What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ohio hunter ripped for proudly killing bear with spear in Canada (1 Viewer)

I like that there are bears.  Myself, I do not hunt them. That others do is fine by me so long as they do so within the law.  It did appear to me that the bear may have been baited.  I do not approve of baiting animals for recreational hunting.  If subsistence hunters bait animals I have no problem with that. 

Wtf is an ethical killing range?
A distance at which one is highly confident they can kill the animal rather than wound it and allow it to run or wander off to slowly die without being tracked and harvested by the hunter.  For me we are talking 200 yards with open sights or under 400 with optics.  There was a time when those distances were further out.  Depending on wind, weather, and cover the distances may be much closer.  On the rare occasions when I hunt with a shotgun the distances are substantially shorter.

I'm not sure for a fact he was baiting the bear from the video, but it sure seemed that the bear was attracted to that bear can.
Yes it doesn't explicitly state that he was baiting but the fact that the "hunter" had multiple attempts with his spear and the bear kept coming back to the same spot sure makes it seem like it.

Either way the bear was going to die....If the bear had got the better of the hunter....The authorities would hunt him down and kill him for mauling a human...

Either way the bear was going to die....If the bear had got the better of the hunter....The authorities would hunt him down and kill him for mauling a human...
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see the bear threaten the guy.  In fact it ran away after his first attempt with the spear.

So he baited a bear, killed it and then just left the body to rot?

Where did you get that?
"But the footage was recently republished by the Daily Mirror and Wildlife Planet, among others, and went viral, drawing outrage from critics — in part because Bowmar let the bear die on its own, leaving the area after he speared it, according to the Edmonton Journal."

Yes it doesn't explicitly state that he was baiting but the fact that the "hunter" had multiple attempts with his spear and the bear kept coming back to the same spot sure makes it seem like it.
He was definitely baiting....and its legal in Alberta. 

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see the bear threaten the guy.  In fact it ran away after his first attempt with the spear.
Yea I don't know, I'm just saying in general, if the bear would have defended himself and mauled the hunter....they would have killed him...

ETA:....I'm on the bears side.....

Last edited by a moderator:
So he baited a bear, killed it and then just left the body to rot?

Where did you get that?
"But the footage was recently republished by the Daily Mirror and Wildlife Planet, among others, and went viral, drawing outrage from critics — in part because Bowmar let the bear die on its own, leaving the area after he speared it, according to the Edmonton Journal."
There's a pic of him with the bear recovered in the article.  So no, he didn't leave it to rot.

It's typical of hunters that aren't 100% sure of their shot to leave the animal over night (on evening hunts) to ensure the animal is expired before pursuing recovery.  If you pursue an animal too soon that hasn't expired, you're going to push it into the next county and likely never recover it. 

I'm not a bear hunter, but I can see this being even more of common practice when hunting a bear with a spear, given the safety aspect of it.

They left because it was dark. They came back in the morning and got the bear. 

They left because it was dark. They came back in the morning and got the bear. 
This article is more of the same slanted bs put out by the media to get these reactions out of folks.  As a deer hunter, am I a fan of this sort of hunting?  No, I don't agree with baiting (or using dogs for that matter).  But he (apparently) did everything within the law.  Leave him alone.

The video with the emotion, metal music at the end, go pro on the spear etc is what's making this a bigger story.  If the story was 'guy hunts bear with spear' with a pic of him by the bear, meh not too much outrage. 

I'm slightly pro hunting and feel a bit...uneasy about this video. 

There's a pic of him with the bear recovered in the article.  So no, he didn't leave it to rot.

It's typical of hunters that aren't 100% sure of their shot to leave the animal over night (on evening hunts) to ensure the animal is expired before pursuing recovery.  If you pursue an animal too soon that hasn't expired, you're going to push it into the next county and likely never recover it. 

I'm not a bear hunter, but I can see this being even more of common practice when hunting a bear with a spear, given the safety aspect of it.
thanks..that is why I phrased my initial post as a question and not a statement.

Still, nothing to be proud of IMO.

