What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bibleguys - My Journey These Past Couple of Years (1 Viewer)

CrossEyed2

Footballguy
Those of you who have been around for a while are probably familiar with my past postings here. I was always a staunch defender of Christianity and the church. I was a pastor for 8 years, and served in ministry full-time for another three years. 

But over the last couple of years, and especially the past year, I've learned a lot of things. And one of the more surprising things I learned is that, if you want to truly learn what the Bible teaches, you probably have to get away from the church. 

Now I'm not talking about salvation by grace through the death and resurrection of Christ. That part they get. But the rest of it? The church has thoroughly mangled the truth of God's word. Most Christians can't really understand the New Testament properly because they are so uninformed about the Old Testament. 

The biggest problem, in my opinion? Dispensationalism.  Not understanding that there is no distinction between Israel (the people, not the current nation) and the church has led to a myriad of unbiblical teachings. The church didn't start at Pentecost in the first century, the church started at Sinai when Yahweh gave Moses the commandments. That's when Yahweh, the bridegroom, married Israel, the bride. Then, because of her unfaithfulness, Yahweh divorced the northern kingdom, the house of Isreal. The northern 10 tribes were scattered throughout the world. Yet God promised that He would bring her back. But how could that happen, His own law says that once a bride is given a certificate of divorce and defiles herself, the first husband can never take her back. The Bible declares, in no uncertain terms, that Israel defiled herself: "Have you seen what she did, that faithless one, Israel, how she went up on every high hill and under every green tree, and there played the whore?"

So how could God ever reunite with Israel without breaking His own laws? Well, the only thing that releases one from the law of marriage/divorce is death. And that's why Yahshua had to die. His death released God from the law of marriage/divorce. So when He returns again He is free to marry His bride, Israel, once again. The bride is also made new by grace, through faith, as Paul explains in Romans 6 : "Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life."

So the groom died, and the bride died, but both were brought back to new life. And when Yahshua returns, the Millennial Kingdom will see the reunification of the house of Israel (northern kingdom) and the house of Judah (southern kingdom) and the marriage of Yahshua (the bridegroom) and a united Israel (the bride). The unification of the house of Israel and the house of Judah is what Ezekiel is talking about in Ezekiel 37. The bones being brought to life and the two sticks coming together to form one stick are both about Yahshua's return and the millennial kingdom. And what we think of as the "church" are a group of people that includes both physical descendants of the scattered northern 10 tribes, as well as "foreigners" who choose to join themselves to Israel. Either way, we are told that believers are grafted into Israel, the olive tree. 

But you won't find these truths taught in most churches. That's the disappointing part. I had to, essentially, leave the church in order to learn the truth. I do still attend worship services because I do want my kids to learn about God from other people, not just myself and my wife. But nowhere near as consistently as I used to.

I told my wife the other day, I've never been more interested in God's word, and I've never been less interested in the institutional church. 

I would love for this thread to be a place where we could have meaningful discussions about some of the topics that the church either gets wrong, or just plain ignores.  

If you look at your history, you'll see where the church brought all sorts of pagan teachings into the church.  The reasons why are well documented.  

Hellfire - Teaching that scared people straight that came straight from plenty of myths that abounded

Trinity - Jesus was the son.  Then within a century of his death, he began getting worshipped by some, then he began getting treated as God, then confusion set in, then a pagan Roman emperor ended up deciding the whole thing despite the teaching being a massive contradiction to the entire OT, as well as NT. Of course over time some spurious verses crept in, and then as the trinity became "dogma", translation bias crept in even further.

Gods name:. You yourself said it, Gods name was Yahweh, or in modern English Jehovah.  Why would it change to Jesus?  Well it didn't.  But Gods name did get wiped out of the bible, despite it being there thousands of times.

I honestly don't think ive ever heard your divorce theory for Jesus death before.  That's a new one to me, and I thought I'd heard it all.

If you REALLY want to look at what the church messed with, you gotta go deeper than what you're probably comfortable with.  Once you recognize that the intentions of the church for over 1,000 years weren't good, at all, you'll find no reason to consider any of their teachings valid.  Sounds like you're doing that.  Keep up the open-minded search.

