What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Backup RBs who have the best chance of starting in 2017 (Keeper League Thoughts) (1 Viewer)

KCchiefer

Footballguy
My league is a 14-team PPR keeper league in which keepers are kept based on last year’s draft value. Keepers are kept in exchange for a draft pick that is two places higher than the player was drafted the previous year. (ie. Devonta Freeman was drafted in the 8th round last year, so he can be kept for a 6th round pick this year).

Considering this format, it would be very advantageous to draft some of this year's backup runningbacks in the later rounds that have a good chance of being a starter next year.

So the question is this, which backup or late round runningbacks in this year’s fantasy draft have the best chance of being a starter or getting a significant increase in carries/production next year?

My predictions below:

1.) Duke Johnson – CLE - Current ADP: 75th overall / 29th RB

Isaiah Cowell is in a contract year and could see the Browns letting him walk. Talk in Browns camp is that the two should split carries this year and Duke is clearly the better pass catcher. If he is named the starter next year, I could see him going in the late 2nd-early 3rd in 2017.

2.) James Starks – GB – Current ADP: 141st overall / 46th RB

Eddie Lacy is in a contract year and lost a ton of carries to Starks last year. Starks is 30, Cheeseburger Eddie is back down to an acceptable weight and is only 25, but Starks didn’t get paid $2 million per year to not put pressure on Eddie. If the pack let Lacy go and don’t draft a RB, Starks could be sitting as a nice 3rd round pick next year.

3.) Jerick McKinnon – MIN – Current ADP: 177th overall / 59th RB

Adrian Peterson continues to defy the odds by being a dominant runningback into his 30s. He turned 31 this year and people have been predicting him to hit the wall for years. AP teased us about his retirement in July mentioning he would retire if he “got bored” with football. If he “gets bored” with football after this season, Jerick McKinnon could be in line for a huge role in the Vikings offense in 2017. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a 2nd round pick, IF and only IF, AP decides to retire.

4.) Paul Perkins – NYG – Current ADP: 175th overall / 58th RB

Paul Perkins is the current #4 RB on the Giants but many speculate that he will inherit Rashad Jennings’ carries as Shane Vereen is a pass catcher and Andre Williams is a scrub. If Rashad Jennings were to retire next year, or even if he doesn’t, Paul Perkins could very well surpass him on the depth chart and be drafted in the 4th or 5th round next year.

Honorable Mention:

5.) Dion Lewis – NE – Current ADP: ??? Probably 90 overall / 35th RB

[SIZE=11pt]Dion Lewis will start the season on the PUP list after discovering he would need a second surgery on his knee and is expected to miss 6-10 weeks of the season. This means he could probably be drafted in the 8th round or so and be kept for a 6th round pick next year. This is an especially good pickup if your league allows an IR slot as he would likely be able to be placed on that and not congest a roster spot for the weeks he is out.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Your thoughts and predictions?[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
If the wheels come off AP this year, the Vikings will draft one of next year's stud rookie RB's.  Heck, they might do it anyway.  McKinnon is not a #1.

If the wheels come off AP this year, the Vikings will draft one of next year's stud rookie RB's.  Heck, they might do it anyway.  McKinnon is not a #1.
This applies to the Green Bay situation as well. James Starks is not a #1.

This applies to the Green Bay situation as well. James Starks is not a #1.
It applies more to green Bay.   Mckinnon might be a lead back, Starks is not. 

He won't go late but derrick Henry is an obvious answer to the original question.  Spencer ware too.

A lot of people's hearts are going to be broken when the '17 rb class steals their thunder. Guys like Ajayi, Perkins, Murray, ect.. will be relegated to a #2/3 roll next year unless they flash massively. 

What about De'Andre Washington?Anyone think the Raiders will pass on resigning Latavius Murray and give De'Andre a crack at being the starter? 

i don't think any of the first 4 guys you mentioned have much of a shot at being a full time starter.  I'd roll the dice on Lewis and maybe he'll be healthy and stay healthy next year.

The most obvious one for me is Derrick Henry. I'm not really a big fan, but they spent a high pick on him and he's a decent back. Murray is there and that adds a lot of uncertainty, but he certainly fits the mold of a guy who will eventually be starting in the NFL (high pick, prolific SEC career).

