What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bronze v. Silver in Olympics (1 Viewer)

Mr. Ected

Footballguy
You are a member of a team in the Olympics, and you don't win Gold. Which is more satisfying, losing in the final match and taking Silver, or winning in the consolation match to take Bronze.

This came up over the last couple days while watching some of the finals and such, particularly with the US women's volleyball team being upset in the semis and winning satisfactorily in the consolation over Holland.

ETA, I'll add a poll in the morning when I get on a real computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bronze match always has a sort of...battle of who could care less feel but the loser get nothing.

The gold match, you are guaranteed a medal either way.

With that said, winning a silver medal seems like it just carries so much more cache than a bronze.

It's more of ending on a positive than a loss.
Maybe, but you'll still beat yourself up for losing in the semis. Silver.

eta: there's a reason the NCAA did away with the consolation game in hoops.

"First place chick is hot, but has an attitude, doesn't date magicians. Second place is someone weird usually, like a Chinese girl or a geologist. But third place, although a little bit plain, has super low self-esteem. So I step in and, uh, lay her crown upon my sweet head."

This thread is starting to get the whiff of all the fat sofa bros getting ready to tell us how they wouldn't even wanted a silver or bronze medal after devoting the last 4 years of their life to grueling training for their very specific, niche sport that pays nothing. 

Save it for The Herd, boys. 

Link? And how long after the event was the question asked?
This is an interesting point. Next day, maybe a week or two later you are pissed you lost the finals, but over time you realize you did make it to the finals and came in 2nd.

I don't know what the hell you've been watching but that is definitely not the case at all. 
The participants in the women's beach volleyball bronze medal match certainly were treating that one like a life-or-death situation.  And that was the top seed versus a team with a player who already had a shelf full of gold medals.  First thing I noticed when I tuned in was, "wow, zillion ####s given here on both sides".

This thread is starting to get the whiff of all the fat sofa bros getting ready to tell us how they wouldn't even wanted a silver or bronze medal after devoting the last 4 years of their life to grueling training for their very specific, niche sport that pays nothing. 

They're glorified participation trophies

Value of Summer Olympics Medals:

1. Gold: $600 (The gold medal consist of just 1% of actual gold, 92.5% silver and 6.16% copper).
  2. Silver: $325 (While in silver medal, the gold is replaced by more copper rest meterial is the same like gold medal)
  3. Bronze: $3 (Bronze medal however is 97% copper and 2.5% zinc and 0.5% tin)

:lmao:

:thumbup:

Not even close to the same thing. None of our giant American team sports are the same thing as some weightlifter guy winning a bronze that he worked his whole life for. 
For the basketball players who won't make it to the nba?  Different in many ways sure but not really in what I was referring. 

Except for the champion, every team loses their last game. Unless they miss the playoffs but win their last regular season game. :towelwave:

Only a life loser would prefer bronze to silver IMO.

To succeed in life, do your best, and then when you get the outcome, there's no second guessing about whether you could have done better.

I'd be happy with any medal. Medaling in the olympics is good enough to get you laid on the reg the rest of your life

Users who are viewing this thread