HANDS UP if you saw Faust as the OP and thought this was gonna be about Alshon Jeffrey or Robbie Gould or Cutler, etcetcetc

:hey:

This article is more of the same slanted bs put out by the media to get these reactions out of folks.  As a deer hunter, am I a fan of this sort of hunting?  No, I don't agree with baiting (or using dogs for that matter).  But he (apparently) did everything within the law.  Leave him alone.
just because something is within the law doesn't make it morally right. If he wanted people to "leave him alone" he shouldn't have posted it online 

Last edited by a moderator:
just because something is within the law doesn't make it morally right. If he wanted people to "leave him alone" he shouldn't have posted it online 
What aspect is immoral in your opinion?  Hunting?  Baiting while hunting?  Hunting with spear?  Being excited and happy when hunting?

Usually when these stories come out the outrage ends up being people who simply don't like hunting, period. It makes them uneasy and they'd rather not see or think about it. 

What aspect is immoral in your opinion?  Hunting?  Baiting while hunting?  Hunting with spear?  Being excited and happy when hunting?

Usually when these stories come out the outrage ends up being people who simply don't like hunting, period. It makes them uneasy and they'd rather not see or think about it. 
The hunting for sport is what most who find it objectionable are responding to. And certainly doing so where the animal doesn't stand a chance and the strutting after the fact, as though they have done something more impressive than say taking a dump on a homeless person.

I don't have a problem with hunting in general but have never done it and wouldn't unless it meant my survival. 

I understand "moral" means something different to each person but the baiting and the fact that he used a spear do not sit right with me. 

The hunting for sport is what most who find it objectionable are responding to. And certainly doing so where the animal doesn't stand a chance and the strutting after the fact, as though they have done something more impressive than say taking a dump on a homeless person.
Yeah I get that perspective, but then there's no hunting story other than true subsistence hunting that this crowd would accept. Like, they are flatly against sport hunting, period. Regardless of how ethical, how environmentally responsible etc it may be. 

I'm fairly confident most bear hunters use big drums for their bait sites.
Not being in the bear baiting demographic I do not know one way or the other.  I do know that when camping, fishing, or hunting in bear country that many folks transport and store items in bear-proof cans, so I can see a can such as that being at a camp site without it being a baiting station.  That said, the set up sure looked to me like baiting, but again, what would I know.

He was definitely baiting....and its legal in Alberta. 
Legal or not I disapprove of the practice of baiting.  That means I do not do so.  If others are hunting inside the bounds of the law I leave them be without condemnation. I'm not one of those who feels that all others must share my views or comport themselves to my views.

Yeah I get that perspective, but then there's no hunting story other than true subsistence hunting that this crowd would accept. Like, they are flatly against sport hunting, period. Regardless of how ethical, how environmentally responsible etc it may be. 
I don't see how people think it is a sport to bait an animal, kill it with a superior weapon and then gloat/post/celebrate about it. What would this DB have done if the bear was wounded and ran off? 

I know people that hunt (deer mostly) and keep the meat to feed themselves...I have no problem with that at all. Just to kill a bear (or lion or Giraffe or whatever) so you can say you did it and gloat/post online about it means nothing to me.

I would be shocked to learn that his buddy who was filming this was not carrying a rifle.  Seems only prudent.

Legal or not I disapprove of the practice of baiting.  That means I do not do so.  If others are hunting inside the bounds of the law I leave them be without condemnation. I'm not one of those who feels that all others must share my views or comport themselves to my views.
Culver's baits me with their delicious Butter Burger deluxe and its slowly killing me. Probably the same thing. 

It's legal to bait bears.  As long as he was abiding by the laws in Ohio, and I didn't read anywhere that he wasn't, good for him.

Lots of those homeless people are pretty wily.  Often you have to bait them with a 40 to get them to hold still for a dumping.

I don't see how people think it is a sport to bait an animal, kill it with a superior weapon and then gloat/post/celebrate about it. What would this DB have done if the bear was wounded and ran off? 

I know people that hunt (deer mostly) and keep the meat to feed themselves...I have no problem with that at all. Just to kill a bear (or lion or Giraffe or whatever) so you can say you did it and gloat/post online about it means nothing to me.
Folks eat bear.  I do not find it to my palate, but some bear hunters are doing so for more than the trophy.  that said, if I had to guess, I would guess that the majority of bear hunters are trophy hunters, something which is not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread