What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seeking a little potential late in life career advice (1 Viewer)

NCCommish

Footballguy
So in my quest to get into something better I am considering taking the life and health exams for NC. Lots of opportunities advertised around here. I am getting older. And insurance seems like something I could do until retirement. Plus it seems lucrative if you are good at it. I was wondering if we have anyone currently involved and if so what's it like? What should I avoid if I decide to go this way? What should I look for? Any and all advice appreciated.

Are you trying to get into selling as an agent? There's also the employee benefits route. But both seem to be a PITA with tons of paperwork.

I'm not in that industry but know of few folks that do quite well. My understanding is that initially it is quite the grind but if you can get past that phase it becomes easier and more lucrative. I believe the network of potential customers you might be able to tap into based on your pre existing relationships also plays a part.

These are all just casual observations, I'm sure there are others on here that can tell you a lot more and set me straight if I'm off base.

Talk to matttyl....he should be able to give you some insight.  I'm not sure insurance is the way I'd be going with the crap the gov't is pulling right now, but what the hell do I know?

MOP Approved!!!

:thumbup:

Now we're talking some real money. Go get your 2-15, every major city has lots of these rooms where the phone will just ring with some desperate person looking for health care for their family as they were just told it will now cost this poor small business owner $1,200 a month to cover his family of 5, you can get the same thing done for half the cost perhaps...

Get with a quality place that isn't just taking credit cards and folks money but yes yes yes you can make a killing doing this. Right before I took up teaching I made $8k a month for 3 months doing this and I didn't even have a license. 

You can do this NCC!!!

MOP Approved!!!

:thumbup:

Now we're talking some real money. Go get your 2-15, every major city has lots of these rooms where the phone will just ring with some desperate person looking for health care for their family as they were just told it will now cost this poor small business owner $1,200 a month to cover his family of 5, you can get the same thing done for half the cost perhaps...

Get with a quality place that isn't just taking credit cards and folks money but yes yes yes you can make a killing doing this. Right before I took up teaching I made $8k a month for 3 months doing this and I didn't even have a license. 

You can do this NCC!!!
Yeah I was thinking of doing both my life and health licenses at once. I figured with open enrollment coming and the other changes it seemed a health license may come in handy especially during open enrollment

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was thinking of doing both my life and health licenses at once. I figured with open enrollment coming and the other changes it seemed a health license may come in handy especially during open
I would get the 2-15 immediately, it will put money in your pocket within 90 days IMO. 

Life, Homeowner's, Car...eventually you want them all. You're going to cut your teeth at a cubicle among a lot of other cubicles but eventually once you have all the licenses and maybe 6 months under your belt and have written a couple policies...then you go find a nice little State Farm office with the guy who has owned it for the last 20 years and learn how to eventually have your own shop if you desire to go that far. 

2-15 Ad and I have seen these a lot over the last 5 years.  

Talk to matttyl....he should be able to give you some insight.  I'm not sure insurance is the way I'd be going with the crap the gov't is pulling right now, but what the hell do I know?
Well in some ways the uncertainty in the market makes it a good time for the insurance market. I mean with Aetna out a lot of people will be scrambling for new coverage. Lots of new policies written.

I would get the 2-15 immediately, it will put money in your pocket within 90 days IMO. 

Life, Homeowner's, Car...eventually you want them all. You're going to cut your teeth at a cubicle among a lot of other cubicles but eventually once you have all the licenses and maybe 6 months under your belt and have written a couple policies...then you go find a nice little State Farm office with the guy who has owned it for the last 20 years and learn how to eventually have your own shop if you desire to go that far. 

2-15 Ad and I have seen these a lot over the last 5 years.  
Yeah I see those up here as well. Kind of what caught my interest. But then once I started looking i noticed there were a lot of different opportunities available.

I noticed that AAA is really starting to push all their services including a full array of insurance. And they offer to get you into your own office when you are ready. That sounded interesting.

As far as I can tell in NC there is no 2-15 which seems to be a combined license they do in Florida. Life and Health are separated into two licenses.

NCCommish said:
As far as I can tell in NC there is no 2-15 which seems to be a combined license they do in Florida. Life and Health are separated into two licenses.
Get the health insurance first if you can, much more immediate need for those folks IMHO...

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

PM me when you're up and rolling and you can have my health insurance policy. I think I'm going to get kicked off the ACA at the end of the year.  Just renewed the auto insurance but you can have a swing at that next January if you like. 

Get the health insurance first if you can, much more immediate need for those folks IMHO...
Yeah that is my thinking just given where things are right now. I am thinking of buying a combined program to save some money. Testing for health first and then doing the life component. May also look into the medicare add-on for health.

NCCommish said:
BTW thanks for the advice so far I appreciate it. And I am very glad Wikkid stopped by. Made my day.
No, seriously - you could sell it both ways. Insure folks against not being taken in the Rapture so they'll have a li'l dough for drugs & whores in the last days and you really don't have to pay off the other. It's an apocalypse! Get it?

No, seriously - you could sell it both ways. Insure folks against not being taken in the Rapture so they'll have a li'l dough for drugs & whores in the last days and you really don't have to pay off the other. It's an apocalypse! Get it?
I do I see an untapped vertical here and lots of synergy with existing paradigms.

