What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ZeroRB - Top Targets (1 Viewer)

I think PPR or otherwise, you want guys that have a quality role in the offense, but could see that expand into a full blown workhorse role if another member of the backfield is injured. 

Gio Bernard: He is the prototype for this category. Even in standard, he has never finished lower than RB21 for a season. We saw a stretch in 2014 where he received the bulk of the work and performed like an RB1. If Hill goes down, Gio has little competition and could be Freeman 2.0

TJ Yeldon: He started both Jacksonville preseason games. He has 1 TD and Ivory has 1 TD so far. Yeldon isn't going away. While Yeldon didn't exactly set the world on fire, he performed as a RB2 in his rookie year without being given much of any opportunities for GL work. That is impressive and is a sign that there might be bigger things to come. 

Charles Sims: Doug Martin has had 2 of 4 seasons derailed by injury. Sims caught 51 passes and had a 4.9 ypc. All the signs are there that he could be a weekly fantasy starter if Doug Martin were out. 

There are two more traditional grinders that I am interested in:

Crowell: I don't think much of him as a player, but I like his ADP combined with what a mobile QB can do for a running back combined with Hue Jackson. If RG3 can be successful, Crowell will have running lanes and maybe can be Alfred Morris-esque. 

Blount: With the sad news about Dion, we have our typical Pat RB confusion. White could be Lewis-Lite? Is Tyler Gaffney a thing? In the end, Blount has been one of the few consistencies in the backfield. He's been a proven TD maker. He's looked fine this preseason. With Brady out, I could see the team leaning a bit more on Blount in that early stretch. He is definitely a boom or bust guy, but could find a little more consistency in those first 4 weeks whole a Zero RB team works the WW for a long term solution. 

Depending on the league you draft in these guys may or may not be Zero RB options. I have seen drafts where they are going in the 4th-5th rounds and I have seen drafts where fall to the 6th-7th rounds. These guys are attractive as they seem to be talented and locked into workhorse roles with minimal competition. Gore, Langford and Stewart. 

:blackdot:

Good stuff ilov80s.  I will add Bilal Powell.  He caught 47 balls last year.  Matt Forte is 30 and has missed a lot of camp time with injury.  A bet on Powell is a bet that Forte may not be quite the back he once was.

Crowell

Bernard

Foster

Cmike

White  Unlike Blount he is Gaffney proof.
For PPR, White is definitely the better option but he also is likely to see his ADP rocket now. I think Blount stays pretty where he is at in all formats. The thing I hate about James White (at least the 2015 version) is that you are not getting ANY rushing contribution. Lewis was at least on pace for 534 yards. After Lewis went out, White's season long rushing pace was 82 yards 

:blackdot:

Good stuff ilov80s.  I will add Bilal Powell.  He caught 47 balls last year.  Matt Forte is 30 and has missed a lot of camp time with injury.  A bet on Powell is a bet that Forte may not be quite the back he once was.
Agree.  Been targeting powell as a late rb alot

Theo Riddick and Danny Woodhead should be mentioned.

Deeper thoughts Kenneth Dixon and Kenyan Drake

Late sleeper Kenyon Barner

I'm not in touch with ADP but I'm assuming they're going later... Jordan Howard and Alfred Morris. Both the starters are hurt right now. Morris is much more valuable of course since it seems like he will be the lead if Zeke goes down. 

bilal powell will see a lot of work this year

Jennings is not sexy, but might be very solid

f gore is going to late for a guy who will get a lot of work

My first PPR draft is Sunday and I'm thinking I'll be going WR happy early. 2 keepers (I've got a WR and QB) and I'm likely starting with WR because the available RBs are a reach at 4. At the 2/3 turn I like some WRs and RBs so I can see having 3WRs and 1RB after 3 picks. I like the mid round RBs better than the mid round WRs. You never know who will be available but it seems that way. 

A counterargument on Gio Bernard: although he has a good floor, he will probably require a Hill injury to have any shot at finishing better than the RB15-20 range.  Since Hill took over as the lead bruiser and goal line back in mid-2014, Gio has just 2 rushing touchdowns across a span of 20+ games.  I'm a Gio dynasty owner and I enjoy his steady, mid-tier production, but if I go WR/QB-heavy in redraft, I'm more inclined to target someone like Gore with a clear path both to receptions and TDs.

Later in the game, Derrick Henry is worth a look.  Committee production early, and a definite chance to overtake Murray strictly via talent/performance, on top of the standard "if the starter gets injured" scenario. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As crazy as this sounds, I'm getting a bit of a Knowshon Moreno in Denver vibe from this Pead situation.  No one talked about him coming into camp... no one expected a thing.  There are two guys ahead of him that are expected to get all the work in Foster and Ajayi... yet the coach is raving about Pead.  Pead is producing the most in games.  Pead is now getting 1st team reps in practices and games.  Pead's got the high draft pedigree, even if he's never done much with it (just like Moreno).

In Moreno's case, it all boiled down to keeping Manning's jersey clean.  I don't think that's the same as this situation, but I do wonder how much Foster has left.  And it's not like Ajayi is proven (plus he was a 5th rounder himself of a prior coaching staff).  Pead's probably worth a roster spot in deeper leagues right now just to see what happens.

A counterargument on Gio Bernard: although he has a good floor, he will probably require a Hill injury to have any shot at finishing better than the RB15-20 range.  Since Hill took over as the lead bruiser and goal line back in mid-2014, Gio has just 2 rushing touchdowns across a span of 20+ games.  I'm a Gio dynasty owner and I enjoy his steady, mid-tier production, but if I go WR/QB-heavy in redraft, I'm more inclined to target someone like Gore with a clear path both to receptions and TDs.

Later in the game, Derrick Henry is worth a look.  Committee production early, and a definite chance to overtake Murray strictly via talent/performance, on top of the standard "if the starter gets injured" scenario. 
I don't disagree but if your able to start with brown, cooks, cooper or whatever.  and have 2 or 3 wr 1s.. it might be safer to take the rb who you know should solidly finish in that rb 2 range.. not that I don't like gore but father time has to catch up with him soon doesn't it?

Yeah, it's a preference thing.  I tend to shoot bigger if I'm filling a position late, but there's room for one of each in a lineup.  To me, the trick to "zero RB" is that you have a decent shot at finding big-time hits late because RB is such a variable position, and because surprise players end up having monster runs every year.  If you just find someone who meets his ADP, you're not really creating any more competitive advantage than a "standard" draft strategy.

Now, you could also argue that it makes sense to take 1-2 Gio/Jonathan Stewart types, then load up on true backups like Booker, Perkins, DeAndre Washington, etc.  That could give you stability while you wait for one to break out (or someone to break a leg), but leaves you a bit flat if it doesn't happen.

Gore's just one example of a 3-down and goal line back I like at his super cheap cost.  Ryan Mathews is another.  Both have their "injury risk" already priced in to their ADP.

JFS171 said:
As crazy as this sounds, I'm getting a bit of a Knowshon Moreno in Denver vibe from this Pead situation.  No one talked about him coming into camp... no one expected a thing.  There are two guys ahead of him that are expected to get all the work in Foster and Ajayi... yet the coach is raving about Pead.  Pead is producing the most in games.  Pead is now getting 1st team reps in practices and games.  Pead's got the high draft pedigree, even if he's never done much with it (just like Moreno).

In Moreno's case, it all boiled down to keeping Manning's jersey clean.  I don't think that's the same as this situation, but I do wonder how much Foster has left.  And it's not like Ajayi is proven (plus he was a 5th rounder himself of a prior coaching staff).  Pead's probably worth a roster spot in deeper leagues right now just to see what happens.
Yeah I remember when Pead lost the starting job to Zac Stacy when he was with the Rams.

Pead is not near the player Moreno was imo, for one Pead is not good at blocking. He has been in the league long enough, perhaps he has fixed that now. I haven't seen it.