I've been burned by Christine Michael before and I was about ready to drop him after Washington cut him, but things are looking up for him and through it all he has always produced when given carries. I'm intrigued by what he might be able to do in Seattle or elsewhere.

Not a Duke Johnson guy, but that seems plausible enough. I can see someone taking a shot on McKinnon as well, though I don't know if he really fits the starter mold. Always seen him as more of a change-of-pace type.

I like Jonathan Williams for the Bills. McCoy is getting old and the Karlos Williams situation only bodes well for J Williams.

I think the issue with a lot of these day three mediocre types (Dixon, Perkins) is that they don't really offer anything special and will have to dodge a lot of bullets in next year's draft to become presumptive opening day starters in 2017. You could say the same for most of the guys above, but the less special the player, the higher the risk.

Not a full-time guy in 2017 but he might help a lot in PPR next year is Wendell Smallwood. Guys in front of him are fragile and/or older.

Eagles can't afford to use a high pick on RB next year - no #1, massive problems at OL, WR, LB

Not a full-time guy in 2017 but he might help a lot in PPR next year is Wendell Smallwood. Guys in front of him are fragile and/or older.

Eagles can't afford to use a high pick on RB next year - no #1, massive problems at OL, WR, LB
Yea, ok, I see what you're saying. But no man named "Wendell Smallwood" will ever be a lead back in the NFL.

This is the name of an accountant. A sexually repressed accountant.

Derrick Henry is the no-brainer answer.  DeAndre Washington might be the next most likely option. Maybe Yeldon if you consider him a back-up. Other than that, not many clear paths. 

Yea, ok, I see what you're saying. But no man named "Wendell Smallwood" will ever be a lead back in the NFL.

This is the name of an accountant. A sexually repressed accountant.
That's what your father said about Gale Sayers.

flysack said:
No offense to sexually repressed accountants. I'm sure you're all fine upstanding citizens. Just not NFL RBs.
I was just hoping for some deeper analysis on Smallwood's potential than his name sounds more like an accountant than an NFL RB.  Mind you, I am not the biggest Smallwood supporter, but JaxBill makes some valid points.

I was just hoping for some deeper analysis on Smallwood's potential than his name sounds more like an accountant than an NFL RB.  Mind you, I am not the biggest Smallwood supporter, but JaxBill makes some valid points.
I think it was just a failed attempt at being funny.

Bilal Powell. If Forte's shot, the Jets won't bring him back and Powell has the skill set to show some stuff in 2016...enough to get a lookie-loo for 2017.

The answer to your question is any current back up RB who performs well enough in 2016 that their team is not looking to replace them.

Of the players mentioned in the OP

Duke Johnson - seems unlikely because of Hue Jackson's history of using RBBC. Also Johnson's injury history may have him on a snap count, even with no other viable option. Great player though and worth having.

James Starks - No too old. Career back up.

Jerrick McKinnon - Possible that Peterson is with another team next year which would give Jet his chance. I still think another RB would be brought in to compete. McKinnon would need to play better this season than he has thus far.

Paul Perkins - Quite possible as Jennings is old. Even if he does he will lose targets and playing time to Shane Vereen. Possible another RB is added to replace Jennings.

DIon Lewis - I don't think so. Someone will still chase the per game stats, but not me.

Players I think may be considered starters in 2017 are

Devontae Booker - Needs to beat CJ Anderson for the job. I think he is talented enough to do so, although Anderson is a good player as well.

Jay Ajayi - This would require a good season for the team to have confidence in him being their guy next year.

Kenneth Dixon - Lots of competition here and Dixon would have to do very well at some point for the Ravens to be willing to roll with him.

Charles Sims - If Doug Martin falls off and Sims plays well this year, they might be willing to have him be their full time starter. Not really expecting this.

The way I see things is that there are very few teams who have RB who I think have the job locked up in 2017. Many teams do not have a very good plan B option to their starter right now, some of those teams do not even have a good plan A. I would think the RB needy teams will scoop up most of the good rookie RB next year because they don't have a good plan A. So the teams who do have a young promising RB seem less likely to be looking to replace them in 2017 as long as they play well this season. Older star RB such as Peterson or Lacy will likely still be starting somewhere next season, so that could cause a young guy to get blocked on the team these guys sign with.

Users who are viewing this thread