What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denon AVR-3802 still relevant ? (1 Viewer)

Ben & Jerry's

Footballguy
I can buy a new unit for $50. It is however a 2002 model with 110 watts x 7 channels, but lacks any HDMI switching.

Is this thing good for 2 channel stereo ?

Worth the price ?

I still use my Denon DR -635 in my gym with my two monster Klipsch speakers, all I did is I picked up a peach tree Bluetooth converter a BT1 from Crutchfield and it works great.  

I have about four recievers in my basement collecting dust.  One is a Denon.  I'll check it out tomorrow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For $50, yeah, why not? I still use my Denon T754 for my home theater and it powers my 2 backyard speakers as well.

It still a decent 7-ch amp.  It is kind of obsolete as a receiver.  But still sounds good if you don't care about all the switching which is probable overrated.  

I have a 7.1 channel receiver but still only 5 speakers.

I also don't have a ton of room behind the couch.

Am I really missing out on anything?  

I still have a 1999 Yamaha receiver that is built like a tank and works great for HT (5.1)..   still sounds great for movies

I can buy a new unit for $50. It is however a 2002 model with 110 watts x 7 channels, but lacks any HDMI switching.

Is this thing good for 2 channel stereo ?

Worth the price ?
For 2 channel absolutely would be fine. I wouldn't use it for a HT application though.

I still have a 1999 Yamaha receiver that is built like a tank and works great for HT (5.1)..   still sounds great for movies
Issue with that is you are missing all out on all of the new HD audio and they really are significantly better than Dolby Digital and DTS. Main reason why I got rid of my Rotel from 2000.

You'd be better served by finding something for just two channels (at $50 or $100 or whatever budget) if you really just want it for stereo / sound. 

Out of curiosity, what speakers do you have? Especially with today's digital media, it's going to be a bright sound depending on your speakers.  

Before I decided to upend my life and leave near chet-like money on the table by heading out on my own, I was looking to a new multi-channel receiver (was looking at Anthem, Integra, Pioneer Elite though always liked more craft made small brands if/when I can find them and trust them).  Right now, I am using a mid-90's NAD, which has surprisingly decent sound (not nearly as bright as the Japanese brands like Denon or Onkyo) and is 5 channel - but limited power to the rear speakers. 

As for stereo, I have some stuff from around 2000-2002 with no bells and whistles, but in terms of pure audio, not sure that much has really advanced since then as it pertains to stereo (i.e. Im using a tubed-pre amp from Audible Illusions, don't even think it's made anymore but would have retailed around $2-2,500 probably when new, I bought it used for $850, and that's paired with a now nearly 15 year old McCormick DNA 0.5 which was about $1,200 or so, don't remember.  Anyway, I need to get the tubed pre-amp repaired so that's on the shelf for now).

FWIW, my speakers (again, I don't think that much has changed in terms of underlying speaker tech over the last 15-20 years) are by a company that has gone out and now back in business, NHT (NHT 2.5i's) - they are still about as good as anything I hear for under $2000-3000, but are really bright if paired with a bright source, just a very revealing speaker.

I still use my Denon AVR-2700 from like 1997.  Works well when paired with proper speakers (which are collecting dust in my basement).  Right now it powers some janky built in speakers from 2005 for whole house audio.  It'll overheat if I try to drive them too hard.  I didn't install them and there's 4 of them, but only 2 pairs come out of the wall.  I've got to assume that they're wired in parallel behind the wall (so stupid).

I'll probably just move to a wireless system when I make the change.  I'm super slow to adopt, so that'll be another 10 years I bet.

Users who are viewing this thread