That said Pead is closer to being relevant than Drake is and if you have room for him not a bad player to pick up to see what happens. Not sure if they will keep four RB, but if they do someone needs to play special teams and Williams does. They won't likely cut Drake so soon, so who is not making the team out of Ajayi, Foster, Williams and Pead?

stbugs said:
My first PPR draft is Sunday and I'm thinking I'll be going WR happy early. 2 keepers (I've got a WR and QB) and I'm likely starting with WR because the available RBs are a reach at 4. At the 2/3 turn I like some WRs and RBs so I can see having 3WRs and 1RB after 3 picks. I like the mid round RBs better than the mid round WRs. You never know who will be available but it seems that way. 
Definitely 

Yeah I remember when Pead lost the starting job to Zac Stacy when he was with the Rams.

Pead is not near the player Moreno was imo, for one Pead is not good at blocking. He has been in the league long enough, perhaps he has fixed that now. I haven't seen it.

That said Pead is closer to being relevant than Drake is and if you have room for him not a bad player to pick up to see what happens. Not sure if they will keep four RB, but if they do someone needs to play special teams and Williams does. They won't likely cut Drake so soon, so who is not making the team out of Ajayi, Foster, Williams and Pead?
You posted the solution above... Drake could be heading to IR as one potential solution.  The guy can't get on the field right now.

The other thing about these guys like Pead in this situation -- they're not just competing for a job in Miami.  As much as Pead has flashed/is flashing this preseason, he could end up landing in Washington or Indianapolis for example, should Miami cut him.  He looks like a different player to my eyes, though I admittedly didn't see much of him in STL (there wasn't much to see as they didn't give him a lot of chances honestly).

Bump

Thoughts on Zero RB this year?

I'm thinking of starting with two very strong WRs and then probably going RB RB (not exactly zero RB but oh well). I'm eyeing up RBs like Crowell, Hunt, maybe one of the elite rookie RBs if they fall, etc.

What RBs are you targeting in the mid to late rounds?

I drafted before news was out that Ware was going on IR, but I ended up with CJ Anderson, Kareem Hunt, Duke Johnson, Tarik Cohen, Marlon Mack, Wendell Smallwood.

My thought is Mack or Smallwood have outside shot at 3-down gig, whereas Duke Johnson & Tark Cohen will provide consistent scoring week to week if they get 3rd down opps.

Bump

Thoughts on Zero RB this year?

I'm thinking of starting with two very strong WRs and then probably going RB RB (not exactly zero RB but oh well). I'm eyeing up RBs like Crowell, Hunt, maybe one of the elite rookie RBs if they fall, etc.

What RBs are you targeting in the mid to late rounds?
Looking at my post from last year, I whiffed pretty hard on all my pass catching late round backs. However, I also recommended Blount and Crowell so if you went that route, you did ok. 

Rex Burkhead, James White-  there is an opportunity for some big weeks from NE RBs. I don't know how it shakes out but these guys are both worth a shot at their 10th round ADP. 

Darren Sproles- Blount isn't the answer. Smallwood probably isn't either. Sproles still has a definite role on a team that will likely throw a lot. 

Duke Johnson- he is a lock for 50 catches, but he never finds the end zone (3 career TDs). Maybe the offense improves a bit with Kizer and a rising ride lifts Duke's TD chances. Maybe Crowell gets hurt and Duke takes over. Maybe Duke does play the slot and go from 50 to 75 receptions. These are all long shots, but Duke is a pretty safe pick for PPR. 

Chris Thompson and Rob Kelley- both are floor plays, no upside. However, they are likely to be consistent. 

Started with WR/WR/QB/RB/TE in a draft couple of days ago and ended up with an RB haul of CJ Anderson, Martin, Henry, Rawls, Jaquizz, Lewis, Burkhead and Turbin. 

Will need to drop 1-2 of these as I didn't bother drafting a D or a K 

Just did a 12 team PPR 2 RB 2 WR 1 Flex, from the 10 spot(local league).

