What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to sleep on long flights? (1 Viewer)

fasteddie_21

2006 NM Poker Champ
I know that there are quite a few on here that travel often for work (and chet, for leisure), so I was looking for advice. I have an overnight flight from Chicago to Heathrow and then the return flight is in the afternoon/evening in October. Suggestions on how to make it thru the flights (esp the overnight flight)? I'd love to sleep, but not sure how easy that'll be, even though I did pay to upgrade to an exit row window seat. I'd appreciate advice.

I find drinking heavily and then closing my eyes works pretty well. The hum of the engines is like a tonic for me too. I'm not much of a plane sleeper, but usually have no trouble if it's necessary. Usually just overnight west to east flights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you put your seat in full reclline as soon as you sit down.  You want to set expectations from jump.

dutch said:
Make sure you put your seat in full reclline as soon as you sit down.  You want to set expectations from jump.
Goes without saying. And window seat with a pillow to lean on is mandatory.

Rub one out before boarding, take a melatonin,  load some white noise on your phone,  take a shot of patron.

Night night

Careful with Ambien if you're a light sleeper. Had a co-worker freak out on a flight from Tokyo. He took it 30 minutes after boarding and an hour after take off he woke up completely out of it mumbled some crazy ####. Finally he went to sleep, but it was really weird.

had a bond salesman from NY come in and take me out to dinner when I worked on a trading desk.  he's been in the business a while and these guys apparently, way back in the day, used to actually take roofies during long (12+ hours) flights to sleep.  well apparently one guy took one, woke up twelve hours and 15 minutes later, looked at his watch, thought he only slept 15 minutes, and took another.  flight landed like an hour later and dude was ####ed up.  almost got arrested in bangkok or some ####.  not what you want.

had a bond salesman from NY come in and take me out to dinner when I worked on a trading desk.  he's been in the business a while and these guys apparently, way back in the day, used to actually take roofies during long (12+ hours) flights to sleep.  well apparently one guy took one, woke up twelve hours and 15 minutes later, looked at his watch, thought he only slept 15 minutes, and took another.  flight landed like an hour later and dude was ####ed up.  almost got arrested in bangkok or some ####.  not what you want.
double :lmao:

bigmarc27 said:
Ambien is like getting hooked up to an IV, fantastic for longer flights. I used to have it prescribed for me when I traveled internationally for work, awesome stuff.

Ambien is something you need to try out first at home, preferably in the company of another person so you dont end up being that rare case where you wake up behind the wheel of your car 5 towns over.  

I used to sleep on planes all the time, but now not so much. I recently had the revelation that I used to be drunk on pretty much every flight.

I recently flew from Philly to Heathrow a few weeks ago overnight. I went to my doctor and got a script for Xanax before my trip. I took a 1mg pill an hour before the flight and then when about 15 minutes after the plane took off I took a 3 mg melatonin. I was fast asleep about 30 minutes after departure and woke up as we were landing feeling great. 

I stayed up for the flight back since it was during the day and I wanted to get my internal clock back to eastern standard time. 

neck pillow (seriously), t-shirt over your face, close your eyes and don't think "i've got to fall asleep".. just relax and it will happen.

i'm a champion plane sleeper. just sitting in those seats makes me drool and snore.

neck pillow (seriously), t-shirt over your face, close your eyes and don't think "i've got to fall asleep".. just relax and it will happen.

i'm a champion plane sleeper. just sitting in those seats makes me drool and snore.
1.  Several drinks.  I prefer wine for sleeping on planes, but a couple of airplane bottles of whiskey in yer bag is a nice backup plan.

2.  Neck pillow.  Absolutely.   Eye mask.  I also like to bring a set of shop ear muffs, or over the ear headphones with noise reduction.    Bringing three items to help you sleep might seem excessive, but it's worth it.   

3. Profit.

explain plz

How about some good ol' fashioned exercise prior to the flight coupled with some great conversation with the person sitting next to you?

Or jacking off, pills, and booze.

Never had a problem sleeping on international flights.  Big fan of the first class seating and the fact you actually can stretch out horizontally.  

Never had a problem sleeping on international flights.  Big fan of the first class seating and the fact you actually can stretch out horizontally.  
What about the half dozen or so of us on the board that can't afford first class?

Can't help you. Don't fly much these days, but I've never been able to stay awake on a plane no matter how hard I try. I snooze like a baby even on 45 minute flights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I trained myself when I was in the military to sleep on flights.  Now I get on a two hour flight and I'm sleeping 10 minutes after takeoff, sometimes I wake up to an empty plane. 

you guys talking about Xanax:  assuming I don't have a 'guy', how do I go about getting some?  do you just find a shady doctor like Spencer does in Ballers?

Users who are viewing this thread