What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Metallica album 11/18 - Hard-Wired to Self Destruct (1 Viewer)

The thing that impressed me most is that Jaymz didn't sound ONCE during that song like someone briefly but firmly squeezed his testes mid-syllable. 

Vocals are pretty basic but far better than recent years. Kind of punk.

Musically, as raw as kill em all and harder than anything since Master. 

Could make me forget Lars is a ##### and the last 20 years.

Holy crap, if the cover art I just saw online is legit though.... Wow. We're talking Sabbath "Born Again" levels of awful. 

Rocked pretty hard, but the lyrics are really, really questionable, and not from a puritanical aspect, but from an artistic one. 

We're so ####ed/#### out of luck? 

Argh. 

Every time I think of a speed metal band that aged awesomely and kept me listening, I think of Slayer.   

Rocked pretty hard, but the lyrics are really, really questionable, and not from a puritanical aspect, but from an artistic one. 

Argh. 

Every time I think of a speed metal band that aged awesomely and kept me listening, I think of Slayer.   
I didn't make it far enough for the vocals on the first listening

after reading this post I went back and listened about a third of the way through

sone of the worst lyrics I've ever heard

these guys need to retire

Terrible song.  If being fast and heavy were all it took, sure, it would be good, but it takes more than that.  Sounds like a weak effort to try and channel their great 80s work. Oh, and those lyrics... :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrible song.  If being fast and heavy were all it took, sure, it would be good, but it takes more than that.  Sounds like a weak effort to try and channel their great 80s work. Oh, and those lyrics... :lmao:
This x100.  I honestly don't know what it is, but yeah - the lyrics have been terrible the last few albums, and the music doesn't "fit" them anymore.  Can't quite put my finger on it, but it just seems forced and just don't have it in them anymore. 

Argh. 

Please. Slayer hasnt put out a good album since seasons 

Argh. 

I was thinking about this last night after listening to the new song.  A ton of other metal bands from the 80s have been able to have a resurgence in the 00s+ or at least have a one pretty damn good album since then.  Slayer, Maiden, Megadeth, even "lesser" bands like Exdodus and Testament.  BUT, those bands I listed never really tried to change who they were.  To Metallica's credit they did try to evolve more than those others, for better and worse.  I don't know what the reason is, but they have been a shell of themselves for 20+ years now. 

Holy crap, if the cover art I just saw online is legit though.... Wow. We're talking Sabbath "Born Again" levels of awful. 
By awful you must mean ####### AMAZING?

Haven't seen it

2.5/5 for the song, might have been the worst song on Death Magnetic or the best song on St. Anger

ETA looked it up.. lol

I was thinking about this last night after listening to the new song.  A ton of other metal bands from the 80s have been able to have a resurgence in the 00s+ or at least have a one pretty damn good album since then.  Slayer, Maiden, Megadeth, even "lesser" bands like Exdodus and Testament.  BUT, those bands I listed never really tried to change who they were.  To Metallica's credit they did try to evolve more than those others, for better and worse.  I don't know what the reason is, but they have been a shell of themselves for 20+ years now. 
Testament went through an actual death metal phase.

Death angel had an excellent release as well

Could make me forget Lars is a ##### and the last 20 years.
Not sure I'm able to go that far just yet. 

But yah... every metallica album there are the standard "They're back!" rumblings. This is the first song I've heard in god knows how long that actually SOUNDS like they're back. Lyrically pretty lame though. Will be interesting. 

Yeah.. cover's bad.. single cover on spotify is bad..

Kinda their thing, see also weird butt hole puckers on DM, blood and semen on Load/ReLoad, what artists

Plenty of Kill 'Em All swagger, but missing the hook. 
This is pretty much where I come down on it.  I listened three times now and I think I was just so relieved not to hear James' power country crooning or an unnecessary acoustic breakdown that I didn't care about anything else.  This album will likely end up like "Death Magnetic" for me, I'll listen to it a handful of times and then it will collect dust for eternity.

But at least that's a step up from Reload and St. Anger, neither of which I have ever heard in their entirety.  And this is coming from a guy who in the 80s was possibly the biggest Metallica fan on Earth.

There is a rumor that a huge band with a new record coming out is opening for guns tonight in LA. The show starts at 6:30 but GNR doesn't go on until 10.  The cult is confirmed as the first opener. 

Just saying. 

Users who are viewing this thread