Yeah,  you're not going to get more meaningful discussion of God's Word or church problems on here than you do at church.  

I think you've lost touch.  You never have to leave corporate worship or fellowship with Christians to find the truth.  Love others.  They're right in front of.  Your fellow brothers in Christ need it as much as anyone and it sounds like you've alienated yourself from them because they're "doing it wrong"  and you found out "the truth."  Don't miss the whole point of it all while trying to understand the Bible further.  In the last days,  the Church will need to come together for the battle that will ensue,  not spread apart and figure out things on their own. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah,  you're not going to get more meaningful discussion of God's Word or church problems on here than you do at church.  I think you've lost touch.  You never have to leave corporate worship or fellowship with Christians to find the truth.  Love others.  They're right in front of.  Your fellow brothers in Christ need it as much as anyone and it sounds like you've alienated yourself from them because they're "doing it wrong"  and you found out "the truth."  Don't miss the whole point of it all while trying to understand the Bible further.  In the last days,  the Church will need to come together for the battle that will ensue,  not spread apart and figure out things on their own. 
I blame Obama.

Yeah,  you're not going to get more meaningful discussion of God's Word or church problems on here than you do at church.  

I think you've lost touch.  You never have to leave corporate worship or fellowship with Christians to find the truth.  Love others.  They're right in front of.  Your fellow brothers in Christ need it as much as anyone and it sounds like you've alienated yourself from them because they're "doing it wrong"  and you found out "the truth."  Don't miss the whole point of it all while trying to understand the Bible further.  In the last days,  the Church will need to come together for the battle that will ensue,  not spread apart and figure out things on their own. 
Extremely well said Flap. 

Crosseyed I pray you find a place of worship that will quench your thirst for knowledge but will also keep you connected with God's people. 

So you found good old fashioned Biblical Theology (as opposed to context-destroying Systematic Theology). Welcome brother. 

proninja said:
I don't know about that. We've had some good discussion around this place. And some churches have maybe two people who even know the difference between biblical and systematic theology, to use roboto as an example. 
Let me start to try to address some of the comments here.

First, I tried to get folks in the church to hear what I'm saying. I've engaged quite a few pastors. They won't see it. They refuse to think outside of their dispensational box. I was even accused of heresy for suggesting that Torah is still applicable to believers today. The institutional church is broken, and I truly believe it is beyond repair. That's why there has been a fairly significant movement of people like myself who have come to understand that the church has become more about it's traditions (which are mostly pagan in origin, but that's another story) than about God's truth. 

So while I haven't yet been able to find a local group with which to fellowship, I am in regular interaction with other believers who find themselves in the same situation. 

And, quite frankly, most church attenders are there for the social club aspect of church. They really aren't interested in being challenged by God's word. And they certainly aren't interested in attempting to restructure their entire understanding of Scripture, regardless of how much truth you show them. 

proninja said:
welcome back 

What/who have you been reading? 
Thanks. I've been reading anything and everything. Mostly Scripture, and mostly the prophets. The church doesn't understand what Paul wrote because they don't understand what Paul read.

I think what first turned the light on for me was an article that was in the appendix of a prophecy book I was reading. It was about the two houses (Israel and Judah) and just made so much sense. And it started making other things make more sense. And once that snowball started rolling downhill, it just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Since then I've branched out into all kinds of topics, like the rapture timing, who/what the beasts of Revelation actually will be, the watchers and the nephilim, the literal understanding of the creation account, the pagan origins of the vast majority of our holiday traditions, God's feast days and why the church should be observing them (along with the dietary laws), and on and on and on. It just seemed like every topic led to two or three others.

shader said:
If you look at your history, you'll see where the church brought all sorts of pagan teachings into the church.  The reasons why are well documented.  

Hellfire - Teaching that scared people straight that came straight from plenty of myths that abounded

Trinity - Jesus was the son.  Then within a century of his death, he began getting worshipped by some, then he began getting treated as God, then confusion set in, then a pagan Roman emperor ended up deciding the whole thing despite the teaching being a massive contradiction to the entire OT, as well as NT. Of course over time some spurious verses crept in, and then as the trinity became "dogma", translation bias crept in even further.

Gods name:. You yourself said it, Gods name was Yahweh, or in modern English Jehovah.  Why would it change to Jesus?  Well it didn't.  But Gods name did get wiped out of the bible, despite it being there thousands of times.

I honestly don't think ive ever heard your divorce theory for Jesus death before.  That's a new one to me, and I thought I'd heard it all.

If you REALLY want to look at what the church messed with, you gotta go deeper than what you're probably comfortable with.  Once you recognize that the intentions of the church for over 1,000 years weren't good, at all, you'll find no reason to consider any of their teachings valid.  Sounds like you're doing that.  Keep up the open-minded search.
I'm not quite ready to declare everything that's been taught over the years as null and void. Like I said, I've never been more interested in the Bible. It's a truly fascinating work. But I do agree that there's been some manipulation along the way. I think that's why God allowed the Dead Sea Scrolls to be preserved and then found at just the right time.

There are also some books that I think are more authoritative than the church would have you believe. Specifically, Enoch, Jasher, and Jubilees. 

I have come to believe that the Roman church was/is truly evil and that the reformers brought entirely too much of it into the Protestant churches. The break with Rome wasn't as complete as it should have been. 

trogg78 said:
Says who?
Well, me, of course!  :P

I was unemployed for a very long stretch of time, and I now consider it a huge blessing. The understandings I've come to are the result of literally thousands and thousands of hours of reading, listening, watching, and praying. 

Do I have everything correct? Certainly not. But the Scriptures have never made more sense to me than they do now. 

Studying Scripture outside of the constraints of traditional church systems has been hugely freeing and incredibly eye opening. 

Well, me, of course!  :P

I was unemployed for a very long stretch of time, and I now consider it a huge blessing. The understandings I've come to are the result of literally thousands and thousands of hours of reading, listening, watching, and praying. 

Do I have everything correct? Certainly not. But the Scriptures have never made more sense to me than they do now. 

Studying Scripture outside of the constraints of traditional church systems has been hugely freeing and incredibly eye opening. 
Serious question:. How much time have you spent reading books by skeptics or atheists?

CrossEyed2 said:
Those of you who have been around for a while are probably familiar with my past postings here. I was always a staunch defender of Christianity and the church. I was a pastor for 8 years, and served in ministry full-time for another three years. 

But over the last couple of years, and especially the past year, I've learned a lot of things. And one of the more surprising things I learned is that, if you want to truly learn what the Bible teaches, you probably have to get away from the church. 

Now I'm not talking about salvation by grace through the death and resurrection of Christ. That part they get. But the rest of it? The church has thoroughly mangled the truth of God's word. Most Christians can't really understand the New Testament properly because they are so uninformed about the Old Testament. 

The biggest problem, in my opinion? Dispensationalism.  Not understanding that there is no distinction between Israel (the people, not the current nation) and the church has led to a myriad of unbiblical teachings. The church didn't start at Pentecost in the first century, the church started at Sinai when Yahweh gave Moses the commandments. That's when Yahweh, the bridegroom, married Israel, the bride. Then, because of her unfaithfulness, Yahweh divorced the northern kingdom, the house of Isreal. The northern 10 tribes were scattered throughout the world. Yet God promised that He would bring her back. But how could that happen, His own law says that once a bride is given a certificate of divorce and defiles herself, the first husband can never take her back. The Bible declares, in no uncertain terms, that Israel defiled herself: "Have you seen what she did, that faithless one, Israel, how she went up on every high hill and under every green tree, and there played the whore?"

So how could God ever reunite with Israel without breaking His own laws? Well, the only thing that releases one from the law of marriage/divorce is death. And that's why Yahshua had to die. His death released God from the law of marriage/divorce. So when He returns again He is free to marry His bride, Israel, once again. The bride is also made new by grace, through faith, as Paul explains in Romans 6 : "Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life."

