What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stacking QB-WR/TE this year? (1 Viewer)

Timmay

Footballguy
Is anyone going into their draft with certain targeted stacks for QB-WR/TE? Maybe reaching on a QB-WR/TE in order to pair with another stud. A lot of this depends on your draft pick in the first round to pair with a super stud, but wondering what people are thinking as the most ideal QB-WR/TE stacks. 

Do you purposely target stacks or stay away from them? 

Some stacks that come to mind right away:

Roethlisberger-Brown

Ryan-Julio

Eli-OBJ

Dalton-Green

Romo-Dez

Luck-TY/Moncreif

Rodgers-Jordy/Cobb

Brady-Edelman/Gronk

Brees-Cooks

Palmer-Floyd/Fitz

Fitzpatrick-Marshall/Decker

Bortles-Robinson/Hurns

Winston-Evans

Cutler-Alshon

Rivers-Allen

Cam-Benjamin/Olsen

Cousins-Reed/Desean

I really like the Brees-Cooks combo, but i've been waiting until the later rounds to find a value QB, so I havent reached for Brees yet. Some other stacks that interest me is Bortles-Robinson, Fitz-Marshall/Decker, Eli-OBJ, Winston-Evans.   

I go where the value is and who I think scores the most points. I don't try to stack on purpose but don't mind it if it happens

I go where the value is and who I think scores the most points. I don't try to stack on purpose but don't mind it if it happens
This

Stack/hookup/etc...whatever people want to call it, it's not an advantage. I don't try for it nor go out of my way to avoid it. 

If two guys are in the same tier I absolutely look to stack.  This is a weekly game; if the WR goes off that means the QB had a good day and you are that much more likely to win your weekly match. I have made stacking a part of my strategy for years and it has worked out very well.

If two guys are in the same tier I absolutely look to stack.  This is a weekly game; if the WR goes off that means the QB had a good day and you are that much more likely to win your weekly match. I have made stacking a part of my strategy for years and it has worked out very well.
You arelikely to lose as many weeks when your QB has a bad day as you gain when your combo "goes off."  In the long run, it doesn't have the impact you think it does...it's just exciting to see the double-points tick up, and you don't get the same visceral response when the connection misfires and no points score.

What stacking does do is alter the variance in your scoring.  You will have smaller spreads of expected value than without the stack.  That can favor you if you are expected to win, but hurts you if you are expected to lose.

Not necessarily. 6 catches for 120 yards and 1 TD is a good game from a WR. 220 yards passing with 1 paTD is not a good game from a QB.

The ODB/Eli combo will be popular this season (I would bet) amongst those owners who like to stack/hookup/etc. And it will be great the weeks Eli has 350/3 and ODB gets 150/2 of that. It will suck the weeks Eli goes for 185/0 and 3 INT.

I don't see the benefit of seeking out stacking. I'll take it if it matches up with my ranking and who I'm looking to draft, but I wont skip 2-3 players to take a lower rated player just to stack. 

I definitely like it if you can identify the monster season from an undervalued combo.  Luck/TY.  Winston/Evans.  Carr/Cooper.  Those pairs strike me as combinations that could be in store for big years, but you don't have to pay the premium prices. 

If you have a QB/WR combo that is consistently hooking up for big games and scores on a weekly basis you can annihilate the competition.

My most recent success from stacking, sort of by luck, was by taking Bortles with a late round pick, and pairing him with Robinson who i took much earlier. Grant it they both had better than expected years, and Bortles also wasnt my first choice at QB (also had Rodgers), but he ended up carrying me at the end of the season when they both performed well down the stretch. 

If you were to stack, maybe the better route would be to take some late round flyers on some stacks with high upsides but arent going to cost you too much. For instance, depending which WR you take early on you can pair them with the likes of Winston, Fitzy, Dalton, Cousins. Players who can be had much later in drafts and arent going to cost you your season if they dont pan out. But it would be a nice way to exploit matchups throughout the year. 

