What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are you reaching for? (1 Viewer)

Duke Johnson

Michael Thomas

Devin Funchess

Vance McDonald

They seem to find their way onto a majority of my teams this year 

In my mocks I find myself consistently reaching for Carlos Hyde at 3.3.  I've been taking him over guys like lacy, Ingram, forte.  

I just feel like he's a talented back and I'm buying into his success in chip Kelly's system.  Barring injury he could be big time.  

Also reaching for fleener in the 6th.  That might be around his adp but still I think his adp is too high given the risk he brings.  But the talent level and working with Drew Bree's in a te friendly system has my interest piqued. 

Also reaching a bit on michael Floyd, Mike Evans, and Eli manning.  All of whom I think are poised for huge seasons. 

Floyd in a contract year and he's healthy.  He's essentially the #1 on a high potency offense.  

Evans is a beast who is only being downgraded BC he wasn't healthy last year and had a rookie qb.  But with Winston improving a bit and Evans healthy I see big things in store.  

Eli has a pass friendly offense with Mcadoo and his best receiver/Rb combo in a long time.  If Shephard is who we think he is and Cruz can even be 75% of his old self in the slot, will Tye and dinner are serviceable, and Jennings/vereen are both good in the pass game.  Plus Giants defense will still suck (although not as bad) so I see fireworks in the NFL east all season 

Last edited by a moderator:
QB: Eli, Tannehill

RB: Ryan Mathews, Blount, Christine Michael, Duke Johnson (PPR)

WR: Sammy Watkins, Michael Floyd, Marvin Jones, Bruce Ellington (PPR)

TE: Zach Ertz, Jason Witten (PPR), Cameron Brate

note: if Doug Martin gets hurt for any time Sims is going to be a beast

This may make @Soulfly3 happy, but a guy I'm liking that's going later that I may grab a little early is Isaiah Crowell. He's going off the board as RB41 and I think he has RB2 upside in Hue's offense.

Also, with the way Eddie Lacy has looked through 2 preseason games, he may be worth taking a little early now too

Lamar Miller - I think he is going to have an absolutely mammoth year - will take him over any other RB in the draft.

David Johnson

Mark Ingram

Eli Manning

are probably the guys I feel most comfortable taking ahead of their ADP

In my mocks I find myself consistently reaching for Carlos Hyde at 3.3.  I've been taking him over guys like lacy, Ingram, forte.  

I just feel like he's a talented back and I'm buying into his success in chip Kelly's system.  Barring injury he could be big time.  

Also reaching for fleener in the 6th.  That might be around his adp but still I think his adp is too high given the risk he brings.  But the talent level and working with Drew Bree's in a te friendly system has my interest piqued. 

Also reaching a bit on michael Floyd, Mike Evans, and Eli manning.  All of whom I think are poised for huge seasons. 

Floyd in a contract year and he's healthy.  He's essentially the #1 on a high potency offense.  

Evans is a beast who is only being downgraded BC he wasn't healthy last year and had a rookie qb.  But with Winston improving a bit and Evans healthy I see big things in store.  

Eli has a pass friendly offense with Mcadoo and his best receiver/Rb combo in a long time.  If Shephard is who we think he is and Cruz can even be 75% of his old self in the slot, will Tye and dinner are serviceable, and Jennings/vereen are both good in the pass game.  Plus Giants defense will still suck (although not as bad) so I see fireworks in the NFL east all season 

Good post, I like Hyde as well but please don't take him over Lacey and Ingram. Forte for sure, but I just don't see him out scoring those two in any format 

This is one that I don't get. He's already going early 2nd round in most drafts. How much higher can you take him? What exactly is his ceiling? To me, taking a WR in the early 2nd tells me he has upside to overall WR1.  So it makes sense guys like Marshall are in that vicinity.  Cooks is coming off an "OK" 1100/9 season. That's barely mediocre WR2 stats, isn't it?  He does not have the frame for a big red-zone target nor does he have the elite athleticism of an OBJ to just make it happen anyway. Why exactly is everyone pumping this kid?

David Johnson

Mark Ingram

Eli Manning

are probably the guys I feel most comfortable taking ahead of their ADP
Again these don't really make sense. DJ is going top 5, Ingram is going 2nd round, sometimes early 2nd.  You can't really take them any earlier.

When someone makes a post about reaches, think 1-2 rounds early.  Something like Jordan Reed in the 2nd round would be a reach because his ADP is between mid 3rd and late 4th.  Or taking Donte Moncrief in the early 4th given his 5th round ADP.

DeAngelo Williams.