So the groom died, and the bride died, but both were brought back to new life. And when Yahshua returns, the Millennial Kingdom will see the reunification of the house of Israel (northern kingdom) and the house of Judah (southern kingdom) and the marriage of Yahshua (the bridegroom) and a united Israel (the bride). The unification of the house of Israel and the house of Judah is what Ezekiel is talking about in Ezekiel 37. The bones being brought to life and the two sticks coming together to form one stick are both about Yahshua's return and the millennial kingdom. And what we think of as the "church" are a group of people that includes both physical descendants of the scattered northern 10 tribes, as well as "foreigners" who choose to join themselves to Israel. Either way, we are told that believers are grafted into Israel, the olive tree. 

But you won't find these truths taught in most churches. That's the disappointing part. I had to, essentially, leave the church in order to learn the truth. I do still attend worship services because I do want my kids to learn about God from other people, not just myself and my wife. But nowhere near as consistently as I used to.

I told my wife the other day, I've never been more interested in God's word, and I've never been less interested in the institutional church. 

I would love for this thread to be a place where we could have meaningful discussions about some of the topics that the church either gets wrong, or just plain ignores.  
12 years of parochial schooling and I'm  :whoosh: here. 

You ever think of joining the Catholic Church?

The church didn't start at Pentecost in the first century, the church started at Sinai when Yahweh gave Moses the commandments. That's when Yahweh, the bridegroom, married Israel, the bride. Then, because of her unfaithfulness, Yahweh divorced the northern kingdom, the house of Isreal. The northern 10 tribes were scattered throughout the world. Yet God promised that He would bring her back. But how could that happen, His own law says that once a bride is given a certificate of divorce and defiles herself, the first husband can never take her back. The Bible declares, in no uncertain terms, that Israel defiled herself: "Have you seen what she did, that faithless one, Israel, how she went up on every high hill and under every green tree, and there played the whore?"
That's some creepy ####.

It's pretty much a fact that the vast majority of Christians don't know the bible. They go off whatever their preacher tells them, which is usually wrong and/or biased. 

The older I get the less religious I become, or maybe church just turns me off because of the gross hypocrisy and ignorance. 

In college I took a British literature class and I had a really good professor. He explained to us how a lot of Christian holidays have pagan roots, specifically Christmas & Easter. Everything from the Christmas tree to Easter eggs is rooted in paganism. 

I wonder how many people are aware of that. Like, have they ever asked themselves why they put a tree in their house every year for Christmas. Or where the hell Easter bunny comes from.

proninja said:
I'd hazard a guess that pretty much every Christian on the internet is aware of that, as it's one of the chief gotcha things people who aren't very well read themselves bring up. 
Confirmation bias is a powerful thing.

Kudos to you for taking a step back and viewing things more objectively.  I don't see things the same as you do, but I hope you find what you are looking for.  Good luck.  :thumbup:

Serious question:. How much time have you spent reading books by skeptics or atheists?
I've read some Hitchens and some Ehrman. Enough to know that their arguments weren't compelling to me.

i don't struggle with the existence of God, I just want to get to the truth that the institutional church has hidden. 

I'm not quite ready to declare everything that's been taught over the years as null and void. Like I said, I've never been more interested in the Bible. It's a truly fascinating work. But I do agree that there's been some manipulation along the way. I think that's why God allowed the Dead Sea Scrolls to be preserved and then found at just the right time.

There are also some books that I think are more authoritative than the church would have you believe. Specifically, Enoch, Jasher, and Jubilees. 

I have come to believe that the Roman church was/is truly evil and that the reformers brought entirely too much of it into the Protestant churches. The break with Rome wasn't as complete as it should have been. 
Im with you on the Roman Church.  The trinity is tough for most people, because that is one belief that carried on into Protestant Churches, and is quite deeply ingrained into people's minds.  But there were spurious verses added, and also translation decisions made, due to that belief.  

I can't agree on the bible, although it's possible that some of those books have historical value. 

But if the bible is more than just books written by men (i.e. If it was inspired), then the same God who has allowed for it to become the most widely translated and published book, and sent to the far-flung corners of the earth, would also protect it from the reaches of the Catholic Church.  So personally, I don't spend too much time investigating the actual composition of the bible. 

Glad to see your journey keep up the search.

