What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Update - car flood experts needed (1 Viewer)

ragincajun

Footballguy
So my wife's 4Runner has been at the Toyota dealer since 5/31.  They gave us a brand new Sequoia to drive while we were waiting on the airbag module to be replaced for the Takata recall.  Fast forward and here we are almost 3 months later and the 4Runner is still waiting at the dealership.  This past weekend the dealership flooded and the 4Runner took on water almost up to the windshield.

So my dilemma.  I called my insurance and put a claim in prior to being able to get to the dealer.  A few days later the water went down and I was able to make it to the dealership.  I spoke with the GM and the CS Mgr and was told to call their insurance to file a claim.  I called and am getting a bit of a run around. So a few questions.  First Garage Keepers Liability should make the dealerships insurance pay for the vehicle, correct?  I am fairly sure it will be considered totaled since the water went all the way up the dash.  I am going to need a new vehicle obviously.  I feel like if Toyotas product was not faulty, i.e. The airbag, then my vehicle would never have been flooded.  I guess I am extra pissd since I had 5 payments left and I feel like it's been sitting for 3 months with nothing happening.

What  say you?  Am I screwed?  I feel like I should be covered by the dealers insurance.  I also feel like Toyota should assist a bit.  Not sure how much but a free extended warranty?  Free paint protectant.  Hell I don't know.  Anyone ever go through something like this?

A few notes: 2011 4Runner.  2k to payoff.  There was a sticker on the car from the dealer dated 3 weeks ago saying we will give you 24k on a trade in, which I took pics of.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they were willing to pay your 24K, you should get 26-30, which would be the corresponding retail price. They may ##### and moan, but that's the minimum you settle for. You left merchandise under their care that will cost that figure to replace. Period. Don't let them pawn you off on their substandard insurance coverage, as they are ultimately responsible. None of the airbag stuff really matters.

Also, your own insurance should cover you. Let them and then they'll go after the other insurance companies. At the very least they should strongly advocate, as they may be responsible for any "short" coverage the other insurance does not pay you. 

If they were willing to pay your 24K, you should get 26-30, which would be the corresponding retail price. They may ##### and moan, but that's the minimum you settle for. You left merchandise under their care that will cost that figure to replace. Period. Don't let them pawn you off on their substandard insurance coverage, as they are ultimately responsible. None of the airbag stuff really matters.
They weren't offering to pay him $24K.  They offered him a trade allowance of $24K.  Actual Cash Value is not equal to trade allowance.

So my wife's 4Runner has been at the Toyota dealer since 5/31.  They gave us a brand new Sequoia to drive while we were waiting on the airbag module to be replaced for the Takata recall.  Fast forward and here we are almost 3 months later and the 4Runner is still waiting at the dealership.  This past weekend the dealership flooded and the 4Runner took on water almost up to the windshield.

So my dilemma.  I called my insurance and put a claim in prior to being able to get to the dealer.  A few days later the water went down and I was able to make it to the dealership.  I spoke with the GM and the CS Mgr and was told to call their insurance to file a claim.  I called and am getting a bit of a run around. So a few questions.  First Garage Keepers Liability should make the dealerships insurance pay for the vehicle, correct?  I am fairly sure it will be considered totaled since the water went all the way up the dash.  I am going to need a new vehicle obviously.  I feel like if Toyotas product was not faulty, i.e. The airbag, then my vehicle would never have been flooded.  I guess I am extra pissd since I had 5 payments left and I feel like it's been sitting for 3 months with nothing happening.

What  say you?  Am I screwed?  I feel like I should be covered by the dealers insurance.  I also feel like Toyota should assist a bit.  Not sure how much but a free extended warranty?  Free paint protectant.  Hell I don't know.  Anyone ever go through something like this?

A few notes: 2011 4Runner.  2k to payoff.  There was a sticker on the car from the dealer dated 3 weeks ago saying we will give you 24k on a trade in, which I took pics of.
Sorry you are having to go through this.  Initial thoughts are the dealerships insurance should cover everything.  Keep making the payments on the 4Runner - don't know how quick this will be handled due to the number of claims in the area.  I don't think that Toyota has any liability but they may throw something in.  They used to have a decent sized customer satisfaction budget after the perceived accelerator issues.  Best chance of Toyota chipping in is if you try to use the insurance settlement towards a new Toyota.  Best of luck.

If Toyota screws you over, I can get you a deal at Robinson Brothers.  You'd look good in a new Explorer.

Sounds like a great situation. You've got a higher end / newer loaner and you'll end up collecting full value on your car. 

You'll be good.

Thanks all!

Yeah my wife likes the Sequoia and we will probably go with another Yota if they offer enough incentive.  PM the details as I may get my wife to look at an Expedition but I don't think I am prying this Sequioa away from her.

Bottom line is that my wife lost everything in Katrina.  We thought we were safe this storm so I am trying to make it as painless as possible for her.

They weren't offering to pay him $24K.  They offered him a trade allowance of $24K.  Actual Cash Value is not equal to trade allowance.
Unless the dealership is unscrupulous, trade-in should be somewhere around 85-110% of wholesale/auction value. Insurance should be retail. I stand by my figures

Also, your own insurance should cover you. Let them and then they'll go after the other insurance companies. At the very least they should strongly advocate, as they may be responsible for any "short" coverage the other insurance does not pay you. 
 I couldn't disagree more with using your insurance here. This has nothing to do with your insurance.  I wouldn't even notify them until you get your new vehicle. 