You arelikely to lose as many weeks when your QB has a bad day as you gain when your combo "goes off."  In the long run, it doesn't have the impact you think it does...it's just exciting to see the double-points tick up, and you don't get the same visceral response when the connection misfires and no points score.

What stacking does do is alter the variance in your scoring.  You will have smaller spreads of expected value than without the stack.  That can favor you if you are expected to win, but hurts you if you are expected to lose.
I model data for a living.  My monte carlo projection says stacking works better than not. It's a small benefit but it is absolutely worth doing if you're not sacrificing overall value.  The days when the WR doesn't go off the QB is just scoring to someone else OR you may have lost otherwise.  There are more net gains to wins than net losses to losing.  

Ah, the mythological "combo" - so funny how people obsess over getting the dual TD. 

A numbet of years ago, this was a raging debate - to pair QB-WR-TE or not to pair. 

My take has always been if the player on the board is the best value when I pick, and it just happens to give me the stack/combo then sure, why not.

but I'm not gonna forego value to get the combo, as if it gives you more value by having both. That's mathematically illogical. 

1.01 dude in my last PPR draft took Big Ben with his 3rd pick over guys like Wilson, Brees. We asked why the hell he'd do that and he said "I wanted that combo!" 

Ok, but he ruined the value of Roethlisburger in the 4-5-6 round to do it. 

The bottom line is that your QB is gonna score points and your WR is gonna score points. You want them to score as many points as possible whether they're connected or not.

that all said, there is definitely a thrill or a psychological aspect to having the combo/double TDs. But if your QB throws 3 & your WR catches 1, it's itrelevant that they are or aren't wearing the same uniform.  

As such I would never pass up actual (projected) value for the perception that the combo gives a team some kind of mystical edge. 

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that as random luck.

But there's definitely a downside to the stack in that by not diversifying, if your QB has a terible week, you're almost guaranteed to get poor performance from your "stacked" WR.

just because it's worked doesn't mean it's sound.

The "stack" puts all the eggs in one basket. If your QB/WR combo  is facing a top tier pass D, you're now hurt in 2 positions for doing it. :)  

In my eyes, stacking makes more sense as a weekly strategy to take advantage of good matchups.  I'm excited when my combo hits the Saints or the NYG, not so much when they're facing the Broncos or Carolina.  Because of this, if I've got a weekly starter at QB, then I'm not gonna worry about it much.  But if I'm streaming, then I absolutely am looking to stack if practicable.

In my eyes, stacking makes more sense as a weekly strategy to take advantage of good matchups.  I'm excited when my combo hits the Saints or the NYG, not so much when they're facing the Broncos or Carolina.  Because of this, if I've got a weekly starter at QB, then I'm not gonna worry about it much.  But if I'm streaming, then I absolutely am looking to stack if practicable.
This seems more useful in DFS than in season long fantasy play. Would I be upset if I ended up with Eli/OBJ or Ben/Brown? No. But I'm not going to go out of my way to make sure I have them. The problem is that if your QB has a bad day, that means your WR is more than likely going to have a bad day. I'd rather have my players diversified instead of stacking them with 1 team. A guy won one of my leagues last year with a Ryan/Julio/Freeman stack for most of the year. But down the stretch, Cousins was his QB and Freeman wasn't putting up quite as big of numbers.

I don't feel the need to stack an elite QB with their elite WR1.....but later in my drafts, I do find myself looking more in depth at the WR2 and WR3 of an elite QB I might have drafted.  

It's a great point - weekly "stacking" for DFS makes much more sense. If you see Rodgers against a bottom 3 pass defense, it would be smart to have (at least) Nelson and possible both Nelson & Cobb. 

For DFS it's potentially viable - though it does increase risk if there's an unexpected outcome. You tank 2-3 roster spots for the week instead of 1. 

Users who are viewing this thread