It's pretty much a fact that the vast majority of Christians don't know the bible. They go off whatever their preacher tells them, which is usually wrong and/or biased. 

The older I get the less religious I become, or maybe church just turns me off because of the gross hypocrisy and ignorance. 

In college I took a British literature class and I had a really good professor. He explained to us how a lot of Christian holidays have pagan roots, specifically Christmas & Easter. Everything from the Christmas tree to Easter eggs is rooted in paganism. 

I wonder how many people are aware of that. Like, have they ever asked themselves why they put a tree in their house every year for Christmas. Or where the hell Easter bunny comes from.
It's widely known, from my experience. The bigger question is whether people think the "pagan roots" of these celebrations matter, which clearly most don't.

Once you start questioning things, it is just a matter of time. :thumbup:

Good luck old fantasy football message board religious thread rival.

proninja said:
A couple thoughts, if you don't mind:

It's odd to me that you'd deny dispensationalism in the first post then talk about rapture timing in this one, as a pre-trib rapture is one of the signature doctrines of dispensationalism. 

I'd be interested in hearing your argument that the OT dietary laws are still binding

It seems that you've recognized one of the chief errors of dispensationalism but haven't extracted yourself from it, and by rejecting (or at least being deeply suspicious of) the authority of the church and spending time alone with your bible you are recreating the method that led to american protestant dispensationalism but coming to different conclusions. Does this concern you? 
You misread what I wrote...or read into it. 

I said it was a topic of study. I rejected the pre-trib rapture clear back when I was still pastoring. The rapture is simply the event when Jesus returns and transports the few remaining believers from where they are to Jerusalem for the millennial kingdom. But the vast majority of Christians will have already been killed. 

As for the dietary laws, it's quite simple. The passages that A Christians point to for their dismissal aren't about the dietary laws. Read in context that becomes quite evident. Over and over throughout Scripture we are told that God's law is a blessings and are eternal. So why would they ever change? The dietary laws were given for our benefit, just like every other law (better translated "instructions" actually). Pork, shellfish, etc. are actually incredibly unhealthy to consume. That's why Yahweh told His people that they aren't for food.  

First, a little context so that what I say is hopefully received closer to the way I mean it.

Grew up in a Lutheran church, was confirmed and fairly active there until my high school and college years, drifted away from religion/church until I was born again 20 years ago at age 30.  Part of the reason I fell away was b/c I was unable to answer the critcs when they challenged my beliefs, so when I was born again, I strongly gravitated toward apologetics and discernment was always in the forefront of my spiritual thought life. So now, 20 years later, I too have come to look beyond church/Christianity and come to see that while I claim Jesus' death and resurrection as the only atonement for my sins past, present and future, I also know that I am far from truly being Christian.  I struggle with what that implies regarding my true eternal disposition, but I'm still alive so I will hopefully work that out at some point.

Having said that, I too have reached a point where I'm finding that church has less and less appeal to me and find it more difficult to go on a regular basis, plus I believe that the undercurrent that has has seen the rise of so many "non-denominational" churches has turned "non-denominational" into a denomination of its own and has more in common with pop psychology than anything else, loaded down with 'action points', and always using Scripture to support their message instead of the other way around.  I find that disappointing but not heretical and not necessarily "wrong".  

I guess that where I am now is that to me, 'religion'/'Christianity' is not about following a set of laws/rules to the letter but rather it's about letting the spirit of the laws/rules inspire and guide you in your relationship with our Creator as well as navigating our lives in a way that honors/pleases Him, so that while it's important to know understand the things you're talking about, I don't know that it's crucial information when it comes to being part of the rank and file, which for some of us, that's about the best we can do. 

I too fretted and pondered many of the 'big' questions you mentioned, though not nearly as thoroughly as you, and I decided that they were too big for me and hindered my focus on what He says about living in the here and now, so they remain unsettled, and I'm okay with that.

Bottom line, I think 'true' Christianity revolves around our relationship with God and how close we can get to living the way He wants us to.  I think that's how it always has been and because that's an issue that needs to be worked out on a personal level, the corporate side of our spiritual life is always going to have some thorns and will never be perfect. 