I am willing to reach a round for his RB1 production for the 1st 4 weeks, and he could be a RB1 the whole way if Bell can't stay healthy.  If you're doing the upside down, WR heavy strategy in early rounds, Williams gives you a chance to hold your RB fort down for a few weeks while you look to improve your RBs through the WW or through trades.

I am thinking of reaching on Blount unsure how high to reach.

Also reaching on Michael Thomas. Saints offense always produces decent WR numbers.

Lacy, middle of round 2 for previous top 5 pick back in shape? yes please

Demaryius Thomas, top 3 wr finish in 3 of 4 years in round 3

Drew Brees, safest bet to be qb1 overall ADP qb5

CJ anderson, over correction last year to first round, should have been a 2/3 turn kinda guy, can get him in the 4th now.

Demarco murray, scheme is right for his style

Donte Moncrief- Luck stays healthy may congrue more points than TY for a 5th round pick 

Ryan Matthews- Murray was a 2nd round pick last year and matthews stepped in and did what murray was supposed to do, now you can get matthews in the 6th with Murray out of the way?

Gore- 4th/ 5th round rb production for 7th rd pick, prob top ten last yearif luck healthy

Marvin jones- better than Tate 3 rounds later

Black unicorn- gronk goes down top 4 te in the 11th round

This is one that I don't get. He's already going early 2nd round in most drafts. How much higher can you take him? What exactly is his ceiling? To me, taking a WR in the early 2nd tells me he has upside to overall WR1.  So it makes sense guys like Marshall are in that vicinity.  Cooks is coming off an "OK" 1100/9 season. That's barely mediocre WR2 stats, isn't it?  He does not have the frame for a big red-zone target nor does he have the elite athleticism of an OBJ to just make it happen anyway. Why exactly is everyone pumping this kid?
New Orleans is going to be a bad d again, brees is a stud qb, they play 10 games on turf, they will play a lot of games from behind, he is the #1 option on a team that will play a lot from behind.  He is listed as 14th on this adp, i'd take him above jeffrey (worse qb, will share with k white, conservative coach with new oc), cooper (worse qb), kallen (coming back from injury), mike evans (3 tds last year, but everyones fave bounce back, id rather have cooks).

Just my feel... I like wrs on bad defensive teams with hall of fame qbs

Antonio Brown

WR

PIT

Odell Beckham Jr

WR

NYG

Julio Jones

WR

ATL

DeAndre Hopkins

WR

HOU

A.J. Green

WR

CIN

Dez Bryant

WR

DAL

Allen Robinson

WR

JAC

Brandon Marshall

WR

NYJ

Jordy Nelson

WR

GB

Mike Evans

WR

TB

Keenan Allen

WR

SD

Amari Cooper

WR

OAK

Alshon Jeffery

WR

CHI

Brandin Cooks

WR

NO

Either Evans and Lacy for me, depending on how the first round plays out. I'll reach if need be to take Evans early second (ahead of Marshall, Nelson, and maybe Charles). Similar to Lacy, who I feel even better about after last night.

Really tempted to reach on Sterling Shepard and/or Michael Thomas.  My league's keepers have to be rookies when you keep them.

Again these don't really make sense. DJ is going top 5, Ingram is going 2nd round, sometimes early 2nd.  You can't really take them any earlier.

When someone makes a post about reaches, think 1-2 rounds early.  Something like Jordan Reed in the 2nd round would be a reach because his ADP is between mid 3rd and late 4th.  Or taking Donte Moncrief in the early 4th given his 5th round ADP.

:rolleyes: I don't need a lesson in what you think a reach is...

Let me help you understand...

DJ's ADP is #6 overall, I have him ranked #1

Ingram's ADP is #25, I would take him at #17

Eli's ADP is #90 overall, I have him ranked 72nd.

If those don't meet your definition of reach...okay.

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php?format=standard&year=2016&teams=12&view=graph&pos=all

New Orleans is going to be a bad d again, brees is a stud qb, they play 10 games on turf, they will play a lot of games from behind, he is the #1 option on a team that will play a lot from behind.  He is listed as 14th on this adp, i'd take him above jeffrey (worse qb, will share with k white, conservative coach with new oc), cooper (worse qb), kallen (coming back from injury), mike evans (3 tds last year, but everyones fave bounce back, id rather have cooks).

Just my feel... I like wrs on bad defensive teams with hall of fame qbs
All of that applied last year and he was WR13? Despite having less competition for targets compared to this year and with the top two RBs going down with injury so they'd have to focus more on the pass. All of that and he could not crack the top 13.

I'd like to point out that Cooks had an astronomically low 8 targets inside the red-zone. Only 4 were caught and only two of those were for TDs. That put him 90th in total red-zone targets in 2015.  90th.  As in 89 other RB/WR/TEs had more targets inside the 20 yard line.