1. Mike Evans

2. Jordy Nelson

3. Demaryius Thomas

4. Carlos Hyde

5. Ameer Abdullah

6. Allen Robinson

7. Doug Martin

8. Andrew Luck

9. John Brown

10. Hunter Henry

11. Jack Doyle

I am at 11 and 12 in my 2 leagues - I am probably going wr/wr rb/te or rb/rb - only going for a TE if Graham is available.  I have a gut feeling about him this year, he was a bargain last year. I LOVE Carlos Hyde this year.  I think that offense will have an awakening this year under Shanahan.  I keep seeing Rob Kelly available in mocks - grabbed him off the wire last year and he was awesome.  I think he will be good this year too.  Beyond that I am not so sure but I like a full time RB like Kelly over a time share guy.

Drafted from the 10 spot and missed all the RB runs.  Did the Zero RB draft, but not by design.  Start two RBs, PPR.  Ended up with Woodhead, Gore, Riddick, Duke Johnson, and Jamaal Williams.

Just did a 12 team PPR 2 RB 2 WR 1 Flex, from the 10 spot(local league).

1. Mike Evans

2. Jordy Nelson

3. Demaryius Thomas

4. Carlos Hyde

5. Ameer Abdullah

6. Allen Robinson

7. Doug Martin

8. Andrew Luck

9. John Brown

10. Hunter Henry

11. Jack Doyle
Nice team but I am not sure I call taking RBs in rounds 4 and 5 to really be 0 RB. 

With Ware out I dropped him for Matt Jones. Redskins are looking to trade him and Eagles are looking for a RB. Going to hold him and see where he lands. 

Drafting from the 3 hole, am seriously thinking of waiting on RB's

Might go, AB and maybe Gronk, then another stud WR

Guess I'll wait and see what falls to me.

With Ware out I dropped him for Matt Jones. Redskins are looking to trade him and Eagles are looking for a RB. Going to hold him and see where he lands. 
I'd be floored and impressed if the Skins could pull even a 2019 conditional 7th for Jones. He's not good, hasn't flashed in preseason this year, and the entire league knows we don't want him. And he threw a tantrum and didn't report to camp at first because he lost his job and we drafted another RB, which isn't a good look for him either. 

I'd be floored and impressed if the Skins could pull even a 2019 conditional 7th for Jones. He's not good, hasn't flashed in preseason this year, and the entire league knows we don't want him. And he threw a tantrum and didn't report to camp at first because he lost his job and we drafted another RB, which isn't a good look for him either. 
If he's not traded than he will be released doe. 

Doug Martin/quiz should be a part of any zero rb strategy. Martin is available fairly late and I've seen quiz straight up go undrafted in a 12 team league (can only carry 4 rbs though). Darren macfadden also can carry your team while you work the ww. Paul Perkins also is being taken in the mid rds. Crowell and hunt are being taken in the first 3 rds. Powell, riddick, Denver, Smallwood, Rawls, I'd look at any of those guys. 

In my keeper I kept Beckham as a 3rd rounder and drafted Evans and gronk. Took my first RB1 in the 4th. Ended up with Abdullah, DMC, Lacy, Henry, and Stewart. Will see how things play out but not crazy about this strategy.

I ended up going zero RB in a 12-team, non-PPR, start 2 RB league. At RB I ended up with Hunt (rd 5), Abdullah (rd 6), Woodhead (rd 7), Rawls (rd 11), and Kamara (rd 15).

(This wasn't a plan going into the draft - I would've taken a RB in the first if Beckham wasn't there, and I would've taken Zeke in the 2nd if he was available.)

I never do this but I sort of went zero RB without trying, mostly cos I liked value, not cos I was following zero RB strat.

I grabbed Zeke in the 3rd so that is maybe just like not having a RB for some time.

