What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Real time situation - Leaving the house open for workers (1 Viewer)

Do you leave the door open?

• Yes, treat people like human beings.

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • No, everyone is out to get us

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
I am having a fence installed and they are installing the poles today.   I met with the salesman and his crew today (2 guys).   I meet everyone, we proceed to walk the property and confirm the layout.   After that the sales guy asked if they could use the water spigot.   I told them I would leave the house open.    The spare bathroom is in the kitchen right near the door, the fridge is right there too, it dispenses cold water and ice.  I took the lead crew guy inside and showed him the bathroom and the fridge and put plastic cups on the counter for water.   I have done something similar to this before when people were working for me plus it is really hot in NC in the summer.   

Well my wife called earlier and said she was going to the grocery store at lunch.  I asked her what she was doing with the groceries and she said, bringing them back to work, why?   I told her I left the house open for the fence guys and she wasn't happy.   Long story short, she brought the groceries back to the house and locked the door.   Who's side are you on?

Edit:  Closest bathroom is probably at least 3 miles away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Workers can fend for themselves. A fencing contractor that doesn't own a cooler in NC isn't building a good fence. Hire someone else.

Can't they poop in the woods?

i would be uneasy.

any valuables in the house they could get to? Used panties? Etc

Can't they poop in the woods?

i would be uneasy.

any valuables in the house they could get to? Used panties? Etc
Yeah, there is stuff they could steal but they are doing hard work in the extreme heat.   I give them credit for being hard workers.   Their company entrusts them with a vehicle.  There could be camera's in my house.    Are they really going to risk their lively hood for some valuables?   Don't get me wrong, I see both sides of it but I would rather live my way.   

I voted 'no' but I would really go with 'neither'.  When people are doing work on/at my house, I work at home.  

They can use the facilities, and I'll offer them bottled water or gatorade if I have it, but I'll be home while they are doing the work.

I want honest workers to stay honest and not have free roam of my house.

Nice gesture, but not wise in general. They are used to working with no access to facilities. They would have been just fine with a locked house. 

Half of these installers were picked up at Home Depot this morning, the head guy has probably never even met half of them before. 

When we had our basement finished I installed a programmable lock on the exterior basement door and locked the door going upstairs.  When they left I reprogrammed the lock.

There's a website I've seen on other websites....it's called DOGFART.  I think they've addressed this situation once or twice.  Believe me, you don't want to know what happened when your wife got home with the groceries. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When we had our basement finished I installed a programmable lock on the exterior basement door and locked the door going upstairs.  When they left I reprogrammed the lock.
This is the shark move.   Something similar that you would use for maids.   Don't all FBG's have maids?

I wouldnt let anyone roam my house unless I was home to show them where the most expensive valuables are. 

I have seem some early episodes of the League.   Do not recall this plot. 
I think it was the most recent season available on Netflix.  I suggest checking it out to see the downside of this offer.  I don't suggest watching it with your wife, to avoid the "I told you so" situation.

I'd leave it open, but I really don't have anything terrible valuable that I'd be worried about them taking.  Would lock all the bedroom doors.  

I'll let 'em use the restroom. I even usually buy them lunch, and make sure to take an order in the morning before I head off to work. Something like:

"Hey, I'm buying your lunch today. What do you guys want? I'll be back around noon."

I'll also leave a cooler of cold drinks. That extra $100 I spend goes a long way to them doing a good job and cleaning up after themselves. You treat them well, they treat your home well. 

Users who are viewing this thread