In the time it's taken me to compose this, many more replies have appeared.  I want to share my thoughts on some of them but not in this post as it's too long already.

You misread what I wrote...or read into it. 

I said it was a topic of study. I rejected the pre-trib rapture clear back when I was still pastoring. The rapture is simply the event when Jesus returns and transports the few remaining believers from where they are to Jerusalem for the millennial kingdom. But the vast majority of Christians will have already been killed. 

As for the dietary laws, it's quite simple. The passages that A Christians point to for their dismissal aren't about the dietary laws. Read in context that becomes quite evident. Over and over throughout Scripture we are told that God's law is a blessings and are eternal. So why would they ever change? The dietary laws were given for our benefit, just like every other law (better translated "instructions" actually). Pork, shellfish, etc. are actually incredibly unhealthy to consume. That's why Yahweh told His people that they aren't for food.  
God changes his laws based on the time, wouldn't you acknowledge this?  I mean, we aren't killing animals and sacrificing them now, so I'd imagine that point is quite obvious?  I think the Law was amazing and it kept an ancient people clean with rules that far preceded man's understanding of why the rules were made (sanitary rules, etc)

I'd also reject the notion that pork and shellfish are unhealthy to consume in modern society.

But...for an ancient people 3-4 thousand years ago, perhaps they were quite unhealthy, especially without refrigeration. I'd imagine there was a good reason to have that law then, and not to have it now, and personally, I can't find any reason why the scriptures in Acts 10 (as an example) don't also apply to food, as they did to people of the nations coming into the early congregation.  There's simply no scripture that commands all these newly baptized Gentiles to also begin eating like the Jews, at least that I've found.

Now I'm not talking about salvation by grace through the death and resurrection of Christ

Everything else is secondary and shouldn't cause division amongst Christians.  The apostles disagreed so not sure how we can be different.

Once you start questioning things, it is just a matter of time. :thumbup:

Good luck old fantasy football message board religious thread rival.
I'd say Crosseyed, if he's anything like me, got past the atheist/non-atheist issue long ago in his life.  I say that because he was debating the subject matter ten+ years ago.  Face it, there's no way to get in big debates with evolutionists and atheists without it having an effect on you, and causing you to really analyze your beliefs.  I know that happened to me, and I'd bet it happened to Crosseyed too.    

I like what you're saying here, and perhaps it's this kind of teaching that needs to find its place in the mainstream; however, it would have to be handled just the right way, as it could easily become an example of micromanaging people's lives and/or impugning their salvation, and one aspect of the Gospel is that while the law and the prophets have not been replaced, we have been freed from being slaves to them.  Our salvation does not hinge on what we eat, drink, wear, etc., and I think that's kind of where the Church is now: focused on salvation and doing good to others.  I agree that we should be better at doing those things if we're doing it on a better diet, but to me, a detail like this, if elevated too high, can lead to focusing on the 'wrong' things and/or puts roadblocks in the way of what's truly important to Him.

I like what you're saying here, and perhaps it's this kind of teaching that needs to find its place in the mainstream; however, it would have to be handled just the right way, as it could easily become an example of micromanaging people's lives and/or impugning their salvation, and one aspect of the Gospel is that while the law and the prophets have not been replaced, we have been freed from being slaves to them.  Our salvation does not hinge on what we eat, drink, wear, etc., and I think that's kind of where the Church is now: focused on salvation and doing good to others.  I agree that we should be better at doing those things if we're doing it on a better diet, but to me, a detail like this, if elevated too high, can lead to focusing on the 'wrong' things and/or puts roadblocks in the way of what's truly important to Him.
When you say "that's kind of where the Church is now", what is this Church you're speaking of?

While I agree with you on the dietary thing, I think much of Crosseyed's issues with many modern churches seems to stem from the "just do good to others" attitude that so many people have now.  While it sounds good in theory, it's quite lacking from a biblical perspective.  I think he's on the right track because he's searching for the truth, as opposed to just thinking that "treating people nicely" is all that's needed, along with a token appearance at the Sunday church (and oh by the way don't forget to bring your money)

When you say "that's kind of where the Church is now", what is this Church you're speaking of?