Abdullah

Woodhead

Rawls

D. Martin

and a sentimental J. Charles

Roster

I have a keeper draft coming up that may shake out like 0 rb. I keep obj, Evans, and gronk. Each keeper counts as rds 1/2/3. I pick late 4th and don't have a 5th. Bpa in 4th may be a wr or qb (if top 3) so I either reach for a rb or wait until the end of rd 6. I'll likely go bpa and if it's close I'll weight the rb. 11 rbs kept, 9 wr, 1 te,2 qb (Wilson and luck???).  I pick at 22. That's a lot of rb off the board. 

Nice team but I am not sure I call taking RBs in rounds 4 and 5 to really be 0 RB. 
On that note since no one actually drafts zero Rb's what do people consider the criteria to meet a zero RB strategy?

To me zero RB really means one of two things. Either Hold off on RB's early or it means to  load up on WR's early.

On that note since no one actually drafts zero Rb's what do people consider the criteria to meet a zero RB strategy?

To me zero RB really means one of two things. Either Hold off on RB's early or it means to  load up on WR's early.
Ofcourse you have to take RBs, but I would say the first 6 picks at least would be non-RBs. The strategy is best for leagues that start 3-4 WRs and are PPR. Here is the idea:

RBs are more volatile than WR. RBs get hurt and bust more often. Also, when WRs get hurt, their targets tend to get distributed fairly evenly around the offense. It is rare to see a good WR get hurt and a back-up step in and get most of those targets to fill that role. Last year, Boyd was a pretty highly thought of draft pick and the Bengals took him 2nd round. When AJ Green got hurt, did Boyd step in and become a viable fantasy WR? No, not really. Yet in KC, we have a starting RB injured and everyone expects a 3rd round rookie RB to be able to step in and get most of the work/production that Ware was penciled in for. Back-up RBs are more likely to step in for an injured player and closely replicate their production.

The idea of Zero RB is built on that idea. Let other owners spend high draft capital on volatile RBs and when they falter or get hurt, you can try and take advantage of it. If you are able to land a Jordan Howard, Jay Ajayi, Bilal Powell, Deangelo, Hightower, etc. type of RB and pair them with a roster front loaded with great WRs, then you have a great great team. 

The other thought is say you can start 4 WRs, if you draft 7-8 WRs to start your draft then you can feel pretty confident that you can absorb a bust and absorb injuries and absorb bye weeks knowing you will almost have 4 starting quality WRs. Any loss at RB can be made up by hammering them at WR. 

mnmplayer said:
I never do this but I sort of went zero RB without trying, mostly cos I liked value, not cos I was following zero RB strat.

I grabbed Zeke in the 3rd so that is maybe just like not having a RB for some time.

Abdullah

Woodhead

Rawls

D. Martin

and a sentimental J. Charles

Roster
Pairing Zeke with Martin and Woodhead looks like a 1-5 start. They are all out the first part of the season unless you think Zeke drags it out in court. Risky.

thriftyrocker said:
Seems obvious to take a backup to Martin or EE instead of Charles
Yeah but I caught Charles carries in pre season, not looking to shabby for Mr. Irrelivent pick.

12 team .5 ppr 2RB/2WR/1flex

Drafted a few weeks ago before the ware injury but I did a modified zero-rb strat that didn't turn out horrible from the 6 spot.

1. Melvin Gordon

2. Michael Thomas

3. Brandon Cooks

4. Travis kelce

5. Brees

6. Jarvis Landry

7. Martavis Bryant 

8. Kareem Hunt

9. Luck

10. Charles sims

11. Gio Bernard

12. Jamaal Williams

12 team .5 ppr 2RB/2WR/1flex

Drafted a few weeks ago before the ware injury but I did a modified zero-rb strat that didn't turn out horrible from the 6 spot.

1. Melvin Gordon

2. Michael Thomas

3. Brandon Cooks

4. Travis kelce

5. Brees

6. Jarvis Landry

7. Martavis Bryant 

8. Kareem Hunt

9. Luck

10. Charles sims

11. Gio Bernard

12. Jamaal Williams
This team is sick--- not sure I like Landry w/ Cutler or your last three RB choices but your first 8 is gross. 

Users who are viewing this thread