What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL dropping the term "Probable" (1 Viewer)

Bojang0301

Omar4Heisman
Cool Rog, good move... Now we'll have to decifer whether every Patriots player is actually hurt or just listed as hurt.

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid Goodell and co. area. They all just rolled with the "oh well if so and so is probable they always play." Well ya dip#### but if the coach doesn't list them on the injury report at all and they don't play you ####### investigate them. 

Let me guess, changing the term to 'likely'?
Eliminating it all together. This hurts this hobby. Coaches will use the questionable term interchangeably because if for some odd reason the player doesn't go the team will likely be investigated and fined. It creates a new grey area that was unnecessary to create.

Dumb, probable almost always meant fine. Now guys listed as probable will show up as questionable and we'll be left to guess. 

About as smart as the nfl fighting nbc over whether or not Tirico can do the nbc Thursday night games. Look that one up if you missed it. 

This change is less than ideal for the reasons indicated in this thread; however, the Thursday, Friday and Saturday practice reports are still the best indicator on the injury status of a player the vast majority of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, some people just love to whine about the greatest pro sports league in the world, or more pointedly ***** about Goodell every time the league does something. 

When end was the last time you sat a player with the (P) behind his name?  Let me guess - like never, because they virtually always played.   So in essence you're complaining about the elimination of a term that had little to no relevance. 

Damn, some people just love to whine about the greatest pro sports league in the world, or more pointedly ***** about Goodell every time the league does something. 

When end was the last time you sat a player with the (P) behind his name?  Let me guess - like never, because they virtually always played.   So in essence you're complaining about the elimination of a term that had little to no relevance. 
Except now those probable tags become questionable tags and you'll be left guessing. 

Basically if you have a QB listed questionable and playing Monday night, you're probably sitting hin now.

No, that isn't it.  It's just such a stupid, pointless thing to do and change.

If the result is that teams just dont mention the sorts of minor aches that make half of the New England roster "probable" every week, then this change is irrelevant.  But if teams still feel like the league requires them to list such players or face discipline, the ranks of the "questionable" will balloon, and the information content of a "questionable" tag will drop dramatically.

Perhaps those blaming a grand Goodell-led conspiracy here are off base, but to dismiss this change as insignificant seems naive.

Bronco Billy, hero of the NFL, tower of lines. It's something to get very annoyed over considering how big a deal injuries are to this. Like all things, time will tell.

Except now those probable tags become questionable tags and you'll be left guessing. 
You know that to be true?  You know why the league made this change?  Because rarely did a player listed as Probable not play. The term was supposed to mean that there was a 75% chance the player would play, but when the league investigated - and yes, the league does monitor injury reporting very carefully - it turned out that 95% of those listed as Probable did in fact play. 

What makes you think the league won't be continuing to monitor the terms just as carefully?  More importantly, who doesn't check their lineups and make modifications once the real useful information is posted, which is the inactive list and the pregame warm up reports. 

You know that to be true?  You know why the league made this change?  Because rarely did a player listed as Probable not play. The term was supposed to mean that there was a 75% chance the player would play, but when the league investigated - and yes, the league does monitor injury reporting very carefully - it turned out that 95% of those listed as Probable did in fact play. 

What makes you think the league won't be continuing to monitor the terms just as carefully?  More importantly, who doesn't check their lineups and make modifications once the real useful information is posted, which is the inactive list and the pregame warm up reports. 
I wonder if the NFL remembers that the reason the meaning of probable changed from 75% to 95% in practice was because at one point they fined a team or two for not having reported a player who ended up not playing.  Something which should happen about one time in 10-20 if teams are not mentioning every minor injury so as to hit a 75% appearance rate.

After those fines, every sore muscle got a player "probable" just in case that 1 in 20+ event happened.

Meh. I pay less attention to the official injury report than to good news reports, especially from Dr. Jene Bramel, when it comes to WDIS injury questions. 

I wonder if the NFL remembers that the reason the meaning of probable changed from 75% to 95% in practice was because at one point they fined a team or two for not having reported a player who ended up not playing.  Something which should happen about one time in 10-20 if teams are not mentioning every minor injury so as to hit a 75% appearance rate.

After those fines, every sore muscle got a player "probable" just in case that 1 in 20+ event happened.
Did they really change the meaning of Probable from 75% to 95% recently? I was going to suggest that that is what they should have done when I first came into this thread. If it already meant 90% or 95%, then this is an even dumber change.

I've always wished they would enforce this area a bit more, and be a bit more aggressive with the fines. Maybe it would be too easy for teams to game the system, but we all know certain teams who list half their roster as Questionable, and it seems like 95% of the time they play.

What an annoyance this is going to be for fantasy and regular gambling. Get ready to spend your entire Sunday morning tied to twitter.

And those folks who were once guaranteed to play will be lumped in with the questionables now.