NCCommish said:
Well either I should get my license or the apocalypse. Maybe if I get my license I kick off the apocalypse? So 2 out of 3 of those requires me to get my license to find out. Curiosity is winning.
Lots of sales opportunities during an apocalypse, IMO.

I thought one had to lack a moral compass to make money selling insurance... :shrug:

I hope not or this won't work well.
Exactly. My old man explained why he couldn't be a truly successful salesman like this: "To really make it as a salesman, you have to be able to sell people something they don't need. I can't do that." That's not to say that you can't make a living selling. It just points to a love for cheese sandwiches and chopped meat based dinners that took me a long time to grow out of...

As you know, this is what I do.  Health Insurance has become both a huge PITA, but also in some ways easier to deal with.  The exchanges suck to deal with, so most of my business in the health insurance market is still "off-exchange" (direct policy holder to carrier).  Life insurance can be huge, though - if you're good at selling.  I'm looking to have my biggest month in 2 years on that side of the business.  Also, as you can see from my posting frequency here, you have lots of free time outside of open enrollment!

You might want to wait at least a bit on the health side, though.  From the looks of it (if you're in NC), there will be one carrier.  They stopped paying commissions for individual business earlier this year.  They may not turn them back on....(why would they if they are the only carrier left?)

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

PM me when you're up and rolling and you can have my health insurance policy. I think I'm going to get kicked off the ACA at the end of the year.  Just renewed the auto insurance but you can have a swing at that next January if you like. 
They are winning. New business coming in already. Appreciate it.

As you know, this is what I do.  Health Insurance has become both a huge PITA, but also in some ways easier to deal with.  The exchanges suck to deal with, so most of my business in the health insurance market is still "off-exchange" (direct policy holder to carrier).  Life insurance can be huge, though - if you're good at selling.  I'm looking to have my biggest month in 2 years on that side of the business.  Also, as you can see from my posting frequency here, you have lots of free time outside of open enrollment!

You might want to wait at least a bit on the health side, though.  From the looks of it (if you're in NC), there will be one carrier.  They stopped paying commissions for individual business earlier this year.  They may not turn them back on....(why would they if they are the only carrier left?)
Thanks I hadn't realized that. My original plan was do life first then do health and get the Medicare cert. Sounds like that may be the way to go.

Thanks I hadn't realized that. My original plan was do life first then do health and get the Medicare cert. Sounds like that may be the way to go.
Medicare cert as in Part D certification?  If that's what you mean, I wouldn't.  These 65+ year olds that don't work have nothing better to do all day than to call you and ask about their prescriptions.  We didn't get paid enough from the carriers to deal with it, so we don't do those anymore.  Just Medicare supplements. 

*different voice* And you handled that jackass with that turtle & the Apocalypse with decorum and aplomb. It's quite apparent to this successful businessman that your selling skills would be an asset to any company and useful to any FFA member considering his insurance needs. *clears throat, takes important call*

Medicare cert as in Part D certification?  If that's what you mean, I wouldn't.  These 65+ year olds that don't work have nothing better to do all day than to call you and ask about their prescriptions.  We didn't get paid enough from the carriers to deal with it, so we don't do those anymore.  Just Medicare supplements. 
I was thinking supplements but it may have been for part D. I have several sites I am.looking at for the pretest and one offered that as an add-on.

*different voice* And you handled that jackass with that turtle & the Apocalypse with decorum and aplomb. It's quite apparent to this successful businessman that your selling skills would be an asset to any company and useful to any FFA member considering his insurance needs. *clears throat, takes important call*
You sir are obviously a scholar and a gentleman.

I was thinking supplements but it may have been for part D. I have several sites I am.looking at for the pretest and one offered that as an add-on.
When I got in the business I was only 21 I believe.  At the time I was eating Ramen noodles, but still had enough $ for a decent bar setup in the apartment.  Anyway, I was pretty broke and would sell anything to anyone that I had the license (state) and appointment (carrier) to sell.  The agency I was with "made me" obtain a series 6 and 63 - which in the end I likely didn't need and I spent way too much time in obtaining, when it was really only needed for a few cases (which I could have sent to another agent for processing and he send me back some business, but whatever).  At this point, all I really need is a life and health license, and to keep my CE going for my day to day. 

It took me too long to realize that 80%+ of what I was earning was from 2 or 3 lines of business - so I should have narrowed down my focus earlier. 

When I got in the business I was only 21 I believe.  At the time I was eating Ramen noodles, but still had enough $ for a decent bar setup in the apartment.  Anyway, I was pretty broke and would sell anything to anyone that I had the license (state) and appointment (carrier) to sell.  The agency I was with "made me" obtain a series 6 and 63 - which in the end I likely didn't need and I spent way too much time in obtaining, when it was really only needed for a few cases (which I could have sent to another agent for processing and he send me back some business, but whatever).  At this point, all I really need is a life and health license, and to keep my CE going for my day to day. 

It took me too long to realize that 80%+ of what I was earning was from 2 or 3 lines of business - so I should have narrowed down my focus earlier. 
80/20 rule

Yes, but that's 80% of your income is coming from 20% of your clients (not from 20% of your lines of business).  The 80/20 rule doesn't apply at all to health insurance, but definitely does to life insurance.
Yeah I was taking a little artistic license.

Users who are viewing this thread