I couldn't disagree more with using your insurance here. This has nothing to do with your insurance.  I wouldn't even notify them until you get your new vehicle. 
Your rates should not go up on a flood claim. It had nothing to do with your driving ability and in my previous experience (3 cars flooded) they are very responsive and borderline generous in disaster situations. My experience dealing with car lot insurance has been slow, tedious and tight-fisted.

cos knows flooding, listen to him.

you have all the cards here.  be nice and demand the moon. eta: get the claim in ASAP, so you'll be at the front of the line.

So update.....

Still waiting on an adjuster to come look at my car.  Toyota is offering 3 months of deferred payments to those flooded, but so is every other dealer and I don't need deferments.  Toyota is not offering any other incentive.  I guess what upsets me is at least come at me with 0% or something.  I don't think it is right to profit off of my loss.

So update.....

Still waiting on an adjuster to come look at my car.  Toyota is offering 3 months of deferred payments to those flooded, but so is every other dealer and I don't need deferments.  Toyota is not offering any other incentive.  I guess what upsets me is at least come at me with 0% or something.  I don't think it is right to profit off of my loss.
You seem to be taking this personally. Even when a dealer offers 0%, I always do better getting a lower cash price from the dealership and (if I finance) getting a 1-2% loan at a credit union. Toyota is not a person, its a massive corporation and they are never going to deal with you like a buddy. So just be a cold-blooded hardass in your dealings with them. Its just bidness.

So update.....

I know this situation is frustrating, but why do you think Toyota should give you some kind of incentive? 

I agree with both of you.  Perhaps it is more emotional, but I feel if you trace it back to the root cause then the whole reason the car was there was due to a recall which is an issue with QC on the part of a Toyota supplier.  If the car never had a recall then it would not have been flooded.  I see it differently than if I had dropped it off for an oil change and it flooded.  Is my logic flawed?  

Add in that the Customer Retention Manager mentioned they thought Toyota would do something.

In the end I can qualify for whatever financing is available and could make a run at paying cash for something but is 0% to much to ask?  One of the benefits for them with an interest rate is to make more money.

Would the car truly be considered totaled?  I'm sure there's damage, but if it's dried out properly, it should function, right? I feel like I need @SWC expertise here.  I recall listening to an episode of CarTalk where some guy's truck dropped into a lake and was able to get it started after drying it out... Maybe I'm not recalling that correctly.  

you ask and i answer well probably more like you ask and i say something stupid but man if it went totally underwasser all off the electronics are probably shot and if you got water in the cylinders and crank case she probably needs a total rebuild from the bottom up let me put it this way when your head gasket blows its a big deal because you can get coolant in with your oil and hey guess what your hosed now image that except everywhere in the engine and with a hole lotta more water i would take it to someone you trust but most likely shes a gonner but hey my honest real advice is do not listen to some dumb milwaukee jabrohani on the internet get it in to someone you trust take that to the bank brochachio 

Would the car truly be considered totaled?  I'm sure there's damage, but if it's dried out properly, it should function, right? I feel like I need @SWC expertise here.  I recall listening to an episode of CarTalk where some guy's truck dropped into a lake and was able to get it started after drying it out... Maybe I'm not recalling that correctly.  
eh, my wife drove in to a flooded street.. got water up to mid-door. totaled her car. there was so much electrical damage, she opened the door to get out so the inside got flooded.  "drying it out" wasn't going to be anywhere near sufficient. 

It's totaled.  Not officially.  Water almost made it to the dashboard.  The dealership did not open it for a few weeks, i.e. Mold.  All the electronics are going to be shot.  The car needs to be completely gutted of the interior and all electronics.  All fluids drained and flushed.  Even then I am not so sure about internal rust on some components.

ps sorry to hear about the car at least it was not a hemi so it is no real loss to the world but still a lot of runnin around and messing with insurance guys that aint no fun no ways take that to the bank bromigo 

you could just put some duck tape over the yoda emblem then use a magic marker to write jeep on it slap a bunch of kc lights all over it and either otis or icon will way over pay for it as a parts car who knows jeep people are wierd about that stuff that is all i am sayin i mean its like adding a single kc light doubles the value to them and you can use that to take it to the bank 

Seems to me that they have given you a better loaner for the duration and it sounds like you will be able to keep it throughout the process.  Isn't that enough?  I guess you are now forced to buy a new, or new to you car, that you didn't necessarily want but sounds like they have been pretty good to you thus far. 

Seems to me that they have given you a better loaner for the duration and it sounds like you will be able to keep it throughout the process.  Isn't that enough?  I guess you are now forced to buy a new, or new to you car, that you didn't necessarily want but sounds like they have been pretty good to you thus far. 
Can't argue there.

SWC said:
you could just put some duck tape over the yoda emblem then use a magic marker to write jeep on it slap a bunch of kc lights all over it and either otis or icon will way over pay for it as a parts car who knows jeep people are wierd about that stuff that is all i am sayin i mean its like adding a single kc light doubles the value to them and you can use that to take it to the bank 
As the former Jeep owner of a CJ7, a YJ, a TJ, an XJ, and a ZJ I must admit this is true.

You're not being forced to buy a new car. Why don't you get a car comparable to what was lost and maybe ask Toyota to pay your deductible?

You're made whole and had a few free months use of a loaner. 

That much water is totalled.  Once it gets into the dash and electronics it's shot. Sure, it may start up but you're going to have issues eventually.  

Users who are viewing this thread