved, and put the main cards in the holders on the plaque and hang it on my wall.
Now, the bolded is something I can get behind.  That's a pretty cool idea.  I might even go back in time and assemble one of those for each of my previous championship teams.(won't take long or be expensive given my record).

I have a full set of 1992 Pinnacle hockey cards that I won as a kid and a binder of random cards from the couple years I was into it.

You all are making it sound pretty fun and I think I might have to jump aboard. 

I don't collect for the hobby anymore but I do buy the cheaper packs at Target.  I still enjoy finding a great rookie in a pack even though I know it won't have great value.

The reason I buy the packs is to acquire the cards of the players on my main dynasty team.  I put those players in the hard stand up cases and then put my team on a table in my man cave.  Starters are to the front and backups a few inches back.  I have (left to right) my qbs, then rbs, then wrs, then TEs.

If my team wins a championship I buy a 18 card holding plaque with my teams name and year engraved, and put the main cards in the holders on the plaque and hang it on my wall.
This is the nerdiest and coolest idea. Can you post a picture?

Does Topps not make football cards?
After the 2015 football season, Panini was awarded an exclusive license by the NFL for producing football cards. The year 2016 was the first year Topps did not produce football cards since 1955. (per wiki)

I started collecting again a couple years ago and have my son into it as well. I have struggled a bit with figuring out what I want to collect because there are just so many different sets being made by Panini that it has become impossible to collect them all. I went from the old traditional trying to build sets to focusing to favorite teams to now mostly cards that I like from a short list of players. I'm sharing this for the OP who is just getting back into collecting and may be going through these same phases. I have recently quit buying packs and boxes and spend more time buying individual cards and will buy a team or player break from time to time off of ebay. Even on favorite teams or players I tend to buy less cards but something more of a higher end brand or serial numbered and really look more for cards that I feel look nice.

I started collecting again a couple years ago and have my son into it as well. I have struggled a bit with figuring out what I want to collect because there are just so many different sets being made by Panini that it has become impossible to collect them all. I went from the old traditional trying to build sets to focusing to favorite teams to now mostly cards that I like from a short list of players. I'm sharing this for the OP who is just getting back into collecting and may be going through these same phases. I have recently quit buying packs and boxes and spend more time buying individual cards and will buy a team or player break from time to time off of ebay. Even on favorite teams or players I tend to buy less cards but something more of a higher end brand or serial numbered and really look more for cards that I feel look nice.
Part of the fun though is opening the packs to see what you got though. 

Part of the fun though is opening the packs to see what you got though. 
Have you tried doing any breaks? There is no one answer on how to collect but if you are more of a team collector and like that excitement I think you can still get that feel for it by buying a team break of your favorite team without getting stuck with a bunch of other cards you don't care about. I have done a few breaks and like the anticipation as they break on line but you can end up paying quite a premium to have an on line breaker do a break where you have bought into just your team or player.

Have you tried doing any breaks? There is no one answer on how to collect but if you are more of a team collector and like that excitement I think you can still get that feel for it by buying a team break of your favorite team without getting stuck with a bunch of other cards you don't care about. I have done a few breaks and like the anticipation as they break on line but you can end up paying quite a premium to have an on line breaker do a break where you have bought into just your team or player.
To be honest this is not going the way I expected. I thought I was just going to buy a few packs of Topps online and that’s it. This Panini is the only current option and they have a bunch of different lines of cards and such but they are also all sold out. The NFL.com store has a different type of Panini that Panini has on their site. 

I’m not that picky about which cards (players, teams, whatever) but I would get but I do want to get which line has those little pieces of jersey. What I envision is me but a box/packs of cards online, opening them and putting them in a binder. Just a fun little hobby that you get excited about when you get the mail.

In that case consider buying a hobby box from a place like Dave and Adam's Card World, or Steel City Collectibles or Blowout Cards unless you are going to just go to your local retailer to buy something. I suppose many still have a card shop near by but I'm not near any. Note that they also have Hobby boxes and retail boxes. Hobby boxes tend to provide better hits but are more expensive. You can also save big at some of those on line places if you don't mind buying some non-current year products on clearance. 

Users who are viewing this thread