At least the other hyped players this year have some sort of reasoning for their increased performance/usage. Nothing has changed for Cooks yet he's being drafted a full round, sometimes two rounds higher than last year. Doesn't make any sense.

It's foolish to draft someone at their ceiling, which is exactly what you're doing taking him around the 12th overall receiver. Guys like Jeffrey, Cooper that are targeted every red zone trip are way better bets for higher upside with similar floors... I mean even Golden Tate will easily surpass 1,000 yards and gets 3-5 times the red zone looks, and you can get him three rounds later.  

Lamar Miller - I think he is going to have an absolutely mammoth year - will take him over any other RB in the draft.
Of the five consensus first round RBs (DJ, Gurley, ADP, Zeke & Miller), I think he has the best shot at being the RB1 for 2016. In any format.

Seriously considering him at the 1.05 in a full PPR.

Honestly not reaching for anyone...by my rankings. By ADP, sure, but I count on folks being a slave to consensus and ADP to find value.

• Jarvis Landry - starting to climb in mocks but for a guy who will likely be top 8 WR in full PPR again, still a bargain mid-3rd to early 4th.
  • Ingram/Charles/Freeman - not a reach but if they're there at 2.08 (20th) I'll take them over similarly ranked WRs. (ETA - full PPR, presuming I took a RB at 1.05.) There are no more than 12-15 RBs with reliable usage, grab 1-3 if you can (this coming from someone who has taken 2-3 WRs in the first 3 rounds five straight season in PPR.)
  • Bortles - this won't be popular but I love that offense, and I don't really care what scouting reports say about BB - volume is volume, tons of weapons.
  • Michael Thomas - love this kid. Cooks is good and Snead was adequate, but he's got the best shot at being the Saints WR1 for years to come.
  • Dion Lewis/Gio/Duke/Abdullah/Woodhead/Sims/Riddick - these are not reaches because they often don't have to be. Maybe it's just my league but I can't believe guys fill out rosters with the likes of Blount, Foster, Gore, Gordon, Ivory, Jennings, Jones, Yeldon and Jennings while I'm grabbing PPR machines. Happens every year. People like runners over nimble pass catchers who don't carry the ball much in the RZ. 
  • Ebron - insane value in the 13th/14th round. Top 6-8 TE at the price of TE15-17.

Some guys I like earlier than their ADP (PPR):

1. Jordan Reed- Assuming Watkins is gone, I will take Reed mid-late 3rd despite his 4th round ADP. 

2. Marvin Jones- He's been a guy I've targeted in the 6th round all offseason. Think his ADP eventually gets up to the 6th but still listed as a 7th rounder. 

3. Devin Funchess- Willing to take him 9th round and his ADP is still down in the 11th.

4. Josh Ferguson- Going pretty late, but I like him ~13th round. Nice floor because he should get 3rd down work and he's an injury to a 33-year old away from being a nice RB2. 

Some guys I like earlier than their ADP (PPR):

1. Jordan Reed- Assuming Watkins is gone, I will take Reed mid-late 3rd despite his 4th round ADP. 

2. Marvin Jones- He's been a guy I've targeted in the 6th round all offseason. Think his ADP eventually gets up to the 6th but still listed as a 7th rounder. 

3. Devin Funchess- Willing to take him 9th round and his ADP is still down in the 11th.

4. Josh Ferguson- Going pretty late, but I like him ~13th round. Nice floor because he should get 3rd down work and he's an injury to a 33-year old away from being a nice RB2. 
But can Ferguson run between the tackles? 

All of that applied last year and he was WR13? Despite having less competition for targets compared to this year and with the top two RBs going down with injury so they'd have to focus more on the pass. All of that and he could not crack the top 13.

I'd like to point out that Cooks had an astronomically low 8 targets inside the red-zone. Only 4 were caught and only two of those were for TDs. That put him 90th in total red-zone targets in 2015.  90th.  As in 89 other RB/WR/TEs had more targets inside the 20 yard line.

At least the other hyped players this year have some sort of reasoning for their increased performance/usage. Nothing has changed for Cooks yet he's being drafted a full round, sometimes two rounds higher than last year. Doesn't make any sense.

It's foolish to draft someone at their ceiling, which is exactly what you're doing taking him around the 12th overall receiver. Guys like Jeffrey, Cooper that are targeted every red zone trip are way better bets for higher upside with similar floors... I mean even Golden Tate will easily surpass 1,000 yards and gets 3-5 times the red zone looks, and you can get him three rounds later.  
Regarding Cooks, did you look at his last 9 games? 

It's sick. Those game averages over a whole season....whooooooaaa nelly. 

And the guy is only 22 (maybe 23 now). He most definitely can improve. 

Users who are viewing this thread