While I agree with you on the dietary thing, I think much of Crosseyed's issues with many modern churches seems to stem from the "just do good to others" attitude that so many people have now.  While it sounds good in theory, it's quite lacking from a biblical perspective.  I think he's on the right track because he's searching for the truth, as opposed to just thinking that "treating people nicely" is all that's needed, along with a token appearance at the Sunday church (and oh by the way don't forget to bring your money)
Didn't mean to overstate it, but when I talk about where the Church is now, I'm generally speaking about non-denominational churches, as I think at least in the U.S., when seen as a bloc, I think the majority of church-goers claim 'non-denominational' as their home, so I'll concede that I could be out of step with the majority of believers and the churches they go to, but I will stand by my thought that at least in this aspect--non-denominational churches--I see them moving in similar circles as each other and even starting to coalesce into a new denomination in everything but title alone.  And I think you're right about the difference between searching for truth and just focusing on the 'do unto others' aspect, so I agree that Cross is on the right track as well, and possibly on the leading edge of yet another shift in the collective consciousness of the Church in general.  

Salvation is by grace through faith, that much I will agree with on the church's teachings. Unfortunately the church then abuses grace by essentially rejecting the instructions that the Bible calls good, a blessing, eternal, etc. 

As for how we worship Yahweh, I think it absolutely matters to Him. It's not simply a matter of "God knows my heart". Why do I think that? Again, we need to incorporate ALL of God's word, not just what confirms what we already believe.

“When the Lord your God cuts off before you the nations whom you go in to dispossess, and you dispossess them and dwell in their land, take care that you be not ensnared to follow them, after they have been destroyed before you, and that you do not inquire about their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods?—that I also may do the same.’ You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the Lord hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and their daughters in the fire to their gods."

When you read that in light of the pagan origins of the majority of our Easter and Christmas traditions, you can't help but come to the conclusion that our practices are not pleasing to Him. 

Obeying or not obeying the law has consequences, even though it is not a salvation issue. Consider the words of Yahshua:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

You can reject dispensationalism without embracing the entirety of the old covenant law. In fact it's kind of important if you believe that Christ's sacrifice is the ultimate atonement, to see the New Covenant as replacing the Old. 

The law is/was a blessing, insofar as it bound a people to their God and showed us just how perfect one needed to be to remain clean/blameless in relationship with perfect holiness. Not that it's still binding on the church today. 

Salvation is by grace through faith, that much I will agree with on the church's teachings. Unfortunately the church then abuses grace by essentially rejecting the instructions that the Bible calls good, a blessing, eternal, etc. 

As for how we worship Yahweh, I think it absolutely matters to Him. It's not simply a matter of "God knows my heart". Why do I think that? Again, we need to incorporate ALL of God's word, not just what confirms what we already believe.

“When the Lord your God cuts off before you the nations whom you go in to dispossess, and you dispossess them and dwell in their land, take care that you be not ensnared to follow them, after they have been destroyed before you, and that you do not inquire about their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods?—that I also may do the same.’ You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the Lord hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and their daughters in the fire to their gods."

When you read that in light of the pagan origins of the majority of our Easter and Christmas traditions, you can't help but come to the conclusion that our practices are not pleasing to Him. 

Obeying or not obeying the law has consequences, even though it is not a salvation issue. Consider the words of Yahshua:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
Tough to hear, and in some way I agree with you, but I also think that the New Covenant that Jesus speaks of in the Gospel must be laid on top of the OT law and how the Lord instructed Israel.  I think there is a parallel to the OT for believers, but again I think it's primarily on a spiritual front, and therefore it is on the personal level.  This is where/how we seek first HIs kingdom and righteousness.  From there, the things not of HIm fall away from us.  Maybe at some point we'll change how or even when we celebrate Christ's birth, but for now, I'm okay with how it's done because it's one of the two times a year that our culture at least in some small way turns an eye toward Him.

It always seems curious to me how someone can look at two organizations whose teachings are so similar overall and call one of them good (even if not perfect) and the other "truly evil." 

It's not about how nice you treat those around you,  it's about how you are actively helping out others less fortunate than you.

Users who are viewing this thread