You're still not getting it.

You've obviously missed the point. Now all those P's will be Q's. Do you play all your Q's?

Footballguys' entire front page (maybe even two pages given that there are so few threads on page one now) on Sunday mornings is going to be pinned threads for questionable players.  May need a separate forum.

i guess you'll just have to read the practice reports more closely.  if the NFL really wants to crack down on this teams listing players as questionable but end the season at 90% q's playing should be fined... should be near 50% goal

Did they really change the meaning of Probable from 75% to 95% recently? I was going to suggest that that is what they should have done when I first came into this thread. If it already meant 90% or 95%, then this is an even dumber change.

I've always wished they would enforce this area a bit more, and be a bit more aggressive with the fines. Maybe it would be too easy for teams to game the system, but we all know certain teams who list half their roster as Questionable, and it seems like 95% of the time they play.
They didn't officially change it.  But teams definitely changed the way they treated the designation, from the "75% likely" that it was historically to "anyone with the slightest ding" after the fines I referenced.

The NFL will reverse this decision after the season after they see the commotion and possible loss of dollars from fantasy.

Exactly.  Seems like Belichick was way ahead of the curve and getting crucified for it...

I wonder what Vegas thinks. That's the whole reason there are injury reports, right?
Great point.  As big as the fantasy world is--the world of sports betting is also giant.    I'd hate to think of every minor ding or injury being labeled as being "questionable".   This will create a ton of ambiguity and would make insider information far more valuable.  Seems like it could open Pandora's box to people with inside information getting bribes/pay offs for insider information on the playing status of questionable guys.   I don't see any upside for the NFL to make this change.  

You've obviously missed the point. Now all those P's will be Q's. Do you play all your Q's?
I think you're creating a point that you don't know exists. The NFL changed the definition of questionable also, and is sure to be monitoring this moving forward. 

It's a questionable decision, and we can't rule out the NFL changing it's mind. But for now probable looks doubtful.

Well, Vegas has more resources to sort out the probable questionables from the non-probable questionables, so I'm assuming they are the group responsible for the change.

Follow the money.
Exactly.  This is bigger than fantasy football.  And I'm sure the competition committee didn't call an emergency meeting to find a cure for the inaccurate probable reporting epidemic. Edge goes to Vegas and whatever part of the NFL that is in the pockets of Vegas. 

FBG's essentially stating this is going to expand injury reports in their opinion. Also the NFL is allowing players who don't practice Friday to not be on the injury report. This whole page will be injury reports on Sunday morning.

I don't think this should be causing the panic that it is. Even if more players are now listed as "questionable" (and we really don't even know that that will happen), practice reports and all of the other sources are all still going to be letting us know if guys are most likely going to play or not.

I don't think this should be causing the panic that it is. Even if more players are now listed as "questionable" (and we really don't even know that that will happen), practice reports and all of the other sources are all still going to be letting us know if guys are most likely going to play or not.
While it's true there is a great deal more information today then in yesteryear and inactives will be known an hour before the game but this will still have a decent impact on late games and Monday games.

I wonder what Vegas thinks. That's the whole reason there are injury reports, right?
Prolly has little to no effect. They will always know more than us anyway, some teams arbitrary label on a players ability to go or not wont stop them from knowing

I don't care about this.  This concern has been technologically removed from my life.  

No matter what injury designation a player has, the inactive report and Twitter are still part of my Sunday morning.  

When I check my guys, I don't even know what their designation was during the week, for the most part.  

I think the NFL missed an opportunity here, they should have replaced 'Probable' with 'Brady Shoulder'.  

Where was this for Deflategate? They would have had to go with Brady more questionable than not or more doubtful than not knew about a scheme to deflate the footballs in the Wells report. 

I couldn't possibly predict how NFL teams will handle this. I can predict quite accurately that it will greatly affect some of my leaguemates. I'll be okay.

massraider said:
I don't care about this.  This concern has been technologically removed from my life.  

No matter what injury designation a player has, the inactive report and Twitter are still part of my Sunday morning.  

When I check my guys, I don't even know what their designation was during the week, for the most part.  

I think the NFL missed an opportunity here, they should have replaced 'Probable' with 'Brady Shoulder'.  
How does any of that help you for players listed as Q in the Sunday Night game?

Footballguys' entire front page (maybe even two pages given that there are so few threads on page one now) on Sunday mornings is going to be pinned threads for questionable players.  May need a separate forum.
With my conspiratorial mind, my first thought was that the NFL's rationale behind this is that it's going to generate a whole bunch of clicks and trending posts that inflate the NFL's web presence.

Sunday night and Monday Night lineup decisions just became a total cluster.  Disagree there's no impact - the Pats will have 20 guys listed as "questionable" every week and half of them won't play. 

Users who are viewing this thread