What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Good and Cheap Defensive Combinations (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
I haven't noticed a thread on this topic yet so I thought I would start one.   In looking for a defensive combo that is both decent and cheap I think the Giant Lions is a good one: 

1. Week 1: Giants (at DAL)
  2. Week 2: Lions (vs TEN)
  3. Week 3: Giants(vs WAS)
  4. Week 4: Lions (at CHI) or Giants (at MIN)
  5. Week 5: Lions (vs PHI)
  6. Week 6: Lions (vs LA)
  7. Week 7: Giants (at LA)
  8. Week 8: Lions (at HOU)
  9. Week 9: Lions (at MIN) or Giants (vs PHI)
  10. Week 10: Giants (vs CIN) - don't like this but Lions on a bye
  11. Week 11: Lions (vs JAC) or Giants (vs CHI)
  12. Week 12: Dolphins (vs SF)
  13. Week 13: Giants (at CLE)
  14. Week 14: Giants (at DAL) or Lions (vs CHI)
  15. Week 15: Giants (vs DET)
  16. Week 16: Lions (at DAL) or Giants (at PHI)
What other decent cheap combos are there?

I like Philly and Oakland. Haven't compared schedules but their SoS numbers are compatible with only two sketchy weeks (6&14). My playoffs start week 15 so not too concerned over week 14 at this point and both D's have great numbers weeks 15-17.

My DD Classic currently has Philly ranked at D10 (ADP 21.10) and Oakland at D26 (ADP 21.02). Both can be had typically late. Although, I think Philly's ADP will rise over the next couple of weeks. Oakland's doesn't seem to be moving.

I play in one league where defenses can score you negative points if they give up lots of touchdowns, so playing a D in this format can kill you if the other team scores 34+ points.  

Any thoughts on Defensive team combos that will play against mostly bottom 5 to bottom 10 offensive teams this year?

The Jets and Rams combo gets two games with the 49ers in the fantasy playoffs (weeks 14-16), with the Jets facing Miami in week 15. The Jets play Cleveland during the Rams bye, while the Rams host Miami during the Jets bye.

The Jets and Rams combo gets two games with the 49ers in the fantasy playoffs (weeks 14-16), with the Jets facing Miami in week 15. The Jets play Cleveland during the Rams bye, while the Rams host Miami during the Jets bye.
Too lazy to look up ADP, but aren't those two of the top defenses. Don't get me wrong, the 49ers match-ups look really juicy, but you'd have to invest some draft pick value to get both.

I haven't noticed a thread on this topic yet so I thought I would start one.   In looking for a defensive combo that is both decent and cheap I think the Giant Lions is a good one: 

1. Week 1: Giants (at DAL)
  2. Week 2: Lions (vs TEN)
  3. Week 3: Giants(vs WAS)
  4. Week 4: Lions (at CHI) or Giants (at MIN)
  5. Week 5: Lions (vs PHI)
  6. Week 6: Lions (vs LA)
  7. Week 7: Giants (at LA)
  8. Week 8: Lions (at HOU)
  9. Week 9: Lions (at MIN) or Giants (vs PHI)
  10. Week 10: Giants (vs CIN) - don't like this but Lions on a bye
  11. Week 11: Lions (vs JAC) or Giants (vs CHI)
  12. Week 12: Dolphins (vs SF)
  13. Week 13: Giants (at CLE)
  14. Week 14: Giants (at DAL) or Lions (vs CHI)
  15. Week 15: Giants (vs DET)
  16. Week 16: Lions (at DAL) or Giants (at PHI)
What other decent cheap combos are there?
Not to be a downer, but the problem with this sort of thing is that several teams' offensive production can fluctuate a lot from year to year.

I already don't like the Dallas, Cin, Jac matchups. And who's to say teams like Phi, LA, Hou, Clev couldn't find themselves really improving over last year?

Personally, if I don't stumble into a stud D with the only pick I'll spend on one, then I'd rather just stream them.

Not to be a downer, but the problem with this sort of thing is that several teams' offensive production can fluctuate a lot from year to year.

I already don't like the Dallas, Cin, Jac matchups. And who's to say teams like Phi, LA, Hou, Clev couldn't find themselves really improving over last year?

Personally, if I don't stumble into a stud D with the only pick I'll spend on one, then I'd rather just stream them.
Oh no doubt that offensive productions can and do fluctuate.  For instace Dallas could certainly be a very good offense if Romo stays healthy, Dez Bryant returns to form and Ezekiel Elliott is as good as advertised but that is a lot of ifs.  

It's all speculative and that's part of the fun of trying to figure out if there are cheap defenses that you might be able to stream...

I don't like trying to predict out streaming schedules.  There is just too much variability year-over-year to say with confidence who will be a good offense and who will be a mediocre/poor one.

However there are three defenses (Oakland, Jacksonville & the Giants) that I definitely have my eye on as late round options.  They all added a ton of talent and are playing in divisions that may have lesser offenses (as I said it is very difficult to predict this).

According to the Aug 15th and later ADP from MFL (12 team, redraft, non-ppr, real drafts, all players selected in at least 10% of drafts) the Raiders are the 219th, Jaguars the 228th and the Giants are the 249th selection.  That means you can reasonably expect one, if not all of these defenses to be available on your WW.

Too lazy to look up ADP, but aren't those two of the top defenses. Don't get me wrong, the 49ers match-ups look really juicy, but you'd have to invest some draft pick value to get both.
Well, both are hovering around the bottom of the top 10 defenses, occasionally just under. Broncos, Seahawks, Cards, Panthers, Texans, Chiefs, Bengals consistently go earlier. Vikings, Ravens, Eagles, Patriots, Bills, Redskins, Raiders go in same vicinity. You don't have to invest a high pick to get either, but you can't wait til last round either, I give you that. 

Anything with the Packers.  They're not even being drafted in the top 12 most of the time but they 1) have a super soft schedule for the last 12 games 2) Possibly best overall secondary in the league, and 3) Finally have inside LB depth so Matthews & company can wreak havoc on the outside. This is an underrated unit that could easily finish top 5, if not better. I expect them to force a lot of turnovers this year.  

The defense may get off to a slow start because Pennel is suspended 4 games and the other d-lineman are young... and the first couple games are difficult (at JAX in the 100 degree heat and then at Vikings).  After that and once they get the lineman back they have a very good chance to dominate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Jaguars D/ST this year - not sure who else I'd pair them with but I am targeting Jaguars with my last pick(s) and if it doesn't pan out I will pick up a different D. I have learned that there is normally a very good D/ST that doesn't get drafted but a few weeks into season you can tell how good they'll be. Denver and KC in years past come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread